Menu

I'm now a K-drama addict...

Jann in TX

1 minute ago, KSera said:

Any teen friendly ones with nothing about suicide? The frequency and normalization of that has been problematic in so many of the k-dramas we’ve watched so far. 

Hmmm. True Beauty didn’t have suicide but it did have serious bullying due to domestic abuse for one side character. (Who eventually gets it together and lives better.)

Strong Woman Do Bong Soon

Weight Lifting Fairy

Fight My Way

were really enjoyed by my teens and there is no suicide in them. 
What do you mean by teen friendly? Like high school setting? Idk why but I swear the shows set in high schools are some of the most mature and disturbing.  Whereas the settings for college and older seems hella tamer, sometimes to the point of weird annoying.

I’m never going to be able to wrap my brain around a professional 30-something woman spazzing if her crush leans in to kiss her.  I’m pretty sure most 12 year olds don’t act over their first crush like some of the shows portray middle aged women.  It is something that annoys me about k dramas.  That and we joke that if you wear a baseball cap in Korea it makes you unrecognizable and invisible.  My husband calls it the Kent Effect. LOL

8 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Hmmm. True Beauty didn’t have suicide but it did have serious bullying due to domestic abuse for one side character. (Who eventually gets it together and lives better.)

In True Beauty, character Se Yeon (third boy in idol group the 2 main leads had been in) committed suicide due to online shaming... while not part of the main plot it did shape the conflict between the 2 main leads.

Strong Woman Do Bong Soon may not have had suicide-- but it is not teen friendly-- women stalked, killed and some kept in bondage!  I've loved this both times I've watched it but would NOT watch with a teen.

Edited by Jann in TX
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

In True Beauty, character Se Yeon (third boy in idol group the 2 main leads had been in) committed suicide due to online shaming... while not part of the main plot it did shape the conflict between the 2 main leads.

Dang it. How did I forget that?! Ugh. Hospital brain.  Sorry!

20 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

Strong Woman Do Bong Soon may not have had suicide-- but it is not teen friendly-- women stalked, killed and some kept in bondage!  I've loved this both times I've watched it but would NOT watch with a teen.

That was acceptable to watch WITH teens to me. Keep in mind I’m a PSA mom while we watch stuff together. It’s rare for the family tv to be on when I’m not watching with them.

My apologies if any of my suggestions offend anyone.  Always look up the summaries before watching anything is a good policy.

What do you recommend for teens?  I’m always looking for suggestions. 

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

I’m never going to be able to wrap my brain around a professional 30-something woman spazzing if her crush leans in to kiss her.  I’m pretty sure most 12 year olds don’t act over their first crush like some of the shows portray middle aged women.  It is something that annoys me about k dramas.  That and we joke that if you wear a baseball cap in Korea it makes you unrecognizable and invisible.  My husband calls it the Kent Effect. LOL

We’re watching Crash Course in Romance right now and what you’re saying here reminds of this show. ☺️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

What do you mean by teen friendly? Like high school setting?

Maybe teen friendly wasn’t the right word. I just meant good to watch with a younger teen. Nothing overly mature. Doesn’t need to be focused on kids though. Hometown Cha Cha Cha was a favorite (there was that one scene) (pretty sure there was a suicide storyline there as well. I honestly don’t know if I’ve watched one without it).

17 minutes ago, KSera said:

Maybe teen friendly wasn’t the right word. I just meant good to watch with a younger teen. Nothing overly mature. Doesn’t need to be focused on kids though. Hometown Cha Cha Cha was a favorite (there was that one scene) (pretty sure there was a suicide storyline there as well. I honestly don’t know if I’ve watched one without it).

Suicide is really high in Korea so it makes sense that it’s going to be a common theme.  They’ve come a long way in talking about it at all. 

I wish there was a way to make lists on kocowa and viki. Like these are shows that didn’t have violence. These are shows that didn’t have suicide. These are shows I’d watch as a family. Alas I just have one massive disorganized watchlist.

Edited by Murphy101

1 minute ago, Murphy101 said:

Suicide is really high in Korea so it makes sense that it’s going to be a common theme.  They’ve come a long way in talking about it at all. 

Yeah, it’s really a huge problem. I think there’s definitely such a thing as talking about it too much, given how suggestible and triggering it can be for people who struggle, so I’d love to see it less of a ubiquitous plot line in shows. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 1:43 PM, Vintage81 said:

I will definitely come back…thank you both!

