Menu

Kindergarten math

countrymum

Ok I'm not new to this, but I'm working on a large family rhythm. I have taught Kindergarten math 3 times mostly using RightStart A e2. I have a 3.5 year old who is flying through Kate Snows preschool book. She listened in on RightStart A last year and evidently learned lots...

She loves to do school, but I do not want to push. I am thinking of starting a kindergarten book slowly next fall when she is 4.5. We are having a baby in the summer. Then there will be 6 kids.

I used RightStart for years, but switched the oldest 2 into math mammoth for 4 and 6th this year. It's going well. 3rd ds is doing Math with Confidence 1. It is perfect for him. However RightStart A worked for him last year when Kate Snows kindergarten book did not. He needed all the explicit number sense and place value work. Like it took months to recognize 8 as 5 and 3 and 7 as 5 and 2 and remember that he had 10 fingers even? Like I said, we got over that hump and math with Confidence 1 is perfect and not hard for him at all.

This current 3 year old is my first to like numbers as a toddler....what would you do next year? If it is not planned, I do not get to it....

I've thought about RightStart A again or Math with Confidence K. I will probably have her do math mammoth for 1st grade unless I decide I love math with Confidence more as her brother goes through it...I am open to other ideas though...send me all thoughts....especially large family ones;) Oh, and I do like math;)

I would consider Miquon.  Given that she has been listening in on instruction for a while, she might enjoy the number play and figuring out more independently.  FWIW, even though the books are inexpensive, I slip the pages in sheet protectors so that kids can do the same page more than once.

• Like 3

I don't have a large family by my definition, but my kids are almost 4, 6, 9, and 10, so it's pretty mom-intense homeschooling years. I've found online Beast Academy to be great because it's challenging but there are resources to help them figure things out before calling me. I still have to be nearby and redirect attention, but it makes it day much smoother. Right now we just play math with the youngest, doing things that involve counting, verbal word problems, letting him identify numbers in instructions, etc. I'll probably move into doing MEP reception and maybe level 1 with him soon. I have Kate Snow's Math Facts that Stick series, so I'll probably have him go through those for addition and subtraction before starting Beast Academy 1. If I had her Kindergarten and first grade on hand, I would likely use those instead. My kids are all very bright and catch onto ideas quickly, which certainly impacts this method.

24 minutes ago, countrymum said:

Hmmm then I'd need to buy cuisenere (sp) rods right? Not sure this is a problem, but we've got lots of manipulatives....

You would, or at the very least base-10 cm cubes - which you probably have with Right Start.  But if you did buy a small set of c-rods I think the program would meet your needs: paced for an accelerated child, independent work between time with mom, number play, hands on for a younger student to "play school", very little prep, and doesn't break the budget.

• Thanks 1

Miquon is recommended for 1st grade at Rainbow resource. Would it be to hard for a 4.5 yr old to start? I was looking at K programs....I like the play aspect of it though.

Xahm thanks for your thoughts too. Kate Snows stuff is good, it is just kind of slow maybe at least the K level? But that could be good for a 4 yr old. It's been a long time since I looked at MEP.

23 minutes ago, countrymum said:

Miquon is recommended for 1st grade at Rainbow resource. Would it be to hard for a 4.5 yr old to start? I was looking at K programs....I like the play aspect of it though.

Xahm thanks for your thoughts too. Kate Snows stuff is good, it is just kind of slow maybe at least the K level? But that could be good for a 4 yr old. It's been a long time since I looked at MEP.

I'd use CSMP K for a kid that age, before starting Miquon or MEP 1.

I "do" Math with Confidence K with my 4.5 year old. I think it's perfect for her. It has a lot of activities in the teacher guide and workbook that she can actually do independently after I read her the instructions. I actually bought a pack of small labels and put numbers 0-9 on them and she sticks them to the page instead of writing her answers.

I say "do" because I definitely don't do every activity every lesson and don't finish a lesson a day or anything. It's just there because she also wants "real" school like her brother. 

Although I think for her Kindergarten year I want to do Singapore, although she might make me do BA (again so she can be like her brother)...

We did math with confidence K when my dd was 4 and are now doing math mammoth 1 at 5 and she's handled both fine. I switched to math mammoth because it seems like it'll be easier to manage multiple kids in it than MWC once her younger siblings are ready for school. We also have a lot of board games that have simple math practice without being "math games". Maybe an older sibling could play a game with her a couple times a week?

