Menu

April Healthy Eating

Selkie

I'm going to work on posting here this month.  I need the accountability.  After having breast cancer a few years ago, I started eating a wfpb diet and felt great.  Slowly, some other foods moved in, mostly because the other members of my family don't eat this way and I was losing willpower.😬  Lately, I have had many episodes of angioedema (swelling), which my doctor can find no reason for.  I don't like taking allergy medicine so often, so hoping getting back to wfpb will help.  It certainly can't hurt!

• Like 6

Breakfast: mango and a few walnuts

Lunch: salad with greens and greenhouse grown tomato from farmers market, herbs from my garden, topped with pumpkin seeds, hemp hearts and flax, Dr Fuhrman’s recipe for homemade dressing. Vegan gluten free chocolate cupcake from one of the vendors at the market. (I buy sprouted seeds and nuts for him, but occasionally buy one of his baked items. It has been a rough three weeks and the cupcake looked yummy.)

Supper, out: chips/salsa, three vegan tacos 

I will likely have a bowl of frozen cherries later 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, appyonthebeach said:

I'm going to work on posting here this month.  I need the accountability.  After having breast cancer a few years ago, I started eating a wfpb diet and felt great.  Slowly, some other foods moved in, mostly because the other members of my family don't eat this way and I was losing willpower.😬  Lately, I have had many episodes of angioedema (swelling), which my doctor can find no reason for.  I don't like taking allergy medicine so often, so hoping getting back to wfpb will help.  It certainly can't hurt!

Welcome! I hope you quickly get back to feeling great. It’s hard when the rest of your family eats differently.

• Like 6

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with soybeans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, dragon fruit, passion fruit, kiwi, guava, apple, pear, longans, pineapple, Galia melon, blueberries, blackberries, pomegranate, fig, apricot, barberries, sour cherries, banana, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, seaweed, spaghetti squash, carrot, tomato, garlic, almonds, sesame seeds, beets, edamame, WFPB Greek vinaigrette. A blood orange.

Dinner - Clean out the fridge tacos - basically throwing everything that needed to be used up in tortillas. Diced black bean burger, crispy tofu, roasted purple potato wedges, steamed broccoli, leftover Mexican veggie mix, lentils - topped with avocado, scallions, cashew sour cream, cilantro, and salsa.

• Like 6

Saturday-

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon crunch granola with coconut yogurt 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin; two squares of dark chocolate 

snack - chickpea veggie chips (Rice Flour, Chickpea Flour, Dried Green Peas, Sunflower Oil, Dried Black Beans, Dried Purple Sweet Potato, Cane Sugar, Sea Salt, Calcium Lactate, Salt, Vegetable Juice (Color), Mixed Tocopherols (Antioxidant)  Because I wanted something chippy even if it raises my blood sugars 

Dinner-  slice of slightly off tasting gf bread that I made from a gf bread mix that expired in 2017. But I don’t like to waste food. 

bowl of soup (shredded chicken, onions, celery, garlic, carrots, broccoli, bok choy, broccoli, yellow summer squash, zucchini, sugar snap peas, red, yellow and green bell peppers, lime juice). 

• Like 6

Happy April! Today was a driving and sitting day, watching dd18's last gig with the local high school choir.

zucchini, onion, egg whites

a coffee and a cookie for lunch (the best options from a school boosters concession in the middle of nowhere, but a nice homemade cookie!)

nori roll and veggie stir fry with peanuts for dinner

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Selkie said:

Welcome! I hope you quickly get back to feeling great. It’s hard when the rest of your family eats differently.

Thank you!❤️

Yesterday (Saturday) I had:

coffee with half and half - really trying to wean myself off of the half and half

breakfast - smoothie with protein powder, frozen banana, spinach, grape tomatoes and clementine, oatmeal

lunch - baked potato (mixed in some violife vegan cream cheese and cilantro), roasted baby carrots , Bobo's oat bite

dinner - cut up a baked potato and mixed with black beans and Trader Joes tikka masala sauce over quinoa - very yummy!  salad on the side

before bed snack - chocolate cherry/banana nice cream

• Like 6

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Dominican red beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, raspberries, blueberries, banana, passion fruit, dragon fruit, kiwi, longans, guava, fig, apricot, sour cherries, barberries, pineapple, Galia melon, lemon and lime zest, apple, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Almond flour tortilla with cheezy chickpeas (Esselstyn’s recipe), leftover Mexican veggies, avocado, cashew sour cream, scallions, shredded red cabbage, salsa. A Cara Cara orange.

