Menu

Unexpected guests, what to serve

Spryte

No meal needed, this is an after dinner thing. I won’t have much prep time at all. Elderly aunt and some other relatives I haven’t seen in 20 years.

We have changing allergies and I’m not adjusted to our new food options so coming up with something is hard.

Gluten free, nut free, sesame seed free, avocado and banana free, preferably dairy free but we can try to make that work (can keep anaphylactic person away from cheese). 

And I am on a low acid medical diet, so very limited in most options. Normally a charcuterie board would be my go-to. But I can serve items without eating them, so that can be my back up!

Any ideas for something I can toss together quickly, that will look (and taste) nice?

Edited by Spryte

Fruit platter - some easy fruits like berries and grapes that you can just rinse. A pineapple that is cored already and can be chopped quickly.

Veggie tray - veggies that are low prep - mini cucumbers, baby carrots, mini peppers

Small pickles

Cheese and gluten free crackers. Pepperoni? Hummus without sesame? 

Edited by kristin0713
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

are you want sweet or savory?  An ice cream with a non-dairy option? 

I think not sweet. Though something small could be good. I could ask DS to make cookies. Ice cream is tough here with the various allergies, though it sounds good!

If this is after dinner, I'd think along the lines of "very light and very refreshing".  Simple orange compote with cinnamon is lovely.  Or melon with lime. Or just sweet, juicy pineapple.  If you want something heartier, I'd go for a gluten-free mini-muffin--those work for sweet and savory.

• Like 2

Does your aunts have any dietary restrictions? After my recent very bad case of reflux/heartburn, I am not eating anything after dinner as I just don’t want to risk it.  Tea and light finger food like crackers would be okay since I can eat very slowly and drink lots of tea. 

• Like 1

By "unexpected guests" my first thought was that they showed up at the door unexpectedly and were in the house now. In this case, the food and drink would probably be cereal and milk, or nachos and salsa. I'll find them right after I clear some sitting space on the sofa. 🤪

It sounds like you have more warning time, so you may have time to run to a grocery store and buy a pre-made plate of assorted baked goods for the guest, and put out some food your gang can eat.

• Haha 2

Ok, so I won’t have time to make anything, sadly.

I am so envious of those of you who can buy hummus! Yum! With sesame allergy, we have to make it (sans tahini), and that’s not happening today. 

I decided to do sweet after all. I ordered a selection of cookies from our local safe bakery, and we will have coffee and tea, water, etc. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Spryte said:

Ok, so I won’t have time to make anything, sadly.

I am so envious of those of you who can buy hummus! Yum! With sesame allergy, we have to make it (sans tahini), and that’s not happening today. 

I decided to do sweet after all. I ordered a selection of cookies from our local safe bakery, and we will have coffee and tea, water, etc. 

That sounds fantastic, and relaxing, and less of a headache all round!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arctic Bunny said:

That sounds fantastic, and relaxing, and less of a headache all round!

It worked out perfectly. 

Yay for the allergy free bakery!

Thank you, everyone, for the wonderful ideas!

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Acorn said:

I like the idea of hummus and veggies and a fruit plate. We put canned chickpeas into blender with olive oil and random herbs or spices. Never tastes the same from one batch to another but always is good.

That sounds really good. I think we will be making something similar tomorrow, because yum!

• Like 1