Menu

Fellow coffee people, please come in

Spryte

For health reasons, I must switch to a low acid coffee, only in French press, for several months. The horror!

If you’ve had any luck with finding a good low acid bean, please fill me in.

I’m looking at Java Planet, ATM.

I prefer lighter roasts, whole bean. 

Saying a sad goodbye to the daily cappuccinos. I will miss my espresso drinks!

• Sad 2

Sadly, doc was very specific about French press. Something about particulates and compounds. Though I am considering using some frothed milk to make it better!

I did just read that espresso tends to be lower acid as well, and she may not have known that I am not a drip coffee girl. So I will ask about cold brew and espresso, using a low-acid coffee if I must.

Maybe this weekend I can convince the kids to pull out some test strips and we’ll test the acidity of various brewing methods.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Spryte said:

That’s good to know! I just ordered some for the morning, since our local grocery store carries it. 

Yeah, the main reason he tried that first is because it was the only low acid coffee we could find in stores so it was easy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Sadly, doc was very specific about French press. Something about particulates and compounds. Though I am considering using some frothed milk to make it better!

I did just read that espresso tends to be lower acid as well, and she may not have known that I am not a drip coffee girl. So I will ask about cold brew and espresso, using a low-acid coffee if I must.

Maybe this weekend I can convince the kids to pull out some test strips and we’ll test the acidity of various brewing methods.

Medical doctor?

I need to find myself a physician who insists that I drink French Press coffee.

Until then...

Bill

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Lowering the temp of the brewing water is said to also lower the acidity.

I have never put that to the test.

But sounds like "homeschool science" to me.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Medical doctor?

I need to find myself a physician who insists that I drink French Press coffee.

Until then...

Bill

Yes, medical doctor. She’s taking new patients, if you feel like traveling!

I like French press coffee occasionally, but am less than enthused about finding one labeled low acid. 

I am doing everything she said to do, but this coffee business is tough!

• Haha 1

Just now, Spryte said:

Yes, medical doctor. She’s taking new patients, if you feel like traveling!

I like French press coffee occasionally, but am less than enthused about finding one labeled low acid. 

I am doing everything she said to do, but this coffee business is tough!

The conundrum--I think (relying on memory here)--is that the lower the temp of the brewing water the less acid is extracted from beans, but also fewer oils and other compounds that this "doctor" seems desirous of your consuming.

I might be skeptical, if this doctor wasn't telling you precisely what I'd want to hear :tongue:

Good luck!

Bill

• Haha 2

The hope is that I will entirely wean off of coffee, for a few months. Ha! Not likely. The low acid, French press only, seems to be her idea of a transition to get me to stop entirely for two months. 

I’m counting it as a win that I didn’t laugh hysterically in the office at the idea of stopping coffee!

I will definitely be pointing out to her, on Monday, that we only drink espresso, and it’s probably got less of *whatever* than French press. 🤣 (Entering the bargaining stage here)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

“Entirely wean off coffee”

😱😱😱🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😳😳

Right?!?

I am willing to do everything this doc says, whatever it takes, I’m down for All The Stuff. 

But the coffee? That’s killing me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The doc is off imo. Cold brew is lower acid than just a French press unless you specifically buy “strong” cold brew. Cold brew is basically one more step after French press.

Now I think the only way to get it even less acid is the egg method.  I did this many years ago when I had horrible acid issues due to my gallbladder and pulling many long breastfeeding all nighter sessions in addition to late night teen events making me desperate for my coffee.

You boil your water as soon as it starts to boil, turn the temp to med then add your coffee grounds and crack an egg into the water. When egg is completely cooked, pour the contents over a coffee filter lined strainer into your mug/pot. There’s almost no acid to this method and it looks like tea. And no, it will not taste at all eggy either.

But dang. Eggs are expensive and what a waste of an egg.  There’s some science to why this works. Something about eggs binding coffee proteins or some such that I vaguely remember being interesting and desperate enough to try and being very gleeful that it worked. There’s almost zero bitterness/acid at all if you make your coffee with an egg.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spryte said:

The hope is that I will entirely wean off of coffee, for a few months. Ha! Not likely.

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

“Entirely wean off coffee”

😱😱😱🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😳😳

I can don’t drink coffee but that just means I drink a lot of Coca Cola. I think coffee is less harmful for the bones compared to Coca Cola. The other alternative is for me to hibernate and everyone else in my household would have to cook and clean. 
I do cold brew if I want my coffee less acidic. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mathnerd said:

My DH's office provides them the "Volcanica" brand of low acid coffee (medium roast). He says that this brand coffee is comparable to the Peet's brand coffees that they provide. 

Thanks! I saw that one in a list comparing them all. That helps.

4 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I hesitate to post this because it’s ridiculously expensive, but did you know about this brand? It’s whole bean, light roast, and organic. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0899ZPSZ9/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A27CVX1TCP0N67&psc=1

That looks promising, too!

I just checked and ordering direct from the company is a bit less. I usually like Central American shade grown beans, so it’s worth a shot.

Just now, Spryte said:

That looks promising, too!

