Menu

I feel like crying... DS frustrations...

My son has bad handwriting. And by that I mean very very bad. He's just plain sloppy in everything he touches. It's not just the handwriting.

Today he hands me his homework so I can scan them before sending them to his long distance teacher - our first year doing long distance. The 20 pages are so sloppy they're disgusting. His geometry work is absolutely awful. None of the lines are actually going through the points as they're supposed to. They're very off! The whole thing is an absolute mess. The 20 pages were done over 4 days, and he could use as much time as he needed because there's was nothing else to do on those homework days. And he did spend time on them. Easily an hour to an hour and a half on each subject (there are 3 subjects). He did drafts, and revisions, and all the work. But the final result? If I were a teacher, I would throw them in the garbage can without a glance...

And so far, all his teachers have commented on his handwriting. He's lost points already when a teacher can't read what he wrote. But still, no effort on his part. :banghead: I'm just so discouraged.

My son has bad handwriting. And by that I mean very very bad. He's just plain sloppy in everything he touches. It's not just the handwriting.

Today he hands me his homework so I can scan them before sending them to his long distance teacher - our first year doing long distance. The 20 pages are so sloppy they're disgusting. His geometry work is absolutely awful. None of the lines are actually going through the points as they're supposed to. They're very off! The whole thing is an absolute mess. The 20 pages were done over 4 days, and he could use as much time as he needed because there's was nothing else to do on those homework days. And he did spend time on them. Easily an hour to an hour and a half on each subject (there are 3 subjects). He did drafts, and revisions, and all the work. But the final result? If I were a teacher, I would throw them in the garbage can without a glance...

And so far, all his teachers have commented on his handwriting. He's lost points already when a teacher can't read what he wrote. But still, no effort on his part. :banghead: I'm just so discouraged.

Awwww.....I'm so sorry. I have no wisdom to offer...has he gone through HWTs? That helped my neighbor's ds. He is only 8 though. He, although clearly right handed, was forming his letters like a leftie..and very sloppily as well. After going through one book of HWT printing...his writing is MUCH better.

I know that this is not easy, but I saw that your ds is 11yo. I would, without comment to ds, send those papers on to the teacher. I would include a note from me that made it clear that the teacher may want to "throw the papers in a garbage can" and let ds know that this work will remain unacceptable.

Difficult, but I do believe that your ds may not make any effort at change until he HAS to. HTH

Kim

In the DL programs where I am, many, many kids are dysgraphic.

I would put a sticky note on it to the teacher too but I'd say this :

"I observed that (name) worked very hard on this. I know his handwriting may be hard for you to read. It's possible he's dysgraphic and I ask you to take that into account when marking his work."

You can work on his handwriting next year or wait and see if it improves with age & yes, focus on typing for the non math things.

I have heard some dl kids here submit their work orally - either in person to the teacher or make videos of themselves explaining how they got a math answer etc. because of issues with writing.

I know he can't type math, but could he type his other work?

With this particular school, he can't. Work has to be handed in on their particular type of paper, and Europe has a different format than here, so their paper won't fit in our printer. But even if it did, he's not allowed. France requires all students to hand write everything till at least the end of high school. And everyone starts writing cursive in Kinder. No bloc printing allowed. Thankfully (in a sense) my son only wants to use cursive, so at least I don't have to fight him on that.

I know that this is not easy, but I saw that your ds is 11yo. I would, without comment to ds, send those papers on to the teacher. I would include a note from me that made it clear that the teacher may want to "throw the papers in a garbage can" and let ds know that this work will remain unacceptable.

That's what I'm getting ready to do. First few homeworks, he sent as is, an got dismal marks. Then I sat behind him, and breathed down his neck constantly. He got 20/20 on those homeworks! And I didn't give him any answers, I just made sure he read the instructions properly, without skipping the end of said instructions. And made sure his handwriting was at least legible. Lots of white corrector stuff on those papers! This time I let him on his own again, and it's a disaster again.

has he gone through HWTs? That helped my neighbor's ds.

I'm not sure HWT will help. First, we're dealing with cursive and cursive only. Then the problem is more wide spread. He doesn't see his graphical errors.

I understand. My son at 10 yrs. of age, well you could NOT read what he wrote. I spent 20 minutes a day reteaching the writing of every letter and made him practice. I sat next to him for several assignments (about 1/2-1 hr. per day for "written work") and I made him erase every sloppy letter and re-write it. Then I made him rewrite every sloppy letter 10 times correctly. I felt so mean! BUT, it took a couple months and ever since, his writing is legible. I think he knew I meant it and he had no other choice... He is 11-1/2 and I still make him re-write m and a often, sometimes up to 100 times because he will rush and these particular letters look terrible. Now, call me picky, but I've had great results and this is with a child with learning disabilities. IMO, he is going to have to fill out applications and insurance forms and people need to be able to read what he wrote or it just wont matter - if they can't read an application, will he get the job? Sure, there is typing and on-line applications now... but some days you have to write. Now he can do it and it is legible.

My son had atrocious writing. When he finally got frustrated w/his own sloppiness, I got him a Zaner-Bloser handwriting workbook. He's done half the grade 4 book so far, and has had a huge improvement overall. He seems to notice the shape and sizing of his letters now. He notices when his 'o' looks more like an 'a', etc. We like the books because they're grade-appropriate. I've never tried any of the other handwriting programs so I can't compare.

