Menu

Help me get myself (and my household) organized ahead of hysterectomy - updated

footballmom

I am having a laparoscopic hysterectomy in a few weeks and would love to hear any tips or items to have on hand for a smooth recovery after surgery.  It’s scheduled for a very low key / low commitment time for the family and I know DH will be a one person show for household labor - he’s ready. A friend was telling me about a supportive band that was helpful for her to wear after her endometriosis surgery - would something like this be helpful for me? Lay all your suggestions on me!

I know it’s a strange thing to be excited about, but I am really excited to get on the other side of this. Chronic anemia, heavy cycles, feeling like I’m working so hard to stay productive when I’m feeling awful, it has been so much window dressing,  

Edited by footballmom

I had an open one, so not exactly comparable.  I appreciated having my house clean before because you can’t do much bending for awhile.  Some freezer meals are good. You definitely want gas-x. With laparoscopic, the gas is often the most painful part, and it can be really bad.  And something for constipation.  I did have a band that I used around my incision, and I put ice packs in it.  I think it helped, but I obviously can’t compare.  

• Like 3

Congratulations! 🎉

I had a TAH (total abdominal hysterectomy— 8 inch bikini line cut, removed everything except ovaries) earlier this year and it was the *best* decision I’ve ever made. 

Even though a TAH is a much more intensive surgery than laparoscopic, I had an easy recovery. My DH was still working from home, and while it was nice to have him around the first couple days I really didn’t *need* it. I’m not the type who likes to be waited on and I’ll admit I got irritated that he wouldn't let me fend for myself. 

I found the best advice on the hysterectomy subreddit. I bought a few too many things that I didn’t end up needing, but everyone is different and at least I had the options just in case they were helpful. I did buy a belly band (the hospital gave me one too— usually you can just ask) but only wore it a couple times. I didn’t find it useful but it was good to have available because it might have been. My favorite purchase was an electric heating pad, first for my belly and then for my back that got sore from the trauma and so much laying around.

My #1 piece of advice is to drink LOTS of water and eat all the fiber, both before and for several weeks post surgery. I didn’t have any GI issues (a big problem is constipation and BM pain post surgery) and credit hydration and fiber. I’ve read that gas pain is common with laparoscopic surgery because they fill your insides with gas, so gas x is recommended.

Other than that, you’ll want comfy pjs and sweats and a long list of shows to binge on Netflix. 🙂

I made sure my house was sparkly clean before surgery because I knew that despite DH's efforts, very little maintenance would actually get done. I was up and walking pretty much right away, but bending down didn’t happen for maybe a few weeks. Lifting anything over a gallon of milk is forbidden, so if you have small kids you’ll need to arrange for help. 

• Like 2

It’s been decades since my lap hysterectomy, and I didn’t have kids, so someone else will have more ideas, but a few things that were memorably helpful:

— spring for a really good heating pad

— use a pillow when sitting up or coughing

— eat well before and after, stay hydrated

— freezer meals prepped in advance

— don’t vacuum! Go ahead and find a cleaning crew you like, and schedule them biweekly (or weekly) for the first few months

— plan for more downtime than you think you will need

Good luck! I hope it’s a smooth experience and an easy recovery. I had mine at 28, and it was a huge relief. 

• Like 2

I had a laproscopic hysterectomy in 2020. I had fibroids and endometriosis, so after surgery I felt so much better. Best decision ever. Things I did: 

• stool softners
  • stay hydrated, keep fluids moving through
  • pay attention to doctors orders for lifting, stretching, and other activities. After a few weeks, I stretched up to get in a higher cabinet and popped a stitch. Freaked me out, but one call to the ER and some rest and I was fine.
  • have some lounge wear, pjs that don't bind your stomach. You will be swollen.

I literally took no pain meds after surgery, maybe ibuprofen once. I was back to working at home after a week - basically sitting at a desk for part of the day. In my case they had also fixed some issues caused by scar tissue from previous surgeries. 

Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

• Like 3

I had a vaginal hysterectomy many years ago due to fibroids. Other than post-anesthesia nausea (which is always a thing for me) and some vertigo two days after surgery (the second day I was home) I really had no issues at all. I don't recall buying anything special. I took some Dramamine or Bonine for the vertigo, slept for a few hours and then felt fine, much better than I'd felt in years. I tried to take it easy for a few days but in hindsight I probably hugely overdid things way too soon. I felt so much better than I did before the surgery that it was really hard to sit around and not do things. I hope your surgery is equally successful!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, footballmom said:

Thank you, all, this is super helpful! I’m a little nervous reading about the gas issue, but now I can be prepared 🙂

Get up and move around, walk to the bathroom and slowly move about (no bending) as soon as the doc tells you that you can, and that also helps with the gas issue. 