One thing I noticed when I was looking around was that some of the shows had subtitles and some were dubbed in English. Do y’all have a preference? The ones that were dubbed seemed a bit weird, but maybe it just takes some getting used to? 🤷‍♀️

i can't do dubbing.  That is because I have had hearing issues for a long time and got used to reading lips too, I guess.  The one either person in my family who can't tolerate dubbed is my aibn who also has mild hearing issues ( didn't hear well until he was 22 months old).

On 5/4/2023 at 10:06 AM, Murphy101 said:

This is exactly our experience too. And note, it tends to happen more with Netflix, which I think definitely adds a heavy westernized flavor to the kdramas.

Just for the record, Nevertheless was a Korean production broadcast on Korean cable, and not a Netflix production.  It was rated TV-19 in Korea, and broadcast late at night, when most K-Dramas are TV-12, and broadcast during prime-time.  That’s why there was such a difference in the amount of sexual content.

Korean culture is not as conservative as typical K-Dramas might suggest.  Korean movies regularly include sexual content.  Korea does have very strict rules for TV content ratings, and Netflix productions don’t have to deal with those restraints.  But I don’t think that makes Netflix productions less Korean and more Western.   

• Like 3

I have three daughters who adore Kdrama and Kpop. Our current 19yo hooked the 27yo and the 13yo. It’s fun that the three of them bond over this. ♥️ 

The 19yo is beyond enthralled though. She’s planning to study abroad in South Korea next school year. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Just doing a quick check in since DD and I have finished a few more shows...

We finished Crash Course in Romance - We really enjoyed this one. It was an interesting look at the intensity of the education system in Korea (both good and bad). We weren't expecting a murder mystery in the middle, so that was a surprise! I loved all the food too...I'm kind of a picky eater, so I'm not even sure I'd like any of it, but I would definitely like to try some of it. (My DH used to live in Korea and still regularly eats kimchi....I will not be trying that, though. I can't get past the smell. 😝)

Run-On - This was a random pick, but it was pretty good. I actually enjoyed the secondary couple in this one rather than the main couple. 

But our favorite of this bunch was Rookie Historian Goo Hae-ryung. Even though this one was 20 episodes, it never dragged. I loved the camaraderie among the group of historians, and they made us laugh so many times. The ending was surprisingly modern, but after thinking about it, it felt right. Oh, and the best part...my oldest DD joined us for this one and she actually liked it! Not sure if we've fully converted her, but I think she may join us in the future. ☺️

I hope y'all are enjoying some good shows!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

I’m liking Bloodhounds about loan sharks, bromance, and boxing. Detestable villain and likable main characters, good writing, and some gory violence.  

Also in my queue. I really hope I live long enough to watch everything in my queue and use up all my yarn stash.  But I think 200 is unrealistic. Sigh. 

• Like 1

Just finished Bloodhounds (watched most of it with DH-- he will finish this weekend).  Loved the casting and the bro-mance... gore was a bit much at times...

My youngest dd is friends with a guy who was one of Woo Do-hwan's CO's when he was in the military...but we have loved him since The King.

I'm currently re-bingeing Sh**ting Stars  ( the * are in the name as 'Shooting Stars' is a completely different show).  Needed a fun rom-com after Bloodhounds.

I'm also a few episodes into The Good Bad Mother... not sure if I will finish...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

Run-On - This was a random pick, but it was pretty good. I actually enjoyed the secondary couple in this one rather than the main couple.

Kang Tae Oh was *so* cute in Extraordinary Attorney Woo.  I’ve wanted to watch Run On just for him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vintage81 said:

Can you update us on this one if you continue (or not)? 

I second this. One reason I’m waiting until it’s all done is to see if it’s worth it.

I really enjoyed Empress Ki but was not a fan of the last 3-5 episodes. the ending. It’s not like her real life didn’t suck enough. No need to make it worse in the name of creative liberty. 

I get to fan girl this summer with youngest dd!

We are going to KCON LA!! -- 3 nights of concerts (lots of effort but we scored great seats on all 3 nights).  Got great hotel very close to venue too-- plus flights were cheap-- WIN WIN!

At least DD gets to fan girl at a meet and greet for her favorite group ATEEZ--- we only scored one ticket for that-- but will look for another on resale and hope for the best.

KDRAMA fan girl time--  RAIN will be one of the performers the first night-- such a great voice-- He starred in Ghost Doctor-- one of my favorites (Teen friendly for most part but it does mention suicide).

