Menu

I'm now a K-drama addict...

Jann in TX

4 hours ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

I don’t think I can hear the difference between North and South Korean yet, although I haven’t tried lately.  My Korean sister-in-law says that Hyun Bin’s North Korean accent was particularly sexy, so I hope to be able to appreciate that someday!

There is a funny scene in the first episode of Hospital Playlist, where a pair of provincial students meet a pair of students from Seoul at medical school orientation.  Both pairs react to each other’s accents.  The Seoul students:  “I don’t understand what they are saying.  Are they Japanese?!?”  The provincial students: “Wow, they speak so clearly!  It’s like listening to the radio!”

LOL. I’ve watched that.

Sometimes I’m confused by what they define as a dialect.  Because it’s not always just the same words with a different accent. Sometimes they are literally saying different words for the same thing.  You can search Busan vs Seoul on IG or YT for examples.

I finished Crashed Landing on You last night! I really liked it a lot! It had so much more than what I expected going in...drama, humor, the romance of course, but they went into some serious topics too. Really great. It didn't end exactly the way I was hoping, but with the whole North/South Korea thing that wasn't really possible. Funny thing...by the end both of my DDs were watching with me! 🤣 

On to the next (not sure what that is yet)!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

I finished Crashed Landing on You last night! I really liked it a lot! It had so much more than what I expected going in...drama, humor, the romance of course, but they went into some serious topics too. Really great. It didn't end exactly the way I was hoping, but with the whole North/South Korea thing that wasn't really possible. Funny thing...by the end both of my DDs were watching with me! 🤣 

Oh yeah. I should warn you. Not all kdramas have happy endings. And sometimes the happy ending is … well … just happy enough.

I thought the ending to Crash… was bitter sweet but like you say, bitter sweet was the best they could hope for.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Oh yeah. I should warn you. Not all kdramas have happy endings. And sometimes the happy ending is … well … just happy enough.

I thought the ending to Crash… was bitter sweet but like you say, bitter sweet was the best they could hope for.

Thanks for the warning! That is interesting that they do that. 

10 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

If you are staying with Netflix--

If you are in the mood for a life/romance then Hometown Cha Cha Cha is sure to please... (pretty good ending too).

I LOVED Alchemy of the Souls -- if you like period pieces (costumes) mixed with fantasy (some magic)...

For period romance I LOVED the King's Affection (but I also really like Rowoon....)  This won several international Emmy's...

For office romance-- Business Proposal (I've watched twice at least...)

Just GREAT shows -- Extraordinary Attorney Woo and Hospital Playlist

To watch with your teen daughters-- True Beauty and just about anything with Cha Eun-woo although Island has a horror component...

So many good ones out there... many of the new releases are becoming favorites too!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

Ugh, cdramas can be like that. The first one I watched, I really got into it, sooo many episodes, and the last episode SUCKED. I HATED the ending. But, then, I should have expected that type of thing (a historical/period drama). It's such a good drama too, I wanted to watch it again. But, I can't. Because of how it ended. 

3 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

If you are in the mood for a life/romance then Hometown Cha Cha Cha is sure to please... (pretty good ending too).

I LOVED Alchemy of the Souls -- if you like period pieces (costumes) mixed with fantasy (some magic)...

For period romance I LOVED the King's Affection (but I also really like Rowoon....)  This won several international Emmy's...

To watch with your teen daughters-- True Beauty and just about anything with Cha Eun-woo although Island has a horror component...

So many good ones out there... many of the new releases are becoming favorites too!

Live up to your name - is a good costume/period-modern/sci-fi series, and a satisfying ending (They set up a possible sequel!)

I also loved The King's Affection - you would probably also like 100 days my prince too (also highly rated)

Business Proposal was fun

Cinderella and the four knights.  (happy ending)

flower crew: Josen marriage agency (I watched it on bilibili.com - or  viki.com - not sure if it's on netflix (and we have cancelled our subscription - so I'm very glad to have places I can still watch k-dramas.)

If you can find it (eta: I found it on Prime to rent or purchase) . . . I want to watch "In our prime". About a north korean mathematician who defects to south korea and hides his identity.   

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

I really enjoyed Her Private Life on Netflix.  The male lead is just beyond gorgeous; he and the female lead have a really joyful romantic chemistry together.  The fan girl plot initially put me off, but it ended up being interesting.

Hospital Playlist is just great television.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

But.... there is a happy ending! The stars are married and just had a baby!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

I haven’t watched that yet… off to queue it. 

this was great! Loved it!