Dinner - Thai red curry Brussels sprouts soup (Monkey & Me recipe) from the freezer. I served it over a whole grain mix of buckwheat groats and several kinds of rice (black, brown, red, and wild) and steamed veggies (asparagus, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower). Also threw in some crispy tofu cubes. This was a delicious and very filling combo of ingredients.

• Like 6

Sunday

Breakfast: banana with blueberries, walnuts, flax meal and almond milk, figs and guava

Lunch: asparagus salad; quinoa bowl with salmon, shredded carrots, avocado, cilantro, pickled onion

Dinner: Superfood soup made with spinach, tofu, onion, mushrooms and miso

• Like 6

Breakfast, prior to early morning hot yoga: green apple and a few walnuts

Second breakfast, after yoga: oatmeal, sweetened with a few dates, unsweetened coconut and a bit of almond butter

Harvested carrots from the garden and ate several of them, which ended up being my lunch 

Supper: large salad (beet greens from my garden - from farmer’s market: lettuce, tomato, sugar snap peas. Beans for protein.I topped my salad with pumpkin seeds, ground flax seed and hemp hearts. Dr Fuhrman’s recipe for no oil salad dressing.) roasted garlic hummus with more homegrown organic carrots and socca. (Socca: chickpea flour, equal parts flour and water, seasoning as desired.) Ended supper with mango and banana fruit salad, tossed with bit of fresh orange juice. 

• Like 7

sunday _ breakfast  coffee with half and half, smoothies with banana, clementine, apple, kale, grape tomatoes, protein powder and greens powder,  small bowl of leftover oatmeal

lunch - leftover potato, black beans and quinoa with tikka masala sauce, salad, a macaroon

dinner, big salad, small scoop of chicken pot pie filling on the side

• Like 6

Reporting on myself that we have been at our bachelor sons' home for three days, and they have wanted to eat and have us cook all their favorite things. We obliged.

Health was NOT a consideration for those two! I am a sucker for making them happy.

So, no report. Just put me in the dog house.

We will try to get back on track today.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Jumping in here.  My goal for this month is to be mindful of sugar and empty carbs.

Dinner last night was power bowls: rice & beans, charred corn, a homemade pico, grilled chicken, avocado.  Dh grilled up the rest of the chicken in the pack to use for lunch options this week.

Breakfast: egg & whole wheat toast, cup of coffee. 

• Like 7

Monday

Breakfast: banana, walnuts, flax and blueberries with almond milk

Lunch: Forks Over Knives wrap with hummus, avocado, sprouts, tomato and spinach

Supper: I didn't have enought time to make anything for work, so I grabbed and assortment of items, a banana, mandarin, pistacios, dried figs and Dandy Blend

• Like 6

Cleaning fuel for me today included 3 cups of coffee and 2 espressos.  I'll reel this in tomorrow.

half a boiled egg and some walnuts

salad of new greens from a farm near here, avocado, red cabbage, tomato, walnuts

curried ground turkey, black beans, and sweet potato which sounds weird but was quite tasty

• Like 6

Monday - 

Breakfast - A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar while running errands. Breakfast bowl with beluga lentils, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, kiwi, banana, mango, apple, strawberries, peaches, pomegranate, blueberries, fig, apricot, sour cherries, barberries, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Almond flour tortilla with cheezy chickpeas, the last of the Mexican veggies, avocado, cashew sour cream, shredded Brussels sprouts. A blood orange.

Dinner - BBQ tofu wraps, steamed veggies (asparagus, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower), and Monkey & Me’s Amish macaroni salad (I subbed fresh pineapple juice for maple syrup and it turned out great - got that idea from the Fiber Fueled Cookbook).

• Like 5

So behind on reporting in here.

Monday

Breakfast--tea (NS), oatmeal with mixed berries, pecans, cashew milk, and a sprinkle of sugar. I usually go for maple syrup (way healthier and lower fructose) but grabbed the sugar container without thinking.

Lunch--Italian meat sauce on rice (easier to grab rice than make gf noodles), pancit, blueberries

Snack--decaf coffee with cashew milk, cinnamon, and a splash of maple syrup

Dinner--huge salad with a chicken thigh, later some popcorn and orange juice

The weekend was hugely busy--I was pleased that I did not eat between-meals snacks (not even my beloved dark chocolate) and that I remembered to grab an apple and some oat bran muffins to have for lunch while I was out all day yesterday.

