Menu

campers....deal breakers or not??

ProudGrandma

We are in the market to trade our bunk house trailer in for something just for my husband and I.  

We found one that pretty much has everything we want...size, weight, year, price, living space...power stuff...even solar panels to keep the battery charged...most everything....except 3 things.  We are trying to decide if these 3 things are deal breakers or not. Would they be for you?

1) Bedroom:  what we want is a bedroom with a little bit of space around the bed so you don't feel like you are getting dressed in a shoebox, plus side closets that are built either in such a way that there is a side table that goes under the closet (the closet being higher) or even a little cubby cut out of the side of the closet, instead of only having a place to set your "stuff" in front of the closet doors.  Hopefully that made sense. 

So the camper we are looking at the bedroom seems really tight and no side tables. 

2) Kitchen: I really want decent storage including a pantry from floor to ceiling and some drawers for utensils etc. And since I am short, it would be great if I didn't have to stand on a step to reach the microwave or the cabinets. 

This camper has very limited kitchen storage.  The only 2 drawers  are deep and narrow...not a great option for utensils etc.  The only 2 usable cabinets are above the sink and a pantry where the door is floor to ceiling, but when you open the door, it's only 1/2 usable because the bottom half is filled in to make room for an outside kitchen. There is goofy storage space under the sink, but not very usable.  And that's it, unless you count the storage under the booth seating.  Everything is high....the microwave and the cabinets above the sink and the top shelf of the pantry.

3) Outside basement storage:  we want something spacious enough to hold a fair amount of "stuff" with easy access. 

This camper only has one outside door (there is not a door on both sides) so the only way to get stuff that has been pushed to the other side is to go inside and lift up our bed. It's not the biggest space nor is it the smallest...but our bunk house had more storage in the kitchen and in the basement than this one does. 

SO...would any of these be deal breakers for you, if everything else was really pretty good?  If not....how might you creatively make these 3 situations work effectively for you? (especially #2 and 3). 

We don't need to buy now....we won't be able to camp until the spring anyway...but if this is "as good as it gets"....we don't want to let this one go either. 

Thank you for your help!

positives:  both chairs and a couch, a fireplace, a huge bathroom, solar, sky light, spacious living space with a big back window, power everything (jacks, awning), just ok countertop space (seen more and less), big linen closet, fiberglass outer (instead of aluminum), the good, steady steps going into the camper.  

we have looked at A LOT of campers (on line) as we are about 2-3 hours away from any camper place of any size.  (the place where the camper that we are considering is 2 1/2 hours away)....so making multiple trips to these places to look is also a deal...how many days can we spend doing that?? 

I am trying to decide if the storage is as big of a deal as I am making it since we are going from camping with 5 of us...down to just my husband and I.  My daughter got married last Christmas and the 2 boys are in college and their camping days with us are either done...or coming to a close soon because of summer jobs and other such things.  

This is a HUGE purchase for us (even with a trade in) and we just don't want to think we will be ok with certain sacrifices and then later regret it. 

Keep in mind, I'm not a camper but I have quite a few friends who are and have spent enough time in them to say, personally the limited storage in the kitchen would bug me more than anything else.  Just because cooking can already be a chore with the limited space but then not being able to actually get to/reach anything would make it just miserable. 

With just DH and you, I wouldn't be bothered about less space for changing in the bedroom because I would be just as content to go to another area to do that (since you aren't having to consider kids being in those other spaces).  

Is the layout such that you could add/rehab for more storage?  If so I would consider that if not, I'd probably keep looking.

4 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Ours has limited storage in the kitchen and I hate it.  Especially since we camp through October in upstate New York, so it’s chilly.

That alone would be a deal breaker for me.

camping later into the fall and earlier in the spring is something we hope to do more of....so this is good to know.  My gut says I will hate not having more storage but I was thinking maybe I was acting spoiled or something.  The fall and spring camping is another reason why we wanted a fireplace and a nicer, more spacious living space.  But, it's only the end of September....and we won't be able to go camping until spring...so we have so much time. 

6 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

camping later into the fall and earlier in the spring is something we hope to do more of....so this is good to know.  My gut says I will hate not having more storage but I was thinking maybe I was acting spoiled or something.  The fall and spring camping is another reason why we wanted a fireplace and a nicer, more spacious living space.  But, it's only the end of September....and we won't be able to go camping until spring...so we have so much time. 

Not having storage means that we have more stuff on the counters, can’t bring as much food, it’s harder to cook because the counters are full and you wind up using the table as a counter. In summer it’s not bad because everyone is outside, but when it’s chilly out and we’re gathered inside the camper, and eat in there, it’s more difficult.

1 minute ago, kfeusse said:

right...so I was wondering if there was an "out of the box" solution to those issues....or if it was even worth bothering with. 

No, you can't fix some of that.  Also, for us, gray tank is a big deal.  We need one so we can boondock for a week or so.  70 gallons works for us.  Some of the ones we looked at had 30 or 40 gallons which wouldn't work

I would not do it. And that is saying a lot because my husband and I minimalist camp in a Toyota Sienna van we converted for camping. I have more storage than most people would ever imagine due to the way Mark built the conversion. I would not be able to go with less, and if storage is really important to you, what you have described will give you buyer's remorse. Just keep looking.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, skimomma said:

Am I the only one flabbergasted that RVs ever come with fireplaces?!?!  Lol!  Do they burn real wood?  Or is it propane?

We are on our second, tiny, cheap, and ancient used pop-up, so I can't give any advice.  But now I want a fireplace.  Or even a heater!  

they're probably electric.  possibly propane.  (but temperature would have to be limited for safety.)