Edited by Momof3sweetgirls

On 12/6/2022 at 3:02 PM, countrymum said:

Miquon should be fine for your child. The first book starts from counting onwards

On 12/6/2022 at 3:25 PM, Rosie_0801 said:

I'd use CSMP K for a kid that age, before starting Miquon or MEP 1.

Note that MEP 1 is meant for on-level 5 year olds, not on-level 6 year olds

I have a newly 5 year old- 6th kid so I've done this before- and we tried MWC and I really didn't like it.  I decided to try the new Primary Mathematics 2022 edition Kindergarten set.  She has finished book A and working on book B and I really like it.  It uses tens frames, has engaging pictures, and plenty of room for a little one to write.  I do add in calendar, skip counting, and lots of playing with manipulatives.   Since I've taught K so many times, I have lots of fun things to use.  I just wanted to have the worksheets all together. 

Thanks. I actually have seen Kindergarten MWC. I started it with her older brother, then went with RightStart A for him, but now he is doing MWC 1st and it is about perfect. I just want something exploratory for his little sister. I think that since she is young I'll kind of try both MWC and Miquon. Like each 2-3 days a week and do more of the one she clicks better with;) Or pause one when it gets too hard.....

On 12/14/2022 at 8:37 PM, BusyMom5 said:

I have a newly 5 year old- 6th kid so I've done this before- and we tried MWC and I really didn't like it.  I decided to try the new Primary Mathematics 2022 edition Kindergarten set.  She has finished book A and working on book B and I really like it.  It uses tens frames, has engaging pictures, and plenty of room for a little one to write.  I do add in calendar, skip counting, and lots of playing with manipulatives.   Since I've taught K so many times, I have lots of fun things to use.  I just wanted to have the worksheets all together. 

I will take a closer look at this too. Thanks. I'm afraid it may go too fast for a 4.5 yr old. MWC k is so gentle... I thought it might be fine for preK

The 1st is totally perfect for my 1st grader for whom math comes a bit hard. He is learning, enjoying it mostly, and it's not too hard!

We started Math With Confidence Kindergarten with my 4 year old this year, and it has been going well. We do it 2-4 days a week, and he says math is his favorite 🙂 He will probably finish around his 5th birthday. 

His older sister started MWC in kindergarten age 5, then completed MWC 1st grade age 6. We were ahead of the MWC release schedule by six months, and transitioned to Math Mammoth 1B. We could’ve jumped to 2, but it was good for her confidence to transition to the worktext where the math material was not totally new. When she is starting something really foundational and new, I use manipulatives to present the topic. The Math With Confidence teacher guide helped me become a more effective math teacher in general.

For my son starting younger, I will do the same except: I will time the switch to math mammoth and more independence with his reading becoming fluent. With my first the timing worked out by chance. In hindsight that was a good transition point: MWC teaching is mostly oral, the worksheet font is larger, all great things when you’re using a lot of brain energy on establishing phonics.

If I had six kids, I would use the thing I’m familiar with(mwc or RS) and not add in something new until I see my kids needs not being met.

I'm going to throw another one at you to look at because my daughter who is 5 is loving it so much! the good and the beautiful math! The K book is really easy but my daughter loves it so it may be worth it to look into for preschool. I like that it incorporates a lot of thinking and logic it feels more conceptual all while being traditional in some ways too. 

Edited by seemesew

With a new baby coming, maybe you could keep it super simple.  Write a number every day on a calendar, practice counting daily on a hundred board and abacus, and practice adding little items together later in the year with anything laying around the house.  I did something similar this year and my son in the first semester knows how to write and count to 100, counts by 1s, 2s, 10s, and 5s well.  He knows most of his addition facts just buy exposing him to cuisenaire rods and toys.  We did read Number Stories aloud and it was fun for him.  K can simply be a list of goals and work 10 minutes daily on this during your tutoring time with him without buying anything or feeling stressed to finish something in particular.  All you need is a calendar, 100 chart, abacus, and choice of combining items.  You may already have those items😁.

Blessings,

Brenda

On 12/6/2022 at 3:02 PM, countrymum said:

I did Math-U-See Primer with my younger one when he was four and then used Miquon after that. Primer is nice in that you don't have to do the topics in order for the most part. I love their clock with the rods. 

My son thrived with Miquon. It's such a cool program.