Queueing that too..

All of these were wonderful imo too!

True Beauty is one of our top 5 favs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Renai said:

Ugh, cdramas can be like that. The first one I watched, I really got into it, sooo many episodes, and the last episode SUCKED. I HATED the ending. But, then, I should have expected that type of thing (a historical/period drama). It's such a good drama too, I wanted to watch it again. But, I can't. Because of how it ended. 

I can’t watch c-drama.  I tried 2-3 of the most popular and the propaganda is just  ick and the endings just sucked so … yeah no for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

I really enjoyed Her Private Life on Netflix.  The male lead is just beyond gorgeous; he and the female lead have a really joyful romantic chemistry together.  The fan girl plot initially put me off, but it ended up being interesting.  

It did end up being really cute and I thought the same as you about the fan girl thing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

But.... there is a happy ending! The stars are married and just had a baby!!

6 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

Right?! And they are just the cutest lil family now.🫰

I saw that!! The whole time I was watching, I was like, it doesn’t even matter what happens because they’re together for real!!! 

• Like 1

If any of you craves something more serious, My Mister is a drama on a whole other level. It is story telling at its best, masterfully written, well directed, very human, a little depressing at the beginning but ultimately healing at the end. It's an ensemble drama where every character has his/her own arc, yet their stories complement the main story seamlessly. It's got a 9.1 rating on imdb, so it appeals to all. The soundtracks are beautiful and haunting, too. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Malory said:

If any of you craves something more serious, My Mister is a drama on a whole other level. It is story telling at its best, masterfully written, well directed, very human, a little depressing at the beginning but ultimately healing at the end. It's an ensemble drama where every character has his/her own arc, yet their stories complement the main story seamlessly. It's got a 9.1 rating on imdb, so it appeals to all. The soundtracks are beautiful and haunting, too. 

Noted! I don’t mind a darker tale if there’s hope eventually.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Malory said:

The same writer just came out with My Liberation Notes, also on Netflix.  Captivating portrait of a family.  It’s very, very realistic, sometimes dark but also funny and hopeful.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

The same writer just came out with My Liberation Notes, also on Netflix.  Captivating portrait of a family.  It’s very, very realistic, sometimes dark but also funny and hopeful.  

Yes, and I heard good things about My Liberation Notes, too, although I haven't seen it yet. Did you watch My Mister?

12 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I can’t watch c-drama.  I tried 2-3 of the most popular and the propaganda is just  ick and the endings just sucked so … yeah no for me.

Try the Taiwanese shows. Less propaganda.  Honestly, I don't know what are the most popular shows. I just read descriptions and choose what's interesting to me. Office girls, Mom Don't Do That, Perfect Match (Wu Kang Ren is in the last two, and the female lead is his real life partner in Perfect Match). There are others. 

Edited by Renai
added info
  • Like 1

yes yes yes!

viki.com/androidtv is available on my nvidia shield!  (for free).  (p.s.  - we replaced the rokus with it.)

lots of k-dramas (1ds cancelled the netflix subscription, and I've no desire to get one if I can get k-dramas elsewhere)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clarita said:

I need to go through this list. I seem to only start K-dramas that end up in the horror (zombies, etc.) Rather than good fun show to watch.

I did get hooked on Physical 100 but that's a K-reality show.

Happiness is the best of fun good romance show and horror.  Loved it.

Train to Busan was awful imo.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Train to Busan was awful imo.

I loved it-- but I knew in advance that he died... my dd spoiled it for me-- I just love Gong Yoo... so there.   Again I KNEW it was a cheesy zombie movie-- but it was fun... if you watch Goblin that is the movie they watch when he gets scared and throws popcorn everywhere!

I've watched an episode or two of physical 100-- DH is the main one watching that.

14 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I watched Falling into your Smile and it was a cute (teen) C-drama.  My family is really into gaming so I also appreciated that part of the story line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

yes yes yes!

viki.com/androidtv is available on my nvidia shield!  (for free).  (p.s.  - we replaced the rokus with it.)

New on Viki-- Our Blooming Youth-- again I'm a sucker for Park Hyung Sik (Strong Woman Do Bong-Soon) -- not all episodes released but it is SOOO GOOOD.

4 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

New on Viki-- Our Blooming Youth-- again I'm a sucker for Park Hyung Sik (Strong Woman Do Bong-Soon) -- not all episodes released but it is SOOO GOOOD.