• Like 5

Monday 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, two squares of chocolate 

dinner- salmon, roasted vegetables (broccoli, carrots, onions, green, yellow, red and orange peppers, yellow squash, sugar snap peas, celery, zucchini); brown rice. 

two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 6

Breakfast: frozen cherries and a few walnuts, before early morning ENT appt

Second breakfast: oatmeal with almond butter, sweetened with dried dates, before personal training. First personal training session in 3 weeks due to health issues. It was rough, but so nice to start getting back in the routine. 

Lunch: a bit of leftover socca, carrots from my garden, hummus

Snack: Energy bar to get me through hot yoga class (Hm  I need to look at the ingredient label again. I buy these from a vendor at the farmer’s market who has his product in local Whole Foods.) 

Supper: large salad with tomato, black beans and sugar snap peas, homemade no oil salad dressing, topped with raw sprouted sunflower seeds and ground flax

I am starting to ramp up my flax/omega 3 consumption. Ideas for working more in, besides on salad and oatmeal? 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, GoVanGogh said:

I am starting to ramp up my flax/omega 3 consumption. Ideas for working more in, besides on salad and oatmeal? 

Jane and Ann Esselstyn have a couple kinds of flax biscuits in their latest cookbook that are really good.

And I haven't tried these yet, but they have seed & nut bark and a seed & millet cracker that both contain flax. Let me know if you would like the recipes! 

• Like 5

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar while running errands. Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with French lentils, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, longans, banana, Galia melon, pineapple, mango, kiwi, guava, apple, pear, blueberries, raspberries, pomegranate, fig, apricot, sour cherries, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Ezekiel toast with mashed avocado, garlic, sesame seeds, sriracha, kale microgreens. A Cara Cara orange.

Dinner - Repeat of last night. BBQ tofu wrap, steamed veggies (asparagus, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower), and Monkey & Me’s macaroni salad.

• Like 6

Tuesday - breakfast - coffee with half and half, large smoothie with various fruits, veggies, protein powder and greens powder

lunch - oatmeal with strawberries, craisins and walnuts, lara bar

dinner - leftover tikka masala sauce over potatoes, black beans and quinoa, salad on other half of plate

Edited by appyonthebeach
today is Tuesday, not Monday
  • Like 6

Tuesday 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, two squares of chocolate 

dinner- cauliflower/cassava tortilla; ground beef, corn, black beans, onions, red peppers; mild guacamole 

two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Selkie said:

Jane and Ann Esselstyn have a couple kinds of flax biscuits in their latest cookbook that are really good.

And I haven't tried these yet, but they have seed & nut bark and a seed & millet cracker that both contain flax. Let me know if you would like the recipes! 

The Woman Warriors cookbook? I bought it, just, um, can’t find it right now. Will dig through my stacks. Thanks for reminding me!

• Like 5

Tuesday

Breakfast: banana, walnuts, blueberries, flax meal and almond milk

Lunch: ezekiel toast with hummus, avocado, tomato and sprouts; huge salad; figs with feta

Dinner: salad with boiled egg; banana; mandarin orange

• Like 6

Today was not my best eating day. 
Breakfast: oatmeal with dates and ground flax, frozen cherries 

Kinda downhill from there. Had a board meeting this morning, which was long and boring and wore me out. Stopped and got a gluten free cookie after the meeting, which ended up being my lunch. Not eating a proper lunch + being tired put me in a funk = non-productive afternoon. 

Supper: Taco Tuesday at one of my fav restaurants. Two vegan tacos on corn tortillas, chips and quac.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GoVanGogh said:

The Woman Warriors cookbook? I bought it, just, um, can’t find it right now. Will dig through my stacks. Thanks for reminding me!

Yep, that's the one - and I can relate. There are several newly-purchased cookbooks scattered in various spots around my house at this moment...

• Like 4

On 4/3/2023 at 9:32 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

roasted vegetables (broccoli, carrots, onions, green, yellow, red and orange peppers, yellow squash, sugar snap peas, celery, zucchini);

nice visual of a rainbow plate!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm trying another experiment.  My no-snack, low salt, low oil weeks were fine but didn't change anything in terms of feeling bloated or weight gain.  I already eat very low sugar and almost no wheat.  For April I am going to try no corn or rice.  These plus wheat seem to be the triggers that make me feel weird and are definitely the things I crave. So yesterday I ate a lot to make sure I didn't eat these, though that involved snacking all day.  As I adjust to not having corn, rice, or wheat I will reel back in the snacks but for now I will go with it to tamp down the cravings for these specific grains.

