Menu

High school trip-international travel

teachermom2834

My dd is in brick and mortar high school this year and it is the first time our family is involved in school. So it is all new. There is a trip being planned for June 2024 to France. I’m open to considering her going on the trip. I like the teacher and the teacher has done the trip with the tour company many times. I went to an info meeting last week. 

I am super turned off by the hard sell marketing coming from the tour company. I get that it is a business and the company has their sales tactics etc. They are pressuring for a commitment in the next week. I am super skeptical that they are really closing this trip 20 months in advance. I told my dd that I’m open to it just unwilling to commit this far out so we just have to wait and see what happens. 

Does anyone have experience with this? I feel like they advertised a trip to Spain for this coming summer when school started in august. So I’m thinking they likely will still be advertising this 2024 France trip when they go back to school in Fall 2023 and we can make a decision then. I’m willing to take my chances and wait it out. Just wondered what other people had experienced with these kind of trips.

Thanks!

Just now, vonfirmath said:

I've never seen a trip planned that far out. I don't think you can even buy flights that far

Right. That’s why I’m not buying the line that they need my commitment now. I did read an online review of the company that said that they do try to get commitments this far ahead. But I’m not sure I believe they will turn away my money a year from now.

Edited by teachermom2834

My son did 2 trips to France in high school and it was maybe 13-14 months out with an end of the school year notice for the following summer.  Then an initial interest meeting in September that was followed by another meeting and an initial deposit by mid November, I think.   20 months is like a long time, especially to make a non-refundable deposit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our youth group is planning a trip to Guatemala in the summer 2023. They needed commitments by end of October.

Band plans domestic trips for spring break and again -- commitments by end of October

I can believe they'd like to have prelim numbers by the end of this school year and firm commitments by next fall for a June 2024 International trip.

• Thanks 1

Just now, vonfirmath said:

No is a complete sentence.

Oh I agree. I told my dd no way would I even consider it right now and even at her age she understands all the things that could change in that amount of time. I’m not even considering it I just wondered if other people had this tour group making this same high pressure pitch and then the trip was really still open the next year. I really believe it will be.  I’m not paying now regardless…it’s ridiculous.

• Like 2

Each of my kids did an overseas trip with a regional music program booked through an educational touring company. The first info meetings were like in the 12-14 month range and the first deposits were due in about 10 months prior.  That seems nuts to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DS18 is going to the Dominican Republic with his school in April 2023. The first info meeting they had about it was May 2022. I think the trip filled up within the first week after the meeting. Not sure when commitments were *required*, but there were limited spots and a lot of interest so people jumped on it.  This was less than a year out though.  20 months seems like a lot. 

The school did just have an info meeting last month for a London/Paris trip in spring 2024. Didn't attend as DD15 has no interest in those locations. I wonder if they were asking for early commitments. The same company is doing both trips. 

• Thanks 1

A year-and-a-half in advance appears to be a long lead time.  If this teacher has worked with this tour company before, have they planned this far out before?  Are they wanting a smallish deposit or a much larger amount up front? 

I have seen marketing a bit more than a year out--in the spring of one year for the summer in the following year so that students can work a summer job, ask for funding as a birthday or Christmas present, etc. over the next year.  The only reason I can think of to begin this far out is that the dollar has been very strong recently relative to the euro; the company by be trying to lock in some prices while the value of the dollar is high if they think this trend is going to reverse. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My daughter did a trip to England in high school.  It was a theatre package tour with her drama class.  They went through EF tours and the cost was very reasonable for everything they did.  They went over spring break and planning began about six months in advance.  We had time to make a decision and make a few payments leading up to the departure if you didn't want to hand over a lump sum up front.  It was an excellent experience all around.  We had a planning meeting at the school to answer questions and nail down details, but I don't remember the tour company being involved.  There was never a hard sell and our information was funneled through the drama teacher. 

• Thanks 1

L’s college takes all first years on a travel experience (most internationally), run by a travel company, but the trip is led by faculty. The kids put in their top 3 choices in Sept, they announce right before fall break, and travel over the week before Spring break. So, nowhere near 20 months. I’m guessing they don’t have actual numbers until students come back in Jan. 

I can understand letting parents know far enough in advance to budget, give money gifts for Christmas/birthday, etc, but not require a commitment now.

• Thanks 1

Here, trips are planned out about 2yrs in advance so kids are time to raise the money. I don’t know how the payments work though. When I went to the parent meetings for similar trips, I always thought the trips were way to expensive for what is offered, and they all seem to try to squeeze in way too much so that each stop is very quick. More of a drive by than a tour to me.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, City Mouse said:

Here, trips are planned out about 2yrs in advance so kids are time to raise the money. I don’t know how the payments work though. When I went to the parent meetings for similar trips, I always thought the trips were way to expensive for what is offered, and they all seem to try to squeeze in way too much so that each stop is very quick. More of a drive by than a tour to me.

I think it is great to plan trips way in advance. Especially if you were doing to let your child do one trip it would be nice to know what was on the schedule and what to budget and give time to save/raise money. 

I’m just balking at wanting $1000 more than 18 months out. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 3

Imo — friends can change and not that many kids might go.  My son wanted to go on a school trip until he found out none of his friends were going and then he didn’t want to go At All.  If he had had a change in friends though, it would have possibly been the kind of thing very awkward for him.  It’s also awkward for him if other kids are going with friends and he’s taking a chance on joining a group or finding some other kids who are also going more individually. 

This could all depend on the set up of the trip and the numbers going.  If it’s like — a fairly small number and they won’t mix with other groups — I don’t think I would risk it this far out.

I was shocked at the school trip my son didn’t want to do, too, I thought he would intrinsically want to go for the trip, but — he just did not. 

