Menu

What short story is this?

Slache

A girl is grown in a lab and her father breaks her out. Men are chasing them so he takes her to the top of a mountain where she flies away. You don't realize she has wings until that point, he only speaks of her "deformity".

She flies away and he waits at the top of the mountain for the men to come saying "Then I too will be free" or similar, indicating that he knows he's about to die for what he did.

1 hour ago, Renai said:

Was it ever a movie? I think I remember seeing a movie like that years ago?

Sure! What's it called?

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I with everyone else. I remember this story but, for the life of me, I can't remember the title or author. Are you sure it's a short story? Those aren't something I typically read so maybe it's a book?

I'm positive it was a short story. I am wrong every few years, but I don't think I am here.

• Haha 2

On 12/31/2022 at 3:10 PM, Slache said:

A girl is grown in a lab and her father breaks her out. Men are chasing them so he takes her to the top of a mountain where she flies away. You don't realize she has wings until that point, he only speaks of her "deformity".

She flies away and he waits at the top of the mountain for the men to come saying "Then I too will be free" or similar, indicating that he knows he's about to die for what he did.

Can you remember any other details at all?

34 minutes ago, maize said:

Can you remember any other details at all?

I remember that he didn't tell the story by creating a setting, but it was the man's rambling thoughts.

I'm running, I'm afraid. Men are following me as I carry this. I must be gentle because it's delicate. I'm cold, I'm exhausted, I can hear them coming. They're coming for the child I'm carrying.

So not that he's carrying his daughter uphill so she can fly away, just details dribbling out as he goes. You don't fully understand until maybe the last two sentences and then you're kind of left with him about to die.

• Like 1