Menu

9th grade planning 2023

I'll go first.  This is my last child.  She will be my ONLY student. This is the first time I will homeschool with only one child in the house.  This is very much a "working document."  There are SO many unknown variables in our life right now.  I definitely need to make sure my extroverted dd has time out of the house which may include spending a day at a friend's house--or a university model set up school if certain situations occur.  But, to get my thinking out there and jump start any of you who need jump starting, here goes....

History: I think we will use Guest Hollow's High School World History and spend more time on time periods she is most interested in.  She's done the four year cycle twice already.

English: Probably my old stand-by of Illuminating Literature: When World's Collide paired with some Lantern English classes-Growing the Essay and Report Writing plus some writing for me.

Spanish: Continue ULAT

Biology: Miller-Levine using Kolbe syllabus and maybe Ellen McHenry's Mapping the Body with Art for the cell unit.

Math: Probably Teaching Textbook's Geometry plus strong Algebra 1 review.

Art: Not sure yet--probably co-op classes plus something at home--I have resources from my oldest who did an art credit.

PE: We do half a credit a year. Personal fitness plus soccer??? Continue Taekwondo???

Possibly: Bible for 1/2 credit to go along with World History

Extra curriculars: Youth group, soccer, TKD, Scouts

• Like 6

I'm so happy to see this thread!  I am planning for my oldest son (3 more kiddos to follow after him).  Not sure yet if he will be college bound but I want him prepared, none the less.  I feel like I'm flailing about, honestly.  

Here is what I am thinking so far:

English I (Not sure what mix of grammar and writing and literature - and does all that only count as 1 credit?)

History - most likely world history, but the SWB "adult" books look so good, so maybe Ancient History

Geometry - working through Larson Geometry

Biology - tempted to use Miller Levine (Macaw version or newer version?)

Spanish I (I want to do online for this, but where?)

Art / PE (year long classes, but 0.5 credit each)

Speech (maybe through Schole Academy)

Maybe financial literacy or more computer coding???

I feel like I'm spinning in circles here.  I've always used WTM as a template but honestly the high school recs feel confusing to me.

• Like 8

World History: Prehistory - 1450
Build Your Library 10 + Great Courses + Reading Like a Historian

English 9
Build Your Library 10 + Lantern + WWS 2 + MCT Magic Lens

Biology
Many resources including the living books from Build Your Library 10

Calculus
MIT OCW

Spanish
Dual Enrollment in Spanish 301 + Private Tutoring + Being a teaching assistant

Mythology and World Religions
Build Your Library 10 + Great Courses

Art
Pottery Classes + Art Classes + Sketchbox

Another Elective
Peter is currently asking for Cryptozoology in Legends around the World, but he might also decide on Game Theory or Egyptology and Hieroglyphs or something else entirely.

**I'm writing a new post with our revised plan, but leaving this one here in case it is of use to someone in the future.**

Edited by wendyroo
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, missymeunier said:

English I (Not sure what mix of grammar and writing and literature - and does all that only count as 1 credit?)

Most people do it that way. By high school most grammar is in the context of writing.  We outsourced so our comp and lit classes are separate credits.  

History - most likely world history, but the SWB "adult" books look so good, so maybe Ancient History

A lot of people on here use SWB's history books for high school. The one thing you need to consider is that often you need to cover US History. So think about how many years you want to study history +government and econ and work backwards. I made a mistake here where I planned history for three years and now it's really hard to unravel it. 

Geometry - working through Larson Geometry

Biology - tempted to use Miller Levine (Macaw version or newer version?)

I *think* the earlier versions have more extras available. We used the dragonfly edition (one before Macaw) and we were able to find guided reading workbooks, tests, lab books. etc.  I used Biology Corner's stuff for most of our labs and activities.  You can buy a syllabus for the Macaw version from Kolbe I think.  

Spanish I (I want to do online for this, but where?)

Homeschool Spanish Academy is pretty well recommended on here.

Art / PE (year long classes, but 0.5 credit each)

Speech (maybe through Schole Academy)

Maybe financial literacy or more computer coding???

I feel like I'm spinning in circles here.  I've always used WTM as a template but honestly the high school recs feel confusing to me.

I think it is hard when you get to high school because you do need to think both of what the colleges will require (if you go that direction) and how you will try to provide the best education while also providing room for the child to explore their interests. It can feel like there is so much you "have to do."  The best advice I have heard on here is to teach the child in front of you. It's so easy to look at the WTM as being prescriptive. Try to see it as a set of recommendations to hold loosely.  I speak from experience--that is super hard.  Hang in there.

• Like 5

On 1/17/2023 at 8:21 PM, wendyroo said:

World History: Prehistory - 1450
Build Your Library 10 + Great Courses + Reading Like a Historian

English 9
Build Your Library 10 + Lantern + WWS 2 + MCT Magic Lens

Biology
Many resources including the living books from Build Your Library 10

Calculus
MIT OCW

Spanish
Dual Enrollment in Spanish 301 + Private Tutoring + Being a teaching assistant

Mythology and World Religions
Build Your Library 10 + Great Courses

Art
Pottery Classes + Art Classes + Sketchbox

Another Elective
Peter is currently asking for Cryptozoology in Legends around the World, but he might also decide on Game Theory or Egyptology and Hieroglyphs or something else entirely.

Hi.  Where would you find a course on Game Theory or Egyptology?  Thanks.

43 minutes ago, desertflower said:

There’s a game theory course on The Great Courses

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desertflower said:

For Game Theory we would combine one or two Great Courses (now Wondrium) with a couple non-fiction books and a couple fiction books. That would easily get us to half a credit, and it he was interested we could certainly expand it into a full credit.

