Menu

Recommendation - kitchen canisters

sheryl

When dh and I lived in WI years ago I bought an adorable 4 pc glass canister set.  You guessed it.  3 of the 4 have broken over the years.

Anyway, my sister said she ordered canisters today and now I'm thinking I'll do the same.  I had the original set on the counter and it took up too much space.  So, I'll put in cabinet.  I'll measure height first.  

Interested in all glass or all stainless.  Glass you can easily see through.  But, it's out of sight in the cabinet.  Don't want the ss/glass window.

Looking for wide mouth for flour and sugar.  I'd like one for coffee but it isn't necessary.  

Flour bag, 5 pounds, needs 1 1/2 gallon I guess.  Smaller for sugar.  

What do you recommend with my interests above?   Airtight is a must.  Wide mouth for shovel.  What are those called?  LOL!   Twist might be a hassle.  Would rather not use metal clasp/ring lid.  So, just a push on/pull off?  Will that be airtight enough?  A knob on top?  I don't think so.  

Round or square canister.  

If you have a great one please send the link.  THANKS!

I have a large assortment of Italian-made Fido glass airtight storage jars.

I suspect many of these are older than some you you all. LOL

They do take rubber gaskets and have canning-style latches. After many years the rubber gaskets do get brittle and are easily replaced.

I'm afraid to look at current pricing. I acquired most of mine in the pre-internet era when Cost-Plus (or similar) ran their sales.

The brand on some of the older Fido jar is Fidenza and newer ones are Bormioli Rocco. I believe they are the same brand (but I could be wrong).

We also have some similar Le Parfait jars, which I believe are French? 

These will outlast me.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I have a large assortment of Italian-made Fido glass airtight storage jars.

I suspect many of these are older than some you you all. LOL

They do take rubber gaskets and have canning-style latches. After many years the rubber gaskets do get brittle and are easily replaced.

I'm afraid to look at current pricing. I acquired most of mine in the pre-internet era when Cost-Plus (or similar) ran their sales.

The brand on some of the older Fido jar is Fidenza and newer ones are Bormioli Rocco. I believe they are the same brand (but I could be wrong).

We also have some similar Le Parfait jars, which I believe are French? 

These will outlast me.

Bill

Yes, I had the glass lid, rubber gasket and metal spring on my set.   They worked well for years.  But, the gasket does wear out.  I'd rather now not have to hand wash all of different pieces.  I like the look of my latched-closure set but I only have one remaining.  Will continue my search.  Thanks!  

10 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’m SUPER fancy. I use pet food containers. It’s definitely a function over form situation and they’re stored in the pantry. 

C6B23C0E-FF6F-4A92-BB6B-24F2D6603EB1.jpeg

E4C16A4B-E752-4887-B749-0BBE5AC3BBD9.jpeg

LOL!  LOL!  LOL!  That is creative.  I would do that too maybe but I'm iso of glass or st st.  only.  

41 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Yes, I had the glass lid, rubber gasket and metal spring on my set.   They worked well for years.  But, the gasket does wear out.  I'd rather now not have to hand wash all of different pieces.  I like the look of my latched-closure set but I only have one remaining.  Will continue my search.  Thanks!  

While the gaskets eventually do get brittle, they are all the same size and one can get replacements inexpensively. Having the gaskets and the locks is what makes these air-tight (which is a boon).

Bill

• Like 3

I just use 1/2 gallon wide mouth Ball jars with plastic screw-on lids (although you can buy lots of different lids for them, including nice wooden ones). I also have a bunch of Weck jars in different sizes, with glass lids and metal clamps, but I think the largest ones are 1.5 liters, which is a bit smaller than a half-gallon, plus they're $20 each and I have at least two dozen 1/2 gallon Ball jars for storing various grains, flours, beans, pasta, etc.

IMG_7508.JPG

• Like 11

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FL9ND4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

this is what I have.

it fits 5 lb of flour( I do have to put the lid on  and bang it on the counter to settle the flour to get that last bit in there) the next size down does a 4 lb of sugar; next size down does the larger plastic bag of brown sugar anc the smallest holds a container of cocoa powder.

they seal very well. I tend to get ants in the spring and they’ve never gotten into my staples.