Edit:  of course there are kids where this social part would be a non-issue because they wouldn’t care or they would find a nice group to hang around with.  With my kids they would need to have some conditions set that I don’t think could be set so far in advance.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree ANNOUNCING early is smart.  We probably had the heads up the trip was in planning phase about 2 years out and our music org does do some fundraisers kids/families can participate in through the year.  

Requiring $1000 that far out is nuts to me!  If I recall correctly our initial committment was in the $100-200 range.  Subsequent payments were more.  Enough so they got a good sense of who was committed.  But not so much that it would be catastrophic if someone lost their initial deposit.  In our case there was music assignment and learning and rehearsals involved so that had to be organized starting about a year in advance.

Edited by catz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lecka said:

Imo — friends can change and not that many kids might go.  My son wanted to go on a school trip until he found out none of his friends were going and then he didn’t want to go At All.  If he had had a change in friends though, it would have possibly been the kind of thing very awkward for him.  It’s also awkward for him if other kids are going with friends and he’s taking a chance on joining a group or finding some other kids who are also going more individually. 

This could all depend on the set up of the trip and the numbers going.  If it’s like — a fairly small number and they won’t mix with other groups — I don’t think I would risk it this far out.

I was shocked at the school trip my son didn’t want to do, too, I thought he would intrinsically want to go for the trip, but — he just did not. 

Edit:  of course there are kids where this social part would be a non-issue because they wouldn’t care or they would find a nice group to hang around with.  With my kids they would need to have some conditions set that I don’t think could be set so far in advance.  

The social thing is definitely part of it. My dd is a freshman. She has been at this school three months...her current friends are going but what if they all are not friends anymore at the end of sophomore year?  Totally possible. Too many things can happen. 

What if the teacher leading it (who we like) leaves the school? or gets sick? And they send another teacher we don't like? Or what if grandparents get sick? Or what if one of her adult siblings is getting married? Or dd decides to apply to an academic summer program that overlaps? Or I need surgery and she doesn't want to leave me? or any number of possibilities? Sure anything can come up 8 months out but the closer you get the more possibilities fall to the wayside and the more it becomes necessary to make plans so it is understandable a commitment needs to be made. Gosh we had a 20 month period in which my mom got sick and died and my dh had surgery and he lost two jobs and we relocated...and I'm sure other stuff that I blocked out.

Alot can happen in that much time. 

1 minute ago, Lecka said:

I’m going to add, I would say expect there to be a 50/50 chance that there is some underage drinking issue and you won’t be surprised if it happens.  

It’s just — one of those things.  

Oh sure...all kinds of hazards with teenagers and travel out of the country (or down the street!) Those concerns are to be considered but a whole different issue. 

I would not count on the friends from the first 3 months of freshman year, at a new school, At All.  Too much can change.

They also might not really close the date when they say….. but it could get more expensive by waiting.  It could depend on how many kids sign up with the hard sell.  

Just now, Lecka said:

I would not count on the friends from the first 3 months of freshman year, at a new school, At All.  Too much can change.

They also might not really close the date when they say….. but it could get more expensive by waiting.  It could depend on how many kids sign up with the hard sell.  

I agree that this is the case.

Honestly I wish my son would have gone on the school trip to Boston!

And he missed a trip to New York to see musicals, because of Covid.

It turns out I’m much more interested in seeing the Freedom Trail than he is, I would have loved to go.  

But I can see how he would have had a less-good time if he was tagging along with people who were friends, too.  

Edit:  I would have bragged to everyone I knew about it, for sure, which is also not something my son likes, because then he is going to have people ask him about it…. I have stopped with this as it turns out he really doesn’t like it and really wanted me to stop.  

Edited by Lecka

On the topic of underage drinking, if you have concerns about that, I would check in with supervisory protocals.  I actually went as a chaperone on both my kids trip.  Kids and families had to sign a behavioral contract that included drinking.  Kids would be flown home on their parents dime if there were issues.  There were random room checks.  A lot of activities were intentionally done int he evening.  I don't know, it was in generally a very focused and academic bunch of music kids and it definitely did not happen.  There was a chaperone to every 4-6 students though.   The schedule was TIGHT.   Our biggest behavoiral problem between both trips was from a 13 year old on the very youngest end allowed and the issues weren't anything like that.  They actually bumped up the minimum age after that.  

I will say, I went to France as a senior in high school.  It was ALL seniors.  We were allowed a little wine with dinner at times.  It was fine.  I actually personally never worried about my own kids that way just because they would be more likely to report than drink if some kid was trying to pull one over on the leadership.  I went on a number of high school trips (a band trip to the bahamas, a bus trip to Canada, a couple shorter journeys).  There wasn't drinking on the trips I was on.

I wouldn't commit now either.  I'd think about maybe next fall if it were still an option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shelydon said:

Our homeschool group plans international trips with EF Tours. The trips are built almost 24 months in advance. It's great because then you get to pay monthly over 18-24 months. 

Yes this is it. I know it is a big company so I knew someone else must have heard of it. And surely some people must like it and obviously you and your group do! I would rather hold onto my money until closer to time but I know the payment plan was a big selling point. 

I could see it for someone with a different starting age than “3 months into freshman year” or a group where it was more of a known or long association…. 

Hearing it’s an established company with this model and people like the payment — makes sense.

I could see it more with Junior year to Senior year, than Freshman to Sophomore, or if it was a group where you just knew it wasn’t likely to be too cliquey.  Or your child just wouldn’t mind.  

I will just add — we have had many issues with kids saying they are doing something but they haven’t actually gotten their parents’ permission or their parents don’t know all the details etc.

Then all of a sudden — totally different kids are doing the thing.  

It’s just — something that happens.  

Is this just my son’s friends lol.