I just finished Another Miss OH-- 18 episodes-- but would have been better cut down-- I had to use FF a few times.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2023 at 5:30 PM, Jann in TX said:

I get to fan girl this summer with youngest dd!

We are going to KCON LA!! -- 3 nights of concerts (lots of effort but we scored great seats on all 3 nights).  Got great hotel very close to venue too-- plus flights were cheap-- WIN WIN!

At least DD gets to fan girl at a meet and greet for her favorite group ATEEZ--- we only scored one ticket for that-- but will look for another on resale and hope for the best.

KDRAMA fan girl time--  RAIN will be one of the performers the first night-- such a great voice-- He starred in Ghost Doctor-- one of my favorites (Teen friendly for most part but it does mention suicide).

I just finished Another Miss OH-- 18 episodes-- but would have been better cut down-- I had to use FF a few times.

You have no idea the turmoil that this post wrought upon our household. We had no idea a KCON even existed and there’s no way we can make it now.  🤯

Also. I have watched a c-drama that I liked. Oath of Love was sweet and had a happy ending.  I rarely watch c-dramas so that’s somewhat high praise for me.

Currently watching Extra-ordinary You and really liking it so far.

• Like 1

I started King the Land (Netflix)-- good so far!  I typically wait until all episodes are available-- but dd wanted to watch together (even though she lives in a different state!).

Today I'm starting 'See you in my 19th life (Netflix) another new one dd wanted to view 'with' me...

I'm also working through the 2014 'Dr Stranger' (Viki)

• Like 1

DD and I are still making our way through older stuff on Netflix. We finished Cinderella and the Four Knights and Touch Her Heart (this one is being removed from Netflix soon). We really liked both. I'm still not sure who the "fourth knight" was, but other than that it was all good. 😂

We're going on vacation next week, so we tried to find a short series before we left. (We're total addicts now...can't even go a few days without a show, ha!) Last night we started My Holo Love. So far it's pretty good...although the hologram thing is questionable at times, but we're not too picky when it comes to things being completely realistic. 🤣

Edited by Vintage81
Ummm…spelling 🤦🏼‍♀️

4 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

DD and I are still making our way through older stuff on Netflix. We finished Cinderella and the Four Knights ....I'm still not sure who the "fourth knight" was, but other than that it was all good. 😂

The forth knight is the chairman's secretary (the grandson's bodyguard) Lee Yong-sung played by Choi Min. --His mother ends up being the chairman's 5th wife.

On 6/30/2023 at 1:34 PM, Jann in TX said:

I started King the Land (Netflix)-- good so far!  I typically wait until all episodes are available-- but dd wanted to watch together (even though she lives in a different state!).

Today I'm starting 'See you in my 19th life (Netflix) another new one dd wanted to view 'with' me...

I'm also working through the 2014 'Dr Stranger' (Viki)

Those are in my queue bc I usually wait until the series is done too.

I slogged through all of Dr Stranger under the hopes it would get better but alas I don’t think it did. 

As far as current releases…

Tale of the Nine Tailed just wrapped up and we enjoyed that. 

I’m currently watching The Real Has Come and enjoying it quite a bit. It’s on epi30 of planned 52 to be released.

• Like 1

I wish there was a website that discussed Korean reality vs drama.

For example, a show I watched a sibling pair falls in love with another sibling pair. So one of them chooses to break up so the other can be together. I was curious if that’s a law or social custom or pure fiction or what?

I mean personally I cannot fathom being interested in my brother-in-law’s brother, but I didn’t think it was actually illegal anywhere since there’s no actual blood or legal relation. 

Another one I’m watching is really going on about how difficult it is to get a sperm donor for IVF bc only “private donations” are legally allowed, which I find interesting and am curious about.

Another was Divorce Attorney Choi and that had a lot of interesting divorce and general family law concepts that I was curious about.

But again, I have no idea how much is pure fiction or not.

All I can ever find are things saying that life romance is not like kdramas, which is the only thing I was not curious about and assumed was pure fiction already.

I don't watch k-dramas, but I thought I'd mention that I'm in Seoul at the moment and saw part of a drama being filmed. We were in the area and saw all the cameras etc and had a peek.

Last time we were here we also saw some filming of a k-drama on the street.

We've also seen a heap of K-pop groups either doing free fan meetings outside or driving in and out of the TV studios.

We stay near DMC, and there's often something interesting going on in the streets there.

I tried to add a photo, but my files are too large apparently.

• Like 4

There had been a couple of things I'd read or heard about Korean couple culture that you may see on the dramas.

