Menu

Well-trained bodies - turn of the year, goals, January, etc

Laura Corin

2 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I don't have an official diagnosis, but despite a couple of rounds of PT and near-daily strength and stretching exercises at home, I still have reduced strength and range of motion in my mastectomy arm, as well as very tight muscles in my chest on that side. It's definitely better, though, when I am diligent about doing my exercises regularly.

Aside from the daily irritation of just not being able to count on my arms (I have lingering issues from breaking my right arm a couple of years ago, too) to do what I expect them to do, I notice it often during yoga classes when I struggle to do simple things like raise both arms straight above my head. 

So, I'm very glad you got an answer and good guidance for how to address the issue. And I encourage you to keep up with it, because it does make a difference. 

Lately, my chest on that side has been feeling tight, too. The OT suggested using this:https://www.amazon.com/HoMedics-Hand-Held-Massager-Battery-Operated/dp/B073BJ8RS8/ref=sr_1_8?crid=39CB3NT49ZFSZ&keywords=homedics+massager&qid=1674754358&sprefix=homedic%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-8

I tried it last night for the first time, over a t-shirt, using circular motions above and below the scar, but not across it. She said to do that for 10-15 minutes. So I did that while watching TV, and I have noticed significant improvement today. It might be worth a try, in addition to exercises.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

How does one go for a walk, exactly?

I would have the opposite problem - how does one walk a dog?  Sending warm wishes for her speedy recovery!

Walking for me is a lot of looking up at the trees and the shadows, looking for wildlife and lichens or flowers.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, knitgrl said:

Lately, my chest on that side has been feeling tight, too. The OT suggested using this:https://www.amazon.com/HoMedics-Hand-Held-Massager-Battery-Operated/dp/B073BJ8RS8/ref=sr_1_8?crid=39CB3NT49ZFSZ&keywords=homedics+massager&qid=1674754358&sprefix=homedic%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-8

I tried it last night for the first time, over a t-shirt, using circular motions above and below the scar, but not across it. She said to do that for 10-15 minutes. So I did that while watching TV, and I have noticed significant improvement today. It might be worth a try, in addition to exercises.

I am not experienced with either cancer or surgery scars, but this makes sense to me based on a friend's experience when her child was badly burned. Once her skin had reached a certain level of healing, my friend implemented daily scar massage and they kept up with scar massage for at least a year, might have been more. My friend is someone who researches tons and she found really compelling evidence for the benefits of regular massage for supple soft tissue and to combat stiffness. 

• Like 4

Gyrotonics today. Everyone is buzzing about the sudden gym closure. (My gryo instructor was originally from that gym.) 

We have been working many times on abs after we've done the "usual" set of upper and lower body work, and I'm seeing real increases in ab strength. I fret about my heavy tummy (became that way from my illness several years ago and has mostly refused to budge since then), but knowing that there is actual muscle underneath the middle-aged pooch is an encouragement. 

• Like 5

I haven’t had my best week either but I tried to overcompensate tonight lol 

I went on a short walk — stopped because it got dark. Walked laps inside the house. Step count was still pretty low for the day. Rode the bike and started binge watching a show. The timer reset on the bike but I know I got like 140 min or so (based on tv show length). I got over 1000 calories on the bike. Then I tried out the long bands. The triceps exercise is really hard with the band!! Nearly impossible to lift the band that high. I do better with the dumbbell. 

I think I need to make a check off list of exercises and rotate days/exercises. Like aim to do strength training 3x a week. But I’m doing less reps because I think I need to work my way up. 

Edited by heartlikealion
Week not day
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I haven’t had my best week either but I tried to overcompensate tonight lol 

I went on a short walk — stopped because it got dark. Walked laps inside the house. Step count was still pretty low for the day. Rode the bike and started binge watching a show. The timer reset on the bike but I know I got like 140 min or so (based on tv show length). I got over 1000 calories on the bike. Then I tried out the long bands. The triceps exercise is really hard with the band!! Nearly impossible to lift the band that high. I do better with the dumbbell. 

I think I need to make a check off list of exercises and rotate days/exercises. Like aim to do strength training 3x a week. But I’m doing less reps because I think I need to work my way up. 

sounds like a great plan!

8 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Gyrotonics today. Everyone is buzzing about the sudden gym closure. (My gryo instructor was originally from that gym.) 

We have been working many times on abs after we've done the "usual" set of upper and lower body work, and I'm seeing real increases in ab strength. I fret about my heavy tummy (became that way from my illness several years ago and has mostly refused to budge since then), but knowing that there is actual muscle underneath the middle-aged pooch is an encouragement. 