• Like 3

I had mine one month ago. fun fun, right? mine was the robotic and it was same day surgery. kick 'em out as fast as possible even if throwing up on the way out the front door. motion sickness from how fast that nurse was moving my wheelchair.  It's funny now.   eye roll at the time, but funny  now.

had dh stay home for day after.  Had friends "on call" if I needed help after that.   took miralax as others have indicated that need, they didn't tell me about gas x, that might have been nice too.   But don't remember it being a problem.  I know my belly was big from the surgery gas, but wasn't painful to deal with and went down.  didn't know about a band so didn't get that. friends asked me if I got that band thing, but I didn't know about it and no one offered.

to get ready...biggest things for me were Drivers to help get household members around, and planned simple meals for first week.  both of those were things that were easy to ask for help from those who said "if there's anything...."   slept a lot that first week.  liked my naps. no lifting over 10 pounds so I had to let others get the milk from the fridge since that was 8 pounds. and not use the cast iron skillet. meh.  plenty of binge watching and naps.  minimal chores, but then again some of my adult age children still live here and I could say "do this" and the youngest who has autism was ready to be grown up and cook and clean for me. I slowly added back myself into chores after 10 days.   

had a very easy recovery. no complications (except a skin sensitivity to the adhesive on bandage and just not liking the feel of the surgery staples).  and I wasn't dealing with homeschooling anymore.  They could have watched videos and done worksheets if we were still schooling.   One odd thing was my after surgery instructions  has conflicting information about when to resume driving.  Ask your doctor what's right for you.

• Like 2

Oh! Wait to fill all the pain medication prescriptions— you might not need them. Because mine was a TAH, they kept me in the hospital for 2 nights; I threw up most of the time because I was way overmedicated and apparently my body can’t handle it. I got off the pain meds as soon as I got home (only a very occasional Motrin) and immediately felt better. The only prescription I had DH fill was the anti nausea medicine until the hospital meds were out of my system. 

I do recommend moving (very slow walking) as soon as you can. It won’t be much at first and that’s okay, but the more you can move the better. Also know despite that your best efforts not to, that you’ll overdo it at some point; unfortunately it’s easy to do without knowing until after the fact. 

• Like 3

I had a 13 inch incision from my pubic bone to two inches over my belly button, because I had a 20 lb tumor removed.  I definitely needed the narcotic pain meds for several days, but I also used tylenol and ibuprofen, and switched to just those after about day five.  Definitely walking though.  That's hugely helpful and important.  

• Like 1

Oh, and if you do any kind of periodic bulk shopping/online shopping for hard to get things, maybe do it a little early--there are some really specific products we either can't get locally or can't count on to be regular, so I get them online. I order extras so that I can get over the minimum for free shipping. 

Making sure you have trash bags, cleaning supplies, etc. is also helpful too. 

It's been a long time since I've had to buy those kinds of supplies on a week to week basis due to finances, and I find that having the next thing on the shelf when I want to do a task frees up a lot of mental space for me. 🙂 YMMV

• Like 2

Don't be surprised if your chest is sore-that is also from the gas. While I know he didn't, I said it felt like the doctor stood on my chest to do the surgery. You might be more comfortable sleeping in the recliner so you aren't lying flat (it kind of stretches. Also, getting in and out of bed was difficult for me, so another reason for the recliner.

• Like 1

• footballmom changed the title to Help me get myself (and my household) organized ahead of hysterectomy - updated

Update - I’m a few days post op and recovery is going super well.  Y’all weren’t playing about the shoulder pain / gas.  Walking has helped the most with that.  

I leaned in on the advice to get the house sparkly clean and did a deep clean.  I did not have meals ready in the freezer because it’s kind of a toss up for who’s around for meals and didn’t want to overprepare in that area.  The belly band has been a big help and a friend sent me one of those grabber / pincher things - highly recommend! Bending all the way down to pick things up isn’t great, so this has really come in handy!

So far I’m really glad I did it.  It was a lot of planning and prep and praying - that it would go well and there wouldn’t be any Covid curveballs or anything else.  Based on what the doctor took care of, this was 1000% the right decision for me. 

• Like 21