For Egyptology, we would rely mostly on Great Courses. They have a bunch on Egyptian history/culture/pharaohs/architecture. I also love Bob Brier's course Decoding the Secrets of Egyptian Hieroglyphs. It is a mix of Egyptian linguistics and practical lessons on reading and writing hieroglyphs. Right from the beginning there are simple translation exercises after every lecture, and pretty quickly he starts showing the students how they can read snippets directly from carvings on actual monuments. Pretty mind-blowing that you could actually go to a museum and translate (at a rudimentary level) some of the artifacts you see.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

For Game Theory we would combine one or two Great Courses (now Wondrium) with a couple non-fiction books and a couple fiction books. That would easily get us to half a credit, and it he was interested we could certainly expand it into a full credit.

For Egyptology, we would rely mostly on Great Courses. They have a bunch on Egyptian history/culture/pharaohs/architecture. I also love Bob Brier's course Decoding the Secrets of Egyptian Hieroglyphs. It is a mix of Egyptian linguistics and practical lessons on reading and writing hieroglyphs. Right from the beginning there are simple translation exercises after every lecture, and pretty quickly he starts showing the students how they can read snippets directly from carvings on actual monuments. Pretty mind-blowing that you could actually go to a museum and translate (at a rudimentary level) some of the artifacts you see.

This sounds great.  Can you provide the title of the books that you will use for the game theory? 

My middle child just expressed that she wanted to study Egyptian history, so this is great timing!  Thanks! 

3 minutes ago, desertflower said:

This sounds great.  Can you provide the title of the books that you will use for the game theory? 

My middle child just expressed that she wanted to study Egyptian history, so this is great timing!  Thanks! 

Sure, though this list is a work in progress.

Wondrium (Great Courses):
Understanding Economics: Game Theory (12 lectures with problems and solutions at the end of each)
The Secret Life of Chaos (documentary)

Nonfiction:
Introducing Game Theory: A Graphic Guide by Ivan Pastine
The Evolution of Cooperation by Robert Axelrod, Richard Dawkins
Rock, Paper, Scissors: Game Theory in Everyday Life by Len Fisher

Fiction:
A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (Ian Malcom in the book is a chaos theorist who makes predictions about the island based on chaos theory.)

If you do end up with someone studying Egypt, it might be worth a Wondrium subscription for the year. That gives you access to pretty much all of the Great Courses and all of the guidebooks in all of the subjects plus lots of other documentaries. We have found it to be well worth it since we can try out lots of courses to find lecturers we like, and we can pick and choose various lectures from a variety of courses. For example, for Egypt we might pull a couple lectures from the course 30 Masterpieces of the Ancient World and the lecture about the battle of Kadesh from The Decisive Battles of World History.

• Like 5

I've just started working on plans for my kid who will be in 9th. And my brain is jumping 57 million different directions rather than being productive in any ONE direction, lol! 

I know she'll be doing the AOPS Precalculus book (well, finishing up Intermediate Algebra, then Precalculus).

She has been working slowly through the MIT OCW Introduction to Psychology course, and I'm pretty sure she wants to continue/finish that and take the AP Psychology exam.

Everything else is like "well, I think she'll study this, but I have no idea what that's going to look like" or "...but that depends on factors outside my control and I have to wait and see." So I have a good bit of work to do, and a good bit of waiting as well.

• Like 5

My baby will be in 9th next year! With this child, I tend to wing it a little. We do parts of curriculum I liked with the older kids. When she finishes those parts then we move on to other parts from other curriculum I liked.

Science: RSO Biology 2, Amoeba Sisters, and other stuff left over from older sibs

History: Oak Meadow World Geography

Math: She will probably still be finishing up Jacobs Geometry then move on to Foersters Alegbra and Trig

English: first part of Beyond the Book Report 3, first part of Writeshop Apprentice,  literature of choice, finish I Laid an Egg on Aunt Ruth's Head (grammar), ...

French: Breaking the Barrier French - she has done Duolingo for a couple of years now, but she needs to add some of the grammar and what not

Art: maybe something from Outschool or a local teacher. She really needs something more here.

PE: regular walking

Extracurricular: Dance, Musical Theater, Speech

• Like 5

Wow, I cannot believe that we are legitimately here. Weren't we just posting on the Kinder planning threads?

Sacha is trying to decide whether to pursue the diploma option through Stanford Online High School vs to stay a CA charter homeschool student (with a combo of SOHS and DE classes) [I don't think it will work with the charter for HS, but we are keeping the PSA option on the table]. He doesn't have to make the final election re whether to graduate from OHS until the Spring before 11th grade, but he has to stay on track (through 9th and 10th) to meet all of their requirements. Much will depend on the results of his placement exams in the Spring. [Apparently, it's easier for HS kids to place into advanced classes at OHS vs the MS kids.] As of now, we are thinking that he will take the following in 9th:

OHS Core: Methodology of Science, which is a non-lab bio class. Supposed to be a brutal workload. [Apparently, they have lightened the load in this course, which is great news!] I've heard that all of the core classes at OHS are amazing, but I am definitely nervous about the rigor of this course for my very 2e kid. [Still a nervous Nelly!]

English: He will likely place into either Literary Analysis & Argumentation or Textual Analysis & Argumentation at OHS, with an additional writing lab to help support him.  

Math: Hopefully, he will place into Multivariable Calculus at OHS, as he prefers live instruction. Otherwise, he will take it at either UCSD or a CC. [They likely won't require a placement exam from him; his AP test score should suffice. Fingers crossed!]

Science: Technically, the Methodology of Science class counts as a science class, so that will likely be enough of a challenge. But, Sacha wants to take AP Physics C in 10th, so he will either need to attend the pre-req through Summer @ Stanford after 9th or do well enough on his placement exam to skip Honors Physics (which he took through DO in 7th, but who knows how well he will do on a physics placement exam two years later). He could take something like AoPS' new AP Physics 1 course, or self-study for the AP physics 1 test on his own to meet the pre-req, but I really don't want to add to his workload in 9th. Still mulling it over.    [Since they reduced the workload in the Core class, Sacha elected to take Life in the Cosmos, an astrobiology class, in addition to the Core science class.]