I can confirm that 'couples clothes' is actually a thing. It's certainly not the majority of couples by any means, but enough that we've noticed. 

Really sweet goodbyes at trains are very common. One inside and one outside, waving until the train is gone, seemingly oblivious to everyone else. Warms my heart every time. So sweet. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

There had been a couple of things I'd read or heard about Korean couple culture that you may see on the dramas.

I can confirm that 'couples clothes' is actually a thing. It's certainly not the majority of couples by any means, but enough that we've noticed. 

Really sweet goodbyes at trains are very common. One inside and one outside, waving until the train is gone, seemingly oblivious to everyone else. Warms my heart every time. So sweet. 

I knew about the couples outfits and rings.

I had no idea the goodbyes were a Korean thing. That’s a southern/okie/me thing too.  We’ve always been like that. Doesn’t matter if they are leaving from the car in my driveway or boarding a plane or train. The goodbye ain’t over until we can’t see the mode of transport anymore. 

12 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I don't watch k-dramas, but I thought I'd mention that I'm in Seoul at the moment and saw part of a drama being filmed. We were in the area and saw all the cameras etc and had a peek.

Last time we were here we also saw some filming of a k-drama on the street.

We've also seen a heap of K-pop groups either doing free fan meetings outside or driving in and out of the TV studios.

We stay near DMC, and there's often something interesting going on in the streets there.

I tried to add a photo, but my files are too large apparently.

What does DMC stand for? Sounds like a great location. Is it the same as the last place you stayed at? Please share details bc I’m deep into trip planning mode.  My husband wants to go, but I think I’m going to leave him at home for my 14dd. Unless I can scrounge funds for more of us to go.

Have you traveled much outside of Seoul? 

1 minute ago, Murphy101 said:

I knew about the couples outfits and rings.

I had no idea the goodbyes were a Korean thing. That’s a southern/okie/me thing too.  We’ve always been like that. Doesn’t matter if they are leaving from the car in my driveway or boarding a plane or train. The goodbye ain’t over until we can’t see the mode of transport anymore. 

What does DMC stand for? Sounds like a great location. Is it the same as the last place you stayed at? Please share details bc I’m deep into trip planning mode.  My husband wants to go, but I think I’m going to leave him at home for my 14dd. Unless I can scrounge funds for more of us to go.

Have you traveled much outside of Seoul? 

DMC is Digital Media City. It's when MBC, SBS, ENJ etc are.

We're at an Airbnb in Mapo-gu. It's about 5 min walk to DMC train station, and about 10-15 min walk to DMC itself.

We love where we stay. Same place as last time. 

We've only been just south of Seoul. It was interesting to see the change in scenery. 

• Like 3

On 5/22/2023 at 11:52 AM, KSera said:

Any teen friendly ones with nothing about suicide? The frequency and normalization of that has been problematic in so many of the k-dramas we’ve watched so far. 

I don't know if you'd consider Cinderella and the four knights a teenage one or not.  I would consider it generally friendly.  The chaebol chairman hires a very spunky 20 year old (just graduated, really wants to go to college.)  "cinderella" to teach his bratty grandsons how to be decent humans.  (the fourth "knight" is the general secretary.  He doesn't need to be taught.)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

The forth knight is the chairman's secretary (the grandson's bodyguard) Lee Yong-sung played by Choi Min. --His mother ends up being the chairman's 5th wife.

47 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

(the fourth "knight" is the general secretary.  He doesn't need to be taught.)  

Makes sense…thanks! 

2 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

DMC is Digital Media City. It's when MBC, SBS, ENJ etc are.

We're at an Airbnb in Mapo-gu. It's about 5 min walk to DMC train station, and about 10-15 min walk to DMC itself.

We love where we stay. Same place as last time. 

We've only been just south of Seoul. It was interesting to see the change in scenery. 

I’d love the Airbnb recommendation. I hesitate to book Airbnb without a more direct recommendation.

49 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

@chocolate-chip chooky That looks so awesome!

After watching all these k-dramas, DD and I want to go to Korea now so bad! Not just for k-drama stuff, but the country just looks so nice. Maybe someday. ☺️

Girl. Im trying to get a trip going for late September/October/November.  I need other things in my life to get their plans scheduled so I can plan around that stuff to book.

I wish I could figure out a way to make money traveling.  Or just get the costs covered. I don’t even care about a profit. LOL

I’m currently looking at nonstop flights via Korean air out of Dallas to Seoul for $1830 in late September, round trip return in 12 days….

