Menu

Ds21 has an interview

Scarlett

It is warehouse work for a large medical supply distributor.  I went looking for their benefits……mainly how much health insurance premium is and how well the plan pays.  It is not out there that I can find.  Glassdoor says things like ‘medium cost, poor coverage’ and then also, ‘great coverage!’  Why isn’t it listed somewhere? It seems to be more top secret than wages paid.  

I don't think I've ever seen a job listing or company website that gave details of health insurance.  Premium cost will vary whether it's for the individual alone, or dependents. They may have choices of plans. The little company I work for has 3 plans to choose from. And, reviews are always going to be mixed, depending on reviewers' experiences.  I was shocked once to hear a friend complain about the health insurance we both had (through our husbands' employer); I thought it was great coverage and reasonable cost! 🤷‍♀️

• Like 13

I've never seen that posted anywhere before either.

One of mine has a firm job offer for when she graduates. She elected to share the benefits as they sent her a document listing them, but even though she has a confirmed job with a confirmed salary, the info about the cost of the insurance is not listed.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hshibley said:

Probably because there’s nothing to consider until they make an offer 

This. And this is info you really don't want your competition to know, IMHO.

A job offer is more than just the benefits. There is the salary, the working conditions, the company culture, the working hours, the job responsibilities themselves, etc, etc.  The benefits are only part of the package. 

But it's way too early, I think, to consider benefits since he only has an interview. If they offer him the job, they will tell him those details, and he and his wife (I think he is married?) can discuss and make the proper decision for their family. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Bambam said:

This. And this is info you really don't want your competition to know, IMHO.

A job offer is more than just the benefits. There is the salary, the working conditions, the company culture, the working hours, the job responsibilities themselves, etc, etc.  The benefits are only part of the package. 

But it's way too early, I think, to consider benefits since he only has an interview. If they offer him the job, they will tell him those details, and he and his wife (I think he is married?) can discuss and make the proper decision for their family. 

No he is not married. This is the youngest who still lives at home. 

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Yes I see that but why not? 

There are way too many variables on health insurance and the employment package. Companies use the benefits to negotiate with the employee. It's not a one size fits all type of thing. There are family rates, single rates, etc. My husband has to have a physical each year as part of his health insurance for work. They also change insurance companies every few years too, it seems. There would be no way to post that information for someone that is coming in for a first interview. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mom2samlibby said:

There are way too many variables on health insurance and the employment package. Companies use the benefits to negotiate with the employee. It's not a one size fits all type of thing. There are family rates, single rates, etc. My husband has to have a physical each year as part of his health insurance for work. They also change insurance companies every few years too, it seems. There would be no way to post that information for someone that is coming in for a first interview. 

Maybe for upper level jobs but I don’t for a min think benefits for entry  level are that complicated. 

But oh well. I have impressed upon him how important it is to find out what his health insurance is going to cost him. Both in premiums, deductible, cookies, and out-of-pocket max. What is your things that are not easy for a 21-year-old to realize how important they are

Benefit plans are not set in stone.  If someone interviews for a job in October, begins the job in November, and the company's insurance plan changes January 1, the benefits that are in place today my be irrelevant for most of the individual's time being employed.  A company does not want to spend time updating a website with current information regarding benefits for people choosing Plan A, Plan B, married, single, etc. and what the plan WILL BE January 1, etc.  There is no benefit to the company of providing that information to the general public--only downside of confusion, etc.  

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Maybe for upper level jobs but I don’t for a min think benefits for entry  level are that complicated. 

But oh well. I have impressed upon him how important it is to find out what his health insurance is going to cost him. Both in premiums, deductible, cookies, and out-of-pocket max. What is your things that are not easy for a 21-year-old to realize how important they are

I sure hope you haven't instructed him to ask about all of that in the interview. He should ask a generic question about insurance, but not all of that. 

Edited by mom2samlibby
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Benefit plans are not set in stone.  If someone interviews for a job in October, begins the job in November, and the company's insurance plan changes January 1, the benefits that are in place today my be irrelevant for most of the individual's time being employed.  A company does not want to spend time updating a website with current information regarding benefits for people choosing Plan A, Plan B, married, single, etc. and what the plan WILL BE January 1, etc.  There is no benefit to the company of providing that information to the general public--only downside of confusion, etc.  

yes that makes a bit of sense. 