Foreign Language: He is starting the STAR TALK program in Russian at SDSU next month. Hopefully, he will enjoy it. It runs through the fall semester of 2023. At the end, he will have credit for two semesters of college Russian at SDSU. [He's enjoying Russian. However, we found out that OHS only gives one semester of credit for each semester of DE, so he will have to take 4 semesters of college Russian minimum, if he decides to graduate from OHS.]

Computer Science and/or Social Studies: He is taking Data Structures at the CC now and will likely take the next course in the sequence for computer science majors in the Fall. Thinking about an econ class at the CC for the Spring. [He didn't like the prof, so he dropped the Data Structures class. He will most likely take it next year at OHS.]

Extracurriculars: OHS Wellness I/PE and an AI-related "Homeroom", Civil Air Patrol [he's not sure if he wants to continue; it's been hard to juggle with the workload at OHS], guitar, STEM competitions, and OHS clubs.    

This all seems pretty daunting, so I am very unsure. [Still unsure, but holding my breath.]

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

Wow, I cannot believe that we are legitimately here. Weren't we just posting on the Kinder planning threads?

Sacha is trying to decide whether to pursue the diploma option through Stanford Online High School vs to stay a CA charter homeschool student (with a combo of SOHS and DE classes). He doesn't have to make the final election re whether to graduate from OHS until 11th grade, but he has to stay on track (through 9th and 10th) to meet all of their requirements. Much will depend on the results of his placement exams in the Spring. As of now, we are thinking that he will take the following in 9th:

OHS Core: Methodology of Science, which is a non-lab bio class. Supposed to be a brutal workload. I've heard that all of the core classes at OHS are amazing, but I am definitely nervous about the rigor of this course for my very 2e kid.

English: He will likely place into either Literary Analysis & Argumentation or Textual Analysis & Argumentation at OHS, with an additional writing lab to help support him.  

Math: Hopefully, he will place into Multivariable Calculus at OHS, as he prefers live instruction. Otherwise, he will take it at either UCSD or a CC.

Science: Technically, the Methodology of Science class counts as a science class, so that will likely be enough of a challenge. But, Sacha wants to take AP Physics C in 10th, so he will either need to attend the pre-req through Summer @ Stanford after 9th or do well enough on his placement exam to skip Honors Physics (which he took through DO in 7th, but who knows how well he will do on a physics placement exam two years later). He could take something like AoPS' new AP Physics 1 course, or self-study for the AP physics 1 test on his own to meet the pre-req, but I really don't want to add to his workload in 9th. Still mulling it over.   

Foreign Language: He is starting the STAR TALK program in Russian at SDSU next month. Hopefully, he will enjoy it. It runs through the fall semester of 2023. At the end, he will have credit for two semesters of college Russian at SDSU.

Computer Science and/or Social Studies: He is taking Data Structures at the CC now and will likely take the next course in the sequence for computer science majors in the Fall. Thinking about an econ class at the CC for the Spring.

Extracurriculars: OHS Wellness, PE, and Homeroom classes, Civil Air Patrol, guitar, STEM competitions and clubs.    

This all seems pretty daunting, so I am very unsure.

Yes, it does seem like they were just small. I cannot believe my baby is in high school next year! She’s actually very mature, but still!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to plan for 9th too...

History - Western History: Enlightenment to Industrial Revolution ( Schole Academy)

English - British Lit (Schole), Windows to the World (with me), and probably a few Lantern sessions to strengthen some writing

Math - Algebra 2 (Mix of Derek Owens and Saxon)

Science - This one I can't quite nail down. He will do Bio and I think just at home. We will probably add in a second science but I'm torn between Chemistry and Physics (with Derek Owens)

Computer Science - he wants a class but I'm not sure where yet?

Spanish 1 (I need to nail down where? Maybe homeschool Spanish academy? or Wilson Hill? or clrc?)

Health/PE

Guitar

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 3

We're still working on our plans.

Math: Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1

Science/Nature:

• Guest Hollow's Conceptual Physics
  • something for survival, edible plants, etc. (this will be in addition to what he learns at Jr. Canadian Rangers)

Social Studies:

• Donna Ward's Canada in the 20th Century
  • with the modern history portion of Guest Hollow's Whirlwind World History

Language Arts:

• We tried Lightning Lit last semester and liked it so I'm thinking we'll continue with another level
  • Brave Writer Help with High School; Boomerangs
  • Canadian Handwriting 
  • Vocab from Classical Roots B
  • Spelling Wisdom 3 & Using Language Well 3
  • Something for Logic

Extras:

• Masterpiece Society - Art School: Drawing 101 ?
  • French - Breaking the French Barrier Level 1
  • Junior Canadian Rangers
  • Piano
  • Working our way through Home Ec for Everyone
  • We're refinishing our basement & have lots of projects on the go so he'll be learning as he goes, + Shop Class for Everyone
Edited by AsgardCA
  • Like 3

I'm starting to plan 9th for my younger, and it's such a different situation than with my older!  They have such different personalities and interests and struggles.  For this kid, I'll be outsourcing most classes.  This is definitely NOT what I did with my older, and isn't really my vision of homeschooling, but I think it's what needs to happen for this kid.  So, I'm waiting on next year's co-op schedule to come out to see how classes will fit together there.  I'm hoping that the schedule will work such that we can do biology, English, French, and geography/world history there.  Some of these are available online if necessary, but that's definitely not preferable for this student.  Then we'll sprinkle in whatever electives fit - it's unpredictable what is offered, but there are things to fulfill requirements for health, personal finance, fine arts, etc, so I'll have to see.  Geometry will likely be Derek Owens.  Kid may fulfill some of the easy things like personal finance over the summer with Fundafunda classes - most of these are taught by people that are local to us, and sometimes a couple of kids from co-op will decide to all take an online one together in the summer.  Kid will probably knock out the PE requirement by tracking things like volleyball camp and extra karate (above and beyond the general extracurricular amount since kid takes extra classes in the summer).  