Most of my high school English grades were 'merit' based because the teacher 'trusted' that I did the assignment--I always made A's. It was impossible to read my writing.

In grade school I was punished (even spanked) for messy work--'rushing', 'not paying attention', being 'sloppy'... you name it. Again if I had not been gifted in academics then I would not have survived!

I practiced for HOURS even in high school... Eventually (in college) I learned to 'draw' my letters (uses a different part of the brain) and I had better control. I'm a teacher and I can write very neatly on a chalk/white board--but my notes home to parents take MANY MANY copies.

I usually purchase DOUBLE the number of Christmas cards--or at least extra envelopes because my writing is so poor...

Typing my papers saved me in college! Printing (block) did too.

If your son's poor handwriting causes difficulty in his Math classes have him work the problem first on a white board or on scrap paper that is NOT lined--some old colored junk mail/scrap paper works great--discarded envelopes from mail (writing on the back) is also good. Colored pencils are an added bonus. What this does is it forces his RIGHT BRAIN to join in --and usually the writing is easier to read. I've used this with several severely dysgraphic math students and it worked wonders! Once the problem is correct then they can usually COPY it on their 'turn in' paper.

If your son could possibly find some official tester to declare him dysgraphic then YOU could copy his work on the 'turn in' paper--and attach his own version of work for proof that he did the assignment.

This is a REAL mental disability--not an issue of laziness.

When you hover over him his brain is distracted enough that the right brain kicks in to help out--and his work is more legible...

If your son's poor handwriting causes difficulty in his Math classes have him work the problem first on a white board or on scrap paper that is NOT lined--

This is a REAL mental disability--not an issue of laziness.

My dd(11) has dysgraphia. Using a whiteboard and colored dry-erase pens has been very helpful for her for Math.

Cleo, HWT has been a very good writing program for my dd and I wanted to let you know that cursive workbooks are available. She's working through the beginning cursive book now and there's another cursive book to be used after that.

I have a dd with fine motor difficulties. Her handwriting is basically illegible. As a matter of fact, her 8 y.o. brother has neater handwriting. With my daughter, it is disability-related. She literally cannot write neatly, no matter how hard she tries or how many tears of frustration she cries.

:grouphug: Your ds is probably discouraged too. If you've got a sense that he's genuinely not trying, then allowing him to experience the consequences of lack of effort (poor grades, having to re-do work) is absolutely appropriate. And if he is making a reasonable effort, it is unfair to throw out the work, penalizing him for something he cannot control.

It sounds as though a consultation with an occupational therapist might be very helpful. I'd also contact his long-distance teachers and ask what they've found helpful with past students who've struggled with genuine writing difficulties and what they'd recommend in this situation. It is absolutely crucial that his handwriting abilities not hold him back academically.

Cat

HWT has cursive and is available in French. Or at least it used to be, because I have the French editions.

I would recommend an occupational therapy eval. I would get the HWT french edition for the first level of cursive and work through it and then the next level. I would work with the OT on specific hand and upper body strengthening. I know your son swims and that's great, but he may need more.

I know you really wanted your ds in this program. However, you may need to consider that a program and schools that rigidly adhere to one method may not be good for your ds or family. My ds is allowed to typed everything that can be typed. His teachers started asking for that the first week of school and he computer/wordprocessor availability to him in all classes for any written work no matter how small.

Are you speaking of A4 paper? There are printers available that use this. I'd push for an accomodation if you get medication documentation from an OT. I don't know how French schools handle disabilities, but this is a real disability.

Have you had your ds' eyes checked by a developmental optometrist?

Ds 9 has always struggled with handwriting; we had his eyes checked last year by our regular opthamologist, who indicated that he didn't have problems with his vision. However, when I had his eyes checked this year, I took him to a developmental optometrist, who found that he is near sighted in one eye, and far sighted in the other. This explains why he always tipped his head to read and write; he was compensating by using his "good" eye for these tasks.

He also has convergence issues, which make it hard for him to focus, and visual tracking issues, which make it difficult for his eyes to work together.

Since getting glasses two weeks ago, and beginning vision therapy, he is much less frustrated while doing activities that require handwriting.

I used Peterson Directed Handwriting with him.

We had a similar problem, but the difference was he had nice handwriting at one point, and it deteriorated. So I knew he *could* do it and did not have any of the possible problems that the other posters have suggested might be an issue. The problem was solved when I *did* throw his papers into the trash and he had to do them over. I, truly, could not read them.

Drew's younger, but...

I've seen my son's good penmanship. When he started writing sloppy (rushing), I tried breathing down his neck. Then, I found out that I could draw the line (so-to-speak). I started chucking his homework in the trash. "I will not allow you to turn this in. Sit down, write it correctly, and we'll try this again." It didn't help his penmanship at school, but his homework was always done in his best penmanship.

We are also really big on, 'when you are out in public you are representing your entire family. Behave as such.'

Now that he's doing cursive, he loves to write nicely, so there's not much of a problem.

For my dysgraphic, cursive was better than print. She couldn't reverse letters using cursive, also it seemed to "trick" her brain. Its still atrocious, but OT helped some. We type, type, type here. Slowly but surely, she is making progress with spelling (she leaves letter out or reverses their order) using Sequential Spelling.

We haven't had much experience with outside classes. She did take a spanish class last year, but the writing was minimal, and we typed her flash cards, so no problems there. I am just praying that the SATs will be typed by the time she takes them (she's 10) as she is a phenomenal writer...if you could just read her handwriting!!