55 minutes ago, mom2samlibby said:

I sure hope you haven't instructed him to ask about all of that in the interview. He should ask a generic question about insurance, but not all of that. 

Right. I just talked to dh about this, so I could respond. Those details aren't typically given until an offer is made. It's proprietary information and something that they don't want competitors to know. My husband conducts interviews and makes hiring decisions. He is mostly telling them about the job and learning about them, so he can determine if they are a good fit for the position. An HR rep is typically in attendance but only gives a salary range and tells them that they will have medical/dental/vision/etc. options but no the details. Those are given in more detail in an offer letter.

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

Right. I just talked to dh about this, so I could respond. Those details aren't typically given until an offer is made. It's proprietary information and something that they don't want competitors to know. My husband conducts interviews and makes hiring decisions. He is mostly telling them about the job and learning about them, so he can determine if they are a good fit for the position. An HR rep is typically in attendance but only gives a salary range and tells them that they will have medical/dental/vision/etc. options but no the details. Those are given in more detail in an offer letter.

It is the same in the large corporate where I work. I have been on the panel or the hiring manager in close to 300 interviews (both internal and external candidates). Interviews are for finding the person with the right technical skills, social skills and experience.

If it comes up, the HR practitioner will tell the interviewee that the company does offer benefits, but that details of salary, benefits, conditions of employment, etc will only be discussed with the preferred candidate when an offer is made. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

No he is not married. This is the youngest who still lives at home. 

I'm obviously confused. I thought your DS was married and living elsewhere but your DSS was living at home. 
It's so hard to keep my own family straight, no wonder I'm having trouble with other people's families too! 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Bambam said:

I'm obviously confused. I thought your DS was married and living elsewhere but your DSS was living at home. 
It's so hard to keep my own family straight, no wonder I'm having trouble with other people's families too! 

The 21 year old, our youngest,  is my ss.  I sometimes slip and forget the Second S. 

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Y’all of course he isn’t going to pound for details if he doesn’t get an offer.  I just don’t want him to take the job then find out the raise is all eaten up with higher insurance premiums.  

He’ll get the details with the offer. Then it can be part of his decision or a negotiating point. 

• Like 2

Letting your kids know, if appropriate, that they don't have to answer immediately if they are offered a job is a great thing. It's better to go home, sit down, think about it, evaluate the offer, get input from others, and make your decision and get back to the company.  This may not be appropriate advice for every job offer, but it has been for our kid's out-of-college-job-offer.  She even negotiated on one relatively minor point. 

ETA: When we were young, some of those benefits were not of that much interest to us. Cost of health insurance, we always picked the cheapest plan because we were young and healthy. We did care about vacation and 401K but not so much the other stuff.  We've learned as we went along. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I realize there are often different plans offered but I still don’t know why it isn’t made public.  It is an important consideration. 

Because it isn’t public information. These are questions that are asked & answered when a job offer is extended. Before that, it doesn’t really matter. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bambam said:

I've never seen that posted anywhere before either.

One of mine has a firm job offer for when she graduates. She elected to share the benefits as they sent her a document listing them, but even though she has a confirmed job with a confirmed salary, the info about the cost of the insurance is not listed.  

When is she graduating? The cost changes annually, so that may not be part of the document. If she calls HR and asks, they will be able to tell her once their open enrollment period has begun for the time period she will start working. Before that, it isn’t available to all employees. 

Just now, TechWife said:

When is she graduating? The cost changes annually, so that may not be part of the document. If she calls HR and asks, they will be able to tell her once their open enrollment period has begun for the time period she will start working. Before that, it isn’t available to all employees. 

She will start Spring 2024 sometime - probably January. She really doesn't care about the costs, this is a major company with excellent benefits (she saw some of that when she was interning).  And worst case scenario, we can cover her on our insurance for 4 more years. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bambam said:

She will start Spring 2024 sometime - probably January. She really doesn't care about the costs, this is a major company with excellent benefits (she saw some of that when she was interning).  And worst case scenario, we can cover her on our insurance for 4 more years. 

Congrats to your daughter!
The cost information won’t be available until open enrollment for 2024. Typically open enrollment is in Oct or Nov of the prior heat. So, for your daughter, the info would be available in Oct or Nov of 2023. They may even change insurance carriers before then, so any info they give her now would be outdated. 

• Like 2