Menu

Blah. Blood sugar again.

Kanin

I wrote about my slightly off blood sugars a while back. I actually have a doctor's appointment set up, but it's pretty far away still.

I've always had what I think of as blood sugar crashes. All the traditional symptoms like getting shaky, sweaty, etc. I just eat a bunch of high-carb food and it goes away after a while. It doesn't happen too much these days because I make sure to eat often enough, and I never eat high-carb food without also having protein and fat in the meal or snack. 

A few years back I learned that I could just buy a cheap blood sugar meter, so I did. I tested a bit here and there and nothing was very far off. I was able to catch some "lows" when I felt shaky. I never really found any highs greater than 140.

Since then, every year or so I get a bee in my bonnet and think, "This just isn't right!" and buy another meter (because I've lost the old one), and test. About a year ago, my fasting sugars were in the 70s, 80s, sometimes low 90s. I just started testing again, and for the past week they've been 100-115, never lower. 

I don't see super high numbers after eating. Maybe 140-150, for a short time, but it goes down to around 100 within an hour or so. The other day I experimented with eating candy with nothing else. After 40 minutes, my sugar was 224. Ugh! However, it plunged downwards. 

I'm not sure what to think. Is this possibly a slow developing form of diabetes that will affect me more in a few years? Type 1.5 or something?  Maybe I'm overthinking. 

I'm not overweight, but I don't really exercise except for going for walks. Maybe that could help. 

This would be a really bad time to get diagnosed with diabetes. My cousin recently passed away from type 1 complications in his 30s. 😞 My mom in particular would freak out. 

• Sad 1

If your fasting blood sugars are in the 100 - 115 range, you might be becoming pre-diabetic aka insulin resistant.  Blood sugar spikes that resolve within one hour are normal according to my doctor (but there might be other doctors or studies that contradict him, I have no idea).  Have you ever tested during a hypoglycemic episode?  In some ways, hypoglycemia can do more damage to  your brain than higher blood sugars (though you can get dementia from uncontrolled high blood sugars). 

• Like 2

If it ever goes over 200, you are diabetic. I’m sorry. 

I’d recommend Dr Fung’s books on diabetes and fasting, and don’t eat straight carbs again. If you really want to nip it, diary everything you eat and avoid things that raise your glucose over 20-25 points.  

• Like 1

I would have your doctor test your A1C which is your average blood sugar over 3 months. It also sounds like pre-diabetes to me. I  am not over weight and have it. There is a genetic component. It’s not necessarily connected to weight or diet. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Have you ever tested during a hypoglycemic episode?

Yes. The lowest I got was 54 and I felt horrible. Never again! I did wonder what would have happened to me if I was at 54 when I was lost in the wilderness or something. Now I carry food everywhere.

Now when I feel "bad," it's more like 75. That doesn't qualify as hypoglycemic, right?

24 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

PS - diabetes 1.5 is really an adult onset type one diabetes and is insulin dependent. 

I know... I'm just thinking maybe I'll be there in 10 years or something. Hope not though.

1 minute ago, Kanin said:

Yes. The lowest I got was 54 and I felt horrible. Never again! I did wonder what would have happened to me if I was at 54 when I was lost in the wilderness or something. Now I carry food everywhere.

Now when I feel "bad," it's more like 75. That doesn't qualify as hypoglycemic, right?

"Normal" people usually won't have hypoglycemic symptoms unless their sugars are under 70.  But if you are becoming insulin resistant then your regular blood sugars might be higher and your body gets higher than that.  A diabetic can have all the symptoms of hypoglycemia at much higher than that if their body isn't used to it.  (My a1c is much much lower than it was - ie in a non-diabetic range now- but I had to retrain my body to not react to the lower numbers.  It wasn't fun.)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Katy said:

If it ever goes over 200, you are diabetic. I’m sorry. 

I’d recommend Dr Fung’s books on diabetes and fasting, and don’t eat straight carbs again. If you really want to nip it, diary everything you eat and avoid things that raise your glucose over 20-25 points.  

I will read the book, thank you! I do need to do the diary. I'm really bad about that.

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

My a1c is much much lower than it was - ie in a non-diabetic range now- but I had to retrain my body to not react to the lower numbers.  It wasn't fun.

That doesn't sound fun at all! 

1 hour ago, Kanin said:

I'm not overweight, but I don't really exercise except for going for walks. Maybe that could help. 

It can! Agreeing with the others here.

I also find that eating low-carb veggies before eating carbs helps--salad, celery, etc. 

I found when the "shaky, sweaty, stuck a finger in a lightsocket, etc." happens - the WORST thing I can do is eat sugar/carbs.  (sure I feel better for a little while - but over all my health just gets worse.)