Ya for the ab strength improvement. It's a long, hard slog for us moms to gain ab strength.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I finally got power yesterday morning and was able to have a hot breakfast before I left for my interview. Then I didn't eat again until after 5 and didn't even realize it until 4 because I was just so busy. Then I ate a whole gf pizza in one go and was not the least bit ashamed. đŸ™‚

I was sitting almost continuously about 4 hours between driving to the interview, the interview, driving back, driving to get girls and go the dentist. And I had pain but it wasn't nearly as bad as it had been. I am inching better. This week has been lots of visiting at the hospital standing around and not a lot of movement but I guess I needed the rest. 

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, Soror said:

I finally got power yesterday morning and was able to have a hot breakfast before I left for my interview. Then I didn't eat again until after 5 and didn't even realize it until 4 because I was just so busy. Then I ate a whole gf pizza in one go and was not the least bit ashamed. đŸ™‚

I was sitting almost continuously about 4 hours between driving to the interview, the interview, driving back, driving to get girls and go the dentist. And I had pain but it wasn't nearly as bad as it had been. I am inching better. This week has been lots of visiting at the hospital standing around and not a lot of movement but I guess I needed the rest. 

Oh no — please refresh my memory. What’s going on at the hospital? 

and was the power an issue for just your block or ? Maybe I missed if you said the cause. 

Hey I ate a small? personal pan? pizza in one sitting at trivia night Tues. I ate nachos & some ice cream before my 2 hr bike ride. It’s called balance đŸ¤£

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Oh no — please refresh my memory. What’s going on at the hospital? 

and was the power an issue for just your block or ? Maybe I missed if you said the cause. 

Hey I ate a small? personal pan? pizza in one sitting at trivia night Tues. I ate nachos & some ice cream before my 2 hr bike ride. It’s called balance đŸ¤£

My aunt is in the hospital.

I live more rural so down a road- everyone from my house down lost power (as far as I know). We were out for 36 hours and my house got down to 50. I was about to go to my Mom's house. It was just an extra stress on top of everything else. Dh did figure out how to use our generator for heat-- after we got power. Anyway- we have it now and all is well. We had a winter storm with lots of wet snow. Where I live there are lots of trees and the heavy snow means that they break off onto power lines. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This is a pic of my road at 5 something in the morning Wednesday. It was no wonder we lost power. The other pic is when we last had snow but it wasn't so heavy. Not in the exact spot but most of my road is surrounded by trees. The second pic is me on the road in front of my house. There are no neighbors for a mile that direction.

IMG_20230125_060326223.jpg

IMG_20221222_164417125.jpg

Edited by Soror
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, knitgrl said:

My oncologist encourages regular massage, even now a few years after surgery. 

In addition to regular stretching, I find standing in the shower and letting the hot water hit the area to be helpful. 

• Like 3

More schoolwork last night, interrupted by a run to the Indian grocery store to scrounge dinner for my adult kiddo. I finally finished (fingers crossed!) my tasks on the school project at about 10:30 and wrestled with whether I should still for for a walk. I had about 6,000 steps to go to meet my goal, and I just couldn't work up enthusiasm about heading out late and in the cold (for Florida) when I was already tired and feeling blah. I ended up putting the dog to bed and riding the stationary bike (which is right next to her crate) for most of two episodes of Ginny and Georgia, which is was enough to get to my 15,000 steps. 

Walked about 4.5K this morning, after which I attempted to do my regular strength and stretching. However, someone is feeling clingy and is determined to be right with/on top of me as much as possible. Combine that with the ongoing closet reorganization happening in the bedroom that has boxes and piles of random stuff encroaching on my workout space, and it ended up being a somewhat abbreviated session.

More walking later, I hope.

I have a fair amount of schoolwork to do this weekend, but I am signed up for a community 5K tomorrow and may be heading out to Blue Springs park on Sunday to walk the boardwalk and visit the manatees. So, those will ensure that I get at least some time moving and being outside.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 216.3 of 500K
Walking Streak: 31

IMG_20230127_085624277.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 7

On 1/25/2023 at 11:26 PM, Harriet Vane said:

@Laura Corinmight have some wisdom to offer on this. She recently did some sleep retraining that might help.

I have tried various  things but the effects haven't lasted long for me. Whereas when I was younger I would wake up with a 'buzzy head' once in a while, now it is most nights.  Currently, I  find that if I listen to a mildly interesting podcast, it distracts me enough that after half an hour I can go back to sleep. 