• Thanks 1

I have old Tupperware big round canisters.  A big one, and two smaller ones.  The smaller ones will each hold more than 5lbs of sugar. (the taller one is the same height as both shorter ones.)  They are in a cabinet with a pull-out tray.  I inherited them from my mother and grandmother.  I want enough diameter for when I'm measuring dry goods. (I don't like the narrow rectangular stuff, though I have several in another cupboard for smaller stuff, like cocoa powder and powdered sugar.)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Clarita said:

I've been using the oxo pop plastic ones, but they do sell stainless steel too. I like the lid because the parts that get dirty are easy to take a part and clean.

I really like everything about my oxo pop tops: gasket seal, easy close& open, easy to clean, good shape for stacking and otherwise arranging in cabinets. I’d take a picture of my cabinet, but I’m not at home & won’t be for several days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sheryl said:

LOL!  LOL!  LOL!  That is creative.  I would do that too maybe but I'm iso of glass or st st.  only.  

But but but it holds ten plounds of flour with room to spare, is big enough to scoop with a one cup measuring cup, AND the little lip under the hinge is perfect for leveling the scoop. 😬

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I just use 1/2 gallon wide mouth Ball jars with plastic screw-on lids (although you can buy lots of different lids for them, including nice wooden ones). I also have a bunch of Weck jars in different sizes, with glass lids and metal clamps, but I think the largest ones are 1.5 liters, which is a bit smaller than a half-gallon, plus they're $20 each and I have at least two dozen 1/2 gallon Ball jars for storing various grains, flours, beans, pasta, etc.

IMG_7508.JPG

I love this 

• Like 2

On 10/14/2022 at 8:55 PM, Corraleno said:

IMG_7508.JPG

Right! Looks nice! I do need a 1 1/2 G for flour and whatever then size would be for a 4-5 lb bag of sugar.  Do you grind your berries into flour?

On 10/14/2022 at 9:00 PM, fairfarmhand said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FL9ND4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

this is what I have.

it fits 5 lb of flour( I do have to put the lid on  and bang it on the counter to settle the flour to get that last bit in there) the next size down does a 4 lb of sugar; next size down does the larger plastic bag of brown sugar anc the smallest holds a container of cocoa powder.

they seal very well. I tend to get ants in the spring and they’ve never gotten into my staples.

Yes, fairfarmhand, this set is on my short list but became uncertain after reading reviews.  Thanks much for sharing.   Great to know 5 lb flour will fit.  Cocoa - excellent idea!  The set that I had was 4 pc - flour, sugar, coffee, tea.  All but the tea canister has been broken over the years.  I'm seriously considering this set now you recommend.  QUESTION - are you glad you got the metal and not a transparent set?  I'm assuming you keep these on counter?  

On 10/14/2022 at 9:48 PM, gardenmom5 said:

I have old Tupperware big round canisters.  A big one, and two smaller ones.  The smaller ones will each hold more than 5lbs of sugar. (the taller one is the same height as both shorter ones.)  They are in a cabinet with a pull-out tray.  I inherited them from my mother and grandmother.  I want enough diameter for when I'm measuring dry goods. (I don't like the narrow rectangular stuff, though I have several in another cupboard for smaller stuff, like cocoa powder and powdered sugar.)

Yes!  I used to sell Tupperware LOL!  Decades ago.  Thanks for sharing.   I do want stainless steel or glass though.  Just haven't decided which.   

12 hours ago, TechWife said:

I really like everything about my oxo pop tops: gasket seal, easy close& open, easy to clean, good shape for stacking and otherwise arranging in cabinets. I’d take a picture of my cabinet, but I’m not at home & won’t be for several days. 

I have several OXO products and like them but for a canister set I'm looking for all glass or st. st.  Wait, I have glass OXO bakers I think.  Are these glass or plastic?  

12 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

But but but it holds ten plounds of flour with room to spare, is big enough to scoop with a one cup measuring cup, AND the little lip under the hinge is perfect for leveling the scoop. 😬

LOL! YES!  That is a concern I have to not have room to "move" and scoop in canister without it spilling all over the place.   

6 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Yes, fairfarmhand, this set is on my short list but became uncertain after reading reviews.  Thanks much for sharing.   Great to know 5 lb flour will fit.  Cocoa - excellent idea!  The set that I had was 4 pc - flour, sugar, coffee, tea.  All but the tea canister has been broken over the years.  I'm seriously considering this set now you recommend.  QUESTION - are you glad you got the metal and not a transparent set?  I'm assuming you keep these on counter?  