For extracurriculars, kid has violin, science olympiad, karate, and volleyball plus youth.  This kid is super smart but struggles with time management and I have concerns that the high school workload is going to hit like a ton of bricks.  Extracurriculars add some structure and incentive to get work done, so even though ti seems overly busy we find that it's hard to get kid to focus when there is 'too much' free time.  It is quite the learning experience having kids who are not like you.  

Updated with specifics: Co-op for English, French, Biology (my class), Geography/World History, 1/2 credit of personal finance, also taking ballroom, which may count towards PE or Fine Arts, Derek Owens Geometry, PE and Bible at home

Edited by Clemsondana
  • Like 4

I will jump in!!  First, thanks for all the ideas.  I love reading these threads because it helps me decide what I should teach and where I can find different resources!  

This is my baby and it is killing me that she will be in high school.  How do I stop time!!  This is my language kid.  She excels at all things language.  

She will do a local Composition 1 class.  For literature she will be with my junior's class.  She can handle it and I don't have time to teach 2 literature classes.  The list so far-- Julius Caesar, King Lear, The Iliad, The Odyssey, Antigone, The Art of War, The Canterbury Tales (we are doing the older texts so if anyone has anymore suggestions, I would love them! Just no Beowulf). We will do Caesar's English, Classical roots, and some editor-in-chief to go with the Composition and grammar portion of the curriculum. 

History will go along with our literature.  We will be studying ancient history.  The Spine will be The Story of Greece and Rome by Tony Spawforth, Hillsdale the Rise and Fall of the Roman Republic, Hillsdale Athens and Sparta, and some classes that I find on Wondrium.  

Geometry-- we have always used Teaching Textbooks and will probably continue that journey.  She is not super mathy and that seems to work with my kid that is not super mathy.  

Science-- We will do a Biology class with a local teacher.  

Spanish 3-- I teach it.  We will use Advanced Spanish Step by Step, other books that I love, tons of music, and Voces online whole language curriculum.  

Mandarin 1-2?-- She has been using italki tutors and Chineseforus for two years now and got into the Startalk program at our local college for the summer! Woohoo!  I don't speak Chinese so I will have to ask her teachers her level is when she finishes the course. 

Choir-- We will keep up with choir and her musical theater that she loves as the art portion of her schooling.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Still a work in progress.

Math: Jacob's geometry with videos from Math Without Borders *not MWB, they don't use Jacobs. I will think on this some more. 

History: Spielvogel Western Civ. My intention is to split this over 2 years. He's currently working on US history with Guest Hollow, Joy Hakim, and Zinn. He's done an enormous amount of reading for US history this year, and I'm debating putting US History 1 on his transcript for high school. If he wants to continue with the second half of US history, then I'll bump Spielvogel to 10th & 11th.

English Comp & Lit: Continue with Killgallon highschool books, CAP Writing and Rhetoric, MCT grammar and poetry. Literature choices will be from banned/challenged book lists.

Art: continue with local mixed media classes and museum trips.

PE: He walks about 3 miles a day, every day, weather permitting

Science: He's requested Earth Science and Astronomy. I'm on the hunt for something meaty enough to not look remedial. (Secular) *He picked a freshman college text..I found some videos by the author on Coursera and a lab manual online. I will probably assign this an Honors level credit. 

Electives: Oak Meadow Critical Media Literacy, Ellen McHenry Excavating English with History of English Podcasts

Foreign Language: this is a sticking point. He has zero interest in learning a foreign language. I'm pulling rank and giving him a choice of either Latin via CAP and then taking the NLE, or Spanish via I-don't-know.

We have a new NEW plan below.

Edited by Shoeless
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Shoeless said:

Still a work in progress.

Math: Jacob's geometry with videos from Math Without Borders

History: Spielvogel Western Civ. My intention is to split this over 2 years. He's currently working on US history with Guest Hollow, Joy Hakim, and Zinn. He's done an enormous amount of reading for US history this year, and I'm debating putting US History 1 on his transcript for high school. If he wants to continue with the second half of US history, then I'll bump Spielvogel to 10th & 11th.

English Comp & Lit: Continue with Kilgallon highschool books, CAP Writing and Rhetoric, MCT grammar and poetry. Literature choices will be from banned/challenged book lists.

Art: continue with local mixed media classes and museum trips.

PE: He walks about 3 miles a day, every day, weather permitting

Science: He's requested Earth Science and Astronomy. I'm on the hunt for something meaty enough to not look remedial. (Secular)

Electives: Oak Meadow Critical Media Literacy, Ellen McHenry Excavating English with History of English Podcasts

Foreign Language: this is a sticking point. He has zero interest in learning a foreign language. I'm pulling rank and giving him a choice of either Latin via CAP and then taking the NLE, or Spanish via I-don't-know.

Look at The Ulat. It’s very affordable. What I used for my not at all interested in foreign language ds was Aim Academy’s  Spanish. It is project based. It was strictly get ‘er done for ds. I’m not sure how much he learned. I was fine with that bc I’m not sure how much any child who doesn’t want to learn a glforeign language gets out of a class. But it wasn’t painful. 

• Thanks 1

Holy Moly, I want an atta girl for figuring this one out. Science and English were my sticking points.

Geometry- FLVS, I hope this works since it’s free and includes a teacher. I always knew I would be done teaching after Algebra, because I’m not qualified. We used and loved MWB, but I want my DS to have access to a teacher for questions I cannot answer. 