I need protein (not cheese, not peanut butter - plus it's inflammatory)

Electrolytes (I use Nuun tablets, and add 3 - 4 capsules of potassium)

minerals

I also found an adrenal sup/cocktail to be very helpful.   

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

A diabetic can have all the symptoms of hypoglycemia at much higher than that if their body isn't used to it. 

I really wish I had known that years and years ago. I think I could've lost weight knowing what I know now, but instead, I was literally hungry all day every day (long before my fasting crept up--my fasting was always at the high end of normal or in that range between normal and pre-diabetic even when I was thin and exercised a lot). 

It's freeing to be able to control the blood sugar well enough to not feel hungry all the time. I sometimes have an off day or cheat, and the cheat days aren't usually worth it. The off days are rare, seem to be hormonal, and don't seem to change my A1C, so they are what they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

You would be more likely to go from being insulin resistant to then being type 2 diabetic, which over time can become insulin dependent.  Type 1.5 (which my dh has ) is autoimmune. 

Interesting. I have wondered about autoimmune for a while now. I've had wrist, finger, toe joint pain for about a decide but no testing has ever showed anything strange. A doctor told me that if there's "something" going on, eventually it will get worse and show up on a test. It wasn't the most helpful guidance.

34 minutes ago, Kanin said:

I know... I'm just thinking maybe I'll be there in 10 years or something. Hope not though.

I'm no expert, but I believe one of the hallmarks of Type 1.5 (autoimmune) is that it happens very quickly, unlike the usually slower progression of Type 2.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@KaninI don't know anything about blood sugar but would you mind sharing what glucose monitor you bought?  I suspect I have blood sugar issues and don't know what to get.  

My friend's DH was recently diagnosed with Type 1.5.  He had no symptoms and his blood sugar was super high.  It's pretty scary.  He already ate very healthy and exercised so there wasn't much to modify other than going on insulin.  It's a lot more complicated to control than I expected.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

PS - diabetes 1.5 is really an adult onset type one diabetes and is insulin dependent. 

Maybe not always. My doc says the difference between type 1.5 and 2 in adult onset is that 1.5 is autoimmune and type 2 is most often lifestyle related. Testing for antibodies shows the difference. 

I am definitely 1.5 and am not (yet?!) insulin dependent. I do have genetic predisposition, but the onset was triggered by a viral infection. I have eaten low carb for decades, get moderate exercise, and was never overweight. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Kassia said:

@KaninI don't know anything about blood sugar but would you mind sharing what glucose monitor you bought?  I suspect I have blood sugar issues and don't know what to get.  

My friend's DH was recently diagnosed with Type 1.5.  He had no symptoms and his blood sugar was super high.  It's pretty scary.  He already ate very healthy and exercised so there wasn't much to modify other than going on insulin.  It's a lot more complicated to control than I expected.  

Wow. That is scary.

For the meter, I just went to Walmart and there were a bunch of choices. I got the cheapest one (ReliOn) for $10. I had to buy the finger stick thingy and strips separately. The whole kit was about $30. Perhaps the pricier ones are more accurate, I don't know. 

• Thanks 1

One of my daughters had a concerning glucose result on a blood test, so on doctor's advice I bought a test kit.

I'm keeping a very detailed diary of her food, activity/exercise, and glucose readings. We're about 3 weeks into the process and it has been interesting.

We're using Accu-Chek. The doctor said to buy any brand that a chemist sells. I have no idea if regulations (and therefore quality and accuracy) are different here, but the readings are lining up with previous blood test results. It all cost a lot more than yours @Kanin - approx $100 (AU$), but I have no idea if this is really relevant.

My daughter's issue is with low readings, and we're experimenting with some different foods at particular times of day. There seems to be an element of reactive hypoglycaemia.

My father has late-onset Type 1 diabetes. It followed a nasty flu when he was 75. Doctors say the flu triggered an immune response that destroyed his pancreas. This seems to be unrelated to my daughter's current issues, but I'll be keeping a close eye, because I know my Dad was always a 'need to eat NOW' person, so maybe that is a hint at a predisposition to insulin-dependent diabetes. 

@Kanin Maybe it would help if you get a better test kit and keep a detailed diary. Then, with all that data, head to the doctor for an expert opinion. I hope you find some answers 🌻

17 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

@Kanin Maybe it would help if you get a better test kit and keep a detailed diary. Then, with all that data, head to the doctor for an expert opinion. I hope you find some answers 🌻

Thank you, I plan on doing that. I hope you can learn something helpful about your daughter's numbers!