Menu

What is wrong with my arm?

Terabith

The muscles/ tendons in my left arm have been hurting for.....a long time?  A month?  Two months?  It's very weird.  It feels exactly like the muscles are sore from overuse, and it started after a grocery trip in which I played the "how many bags can I carry in at once" game, so I honestly didn't think anything of it for so long that I'm not sure how long it's been going on.  The pain isn't very bad; it's not preventing me from doing any activities.  But I notice a slight pain on the tendon on my elbow when I bend my arm at all, and the muscles in my forearm hurt when I lift something as light as a book, a beverage, or a cutting board.  The muscles also feel weak or unstable, but I'm not sure they really are.  

I know probably the logical first step is going to GP, but it feels like such a trivial complaint, and also I really, really don't want to go.  My GP left the practice and I've been assigned a random doctor, and the whole business is just a hassle I don't want to deal with in terms of time, expectations, and money.  

Any ideas on what might be causing it or what I can do to ameliorate it?

I had something similar happen with my arm (my very similar symptoms were worse if I was rotating my hand/arm at all), and my chiropractor worked on it. It's doing better so far. 

Maybe see an ortho and ask for PT if you don't need a GP referral to the ortho? 

When I've had stuff like this happen, it doesn't seem to get better on its own, and chiropractic has always helped. I am careful about chiropractors though--I haven't liked all the ones I've tried, and they often want a lot of testing for new patients. It's a bigger pain than seeing a family doc if you don't already have an established relationship with the chiro.

• Like 1

Tendon injuries can last for six months of more. A doctor would likely say RICE plus nsaids, but they might refer you for imaging or physical therapy. I’d probably give it another month unless it gets worse or is accompanied by something weird like a rash.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kbutton said:

I had something similar happen with my arm (my very similar symptoms were worse if I was rotating my hand/arm at all), and my chiropractor worked on it. It's doing better so far. 

Maybe see an ortho and ask for PT if you don't need a GP referral to the ortho? 

When I've had stuff like this happen, it doesn't seem to get better on its own, and chiropractic has always helped. I am careful about chiropractors though--I haven't liked all the ones I've tried, and they often want a lot of testing for new patients. It's a bigger pain than seeing a family doc if you don't already have an established relationship with the chiro.

I have a chiropractor I like, and I was going to go see him in the next week or so because he's my supplier of the vitamin D+K and I'm almost out.  That's a good idea.  I know what you mean about chiropractors.  I have been to some that were scary, a bunch that were quacks, and there was one in Colorado who I swear had a supernatural gift for healing one step removed from Jesus.  Current guy is competent and works well.  I have nightmares about him retiring, because he has to be over 70.  

3 minutes ago, Katy said:

Tendon injuries can last for six months of more. A doctor would likely say RICE plus nsaids, but they might refer you for imaging or physical therapy. I’d probably give it another month unless it gets worse or is accompanied by something weird like a rash.

I like this answer, too.  Ignoring it is honestly my first choice.  I just don't want to cause long term damage by doing so, but the pain is so trivial, it seems ridiculous to seek help for it.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I have a chiropractor I like, and I was going to go see him in the next week or so because he's my supplier of the vitamin D+K and I'm almost out.  That's a good idea.  I know what you mean about chiropractors.  I have been to some that were scary, a bunch that were quacks, and there was one in Colorado who I swear had a supernatural gift for healing one step removed from Jesus.  Current guy is competent and works well.  I have nightmares about him retiring, because he has to be over 70.  

I like this answer, too.  Ignoring it is honestly my first choice.  I just don't want to cause long term damage by doing so, but the pain is so trivial, it seems ridiculous to seek help for it.  

Lol. Yesterday my forearm kept throbbing off/on and I wondered what the heck caused it. I did not want to go to the dr over it, thinking they would just say, "yeah you maybe strained it picking up the dumbbell" or whatever and possibly give me a prescription for a pain med. I iced it off/on but couldn't tell if it helped. Then last night it just stopped doing it. You've been experiencing pain for a month already, so I might not want to grin and bear it another month as it's impacting your daily life. I do like the suggestion that maybe instead of a GP someone else could have feedback. But I really don't know what they can determine/help with. I hope you can find some relief soon!! 

6 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Lol. Yesterday my forearm kept throbbing off/on and I wondered what the heck caused it. I did not want to go to the dr over it, thinking they would just say, "yeah you maybe strained it picking up the dumbbell" or whatever and possibly give me a prescription for a pain med. I iced it off/on but couldn't tell if it helped. Then last night it just stopped doing it. You've been experiencing pain for a month already, so I might not want to grin and bear it another month as it's impacting your daily life. I do like the suggestion that maybe instead of a GP someone else could have feedback. But I really don't know what they can determine/help with. I hope you can find some relief soon!! 