I’m waiting every Tuesday night for the kids to go to bed so I can watch the next 2 episodes of this one! And sharing the love for Park too. If he’s in it, I’m watching it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clarita said:

I need to go through this list. I seem to only start K-dramas that end up in the horror (zombies, etc.) Rather than good fun show to watch.

I did get hooked on Physical 100 but that's a K-reality show.

My daughter and I are watching this! Yesterday was the episode with the two MMA fighters "death match." The younger one admired and showed so much respect for the older one. We're enjoying the series.

• Like 2

I was loving Memories of Alhambra and then BAM! Wins for most disappointing ending ever. I’d have rather the ML ended up dead I think. I felt like the just suddenly stopped 5 minutes before the ending.  

Whoever recommended Birthcare Center… I’m on episodes 3 and laughing all the way.

12 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I was loving Memories of Alhambra and then BAM! Wins for most disappointing ending ever. I’d have rather the ML ended up dead I think. I felt like the just suddenly stopped 5 minutes before the ending.  

Unfortunately there are several otherwise good/GREAT dramas that have rushed or squished or just plain NO NO NO endings-- but there are many that have satisfying endings.  

I think now that we are in the 'Age of Binging' 16-20 week/episode dramas we treat them more like an extended movie and really really want that 'Happily Every After' ending.   There are COUNTLESS American series that have been 'canceled' without the story line wrapped up... we are bummed for a bit then move on...

25-21 is one of these (Watch the first 15 episodes then STOP WATCHING and let it go then you will remember it as a great show-- watch the last episode and you are left with your heart kicked in (in not a good way-- plus they still did not resolve one of the biggest side story lines...).

Sometimes this is due to budget or budget cuts or production delays, sometimes a major actor becomes unavailable (or ill), most likely they were hoping to be awarded a 2nd season (RARE but becoming more popular) and were denied-- so they just wrapped up production and moved on to next project.

1 hour ago, Jann in TX said:

Unfortunately there are several otherwise good/GREAT dramas that have rushed or squished or just plain NO NO NO endings-- but there are many that have satisfying endings.  

I think now that we are in the 'Age of Binging' 16-20 week/episode dramas we treat them more like an extended movie and really really want that 'Happily Every After' ending.   There are COUNTLESS American series that have been 'canceled' without the story line wrapped up... we are bummed for a bit then move on...

So true. I do like that most kdramas have an ending (even if it’s one we don’t like) vs well that didn’t get renewed so oh well. 

25-21 is one of these (Watch the first 15 episodes then STOP WATCHING and let it go then you will remember it as a great show-- watch the last episode and you are left with your heart kicked in (in not a good way-- plus they still did not resolve one of the biggest side story lines...)

Spoilers!!

Oh man. I was so glad I listened to the foreshadowing in that one. I think I got a hint in episode 2(?) that they weren’t going to make it so I just stopped watching it despite that I was really liking it despite being icky over the age issue. 

Sometimes this is due to budget or budget cuts or production delays, sometimes a major actor becomes unavailable (or ill), most likely they were hoping to be awarded a 2nd season (RARE but becoming more popular) and were denied-- so they just wrapped up production and moved on to next project.

I think it’s more popular with the Netflix series. Outside of Netflix production, most people really like that kdramas don’t drag for years. And most actors like that too. They are less likely to get type-cast and they have more opportunities.

Personally I’ve found I like the 16/32 episode format more. Whether binging or waiting for weekly drops. 

• Like 1

You have to remember that most Kdramas are filming as the show is being broadcast and aren’t pre-produced.  Even if the ending isn’t straight up awful, it’s very common for a show to run out of steam by the end.  The team seems to run out of energy/money/ideas/mojo before the end and a show with eight amazing first episodes can finish with eight only okay  episodes.  Happens all the time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

Does anyone else find themselves enjoying the sibling relationships more than the romances in k-dramas?

Yes, I have enjoyed the sibling relationships more than the romances in some dramas. The ones that came to mind now are the relationship between half-sisters in Let's Eat 3, the sisters in Reply 88, the step brothers also in Reply 88, and the brothers in My Mister. 

I completed watching The Extraordinary Attorney Woo. It was great!! I was a bit hesitant at first because it was dubbed, but I gave it a few episodes, and I was hooked. So I learned that while I prefer subtitles, I can tolerate the dubbing. Some of the voices irritated me a little because they didn't seem to match the person, but again, it wasn't a deal breaker. I really liked the actress that played Attorney Woo. Also, I thought the whale thing was weird at first, but then there were references to it during the show that made me understand its importance.