French- continue with FIA, maybe DE

American History, Literature, and Culture (part 2) This is my own design and we’ll keep plugging away. I’m actually very happy with the way this has turned out. I pilfered GH and BYL booklists, HSI, Mission US, Presidental Podcast and added many offbeat periodicals, classic American lit books, and a music and film component. 

English- the struggle! I’ve settled on The Elements of Style Workbook, The Art of Lively Writing, and an old vocab workbook I have. I’ll add in essay topics and a bit of creative writing. We’ll continue poetry tea time and Freewrite Friday because those are beloved and fun. I want him to work on the epic fantasy he’s imagined, but I’m treading lightly. 

Chemistry— GH with Life of Fred and a chemical kit. I really hope this is good since he’s gotten into the nitty gritty of the cell and loved biology this year. I might add on a few docs and books and give him a health/nutrition credit too.

PE- homeschool parkour (I’m making him try it and think he will like it). If not, running and strength training. 

Edited by MJmom
  • Like 3

I’m planning for my youngest this year. We’re calling the year 8th/9th with a graduation date TBD. He is quite young for his grade with a November birthday and has had some struggles along the way. I would say it’s only been within the past 6ish months that he’s able to read fluently and his comprehension is still lagging. We think we’ve finally discovered a reason and he’s begun vision therapy. We’re only a few weeks in but I think I see improvement already. So for those reasons some of his work will be at an 8th grade level and some will be closer to 9th. So he’ll have somewhere between four and five years of school left depending on how things go. 

Math - MUS Algebra 1. He’d like to double up and do Geometry too but we’ll see. Doubling up always sounds like a good idea to him until it comes time to actually do the work. 

History - US History with Notgrass. 

Science - Apologia Physical Science

English - IEW Level B Year 2, Fix It Grammar Level 4. This is a middle school level but that’s where he’s at. Writing has been very difficult for him but he has made tons of progress with IEW this year so we’ll stick with it. Literature will be taken from the Notgrass and IEW suggestions and I’ll piece it together from there. 

Spanish - Duolingo and EasyPeasy

Extras - Karate, Speech club, piano and cello, hoping co-op offers robotics again, might be adding Trail Life

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I changed a few things around based almost entirely on finding a treasure trove of inexpensive textbooks at Goodwill. 

Math: Jacob's Geometry

History: He wants to continue with US history with K12 The American Odyssey. We'll practice note-taking and summarizing. 

English Comp & Lit: Finish middle school Killgallon paragraphs and start Killgallon sentences for high school, continue CAP Writing and Rhetoric, (I think we're starting book 7?), MCT grammar, poetry, vocab. I have a plan to use Perrine's Structure, Sound, and Sense over 2-3 years. We'll cover fiction in 9th and I'll add in some full-length novels.  In 10th, we'll do drama and in 11th, we'll cover poetry.  I feel like we could drop MCT entirely, but he wants to keep going with it. 

Art: continue with local mixed media classes, museum trips, and artist's lectures at the museum.

PE: He walks 3 miles a day, weather permitting

Science: Earth Science from Tarbuck with the QSL earth science lab kit. I found a syllabus online from a community college that uses this text edition.  

Spanish 1 with ULAT. 

Electives: Blacksmithing (How cool is that?!) and possibly Astronomy. He was lukewarm on critical media literacy and more excited about a deep dive into astronomy. 

We also have The Great Courses Plus, so I can add in lectures if I feel like something is lacking. 

• Like 3

Our plan has changed a bit as we have sorted out fall opportunities, so I'm writing a new revised post. I am leaving the old post, way up at the top of the thread, unedited in case that plan is useful to someone in the future.

Honors Calculus (1 credit) - MIT OCW

Biology (1 credit) - Several lab-based summer camps, plus home based and Great Courses

Astronomy (1 credit) - Dual enrollment

Ancient and Medieval World History (1 credit) - Build Your Library + Great Courses

English 9 (1 credit) - Build Your Library + Lantern

Mythology (0.5 credit) - Build Your Library + Great Courses

Advanced Spanish Conversation and Composition (1 credit) - Private lessons + private tutor + home

Education (0.5 credit) - Being an assistant teacher in immersion Spanish classes + some reading

Art (1 credit) - So many classes: Creating Art through History + Graphic Design + Duct Tape Art + Free Choice Art + Comic book Drawing

Game Theory (1 credit) - A logic/game theory/chess class + Great Courses and reading

Robotics (0.5 credits) - Lego Mindstorm projects + Great Courses

He also wants to try out Ultimate Frisbee

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

My oldest will be in 9th grade this year and emotionally I am not ready. On a practical level though we're doing pretty good. Math gave us some trouble towards the end of last year but I think I have that figured out for the immediate future.

Math: Finish up Algebra 1 using Key to Algebra plus AOPS (this will probably take us through Christmas) Start Geometry. Text undecided yet. I have a few on their way so we can take a look at them. 

Science: Oak Meadow Environmental Science

History: Prehistory using Build Your Library level 9 + various documentaries and some Khan Academy

English: Daily Grams for grammar review. Oak Meadow Composition 1. Build Your Library level 9 for literature and literature analysis. 

Computer Science: Khan Academy's AP Computer Science Principles as a sort of formal framework/lecture. Various coding assignments set by DH + all the coding and coding/tech research DS does for fun on a daily basis. 

Art: Art History via Khan Academy + various books I have on the shelves (1 semester) Drawing (1 semester) plus any art classes he takes with our homeschool group.

Other: various classes with our homeschool group (he tends to pick things like art, robotics, theater, logic, literature), Duolingo for fun, swimming/jogging/hiking. 

• Like 3

This is my youngest and she's been homeschooled since the beginning. She doesn't love school, but she's very bright and a hard worker. My main concern is that this is simply too much. I am wondering where/how to cut back without leaving holes in her core studies. I'd love gentle feedback.