It's not really impacting my daily life though.  I can do all the things I would normally do.  It just twinges a little, the way muscles do when they're sore, whenever I bend it or lift anything.  It's IRRITATING, but it's not keeping me from doing anything.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I was going to go see him in the next week or so

It wouldn't hurt to mention it. I just saw mine on Monday, and he did wonders for the arm.

Previously, a different chiropractor fixed some kind of strain in the top of my foot--I got the RICE talk from the ortho, and it just kept getting worse. I asked the chiropractor to look at it, and it was visibly less swollen within ten minutes! It was still sore for a few days, but rather than getting worse and worse with RICE, it got better and better while I was able to walk on it, etc. and not have to do all the RICE. It was stunning.

• Thanks 1

I had something similar happen with a tendon in/near my thumb. I overdid it when we were moving back into our house after a renovation and I was using that hand to pull book after book out of boxes. It was sore for months and not really getting better. Then I did a Google search and found a very specific stretch on a PT website for that tendon. I started stretching it per the instructions every day and it was  completely better within a week. 

So, I guess the moral is that there might be a simple exercise or stretch a PT could give you that could quickly resolve it.  

• Like 2

I once had some intermittent pain in my forearms that felt tendon-y and it turned out to be that I often wore a jacket that had elastic at the cuffs, and when I wore the jacket all day and pushed the sleeves up to my elbows, the tight elastic irritated the tendons.  I've also had something like tennis elbow from ringing bass bells in the handbell choir.  It usually peaks around Christmas and Easter, and if I wind up with a bout then it usually lasts several months.  I've also had some odd arm discomfort from holding a tablet at what is apparently a bad angle for too long.  Maybe it's something equally strange and benign?  

Edited by Clemsondana

sounds like tennis elbow, or golfers elbow (I get them mixed up). And yup, carrying heavy bags can put strain on that tendon, as does typing, knitting, etc. Anything with wrists flexed. (I know pain is in the elbow, but the tendon runs from wrist to elbow so can hurt at either end or in the middle). 

Do you have orthopedic walk in clinics near you? that's where I would go. You may need a brace for a bit. 

Chiropractor.

But also, I just learned that it is a common symptom of Hashimoto's, an autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid. Why this is so, I don't know, but apparently it is so common that some knowledgeable doctors diagnose Hashi's because of it. So, if you haven't had your Free T3 and Free T4 tested (which probably you have not, as most doctors only test TSH, which isn't even a thyroid thing, but I digress.), maybe you should.

I am *just this week* coming out of a very similar situation.  I picked up too many groceries and then my elbow and forearm hurt.  For like 3 months! It was not painful enough to really create a problem but it did have me wondering.  I did try the chiro first.  He is always my first step since visits are inexpensive and easy to get into.  He can't usually do much to fix tendon/muscle pain but can usually rule out more serious things and make sure there is not an alignment issue that is delaying the healing process.  I happened to also have a problem with one of my legs that was causing a great deal of trouble so in desperation, I went to a trigger point massage therapist that a friend recommended.  I had her work on my arm during the same visit.  Both cleared up within days!  It could totally be a coincidence but I am intrigued enough to try it next time I have a similar pain issue.

Also, arms take forever to heal.

All that to say, I'd try the chiro and just give it time and RICE.  I have tried bringing things like this to my GP and the result was spending a LOT of money only to be told to RICE.  If your chiro doesn't think there is something more going on and your health insurance is as bad as mine, I'd wait it out.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Chiropractor.

But also, I just learned that it is a common symptom of Hashimoto's, an autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid. Why this is so, I don't know, but apparently it is so common that some knowledgeable doctors diagnose Hashi's because of it. So, if you haven't had your Free T3 and Free T4 tested (which probably you have not, as most doctors only test TSH, which isn't even a thyroid thing, but I digress.), maybe you should.

I've had them checked but it's been a few years.  I have had hypothyroidism since I was 21; a few years back I did a stint at an endocrinologist to make sure it wasn't anything weird and he did all the thyroid tests, including the ones you recommended.  (Like I wrote down what you suggested and was like, "My friend from my forum says I need this," and he said, "Okay, sure, that seems reasonable.").  That was pre-pandemic, though.  

It seems more likely that it was from the day I carried all the heavy bags, though, since bag carrying directly preceded the pain.  

Just now, skimomma said:

I am *just this week* coming out of a very similar situation.  I picked up too many groceries and then my elbow and forearm hurt.  For like 3 months! It was not painful enough to really create a problem but it did have me wondering.  I did try the chiro first.  He is always my first step since visits are inexpensive and easy to get into.  He can't usually do much to fix tendon/muscle pain but can usually rule out more serious things and make sure there is not an alignment issue that is delaying the healing process.  I happened to also have a problem with one of my legs that was causing a great deal of trouble so in desperation, I went to a trigger point massage therapist that a friend recommended.  I had her work on my arm during the same visit.  Both cleared up within days!  It could totally be a coincidence but I am intrigued enough to try it next time I have a similar pain issue.

