Menu

Just thinking about dorm stuff...

mlktwins

You know, in my spare time -- LOL.

Anyway, DS2's current first choice seems very strict about their dorms. Nothing on the doors, no microwaves, nothing on the windows that isn't flame retardant, no wall hangings unless they are under plexiglass/glass, etc. 

They also say no to this (and includes wall hangings/flags/tapestries):

• decorations covering more than 10 percent of any wall

Is this normal for dorms to be so strict?  DS1's current first choice isn't that strict, but also doesn't allow microwaves. The other school we are waiting to hear on is the least strict it seems.

DS2 really won't be into a lot of dorm decorations so that is good I think.

ETA: DS2 would really prefer a single room too -- LOL.

Edited by mlktwins

30 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Anyway, DS2's current first choice seems very strict about their dorms. Nothing on the doors, no microwaves, nothing on the windows that isn't flame retardant, no wall hangings unless they are under plexiglass/glass, etc. 

Is this normal for dorms to be so strict?  DS1's current first choice isn't that strict, but also doesn't allow microwaves. The other school we are waiting to hear on is the least strict it seems.

This is definitely not what I’m seeing at DDs top two. All manner of stuff is on the walls. They don’t want cooking items (I haven’t seen any microwaves…yet) but the girls are free to cover every square inch of space. I have gotten some good advice tho. DD will be taking (1) suitcase and two blue ikea bags (those big rectangle ones). Anything that doesn’t fit in those bags cannot go to school with her. She may also have a mini fridge too. That’s the extent of what we’re willing to transport.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

Just now, catz said:

Are there communal kitchen/microwaves areas?   I have seen more food prep limits in dorms that might have communal food prep space. 

Yes, I was just looking at that. Most of their dorms have been recently renovated. Big, beautiful, new kitchens so that will work.

• Like 3

I've seen rules about microwaves and other cooking appliances because of either fire concerns or the amount of electricity that they use.  Some buildings have limits on size, or offer a common kitchen.  I've never heard of anything about what goes on the walls, and the pictures that I see of my former students' rooms seem to involve stuff on the walls.  

• Like 2

That’s pretty over the top.my son’s school doesn’t allow anything that doesn’t have an automatic shut off. He has a air mist thing (where you put essential oils) a fridge, etc. a hot water heater for coffee and tea, these all have auto shut off obviously.’ we dont use a microwave so he doesn’t need one but for his buddy at Williams for example, the dorm room *came* with microwave and fridge so 🤷‍♀️

Edited by madteaparty

Those are strict rules and kind of odd ones, tbh! My kids' dorms have all been pretty sameish about putting stuff on the walls - and what they "say" they will allow is often very different from what they actually allow (because they don't really enforce the rules). We've just made sure to put things on the walls carefully and remove it all carefully and to take a TON of pictures at move-in and move-out.

My girls were able to have coffee makers, irons, water pitchers (that heat the water) but neither boy was allowed to have those things in their dorms. Both boys say there are plenty of coffee makers set up in peoples' closets, though! lol Fewer contraband irons, though.... 🤣

My DD is going to school at the same place where DH and I went. We were surprised that the dorm rules have generally gotten more lax since we lived in the dorms! Any cooking appliances that don't have an open flame are allowed.  No candles/incense of course either. There is a maximum size limit on fridges and microwaves, but it was pretty reasonable.

No restrictions on what goes on the walls except no paint or wallpaper (do you suppose someone tried gluing wallpaper once, and that's why they mentioned it...lol).   

The main fire prevention rule I thought was interesting and different from back in the 90s is that no extension cords are allowed, only power strips with long cords.  I think we got DD power strips 8ft and 6ft length cords. 

We haven't seen those rules...dd got a Keurig and mini fridge to take and will be getting a microwave if her roommate doesn't have one. She has tons of pics saved for ideas for decorating her dorm room. No major restrictive rules there. My dd's biggest complaint is she can't have candles (which is obvious) but she is a major candle girl lol 

DS's school did not allow students to bring microwaves or fridges; in addition to a commone kitchen area each room had a university provided fridge and microwave.  This makes move in/move out and possible roommate switches so much easier.  I don't know that there were limits about how much could be put on the walls but his school did not allow any 3M tape products (poster tape, hooks, etc.)  They did allow for small nails to be used--saying that small nail holes were easier to repair than the damage 3M did after an entire semester on the wall.  

DD's school allowed microwaves and fridges up to a particular size; she could not do anything with nails, but could use 3M tape.

So what is/isn't allowed will vary greatly by school and, perhaps by local fire code.  

You may have already seen this article, but if not, it's quite amusing: https://www.wsj.com/articles/dorm-room-design-tiktok-11662491017

My kids went to college with just one suitcase each and minimal decorations (living overseas so couldn't really send much). I still remember getting to DD1's college, moving her in and then noticing the large number of Uhauls and huge cars packed with all sorts of stuff! Then parents posting pics in the FB parents' group of the decorated rooms! I felt so bad. But they all survived and were fine.

I wonder whether the wall restrictions are because kids are putting up fabric to cover the walls and fairy lights and so on? Could definitely be a fire hazard.

My takeaway from all this was that the fire code thing with appliances is real and that there are inspections; you do need the specially long sheets, blu-tak or similar, something to put shower stuff in and hangers for your clothes. 

• Like 2

On 1/29/2023 at 10:58 AM, saw said:

My kids went to college with just one suitcase each and minimal decorations (living overseas so couldn't really send much). 

I have a minimalist dc who did the same, and it was a very good thing!  When we arrived to move dc in, there was no extra space left in the room, as dc's roommate had brought a fridge, microwave, fan, storage cubbies, TV, game console, etc. and had decorated the walls.  Dc just needed to put away clothing, make the bed, and tack up a class schedule.  

• Haha 1

On 1/28/2023 at 4:23 PM, mlktwins said:

I've found that colleges are:

Concerned about fire hazards
Concerned about damage to walls
Trying to keep the lights on in older buildings that weren't designed for the modern electrical usage of microwaves and refrigerators in rooms

I've seen the 10% of the wall rule before. I've also seen colleges that don't allow outside microwaves or refrigerators in order to control the wattage/electrical usage.

One dorm only allowed things to be hung up with masking tape (and provided a roll in every room), because the sticky poster tack stuff tended to damage the walls and paint so much.

The wallhanging requirements - i.e., plexiglass requirement etc. plus no wall decorations of more than 10% of wall space seem really unusual to me.  The other requirements make sense. 

I wonder if students have found ways around it that are still acceptable?