ENGLISH: She'll do the Rhetoric level of Tapestry of Grace's Year 2 (middle ages-colonial) lit in an online co-op we're part of + 2 Lantern English courses

HISTORY: We're opting out of Tapestry for history for the first time since kindergarten because it is just too much time. I'm thinking I'll find a couple Great Courses that loosely follow the Tapestry history progression and she can watch the videos, then orally narrate to me. I need this to be easy peasy and she's had a very strong history background to this point. Any Great Courses y'all have loved in terms of being an engaging presentation of the information? Or maybe a Crash Course would be better?

MATH: Jacobs Algebra 1 with me. 

SPANISH: She will take Spanish 2 through MyFunScience with MRs. Mac. This is by far her favorite class and I can't say enough good things about it, but it is a decently heavy workload.

SCIENCE: She'll use Arizona State University's Universal Learner 8-week, 3 Credit Biology class that I have read decent reviews about. This gets her a full HS credit without sucking up time the whole year. We'll also supplement in our morning time (yes, we still do about an hour together every morning) with a read aloud anatomy book and some anatomy coloring pages along with a couple dissections with 1-2 lab reports.

LOGIC: This kid is likely to communicate and lead people for a living in adulthood so I want her to be a strong thinker. I am teaching a group of kids online using Nance's Intro to Logic .5 credit course, but adding in a few things to beef it up to a full credit. 

MORNING TIME: We watch CNN 10 and the BBC 1-minute world headlines, we'll listen to music that loosely aligns with history because she's a musical kid, we do sentence dictation to reinforce and practice grammar rules and spelling, and we'll read from the anatomy book I mentioned above.

Extras: she's in a community choir, serves in the children's ministry area of our church, and is seriously considering the local NCFCA speech and debate team as a way to put her logic studies into practice and make connections with other local homeschoolers.

14 minutes ago, carrierocha said:

This is my youngest and she's been homeschooled since the beginning. She doesn't love school, but she's very bright and a hard worker. My main concern is that this is simply too much. I am wondering where/how to cut back without leaving holes in her core studies. I'd love gentle feedback.

ENGLISH: She'll do the Rhetoric level of Tapestry of Grace's Year 2 (middle ages-colonial) lit in an online co-op we're part of + 2 Lantern English courses

HISTORY: We're opting out of Tapestry for history for the first time since kindergarten because it is just too much time. I'm thinking I'll find a couple Great Courses that loosely follow the Tapestry history progression and she can watch the videos, then orally narrate to me. I need this to be easy peasy and she's had a very strong history background to this point. Any Great Courses y'all have loved in terms of being an engaging presentation of the information? Or maybe a Crash Course would be better?

SPANISH: She will take Spanish 2 through MyFunScience with MRs. Mac. This is by far her favorite class and I can't say enough good things about it, but it is a decently heavy workload.

SCIENCE: She'll use Arizona State University's Universal Learner 8-week, 3 Credit Biology class that I have read decent reviews about. This gets her a full HS credit without sucking up time the whole year. We'll also supplement in our morning time (yes, we still do about an hour together every morning) with a read aloud anatomy book and some anatomy coloring pages along with a couple dissections with 1-2 lab reports.

LOGIC: This kid is likely to communicate and lead people for a living in adulthood so I want her to be a strong thinker. I am teaching a group of kids online using Nance's Intro to Logic .5 credit course, but adding in a few things to beef it up to a full credit. 

MORNING TIME: We watch CNN 10 and the BBC 1-minute world headlines, we'll listen to music that loosely aligns with history because she's a musical kid, we do sentence dictation to reinforce and practice grammar rules and spelling, and we'll read from the anatomy book I mentioned above.

Extras: she's in a community choir, serves in the children's ministry area of our church, and is seriously considering the local NCFCA speech and debate team as a way to put her logic studies into practice and make connections with other local homeschoolers.

I think that looks fine. The semester with the DE biology might be a bit much. Maybe you could let her just do the half credit if it gets too much. Alternatively I would do the Lantern writing classes second semester. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, freesia said:

I think that looks fine. The semester with the DE biology might be a bit much. Maybe you could let her just do the half credit if it gets too much. Alternatively I would do the Lantern writing classes second semester. 

I think what I hear you saying is that anatomy might be too much alongside the DE Bio. I was thinking we'd drop anatomy and writing during that 8-week period to make space. She'll do Bio in Jan/Feb and writing in the fall, then in the spring. Is this sort of what you were suggesting?

Or were you saying to make Logic just a .5 credit instead of beefing it up to a full credit. I'm a verbal processor so typing this all out has helped me to see that scaling back Logic could be an option too. 

40 minutes ago, carrierocha said:

I think what I hear you saying is that anatomy might be too much alongside the DE Bio. I was thinking we'd drop anatomy and writing during that 8-week period to make space. She'll do Bio in Jan/Feb and writing in the fall, then in the spring. Is this sort of what you were suggesting?

Or were you saying to make Logic just a .5 credit instead of beefing it up to a full credit. I'm a verbal processor so typing this all out has helped me to see that scaling back Logic could be an option too. 

It’s helpful to know that the Bio is Jan/ Feb because you will know how the rest of the year is going. 8 week DE classes are intense and might take up to four hours a day. When my older kids did DE, I always had in my mind what I could cut if things got intense. Then after we would double up. So no Lantern during that 8 week period ( I would probably do them right away.) you may also need to drop history and catch up later. I know that’s not ideal with TOg but she’s probably done year 2 twice already. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first 9th grader and I'm trying to figure stuff out. He's neurospicy and dyscalcic so we MAY call this an 8th/9th grade year depending on how I see his executive functioning skills develop. I'd love some feedback if it seems like I missed anything.

Math - Continue Pre-Algebra with an online instructor who has worked with him and his dyscalculia for a few years. He makes slow but steady progress and may be able to start Algebra 1 before the year is out. 