I just checked and ordering direct from the company is a bit less. I usually like Central American shade grown beans, so it’s worth a shot.

Alternatively, you could get yourself an Amazon credit card and use the rewards points to pay for your coffee! This is how I pay for my expensive tennis shoes that I need for my bad feet. 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Double check me, but what about doing cold brewed coffee for the few months?

IMS one of the features of cold brew is low acidity (if I have that correctly).

Not French Press, but you could use whatever beans you prefer.

Bill

Bill,

You are the one who convinced me to switch once upon a time before it became wildly popular.  The first weekend of cold brew, we drank *far* more coffee than humans should. 

Ways to decrease acidity:
https://fluentincoffee.com/is-cold-brew-less-acidic/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

Bill,

You are the one who convinced me to switch once upon a time before it became wildly popular.  The first weekend of cold brew, we drank *far* more coffee than humans should. 

Ways to decrease acidity:
https://fluentincoffee.com/is-cold-brew-less-acidic/

I remember way back when, when I first encountered "cold brew," and I also consumed way too much.

It just tastes so good and seems so innocent.

*jjjjiiiiitttteeerrs*

I thought I used to put a warning about that when I first started  recommending old brew?

Oh dear.

Drink responsibly :tongue:

Bill

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spy Car said:

I remember way back when, when I first encountered "cold brew," and I also consumed way too much.

It just tastes so good and seems so innocent.

*jjjjiiiiitttteeerrs*

I thought I used to put a warning about that when I first started  recommending old brew?

Oh dear.

Drink responsibly :tongue:

Bill

That happened to me the first time I discovered chocolate covered espresso beans. Quite a headache the next day after eating the whole package. It would have been a good morning to discover cold brew, could have put off that pain one more day

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

That happened to me the first time I discovered chocolate covered espresso beans. Quite a headache the next day after eating the whole package. It would have been a good morning to discover cold brew, could have put off that pain one more day

Experienced the same thing in college, when friends introduced me to Arabic (aka Turkish) coffee, and I got my first ibrik (and I got a very large one). Too much for one person.

So I quickly added a more modest "personal" sized brass pot as a break on excess.

I think I'll go make one now. I'm late this morning--as I have a delicious warm kitty sleeping on my lap.

Bill

• Haha 1

They make a ‘coffee’ out of peanuts now that tastes enough like regular coffee that I hate it too. 🤣 Dh tried it and I thought “finally, a coffee I’ll like!” NOPE

ETA: DH has made cold brew and it does remove enough of the bitterness that even I can stand a latte made from it.

Edited by KungFuPanda

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

I So I quickly added a more modest "personal" sized brass pot as a break on excess.

We have a small ibrik. I don't think I've ever used it without boiling it over. I should look at getting a larger one and then restrict myself to a personal-sized amount of coffee. Or, you could tell me what I'm doing wrong 😄

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

They make a ‘coffee’ out of peanuts now that tastes enough like regular coffee that I hate it too. 🤣 Dh tried it and I thought “finally, a coffee I’ll like!” NOPE

Peanuts? Who thought that was a good idea?

Bill (<--who is just about to start sipping from the "family-sized" ibrik)

1 minute ago, Miss Tick said:

We have a small ibrik. I don't think I've ever used it without boiling it over. I should look at getting a larger one and then restrict myself to a personal-sized amount of coffee. Or, you could tell me what I'm doing wrong 😄

The little ones you need to watch like a hawk.

ETA: Just as a boil is expected, lift from the flame as boil up takes place. Timing issue.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Have to make sure I get my daily dose of diterpenes. 

I had to look that up, but I see that if you want like acid coffee, you may end up with high diterpines consumption!

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

The little ones you need to watch like a hawk.

I've proven time and again that I don't have the patience to do this, no matter what I swear each time at the start. Same for oatmeal in the microwave. But, maybe I should buy some more Turkish coffee and give it another go. This time will be different!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

What is this peanut coffee? Off to see if I can find it. 

@Miss Tickchocolate covered coffee beans…..yum I miss those. 

At least chocolate covered peanuts are already a known entity!

I can't have chocolate covered coffee beans because of that incident. My brain starts tensing up thinking about it and I get a pre-consumption starter headache. 😃

Edited by Miss Tick
adding repressed memory
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is a little cultural tip if one is hanging out with Arabs and they are making coffee (and you don't want to be over caffeinated).

The rules of hospitality dictate they they keep refilling your cup, until you say "halas" (enough or I'm done); however, as the guest it is better not to say it out loud. A more polite signal is to gently shake one's cup. That's understood as a way to say one has had enough caffeine.

The shaking coffee cup will happen one way, or another.

Bill (who often gains wisdom the hard way)

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I had to look that up, but I see that if you want like acid coffee, you may end up with high diterpines consumption!

I've proven time and again that I don't have the patience to do this, no matter what I swear each time at the start. Same for oatmeal in the microwave. But, maybe I should buy some more Turkish coffee and give it another go. This time will be different!

Watch carefully. Just as the boil over is near, the surface tension will change. Lift ibrik away from heat. It should still boil up (but not over) if you have the timing right.

