Menu

natural deodorant...how do you choose?

ProudGrandma

Over the years I have tried many different brands....and I have yet to find one I think works for me...and I end up going back to a "regular" brand.  Maybe there is a trick to making the natural ones work....or something, because I always seem to detect BO (even though my husband says I don't stink)....but I don't make him smell my arm pits.  😁 

Have any of you found a brand you swear by or a method in knowing which one will work without spending so much money only find yet another brand you don't think works?

Thanks for any and all responses!

8 minutes ago, Kanin said:

The Schmidt charcoal magnesium works well for me. I don't think I smell. It does wear off after 24 hours though, and it's not an anti-perspirant. 

https://shop.schmidts.com/products/charcoal-magnesium-deodorant-stick

The other varieties don't work as well for me.

so, because it's not an anti-perspirant....is that an issue?  I mean, I don't sweat a lot....but sometimes our summers get hot and humid....

I personally love this one. It works extremely well and does not mask odors. If you use it consistently for awhile, it will have a lingering effect should you skip for awhile. The one I use is tangerine/bergamot but it's a very light scent. They also sell an unscented version which my stinky sons use. About $15.

https://www.promolife.com/puro3-ozonated-oil-roll-on-deodorant-jojoba/

I like Native but I think with all of these, they work for some people and not for others. You just have to try them out. I got a sample pack the first time I tried Native and that was a good thing because some of the scents smell sour on me. I need a specific type of scent. Native also didn't work at all for one daughter but did for the other. I think it's a personal chemistry thing.

• Like 1

Toms of Maine unscented is the only kind I use. I bought a travel size of a different brand mentioned in this thread and found it so sticky on my skin I had to immediately take another shower.

In the past I've had bad luck with various "regular" brands bleaching my clothes so I just stick with what I know works for me. 

I gave up on anything in a stick or as a roll-on because I am not made of money, and very few deodorants of any kind work for me. It's a costly endeavor for me to try something new, but milk of magnesia works pretty well. Heard about it on the forums. I like to put it in a screw-lid container and let it get a bit thick. I usually have one bottle I'm using that's a bit thicker and one bottle I open so that it starts thickening. It's easier to use and a bit more effective when some of the water has evaporated. It's also a lot cheaper than deodorant.

When I don't use that, I use Lady Mitchum. It's probably terrible for me, but it's literally the only deodorant that has ever worked long-term. 

I go back and forth between a few brands that I really like and that work well for me.

My current favorite is a stick deodorant made by an Etsy seller called Unearth Malee. The two scents I’ve tried - ginger lemongrass and orange patchouli - are heavenly.

I also like Andalou Naturals stick deodorant in rose pomegranate.

And then I also use an unscented roll-on called Real Purity that I get from Amazon. 

I like Native brand.
I also use to make my own. The particular recipe I used is no longer posted online, but it was a mix of coconut oil, baking soda, and arrowroot powder. (If you Google it, similar recipes will come up). I have sensitive skin, and it worked very well for me. (My husband used it too and also found it effective). 

I use Toms.  It works for me, at least through a whole day, as long as I'm not seriously working out.  If I'm going to TKD or similar, or if I'm traveling (no ready deo access in case of delays etc), I use conventional anti-perspirant.

19 hours ago, Kanin said:

The Schmidt charcoal magnesium works well for me. I don't think I smell. It does wear off after 24 hours though, and it's not an anti-perspirant. 

https://shop.schmidts.com/products/charcoal-magnesium-deodorant-stick

The other varieties don't work as well for me.

I think it's a very individual chemistry thing. I tried Schmidt and my underarms were just soaked with sweat ALL the time. And gave my clothes sweat stains. Which is not the norm for me. I do not have that problem with Tom's.

22 minutes ago, knitgrl said:

I think it's a very individual chemistry thing. I tried Schmidt and my underarms were just soaked with sweat ALL the time. And gave my clothes sweat stains. Which is not the norm for me. I do not have that problem with Tom's.

Are you using the antiperspirant version of Tom's? That's the only way I can think of Tom's actually decreasing/stopping you from sweating. None of the aluminum free deodorants will stop sweating, but Tom's makes an aluminum antiperspirant that works like any other conventional one (but most people wanting a natural deodorant are specifically avoiding ones with aluminum).