Science - Mom curated with 7th-grade sister. Astronomy first semester and Oceanography second semester. It's not a lab science class but I will have some labs as I'm gearing up to put him in DE Biology next year. Astronomy is planned out and I'll plan Oceanography as we get closer to it. We'll primarily use the  Great Courses as a spine with the course book, selected readings from Asimov's Guide to Earth and Space,  and there is an active night sky group run by Widener University which is near us so we'll participate in some of their activities. The pseudo labs will come from the Observing with Nasa Youth Astronomy Apprentice program guide.

History/Geography - He's doing modern history this year (1900-current). I've selected chapters from "History that Changed the World" and "These Truths" along with several documentaries, selected primary sources, and a YouTube compilation of speeches. The output will mostly be in composition and essay form. The geography portion will be reading "Prisoners of Geography" which I think goes well with modern history, along with corresponding mapwork and writing.

Spanish - It's a heritage language in our family and he's had years of general conversation. I'm going to do targeted grammar work and get him reading and writing well. I'm using young adult fiction he knows well in English to start and lead him toward Spanish literature by the spring.

ELA - Medieval Lit from Lightning Lit, spread out over the year, supplemented with a few other medieval lit selections and extra composition work from WriteShop 2. Finish Winston Grammar advanced (he got about halfway through last year), English from the Roots Up 2, and he's really interested in the development of language so I thought this would be a good time to do Excavating English from Ellen McHenry.

Electives -  (PE) He swims at the Y and is in a teen bowling league. (Music) He takes piano and is composing now. (Design) He's going to do a semester-long course in Computer Aided Drafting because he thinks he may want to become an architect.

Do any areas seem like too much or not enough? I'm not sure. I get six credits from this right? 1 for each major subject, and 1/4 PE, 1/4 Piano, and 1/2 the CAD class? 

1 hour ago, Bev said:

This is my first 9th grader and I'm trying to figure stuff out. He's neurospicy and dyscalcic so we MAY call this an 8th/9th grade year depending on how I see his executive functioning skills develop. I'd love some feedback if it seems like I missed anything.

Math - Continue Pre-Algebra with an online instructor who has worked with him and his dyscalculia for a few years. He makes slow but steady progress and may be able to start Algebra 1 before the year is out. 

Science - Mom curated with 7th-grade sister. Astronomy first semester and Oceanography second semester. It's not a lab science class but I will have some labs as I'm gearing up to put him in DE Biology next year. Astronomy is planned out and I'll plan Oceanography as we get closer to it. We'll primarily use the  Great Courses as a spine with the course book, selected readings from Asimov's Guide to Earth and Space,  and there is an active night sky group run by Widener University which is near us so we'll participate in some of their activities. The pseudo labs will come from the Observing with Nasa Youth Astronomy Apprentice program guide.

History/Geography - He's doing modern history this year (1900-current). I've selected chapters from "History that Changed the World" and "These Truths" along with several documentaries, selected primary sources, and a YouTube compilation of speeches. The output will mostly be in composition and essay form. The geography portion will be reading "Prisoners of Geography" which I think goes well with modern history, along with corresponding mapwork and writing.

Spanish - It's a heritage language in our family and he's had years of general conversation. I'm going to do targeted grammar work and get him reading and writing well. I'm using young adult fiction he knows well in English to start and lead him toward Spanish literature by the spring.

ELA - Medieval Lit from Lightning Lit, spread out over the year, supplemented with a few other medieval lit selections and extra composition work from WriteShop 2. Finish Winston Grammar advanced (he got about halfway through last year), English from the Roots Up 2, and he's really interested in the development of language so I thought this would be a good time to do Excavating English from Ellen McHenry.

Electives -  (PE) He swims at the Y and is in a teen bowling league. (Music) He takes piano and is composing now. (Design) He's going to do a semester-long course in Computer Aided Drafting because he thinks he may want to become an architect.

Do any areas seem like too much or not enough? I'm not sure. I get six credits from this right? 1 for each major subject, and 1/4 PE, 1/4 Piano, and 1/2 the CAD class? 

That looks good. Music and PE may be more than a quarter credit. An elective whole credit is 150-180 hours. So a quarter credit would be about 40-45 hours over the whole year which seems low for what he’s doing. If he’s doing 2-2 1/2 hours a week he should get a half credit. 

5 minutes ago, freesia said:

That looks good. Music and PE may be more than a quarter credit. An elective whole credit is 150-180 hours. So a quarter credit would be about 40-45 hours over the whole year which seems low for what he’s doing. If he’s doing 2-2 1/2 hours a week he should get a half credit. 

Thanks for the advice. I'll track his hours for a bit and see how it goes. I think you're certainly correct about music. He takes two 30-minute lessons a week and one 30-minute composition tutorial. Then he practices for 30-45 minutes almost every day. So on a light week (no weekend practice), I'm guessing he'd get about four hours a week. That seems like almost a whole credit (144 hours over 36 weeks).

For PE? It isn't organized or competitive swimming. He wears a tracker, I make him get his heart rate up, and every few weeks I make him switch up the order of strokes. I need to go look at the tracker but I think he's getting about 30 minutes three times a week. Bowling is 60-75 minutes once a week for eight weeks in the fall and eight weeks in the spring. So on a week with just swimming he'd get 90 minutes and a week with swimming and bowling would get him 2 and 1/2 hours. So, 16 weeks of 2 1/2 hours is 40, and 20 weeks of 1 1/2 hours is 30 hours so 70 total. Maybe I can assign something to read on fitness or health to get it up to a half credit?

Maybe I can count on 6 and 1/2 credits?

20 minutes ago, Bev said:

Thanks for the advice. I'll track his hours for a bit and see how it goes. I think you're certainly correct about music. He takes two 30-minute lessons a week and one 30-minute composition tutorial. Then he practices for 30-45 minutes almost every day. So on a light week (no weekend practice), I'm guessing he'd get about four hours a week. That seems like almost a whole credit (144 hours over 36 weeks).