Zucchini, scallion, sweet potato, egg fritters with fresh salsa

A date, an apple, some oatmeal with apples and cinnamon

Almond butter, hummus, carrots, sugar snap peas

Baked beans, red cabbage, walnuts

• Like 6

Well, okay. Trying to get back on track.

Monday we did not eat breakfast, slayed the coffee, and then had big salads at lunch with one boiled egg each. For dinner, I made a huge pot of beef stew. Lean beef, and not a lot of it. Six large carrots, one whole large sweet onion, one can of kidney beans, 3 long celery stalks plus I used the leaves to perfume the veggie broth, half a large bulb of garlic, 2 cups peas, 1 cup green beans, 1 pint of my home canned tomatoes run through the blender for more broth, generous oregano, a little basil, one whole red bell pepper, a little Very Old Barton bourbon. It came out great and a lot of servings of vegetables per two cup serving. I made Irish soda bread to eat with it which we toasted.

Tuesday: Coffee and a boiled egg, and then for the rest of the day we ate on the leftover stew and soda bread. 

Today I feel better after having so many veggies.

Wednesday:

We each had one slice of soda bread left, toasted it, and topped with peanut butter. Destroyed the coffee.

Lunch, there was one more small bowl of stew left for each of us. We are currently eating Clementine oranges.

Dinner is already planned. I have some mushrooms and more red pepper to use up before we leave tomorrow for Pennsylvania. So I am going to saute scallions, red pepper, and mushrooms, add two scrambled eggs a piece, and each with a fresh bagel which Mark is in the process of making now. No snacks. We both just want to get over the bloated feeling of not eating right, and knowing that it is going to be difficult to eat well at niece's with mother in law in tow, I am tackling food for the road trip.

Road trip food plan:

Broccoli, red pepper, celery, cherry tomato pasta salad with homemade Italian dressing. Done, in the fridge chilling.

Hummus with carrots, celery, and red pepper sticks.

Fresh bagels with peanut butter.

Honey roasted cashews

Lots of water which we are hauling with us in our camping jugs.

Mother in law is NOT pleased that we are not going to eat fast food all the way there and back. Mark told her too bad, and if she keeps complaining about it, the trip is off. She is quietly stewing. Same woman is now maxed out on dosage of 3 different BP meds, and a fourth med has been added. Kidneys functioning at 32%, but yup, she wants us to buy her fast food! 🙄😡 That is a HARD NO!

Edited by Faith-manor
Typos
  • Like 7

I'm taking a break from coffee and trying to eat better generally.

I bought some hemp hearts, and tried them this morning--I'd made some buckwheat cereal with cinnamon and a few pecan pieces, and I topped it with banana slices and blueberries, and then sprinkled on the hemp hearts. I liked it much better than milled flaxseed.

Last night, DH used more veggies than usual in the egg fried rice, because I'd prepped the veggies in advance.

Lunch today was a mushroom veggie burger patty (Dr. Praeger's) on a bun with a vegan cheezy sauce and fries. DS and I thought the sauce was okay, which is far better than my usual result for plant-based cheeses.

For dinner, we're going to try this Peruvian vegetable sandwich (sans mushrooms), with some pinto beans and tomatoes, roasted red potatoes, and corn. I'm going to have to prep the sandwich vegetables before we leave for tennis.

Edited by 73349
wrong doctor, lol
  • Like 8

I need to get a lot better about what I am eating after going to the doctor for a physical for the first time in atleast 20 plus years.

So far today

Apple with peanut butter and 5 chocolate chips.

single serving of light and fit greek yogurt with granola

2 decaf black teas with milk

A "salad"  Chicken, bag of broccoli, a pepper, and an   avocado, tiny amount of cheese, tomatoes, and some salad dressing.  

• Like 8

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Moro beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, blueberries, pomegranate, apple, pear, longans, kiwi, guava, pineapple, Solara melon, fig, apricot, sour cherries, banana, orange and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with tofu, beets, scallions, tomato, sauerkraut, shredded Brussels sprouts, cashew mayo, mustard.