Yes, I prefer the metal. Because they’re different sizes I have no problem remembering what’s what. I kept them on the counter for years and they are gorgeous. Currently they’re stashed in a cupboard in my effort to keep my counters clear. ( the kids want them back out on the counter though!)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Yes, I prefer the metal. Because they’re different sizes I have no problem remembering what’s what. I kept them on the counter for years and they are gorgeous. Currently they’re stashed in a cupboard in my effort to keep my counters clear. ( the kids want them back out on the counter though!)

OK, thanks for that!  I had my canister set on counter for years but in my attempt to also declutter and have it look more organized I'm thinking cupboard as well.  Much appreciated!  

48 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Yes!  I used to sell Tupperware LOL!  Decades ago.  Thanks for sharing.   I do want stainless steel or glass though.  Just haven't decided which.   

These are 1960s vintage Tupperware. and they are big.  With the "Tupper Seal" mark . . 

Have you look at Container store?

• Like 1

I know you want glass, but since others have recommended OXO plastic stuff…

I love my Rubbermaid Brilliance containers. They do have some made from glass, but I use the plastic for my pantry. I researched and ultimately chose Rubbermaid Brilliance because it’s made in the U.S. 

OXO products are not made in the U.S. 

link to an example of the Rubbermaid glass containers made in the U.S.:

https://www.target.com/p/rubbermaid-10pc-brilliance-glass-food-storage-set/-/A-79652780

Edited by popmom
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2022 at 8:55 PM, Corraleno said:

IMG_7508.JPG

What are you using to label these?  Both the label and the marker please!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sheryl said:

Right! Looks nice! I do need a 1 1/2 G for flour and whatever then size would be for a 4-5 lb bag of sugar.  Do you grind your berries into flour?

You don't need a 1.5 gallon container for a 5 lb bag of flour. The half-gallon Ball jars hold more than half a bag, and a 1 gallon Ball jar holds a 5 lb bag with room to spare. Here's a photo of a 5 lb bag next to the half-gallon jars, with an empty 1 gallon next to it for scale.

I originally used the 1 gallon jars for flour and sugar, but I found them to be too unwieldy to get in and out of upper cabinets, and it was hard to get the last bits out of the bottom of the jar (they're sort of clunky to try to hold and tip out the remainder). Plus I started buying most of my grains and legumes in bulk so I just switched to the half-gallon jars for everything.

IMG_7511.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, popmom said:

I know you want glass, but since others have recommended OXO plastic stuff…

I love my Rubbermaid Brilliance containers. They do have some made from glass, but I use the plastic for my pantry. I researched and ultimately chose Rubbermaid Brilliance because it’s made in the U.S. 

OXO products are not made in the U.S. 

link to an example of the Rubbermaid glass containers made in the U.S.:

https://www.target.com/p/rubbermaid-10pc-brilliance-glass-food-storage-set/-/A-79652780

Yes, that is a good idea b/c it would be stored easily in cabinets.   I have something similar that I bought for bakers.  These can go right in to the freezer and I can bake with them (lid can not go in over but goes in to freezer).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Annie G said:

Yes, I know.   Plastic is lighter but I still prefer glass.  Appreciate it!

36 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

You don't need a 1.5 gallon container for a 5 lb bag of flour. The half-gallon Ball jars hold more than half a bag, and a 1 gallon Ball jar holds a 5 lb bag with room to spare. Here's a photo of a 5 lb bag next to the half-gallon jars, with an empty 1 gallon next to it for scale.

I originally used the 1 gallon jars for flour and sugar, but I found them to be too unwieldy to get in and out of upper cabinets, and it was hard to get the last bits out of the bottom of the jar (they're sort of clunky to try to hold and tip out the remainder). Plus I started buying most of my grains and legumes in bulk so I just switched to the half-gallon jars for everything.

IMG_7511.JPG

OK, Corraleno, this pic is very helpful.  If I'm understanding correctly - the "filled" jars are 1/2 G.  Your flour is a 5 lb bag.  The empty ball jar is 1 G.    Is this right???   I will be "probably" store these in the cabinets!   It does make more sense to store 1/2 bag in to 1/2 G jar but I'd rather have the entire bag fill the jar.  I guess that means going up to 1 G.  When we move I may keep in cabinets or rotate on counter.  Haven't fully decided yet.  Thanks!

Just now, sheryl said:

OK, Corraleno, this pic is very helpful.  If I'm understanding correctly - the "filled" jars are 1/2 G.  Your flour is a 5 lb bag.  The empty ball jar is 1 G.    Is this right??? 