For PE? It isn't organized or competitive swimming. He wears a tracker, I make him get his heart rate up, and every few weeks I make him switch up the order of strokes. I need to go look at the tracker but I think he's getting about 30 minutes three times a week. Bowling is 60-75 minutes once a week for eight weeks in the fall and eight weeks in the spring. So on a week with just swimming he'd get 90 minutes and a week with swimming and bowling would get him 2 and 1/2 hours. So, 16 weeks of 2 1/2 hours is 40, and 20 weeks of 1 1/2 hours is 30 hours so 70 total. Maybe I can assign something to read on fitness or health to get it up to a half credit?

Maybe I can count on 6 and 1/2 credits?

Yes, I think you easily could. 

• Like 1

Grade 9 (Dyslexia, Dysgraphia)

1.0 English/Comp.

• R&S English 7 

• Wilson Reading System (for Dyslexia…should finally finish this year)

• Wordsmith

• Literature-MP 8th grade lit with Vita Beata Discussion Group (Tom Sawyer, The Wind in the Willows, As You Like It, Treasure Island, Poetry & Short Stories)

• Read and narrate literature to tie in to geography studies

1.0 Math: Algebra I (CLE and CTC)

1.0 Social Studies: Geography & Cultures (using the Guest Hollow book as a spine)

• World History Detective

• Some activities from MFW ECC & Pinterest w/younger sis

1.0 Science: Earth Science (Berean Builders)

• in person chemistry lab enrichment with older bro

• God’s Design for Chemistry & Ecology w/younger sis

1.0 Fiber Arts I (self taught…constantly working on projects)

1.0 Spanish I (Lifepac w/older bro)

0.5 P.E. (hiking group)

6.0 credits

I changed our plans again, ha! Something shifted in my thinking, and I realized that we'd do well with a "less is more" approach this year.  The list below feels more manageable to me than what I had previously planned. 

English Comp & Lit: The Lively Art of Writing, MCT grammar, select chapters on punctuation from Warriner's course 4.  I have tons of lit options on the shelf, so I will pick whatever sounds good in the moment. 

I'm not sure what we'll do once LAOW is complete. I have several options on the shelf, (W&R, They Say, I Say, How to Read Literature Like a Professor, Perrine's, Killgallon). We'll either work on one of those or just keep writing essays for the rest of the year.  

Math: Jacob's geometry

History: SWB's History of the Ancient World plus the study guide

Science: Earth Science with lab

Elective: Astronomy with lab, plus A Student's Guide to the Mathematics of Astronomy

Logic: The Elements of Reasoning 

Other stuff: walking, local art classes, blacksmithing, weekly online D&D and rpg meetups. We're going to some info sessions on chess club, robotics with 4-h, homeschool bowling league, the library Teen Advisory board, and a board game meetup. I'm not sure what will click for him and fit our schedule, so we'll have to see.  There's also a possibility of him trying a welding class, but it's a heck of a drive from me, so I'm going to encourage these options first before we look into welding. 

ETA: I forgot about Spanish 1 via GA Virtual. I was going to do the ULAT, but Ga virtual is free and I think he'll actually do the course with minimal grumbling and drama. 

Edited by Shoeless
  • Like 4

On 7/19/2023 at 3:48 PM, carrierocha said:

I'm looking at this as my son needs just one more lab course. Can kids from out of state use this? I did poke around a bit to see, but the page was not forthcoming.

16 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

I'm looking at this as my son needs just one more lab course. Can kids from out of state use this? I did poke around a bit to see, but the page was not forthcoming.

Yes, it's open to out of state students. It is $25 to enroll and then another $400 to have the course added to an official college transcript for potential transfer credit. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shoeless said:

Science: Earth Science with lab

What are you going to use for Earth Science? I was just looking at Mr. Q's advanced Earth Science but I'm not sure. It's always getting equipment for labs that foil me. 

On 1/19/2023 at 3:05 PM, purpleowl said:

I've just started working on plans for my kid who will be in 9th. And my brain is jumping 57 million different directions rather than being productive in any ONE direction, lol! 

I know she'll be doing the AOPS Precalculus book (well, finishing up Intermediate Algebra, then Precalculus).

She has been working slowly through the MIT OCW Introduction to Psychology course, and I'm pretty sure she wants to continue/finish that and take the AP Psychology exam.

Everything else is like "well, I think she'll study this, but I have no idea what that's going to look like" or "...but that depends on factors outside my control and I have to wait and see." So I have a good bit of work to do, and a good bit of waiting as well.

Ha! The two things I "knew" back in January are not correct.Â đŸ¤£Â Here's what she's actually doing...

Math - we ended up taking a summer break (we usually don't), so she has a bit more of Alg 2 to go...and we are probably switching from AOPS to Foerster's for that. She will start Precalculus mid-year, but I'm not sure which textbook, since the "maybe not AOPS any more" thing is brand new since we started school this week.

AP Psychology - yes, doing that, but using Myers + Sonlight Workbook. I have lined up a place for her to take the exam (which was a bit up in the air for a bit, since we live in Florida).

English - mom-directed readings & writings. Right now she's reading Oedipus Rex.

Latin - Latin III with Lukeion. We debated between this and AP, since she actually did Latin III at home with me last year, but given that this will be her first online course and she struggles with anxiety, we decided to go with content she's familiar with and not throw the stress of a second AP exam on her as well.

Chemistry - outsourced to a local former teacher who offers in-person science classes for homeschoolers. They are using Holt Rinehart & Winston's Modern Chemistry.

Bible - first semester will be volume 4 of Starr Meade's The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study (did the previous 3 volumes already). Second semester I will choose books for reading/discussion/writing assignments. 

Computer Science - various courses on Codecademy. 

• Like 1