Dinner - Dinner inspiration came from a Facebook post by the Hopeful Herbivore about her “beanadillas”. I cooked up some mashed pinto beans, soy curls, onions, garlic, green chiles, and loads of spices for the filling. Also had some leftover buckwheat/rice mixture in the fridge, and turned it Mexican by adding tomatoes, peppers, onions, and spices. Served everything with almond flour tortillas, guacamole, cashew sour cream, chopped Serranos, shredded red cabbage, and an excellent chipotle salsa hot sauce from Rancho Gordo.

• Like 8

Wednesday breakfast - coffee with half and half, large smoothie with fruits, veggies,avocado, chia seeds, protein powder and greens powder

lunch - salad topped with black beans and a scoop of gluten free macaroni and cheese, midafternoon had some crackers and hummus

dinner - gluten free pasta with sauteed veggies, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts and olives, snack - homemade graola

• Like 7

Wednesday 

lunch- Panera half fuji apple salad (Chicken raised without antibiotics, arugula, romaine, baby kale and red leaf blend, grape tomatoes, red onions, toasted pecan pieces, Gorgonzola and apple chips tossed in sweet white balsamic vinaigrette.); unsweetened iced tea , 2 squares of Dillatante dark chocolate with almonds 

Dinner -  scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, blueberries , bone broth 

two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 6

Breakfast: oatmeal and frozen cherries

Lunch: roasted red pepper hummus with homegrown carrots, socca, mango

Afternoon snack because three antibiotics in three weeks is killing my stomach: oatmeal 

Supper: Salad - spinach, black beans, celery, avocado, hemp hearts, raw sprouted sunflower seeds and homemade no oil dressing 

• Like 7

Wednesday

Breakfast—last of the pancit. Much as I love it I was getting tired of it. Plus though I made it with tons of veg, I was feeling like this was too much rice noodles.

Lunch—2eggs easy over with sautéed potato and onion

Snack—one strawberry covered with dark chocolate, one macaron

Dinner—pulled pork wrapped in corn tortillas, grapes

• Like 6

Lentils

Cooked gf oat bran with black pepper

More lentils with feta,  a lot of pistachios

Salad greens with lemony dressing, 2 dates, carrots, roasted brussel sprouts, onions, pork, potatoes

I feel pretty good today. If I made it three days without corn, rice, or wheat I can make it the whole month.  I'm planning to make quinoa tabouli tonight but might make some without the quinoa to not break my no-grain streak. 

• Like 6

Um thought I posted this month but guess not. 

I finished 'Fiber Fueled' and in the end decided not to do the plan. The plan is too specific with the recipes and I'm still busy. I am encouraged again to keep working on diversity and increasing my produce consumption. I'm just working on it slowly and steadily.

I'm not eating as much greens as I'd like so I'm going to try incorporating green smoothies into my day. I'm loosely using Goldner's recipes-- aiming to be primarily greens with a bit of greens, some water and unsweet almond milk, plus flax and/or chia. I'm not using the full amount she suggested but easing my way up. I have been eating 2 T of flax a day for a bit so I'm now aiming for 3T.

My smoothie yesterday was 1/2 large bunch lacinato kale -- 3 ish cups + 1ish cup frozen mango+ 3 Tbs flax+ mix of unsweet almond and water to thin it

This week's new foods I tried-

guava--- ok but seedy-- I need to look for some recipes for these

Sumo orange- loved the tart/sweet taste too bad they are usually too much for my budget- I found one on mark-down

jicama- I might have had this before but can't remember- loved it in a salad for tacos--- yumm

artichoke- had this maybe once before-- still didn't really like it but want to try again as I didn't hate it 

fennel- great in mixed roasted veggies (radish, carrot, red potato, fennel, Chinese eggplant ? (got from the Asian store and google popped this name not sure if it's right)

Today's plans:

blueberries + homemade granola/muesli (can't remember everything in there- gf oats/ combo of nuts and seeds- quinoa flakes)+ plain soy milk+ coconut milk yogurt

green smoothie- rest of large bunch of lacinato kale/mango/3 T flax/ unsweet almond milk/water

black beans/ jicama salad/homemade guac on corn tortillas

turkey chili

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I’m a terrible photographer, but like to share every once in a while when my breakfast is especially pretty. We’re having nasturtiums with our greens this morning.

D924F37A-E242-48CF-896D-6E73848DD5DD.jpeg

Thank you!

• Like 3