• Like 1

Just now, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Have you seen them live before?

We saw them at the SBS Christmas Eve Gayo last year. So good 👍

Seeing this fan meeting the other day was just pure chance. 

My dd has seen them twice... I had tickets once but concert was cancelled due to COVID... this will be my first time... My 3yr old grandson LOVES 'Bouncy'-- I'm getting him hooked on KPOP-- He loves to dance!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

I’d love the Airbnb recommendation. I hesitate to book Airbnb without a more direct recommendation.

Girl. Im trying to get a trip going for late September/October/November.  I need other things in my life to get their plans scheduled so I can plan around that stuff to book.

I wish I could figure out a way to make money traveling.  Or just get the costs covered. I don’t even care about a profit. LOL

I’m currently looking at nonstop flights via Korean air out of Dallas to Seoul for $1830 in late September, round trip return in 12 days….

I definitely recommend where we stay, if this area suits your needs. I'm not sure how to link the info via my phone without my Airbnb account being public. Let me see what I can do.

Also, it depends how many of you come. Where we stay is small. It's perfect for one person, or two who get on well in a small space. 

Try searching on Airbnb for mapo-gu and then filter for superhosts. In the meantime, I'll try to work out how to share the info with you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I definitely recommend where we stay, if this area suits your needs. I'm not sure how to link the info via my phone without my Airbnb account being public. Let me see what I can do.

Also, it depends how many of you come. Where we stay is small. It's perfect for one person, or two who get on well in a small space. 

Try searching on Airbnb for mapo-gu and then filter for superhosts. In the meantime, I'll try to work out how to share the info with you.

If you put this into your search, you should find it: Mapo-gu, one stop to Hongdae

The host is Hung-Su.

Let me know if you find it. The floor we are on has 8 units, and each is colour coded.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

If you put this into your search, you should find it: Mapo-gu, one stop to Hongdae

The host is Hung-Su.

Let me know if you find it. The floor we are on has 8 units, and each is colour coded.

Found it and added it to my favs list!

I don’t know yet if it will be 2 or 4/5 of us. Probably just two bc of the cost of flights.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

😍 So exciting! I hope everything works out so you get to go!

• Like 1

One perk of having a bad virus and other health issues is that I have plenty of down time-- lots of crochet and K-dramas!

I watched the first 4 episodes of Heartbeat so far so good (Amazon Prime)-- Cute vampire story.  Rating says 13+ and it probably is but it is 'tame' (has a bit of alcohol use and some violence but not horrible/scary stuff).

Looks like they will release 2 episodes each week (possibly Monday and Tuesday?)

--

I dont have Hulu- but thinking about getting it for summer-- I really want to watch Dr Romantic 3 as the first 2 seasons were SO GOOD!

3 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

One perk of having a bad virus and other health issues is that I have plenty of down time-- lots of crochet and K-dramas!

I watched the first 4 episodes of Heartbeat so far so good (Amazon Prime)-- Cute vampire story.  Rating says 13+ and it probably is but it is 'tame' (has a bit of alcohol use and some violence but not horrible/scary stuff).

Looks like they will release 2 episodes each week (possibly Monday and Tuesday?)

--

I dont have Hulu- but thinking about getting it for summer-- I really want to watch Dr Romantic 3 as the first 2 seasons were SO GOOD!

Is season 3 of dr romantic not on Viki? That’s where I’m watching season 2.

Heartbeat is on prime?! I always forget that prime sometimes has something I’ll watch. I look in viki and kocowa and Netflix but not there!

3 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

Is season 3 of dr romantic not on Viki? That’s where I’m watching season 2.

Heartbeat is on prime?! I always forget that prime sometimes has something I’ll watch. I look in viki and kocowa and Netflix but not there!

Nope-- Season 3 is being distributed by Disney Plus-- but not in USA.  I've heard that it will eventually be on Netflix-- but no date yet.  Hulu is the only way unless you want to use a different VPN service (nope on that).

First 4 Episodes of Heartbeat are released on Prime.  Starting to see a few more k-dramas there (mostly old).

I’m now watching The Real Has Come and grandma just spoiled the pregnant lady by personally choosing the carp that was juiced for her.  I’m trying to imagine being pregnant and excited at being handed what looks like a boxed wine, but it’s carp juice.  Had to pause the show to go searching.  Apparently it even comes in banana nut flavor, that’s sold out.  Somehow that makes it worse to me.  In rare cases toxic hepatitis can result from ingestion.

Edited by Murphy101