Otherwise, big mess.

Bill

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Careful, friend. The jitters may have already started, you are losing letters

Hard to type while juggling tiny cups of qahwa with a kitty on one's lap.

Desmond has either become deeply attached to me emotionally, or the plunging temps (by LA standards) has made him highly desirous of seeking body heat.

Bill

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Here is a little cultural tip if one is hanging out with Arabs and they are making coffee (and you don't want to be over caffeinated).

The rules of hospitality dictate they they keep refilling your cup, until you say "halas" (enough or I'm done); however, as the guest it is better not to say it out loud. A more polite signal is to gently shake one's cup. That's understood as a way to say one has had enough caffeine.

The shaking coffee cup will happen one way, or another.

Bill (who often gains wisdom the hard way)

Can confirm, says the woman whose first hospitality event in Egypt ended with hands shaking and massive insomnia after assuming that my American, caffeine addicted self could not be "over coffee limit" so soon. Oh my very naive self!!!! 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Can confirm, says the woman whose first hospitality event in Egypt ended with hands shaking and massive insomnia after assuming that my American, caffeine addicted self could not be "over coffee limit" so soon. Oh my very naive self!!!! 😂😂😂

Next time, remember the trick to just shake your empty cup a little if there seems to be an attempt to "refill"--as there always will be. That is confidered "good form"

I'm guessing that we "stole" the idea of the bottomless coffee cup from the Arabs   :tongue:

One can end up in a world of hurt. Feeling a bit buzzed myself.

Bill 

30 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Next time, remember the trick to just shake your empty cup a little if there seems to be an attempt to "refill"--as there always will be. That is confidered "good form"

I'm guessing that we "stole" the idea of the bottomless coffee cup from the Arabs   :tongue:

One can end up in a world of hurt. Feeling a bit buzzed myself.

Bill 

I had been told something to do but it wasn't shake the cup. I forgot what it was. It was something common to Coptic Christian hosts. Been a few years. I was separated from our friends, Doctors without Borders, because these hosts spoke English and we had no need of a translator. It wad NOT a good tip to forget! 😂 Live and learn!

My most embarassing moment with coffee was in France though. In Liseux. Went into the coffee shop, started my order in my horrific American French which must be the equivalent of Appalachian English to Londoners or something, their faces lit up, and I heard, "American!" shouted loudly, and immediately they made me the perfect "cafe au lait" which I am pretty sure is code for, "Tourist who can't hold their caffeine tries to look normal" or "Virgin Java for the wimp" or something. My sister was just busting a gut, and my brother in law who drinks coffee that can a only be described as black paste slightly moistened, laughed until he just about cried. Sigh.....so much for being cool. 😎

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

I had been told something to do but it wasn't shake the cup. I forgot what it was. It was something common to Coptic Christian hosts. Been a few years. I was separated from our friends, Doctors without Borders, because these hosts spoke English and we had no need of a translator. It wad NOT a good tip to forget! 😂 Live and learn!

My most embarassing moment with coffee was in France though. In Liseux. Went into the coffee shop, started my order in my horrific American French which must be the equivalent of Appalachian English to Londoners or something, their faces lit up, and I heard, "American!" shouted loudly, and immediately they made me the perfect "cafe au lait" which I am pretty sure is code for, "Tourist who can't hold their caffeine tries to look normal" or "Virgin Java for the wimp" or something. My sister was just busting a gut, and my brother in law who drinks coffee that can a only be described as black paste slightly moistened, laughed until he just about cried. Sigh.....so much for being cool. 😎

My French is pretty bad too. Although annoying the French can be fun sometimes.

You know who is terrible? My kid brother. He has this strange super-power, where good grammar is his thing. A gift. I'm telling you. He speaks impeccable French.

But he also has this barely controllable tendency to correct people's grammar, which is annoying enough in English.

But just try to imagine the reaction of a French person who is corrected on a point of French grammar by an American.

I wish I had had cameras rolling to record some of those reactions :tongue:

Bill

• Haha 1

Updating this thread to say that low-acid coffee sold locally under that name is a truly disgusting beverage. Even with frothed milk. I caved, and made an espresso. Set it on a table nearby, enjoyed the aroma, drank three sips. 

In good news, I managed to get through the day without killing anyone.

Going to order better beans. As a general rule, I hate all preground, stale beans anyway.

If the next batch is a fail, too, I will have to survive two months of treatment without coffee. 😳 Telling myself I can do anything for two months, to beat this monster. (Said hopefully!) 

Sipping dandelion tea, contemplating asking DH to move the espresso machine out of sight.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Spy Car said:

My French is pretty bad too. Although annoying the French can be fun sometimes.

You know who is terrible? My kid brother. He has this strange super-power, where good grammar is his thing. A gift. I'm telling you. He speaks impeccable French.

But he also has this barely controllable tendency to correct people's grammar, which is annoying enough in English.

But just try to imagine the reaction of a French person who is corrected on a point of French grammar by an American.

I wish I had had cameras rolling to record some of those reactions :tongue:

Bill

Epic!