Yes, that's correct.

Just now, sheryl said:

It does make more sense to store 1/2 bag in to 1/2 G jar but I'd rather have the entire bag fill the jar.  I guess that means going up to 1 G.  When we move I may keep in cabinets or rotate on counter.  Haven't fully decided yet.  Thanks!

You could also split a 5 lb bag between 2 half-gallon jars, and just keep the second jar in the pantry or back of the cabinet until it's needed. That way you'd have a smaller, lighter container to be lifting in and out of cabinets or taking up less space on your counter. 

One thing I really love about these jars is that the lids fit all wide mouth jars of any size. I have lots of jars in other sizes (32 oz, 24 oz, 16 oz, 8 oz) that I use for storing nuts and seeds in the fridge, sourdough starter, homemade dressings and sauces, leftover soup, marinated/pickled veggies, etc. and it's nice to just have one size lid that fits everything. The half-gallon jars are also great for large batches of homemade chicken or veggie broth, and I even use them for iced tea and lemonade with a special lid that has a pouring spout and attached handle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Yes, that's correct.

You could also split a 5 lb bag between 2 half-gallon jars, and just keep the second jar in the pantry or back of the cabinet until it's needed. That way you'd have a smaller, lighter container to be lifting in and out of cabinets or taking up less space on your counter. 

One thing I really love about these jars is that the lids fit all wide mouth jars of any size. I have lots of jars in other sizes (32 oz, 24 oz, 16 oz, 8 oz) that I use for storing nuts and seeds in the fridge, sourdough starter, homemade dressings and sauces, leftover soup, marinated/pickled veggies, etc. and it's nice to just have one size lid that fits everything. The half-gallon jars are also great for large batches of homemade chicken or veggie broth, and I even use them for iced tea and lemonade with a special lid that has a pouring spout and attached handle.

Hmm.  That's a creative idea.  Two 1/2 G jars and keep one in back/rotate out.  That might work.  I am thinking about the "handling" of a 1 G container that is glass.  What is material of lids?  Plastic, metal?  No gasket?

3 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Hmm.  That's a creative idea.  Two 1/2 G jars and keep one in back/rotate out.  That might work.  I am thinking about the "handling" of a 1 G container that is glass.  What is material of lids?  Plastic, metal?  No gasket?

The lid on the 1 gallon is metal with a flexible plastic gasket on the inside, it just pulls off and pushes back on. It doesn't seal as well as the screw-on lids, but it would probably keep bugs out. But the jar and lid weigh ~3.5 lbs empty, and when you add 5 lbs of flour that's a big clunky thing to be getting in and out of an upper cabinet. It's easier to just leave it on the counter, but it does take up a lot of space, and I just found the half-gallons so much easier to deal with and more flexible in terms of having lots of other uses.

IMG_7516.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

The lid on the 1 gallon is metal with a flexible plastic gasket on the inside, it just pulls off and pushes back on. It doesn't seal as well as the screw-on lids, but it would probably keep bugs out. But the jar and lid weigh ~3.5 lbs empty, and when you add 5 lbs of flour that's a big clunky thing to be getting in and out of an upper cabinet. It's easier to just leave it on the counter, but it does take up a lot of space, and I just found the half-gallons so much easier to deal with and more flexible in terms of having lots of other uses.

IMG_7516.JPG

Well, Corraleno, I have to tell you I fully appreciate your insight.  It makes sense.  I was just going over that thinking weight of glass AND the flour.  That is going to be hefty to pull from cabinet.    The screw on/threaded lids are good?  They do not warp?

33 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Well, Corraleno, I have to tell you I fully appreciate your insight.  It makes sense.  I was just going over that thinking weight of glass AND the flour.  That is going to be hefty to pull from cabinet.    The screw on/threaded lids are good?  They do not warp?

I have these white lids, which I use for dry storage and these Ball-brand gray lids that I use for wet storage. (Note: Do NOT buy the Ball lids from Amazon, they are much cheaper at Target and Walmart). I originally bought the Ball brand lids because some of the reviewers said the white lids leaked, but I suspect they hadn't screwed the lids on very tight because I've never had a problem with them leaking even when I used them for liquids. Both lids are BPA free, freezer safe, dishwasher safe, and one of the Amazon reviewers sterilized the white lids in an autoclave and said they came out fine with no warping.