My youngest DD again started watching with me towards the end of that show, so we ended up choosing the next show together so we can start from the beginning. ☺️ It was a total random pick as we scanned through Netflix...we chose Once Upon a Small Town. The farm setting looked interesting. This one is much shorter than the other ones. It is 12 episodes and each one is about 30-40 minutes, so I think we'll fly through it. We've already watched 3 episodes. So far it's good...addictive! Even the mediocre ones are addictive. 🤣

On 4/2/2023 at 9:48 PM, cave canem said:

We have loved Stranger (legal/police/crime, close to zero romance) and Life (hospital politics, tolerably low fixation on romance). 

Does anyone have a recommendation for other kdramas based on this data?

Big Mouth has very low romance and we thought was excellent. 

Parasite is a psychological thriller. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 9:13 PM, gardenmom5 said:

flower crew: Josen marriage agency (I watched it on bilibili.com - or  viki.com - not sure if it's on netflix (and we have cancelled our subscription - so I'm very glad to have places I can still watch k-dramas.)

DD12 and I are about to finish up Flower Crew (it is on Netflix). I wasn't sure about it after the first episode and I wasn't loving the lead actress at first, but after the second episode we were hooked! We've really liked it. Of course I'm saying this prior to watching the final episode, but that's okay. Ha! 😂

• Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 9:48 PM, cave canem said:

We have loved Stranger (legal/police/crime, close to zero romance) and Life (hospital politics, tolerably low fixation on romance). 

Does anyone have a recommendation for other kdramas based on this data?

Also. I loved Flower of Evil.  Not sure how to phrase it. There’s tremendous love in it but almost zero romance.

On 4/1/2023 at 1:08 PM, Murphy101 said:

Does anyone else find themselves enjoying the sibling relationships more than the romances in k-dramas?

Maybe it’s just because I lack sibling relationships or it’s the mama llama in me.

If you like siblings, and you don’t mind realistic dysfunctional relationships, My Liberation Notes is *amazing*.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 9:51 AM, Vintage81 said:

I completed watching The Extraordinary Attorney Woo. It was great!!

As an Autistic lawyer, I’m sorta terrified to watch this.  But I keep hearing it’s amazing… Maybe I’ll take the plunge?

(I’m afraid she’s going to be portrayed as a unicorn savant, and I know way too many Autistic lawyers to think we are particularly remarkable…)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

As an Autistic lawyer, I’m sorta terrified to watch this.  But I keep hearing it’s amazing… Maybe I’ll take the plunge?

(I’m afraid she’s going to be portrayed as a unicorn savant, and I know way too many Autistic lawyers to think we are particularly remarkable…)

Sigh. Right?

Idk… I think she is obsessed with whales and law, but I wouldn’t say she is a savant.  I could be wrong. Because I’m sure not any kind of savant either. 

35 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

I've never watched it - (for the same reason - I hate how autistics are portrayed. so unrealistic).  My understanding is the actress was hesitant because she wanted to do a respectful portrayal. (I liked her in The King's Affection.)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

12 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I've never watched it - (for the same reason - I hate how autistics are portrayed. so unrealistic).  My understanding is the actress was hesitant because she wanted to do a respectful portrayal. (I liked her in The King's Affection.)

I have no experience with autism, so unfortunately I can’t speak to whether or not she’s portrayed as a unicorn savant. I’m sorry! 

As @Murphy101 mentioned, the main character is obsessed with the law and whales…she talks about whales a lot. She also has a photographic memory. Other things I can mention…she didn’t like to be touched, she was very particular about her food, she was very organized, she had to do this counting thing prior to coming into a new room. Those are just some things I can think of as far as how they portrayed her. 

Each episode focuses on a new case her law firm is working on. The romance is on the lighter side. One of the episodes had another autistic client that was very different than Attorney Woo and there was emphasis on autism being a spectrum. I think watching the first few episodes, you’ll get a good idea of how the main character is portrayed, but the other people evolve over the show as they learn more about her. I don’t know if any of that helps, but let me know if you have any other questions. ☺️

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

I think the portrayal is a mix of good and bad. I’d say it’s very much a savant portrayal (and initially turned it off before even finishing the first episode before going back to it many weeks later) I found it most helpful to have a better understanding of where S Korean society currently stands as regards autism, and in that context, I think the show has been positive for autistic Koreans. I was annoyed by some things, but the main character is so likable that I got past the annoyances and really enjoyed it.  I do think your concerns may well be right on target, but that also it’s possible you could end up liking it anyway. It’s hard to explain.

• Like 4