However, the most important thing is to give myself a long sleep window. I turn out the light at around ten and most days can stay in bed until eight if I like. Knowing that there is plenty of time to recover from poor sleep reduces my anxiety and makes it easier for me to drift off.

I haven't checked in for a few days. On Wednesday I was busy at work and lazy at home - a rare day of zero exercise. Yesterday - sun salutations,  Kegels,  a good walk. Today just a walk.

Today was the beginning of my gut health, blood sugar and fat response testing.  Already I have learned how poorly my body deals with sugar - 45 grams of no-sugar Alpen took my blood sugar almost out of the top of the normal zone, only for me to crash back out of the bottom of the zone shortly afterwards. My snacking/grazing behaviour makes a lot of sense in this context. I'm going to enjoy seeing what better choices I can make.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@Laura Corinill be interested to hear how your testing goes. You’re doing the Zoe testing? I’ve been wearing a continuous glucose monitor for the last 11 months and it is truly eye opening. Still! I can’t really handle carbs, but definitely not sugar. It’s been great for me though. And eating to control blood sugar spikes has really improved my mood and energy levels. Walking or exercising after I eat has the best effect on my levels. 

I walked outside today and did all my other weight exercises inside. The first day this week I can check all the boxes on my health to do list! 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

Calisthenics and PT work yesterday. Short HIIT tonight. 

I am easing into IF. I naturally don't want to eat before 10 am, but I am pushing it to noon and hoping to close window at 7. I may find 8 is more reasonable and be 16/8 like so many others. Today it was easy to make it to almost 1:30. 

My usual window is 11 to 7 or 8 - depending on supper timing. 11 is my first cup of tea with milk. I eat lunch at 12 or 12.30.

• Like 5

I walked about an hour today. My phone was fixed recently but I lost music briefly on my walk again!! Ugh. Like internet just dropped? Losing my music ruins my walk lol 

It took 2 times ordering it but I got my larger thermos. It’s a 40oz. Now I won’t run out of water so easily. 

Rode bike 40 min today. Over 11k steps for the day (don’t wear pedometer on my foot so that’s not counting biking) 

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

Awesome. How long have you been IF? We eat dinner 6ish but sometimes snack a bit after. I am also trying to curb a sweet tooth. 

Only a month or two. I really miss my tea with milk first thing. I'm still struggling to accept missing that comfortable start to the day.

• Like 6

Cat got me up early--no concept of weekends with that one. So yoga is done--Day 14 Stretch. We had some sun breaks yesterday--if that happens again today I should get out for a little walk.

I got all of my Alg 1 tests graded--they were quick and easy. This weekend I need to get about 75 Alg 2 tests graded. I was too tired to think last night so I folded laundry instead of getting started. The first page is 4 quadratic formula problems so I have to be able to look deep and find what went wrong. Finished with my mocha--time to pull out the tests.

• Like 7

Hello,  I haven't checked in in a while.   I mainly just did yoga again last week, no early morning workouts with dd.   I'm determined to get back into them next week.    I was feeling very tired and just punky/off/not quite right.   I have a swollen gland in my neck so I may be coming down with something (also sneezy today but could be/probably is allergies).  

We have a guest coming tomorrow.  Dd has a friend visiting from out of state so we have plans to visit NYC, museums, zoos, aquariums, etc.  Should get a LOT of walking in next week.

I am doing the same challenge that Jenny is.  I finished the first part of it that had to be done in January.  

• Like 7

I was up way too early, so did my sun salutations and weights work first thing. This morning I went to the nearest city to get Mum's jewellery valued, so did some good brisk walking from the Chinese supermarket where Husband was shopping to the jeweller.  After lunch, I investigated a nature reserve I had never visited - a bit bleak right now, but worth revisiting come summer. Then I walked the dog. And housework, so a good, active day.

• Like 7

Well, that "more walking later" did not materialize yesterday. I ended up working on that school project until after 10:00, then remembered that I had a discussion post due in my other class by midnight. 

Fortunately, today got off to a better start. I did the 5K and wandered the festival with my husband. We then stopped for lunch a some quick shopping on the way home, which, all told, has me at well over 12,000 steps for the day so far. 

The weather was chilly for walking this morning. I actually left on my hoodie, which is very rare for me. No personal record, but I was right on the same pace I've been managing pretty consistently lately. Plus, it was a community event, so lots of kids and dogs on the route and people actually talked to each other. 