There are so many different kinds of lids for these jars, including screened sprouting lids, fermenting kits, pump dispenser lidscold brew filter set, plastic lids with a straw hole, silicone inserts with a straw hole for use with the metal bandsheavy-duty flip-top pouring lids with handle, and lots more. They're just super versatile.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Ditto said:

@Corraleno  I have a question about the cold brew that you linked.  Is there a specific type of coffee required or can I just use my favorite ground coffee in it?  I buy the coffee already ground so it is just plain old regular ground.

A coarse grind is supposed to be better for cold brew, but I've read that you can use a medium grind and just reduce the steeping time. I experimented with cold brew a couple of years ago, but I don't really drink enough coffee to be worth buying a whole bag of beans at a time. I mostly drink tea and just occasionally drink iced coffee or frappuccinos in the summer, which I make with vanilla soy milk and Torani flavored syrups, so I usually just use instant or bottled cold brew concentrate because any nuances of flavor in the coffee are totally drowned out by all the milk and syrups (basically it's like drinking melted coffee ice cream, lol).

Here are a couple of older threads on cold brewing coffee:
https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/545433-if-you-cold-press-coffee/
https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/323531-cold-brew-in-a-jar-or-french-press/

I thought there was a more recent one, but it's not coming up when I search. You could start a new thread and page SpyCar, I remember that he had some good advice back when I was interested in trying it.

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2022 at 7:55 PM, Corraleno said:

IMG_7508.JPG

Where do you get these?

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Where do you get these?

I've found the jars and plastic lids at Target, Walmart, and Kroger, which usually carry a large selection of canning jars and equipment this time of year. 

ETA: I generally get the specialty lids (sprouting lids, fermenting kit, pouring lid with handle, etc.) from Amazon.

Edited by Corraleno

Walmart has a case of 6 half-gallon jars for $13.97: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Wide-Mouth-64oz-Half-Gallong-Mason-Jars-with-Lids-Bands-6-Count/16661826

Pack of 8 white plastic lids for $2.98: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Pack-of-8-BPA-Free-Plastic-Wide-Mouth-Canning-Mason-Jar-Lids-White/21312095?athbdg=L1600

So that works out to like $2.72 for a 64 oz lidded glass jar. Add cute labels, and that's pretty much the cheapest and most practical "cannister set" you can get.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Walmart has a case of 6 half-gallon jars for $13.97: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Wide-Mouth-64oz-Half-Gallong-Mason-Jars-with-Lids-Bands-6-Count/16661826

So that works out to like $2.72 for a 64 oz lidded glass jar. Add cute labels, and that's pretty much the cheapest and most practical "cannister set" you can get.

I was ready to add these to my Walmart list this week but the link says they’re $45. Are they cheaper in the store?

5 minutes ago, Annie G said:

I was ready to add these to my Walmart list this week but the link says they’re $45. Are they cheaper in the store?

Wow, I don't why they're showing up as so expensive for you! When I put them in my cart I can choose to either pick them up in store, where they are in stock, or have them shipped, and I get the same price of $13.97.

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 8.28.34 PM.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Weird! It’s the same $45 for me whether it’s picked up or shipped!

Do you get crazy prices for the other sizes, too? I get $13.97 for a case of 12 of the quart size jars, which are not available for pick up (currently out of stock at all the Walmarts near me) but are available for shipping for that price.

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 8.36.40 PM.png

2 minutes ago, Annie G said:

$13.97 for the regular quart, available at my local store for pickup tomorrow. But wide mouth quart is only online and they’re $29.30.

Oh I didn't realize I posted the regular quart jars, the wide mouth ones are $14.97 for 12 on WalMart, and for me they show as available for shipping but not pickup. The wide mouth quart size are listed on the Target website for 13.99 for 12, but currently out of stock. I know Target and WalMart carry Ball jars year round, but they usually have a wider selection and more stock this time of year. I guess they're currently out of stock because lots of people bought them for canning, but they should eventually come back in stock.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Ohhhh, it looks like the price you're getting is from another seller, Grocer Depot, that is selling through WalMart, kind of like Marketplace sellers on Amazon. Maybe check around and see if any of the Walmarts or Targets near you have them in stock.

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 8.46.14 PM.png

Thanks for pointing that out!   Our grandkids have been here this week and I’m pretty tired from doing All The Things. I realize now that I didn’t sign in, just hit the Walmart link. Sheesh.

In July I looked for half gallon jars locally but couldn’t find any since it was prime canning season here.  Maybe I can find some now.