I was the same way the first time I saw a RV with a fireplace.  And great big "view windows".

28 minutes ago, skimomma said:

Am I the only one flabbergasted that RVs ever come with fireplaces?!?!  Lol!  Do they burn real wood?  Or is it propane?

We are on our second, tiny, cheap, and ancient used pop-up, so I can't give any advice.  But now I want a fireplace.  Or even a heater!  

the fireplace is just a gas one....and it's not to really heat the camper, but rather just to "take the chill out of the air" on those crisp fall mornings.  It's also just a nice atmosphere thing.  Definitely not a need, but rather a want.  we started with a pop up....outgrew that....moved to a hybrid.....outgrew that...went to a bunkhouse....and now we are changing yet again.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

they're probably electric.  possibly propane.  (but temperature would have to be limited for safety.)

I was the same way the first time I saw a RV with a fireplace.  And great big "view windows".

yeah...I think you are right...gas or electric. 

And big view windows are something we would like too.

23 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

UPDATE:  we have decided to pass on this one...and wait.....I just don't feel good about it......I have all winter to keep looking. 

Thanks for helping me with this...I greatly appreciate it.   

Listen to the gut.   I always regret it when I don't.

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I would not do it. And that is saying a lot because my husband and I minimalist camp in a Toyota Sienna van we converted for camping. I have more storage than most people would ever imagine due to the way Mark built the conversion. I would not be able to go with less, and if storage is really important to you, what you have described will give you buyer's remorse. Just keep looking.

Could you share pictures?  Interested in this for my honda van

Description:

Mark made the frame in three pieces, hinged. This allows him to manhandle it in and out without my help. We removed the bucket seats, and recess the back seats, then the main part of the frame goes in, then the cubbies storage cupboards go in where the buckets seats would be. There is a hinge at the back so the under bed storage units can be pulled out just part way, and then we can access supplies without the headache of removing the containers. They push in deep enough that there is room for the camp stove, camp fuel, and a few other things to ride in front of them, and then removed at camp. I make the bed, and then we throw the cooler and whatever else we need on top for travel. When we don't want to fuss with our tail veil, we are completely self contained by putting the Rtic cooler and the food box of non perishable items in the driver and passenger seats. There are sienna curtain/privacy shades that can be purchased from Amazon to fit. But, I had a set of curtains from the guest room that was no longer being used, so I shortened them to fit the various windows, and Mark made bendable curtain rods from some copper tubing he had on hand, and we use 3M hooks to hold the rods. The curtains come down and store in a drawstring bag I made for traveling. The quilt is from a layer cake of a nautical themed fabric collection. It has a sea foam green flannel on the back. 

We don't take the tail veil when we are going to be gone three days or less, and the weather looks like it is going to be really great. But when we are going for longer, we toss the tail veil on top of the mattress and use it in camp. It is a full tent room that attaches to the van, and is pretty water proof. It has side vent/windows. So we pop the hatch (keep the interior light switch off so we don't run the battery down), and then attach the veil. It attaches over the hatch, and then on the sides. The sides are super easy to disconnect if we want to drive away, and it is then a quick zip up, and it is a stand alone tent. When we go for 1.5 weeks or more and are at a site with electric hook up, we take a camp refrigerator so we don't have to fuss with ice for the Rtic. I will attach a picture of the tail veil. This was when it was not attached to the van. Mark is 6' tall and can stand up fully inside it, but of course he has to duck to go in.

184169039_1655916091270430_6726839317707322175_n (1).jpg

• Like 1

And I can get four pairs of pants, several shirts, jacket/coat, pj's, robe,  swimsuits and towel, and under things plus extra shoes in each cubbie. So we can go a whole week, even more sometimes, without doing laundry.

Our goal is to someday own the hybrid Sienna so we get 36-45mpg instead of the current 23. The only downside is that since about 2019, the Sienna bucket seats have the air bag wiring for the middle seats in the seat itself, so those seats are no longer made to be removable. Now, they can be disconnected by wiring a bypass so that the warning bell does not ding forever and make a person insane. And with some tools, elbow grease, and strong arming, the seats can then be really moved. It is just NOT easy. That is the downside for conversion to van camper. Our hope is that since there has been a bit of a protest to Toyota from the van camping community who has been eagerly waiting for the hybrid Sienna so they can convert it over, that they will change the air bag design and make the seats pop out easily like previous models.

Mark did the whole conversion for about $200 maybe $250 at the most. Not sure what it would cost now since I have not recently priced lumber.

• Like 1

Just now, Ottakee said:

@Faith-manor I love this.  I would just need to add a porta potty and I would be all set

We have a composting portable toilet so we can use that when dispersed camping. If you haven't been up to Lake Michigan Recreation Area at Huron-Manistique National Forest, you should go some time. Dispersed camping is very, very quiet. The campground if you want a site (potable water and fire ring with grill top and a parking pad for your car, flush toilets but no showers) is really nice. The camp hosts have always been friendly in the past. The day use on the dunes is lovely and there are some nice trails. 

47 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

We have a composting portable toilet so we can use that when dispersed camping. If you haven't been up to Lake Michigan Recreation Area at Huron-Manistique National Forest, you should go some time. Dispersed camping is very, very quiet. The campground if you want a site (potable water and fire ring with grill top and a parking pad for your car, flush toilets but no showers) is really nice. The camp hosts have always been friendly in the past. The day use on the dunes is lovely and there are some nice trails. 

Nordhouse Dunes there was my first backpacking experience.  We packed in and then spent the night overlooking the lake.  Never made it to the campground but the dispersed area is beautiful 

• Thanks 1