I'm tentatively scheduled to meet up with a friend this afternoon, which may well involve some more incidental walking. If that falls through or is not enough to top off my daily step count, I will work really hard to find a way to get in those final 3,000 or so steps.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 218.2 of 500K
Walking Streak: 32

• Like 7

Didn't do any formal exercise yesterday, as it was dd's birthday. Had to go for a dry run radiation appointment, and then took the kids to the children's museum, so I got lots of steps in during the afternoon. Today I did a quick walk on the treadmill to warm up and did my strength training.

• Like 9

Met up with my friend yesterday afternoon and walked around the lake at a nearby park looking for a scenic location to take some photos of her for a work publication. We got a few shots she was happy with and also knocked out my remaining steps for the day. 

I'm technically short on distance, because I don't "double dip" by counting walking I do for race events towards my seasonal walking challenge, but I will try to make it up over the next week or so.

No walking to speak of this morning. I had a not-quite-argument with my adult kiddo last night that resulted in the cancellation of plans we had for this morning and left me feeling pretty flat. I got out of bed only when my son called and reminded me that we had said we were going to lunch today. So, I took the dog out for a walk around the block, but that's all I've done so far.

We'll see how the rest of the day goes.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 221.2 of 500K
Walking Streak: 33

• Like 8

Today I went walking. It started raining but I continued for a while. Got a little over 5k steps and then rode the bike for 32 min. I still need to type up my list of strength training exercises to start. I guess I'll do that tonight. 

There is a member section for the resistance bands' exercises and they do use two arms for the tricep exercise. The image shows one arm, though. So I guess using two hands is not discouraged and really it's the only way to make it practical lol. You're standing on one end of the band and pulling it up over your head.

Remember I said it took like 3 tries to get the dress I wanted in a size that fit? Well I made this video for fun on social media and I'm just happy to be able to fit into cute clothes again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjvX-8L5YxU My confidence has gone up. Also, I used to have a lot of incontinence issues that hardly happen anymore I'm guessing from all the fitness stuff and weight loss. 

• Like 8

Starting place. Maybe M/W/F long bands and T/TH/SAT short bands? 

Long bands: 
Sumo squat (10)
Russian Twist (10 per side) 
Glute bridge (20)

Booty bands: 
Seated abduction (20) 
Side lying clam (10 each leg) 
Fire hydrant (25 per leg) 

These call for 2-3 reps but I want to start out slower. 

There are more exercises but it gets overwhelming. I know I need to add the upper body stuff too but some of those are already in my HIIT. 
  • Like 7

Never went outside this weekend (other than church). The "late afternoon rain" hit at about noon on Saturday when I thought I might walk with dd, and then yesterday the cold came. We're on the edge of the arctic air--about 25° right now. Sunny, but we just don't want to be out in it. Off to do the treadmill.

• Like 8

Dd and I met up at PF this morning.  We decided to try the 30 minute workout - it's 20 stations, 10 steps/risers and 10 weight machines.  You do each one for a minute then switch.  It actually got my heart rate up better than the treadmill and wasn't as boring.  Plus I'm trying to work on steps because I've had a hard time going up stairs lately. 

Once the weather is nicer, we will go for a walk after doing the workout, as a cool-down.  I may start doing it on mornings where it's not awful out.  Even if it's just a walk to the end of the strip mall with PF and back.  It's probably about 1/4 mile long strip mall.  

I'm going to head over to work and do some yoga after I print paychecks for last week and write out my rent check to mail.  I may walk from work to the post office to mail the rent check too.   It's not far, maybe 1/2 mile loop but it's something (and hilly!).  

Dd and I are meeting up again tomorrow.  Then younger dd has a friend here for the week and we're going to a big aquarium Wednesday.  It's a drive so we have to leave early so no workout with older dd, but I'm sure I'll get a ton of steps at the aquarium.  

Then Thursday workout with older dd.  Then Friday we're taking the kids into NYC to the Museum of Natural History, so lots of steps again.  

I also had no snack after dinner last night.   I think stopping that snacking or at least making it something like a small bowl of popcorn instead of cookies or ice cream, would also be a big help.  

• Like 9

Yucky day yesterday, and I did no intentional exercise at all. I would up with a grand total of 6,000 steps. 

Started this morning with the usual 4K-ish of walking, but I had time for only about 15 minutes of strength and stretching before I had to sit down to work.