Also, arms take forever to heal.

All that to say, I'd try the chiro and just give it time and RICE.  I have tried bringing things like this to my GP and the result was spending a LOT of money only to be told to RICE.  If your chiro doesn't think there is something more going on and your health insurance is as bad as mine, I'd wait it out.  

My health insurance isn't bad, but we don't have free standing orthopedic clinics within my health insurance system.  Like there's two hospitals that service this area, and the one that my health insurance is directly attached to, because my husband works for them, is not the one that has the ortho urgent care.  

But my insurance isn't so good that imaging more than X-ray wouldn't be a massive expense.  And the time and hassle is just....it's all together a lot.  

2 minutes ago, Terabith said:

My health insurance isn't bad, but we don't have free standing orthopedic clinics within my health insurance system.  Like there's two hospitals that service this area, and the one that my health insurance is directly attached to, because my husband works for them, is not the one that has the ortho urgent care.  

But my insurance isn't so good that imaging more than X-ray wouldn't be a massive expense.  And the time and hassle is just....it's all together a lot.  

I hear you. I doubt they'd want to do anything more than an xray anyway, if that helps. Now a days insurance wont' cover extra imaging unless there is proof it isn't getting better - so likely would diagnose based on exam and maybe an xray to rule out stress fracture. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I've had them checked but it's been a few years.  I have had hypothyroidism since I was 21; a few years back I did a stint at an endocrinologist to make sure it wasn't anything weird and he did all the thyroid tests, including the ones you recommended.  (Like I wrote down what you suggested and was like, "My friend from my forum says I need this," and he said, "Okay, sure, that seems reasonable.").  That was pre-pandemic, though.  

It seems more likely that it was from the day I carried all the heavy bags, though, since bag carrying directly preceded the pain.  

It is probable that you have Hashimoto's. just FYI, as the majority of adult women who have thyroid issues actually have Hashi's. But it takes a really smart endo to figure that out, as autoimmune diseases are not their field (although doctors who *are* in that field don't know how to treat Hashi's, either, so there's that).

It could be because you carried the heavy bags. 🙂 I'm just putting that bug in your ear. 🙂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Terabith said:

The muscles/ tendons in my left arm have been hurting for.....a long time?  A month?  Two months?  It's very weird.  It feels exactly like the muscles are sore from overuse, and it started after a grocery trip in which I played the "how many bags can I carry in at once" game, so I honestly didn't think anything of it for so long that I'm not sure how long it's been going on.  The pain isn't very bad; it's not preventing me from doing any activities.  But I notice a slight pain on the tendon on my elbow when I bend my arm at all, and the muscles in my forearm hurt when I lift something as light as a book, a beverage, or a cutting board.  The muscles also feel weak or unstable, but I'm not sure they really are.  

I know probably the logical first step is going to GP, but it feels like such a trivial complaint, and also I really, really don't want to go.  My GP left the practice and I've been assigned a random doctor, and the whole business is just a hassle I don't want to deal with in terms of time, expectations, and money.  

Any ideas on what might be causing it or what I can do to ameliorate it?

Bursitis? Tennis elbow? I once shoveled too much mulch in a two day period and my arm hurt for months. It was ridiculous. I thought I was just going to live like that, but it gradually faded. It lasted longer than 6 months but not quite a year. 

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

Bursitis? Tennis elbow? I once shoveled too much mulch in a two day period and my arm hurt for months. It was ridiculous. I thought I was just going to live like that, but it gradually faded. It lasted longer than 6 months but not quite a year. 

I've never had either of those, so it's hard for me to judge.  But I will admit that the location of the pain has had me wondering about tennis elbow.  

Just now, Terabith said:

I've never had either of those, so it's hard for me to judge.  But I will admit that the location of the pain has had me wondering about tennis elbow.  

I think they might be the same thing. I never had it before or since. My GP said it’s inflammation, so take ibuprofen and it would probably resolve on its own. I wasn’t amused at the time but that’s the way it played out. It was another one of those “Your 40. It happens” diagnosis and I was annoyed. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Terabith said:

The carrying groceries thing is classic from my understanding. Ibuprofen, ice, and they might want you to wear some kind of brace or support for a bit so the inflammation can go down. Maybe some exercises after that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Katy said:

I hurt my arm lifting weights (not even super heavy and I’m in decent shape). It literally was sore for 6 months. I kept telling myself to go see a doc but I also knew there likely wasn’t anything they could do and didn’t want to waste the money. I’m still surprised how long it took to heal. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, City Mouse said:

Any pain in your upper arm or shoulder? I had an issue with my shoulder that caused pain in my forearm. Once the shoulder was fixed, the arm pain stopped.

No.  There's a tiny bit of pain directly over the elbow, but nothing up by shoulder.