Not that I am likely to do a lot of actual work today. I'm still feeling very, very low emotionally, and I had a (virtual) job interview this afternoon. 

Plus, my boss (with whom I share a grad school class this semester) just reminded me of an assignment I completely forgot about that is due Wednesday morning. So, the time for more walking/exercise this evening will be pretty limited.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 225.9 of 500K
Walking Streak: 34

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Perfect storm here. With my gym closing and a huuuuuge work deadline my exercising (other than gyrotonics) has not been great. I have all kinds of equipment in my house (hand weights, stretchy bands, a recumbent bike, that sort of thing), and I have a pretty wooded lane right here in my neighborhood, but I tend to have tunnel vision when I am under deadline pressure and not take the time to go use that stuff as I ought. Turned in the work project this morning and am a zombie from lack of sleep.

I've always done my best writing at night, and I don't think I can sustain it much longer, especially since I teach class first thing in the morning. Every time I get my schedule stable and my sleep on track, another deadline looms and everything goes out the window. I've made significant improvements--for a while a couple years ago my sleep was seriously, really dysfunctional and seriously unhealthy. At this point I rotate between a decent-but-could-be-better sleep schedule for 3-4 weeks, and then there will be a week of chaos. I have always assumed I can learn to write with a normal sleep schedule, but I'm beginning to really question how much I'll be able to thwart the habits of a lifetime. Just musing...

For now, I've decided it's fine to simply take it easy today and make sure I get to sleep early without fail. I will likely take some magnesium to help things along and reduce muscle tension. Plan for tomorrow is to ride the recumbent bike and do a solid rotation of the PT exercises that dominated my life over the last semester. 

• Like 7

Things eased up here a little bit yesterday, in terms of emotional tone. The familial situation more or less resolved, and I got an interview for the job that I was kind of excited about that I assumed I was out of the running for. I still crashed pretty hard in the evening and spent the last couple of hours before bed fighting tears. I did not finish the school assignment -- so that is still looming for this evening -- but did take a good walk and finish the step count for the day, at least.

Walked this morning, but did not make my 4K+ goal due to getting a late start. (My husband is back in the office as of this week, and figuring out how to work my morning wake up and exercise routine around his getting ready for work time is an adjustment.) I walked only 3.5K and followed that with a 20-minute upper body workout video.

Yoga tonight, thank goodness, and I will attempt to work in some extra walking before then so that I don't end up with half my steps left and also facing a very late night to finish the school assignment.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 234.9 of 500K
Walking Streak: 35

• Like 6

Radiation started yesterday, so that is at least 2.5 hours out of each day on weekdays. Sigh. Got a mile in on the treadmill yesterday in 15 minutes, so that wasn't too bad. Today I did my strength training, increasing my sets from 2 to 3.

Edited by knitgrl
  • Like 10

I weighed myself on Sunday. It seems my scale app didn't keep the stats from the previous time and reset everything.Â đŸ™„Â đŸ˜’I only cared because both my weight and body fat went up slightly, so I wanted to see what the other measurement were like. Since it doesn't sync to my Fitbit app, I had manually entered the info and could see what my previous weight and body fat numbers were.

No inches lost to report yet.

I'm feeling like I need to start c2 5k. My daily calorie burn seems to already be plateauing and I'm taking that to mean I need to up my game. If the weather starts to warm, I'll start in the mornings before work. Next week I'm going to try using 5lbs weights instead of my 2lbs with some of the Jorge Cruise workout.

• Like 7

We headed south this week, so I’ve been enjoying walking outside! Got to play pickleball once, hope to get some more exercise in. Was thinking this would be a better cardio week. Been keeping up with my Pilates roll ups and feel so good about the changes in my back and core strength. 
Still not sleeping great. So, that will be my February goal, trying to find a solution.  I’m sleeping through the night better, but my apps are saying no real deep sleep. My heart rate isn’t dropping like it should for a good deep sleep. And I feel tired when I wake up. I think it’s due to some underlying work anxiety I just can’t let go of. But maybe it’s something else. 
Otherwise, January was pretty good. I’m proud of the resistance and weight training progress I’ve made. 

• Like 7

I have to drive to my dad's today so I can meet dd after school tomorrow. I'm probably not getting my formal exercise today. I woke up with the intention to go walking but just laid in the bed and started getting a work request before 8 am ugh so I'm on the computer trying to do some work before I pack and drive to the office and then drive from there to my dad's. I'll try to pack myself some food for the car so I don't eat fast food. We'll see LOL. 

• Like 5