Menu

I'm now a K-drama addict...

Jann in TX

On 8/12/2023 at 6:50 PM, Jann in TX said:

OK-- One more t-shirt for KCON next week...  I have a simple shiny heart on front with word STAY inside.  "Stay" is fandom name for Stray Kids and 'Stray Kids everywhere all around the world' is their slogan.

Shirt is really a nice light blue... this is the back of the shirt.

Just found out there will be a room/area dedicated to K-dramas... I may have found my happy place at the convention! 

Stray.jpg

I was perusing through the thread to get some inspiration for a new show to watch and I saw this post. ☺️ So I’m slowly getting into k-pop thanks to DD and @Jann in TX I just wanted to let you know that I’m loving Stray Kids right now! 🤣 Felix’s voice is….insane. 

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

I was perusing through the thread to get some inspiration for a new show to watch and I saw this post. ☺️ So I’m slowly getting into k-pop thanks to DD and @Jann in TX I just wanted to let you know that I’m loving Stray Kids right now! 🤣 Felix’s voice is….insane. 

I actually have my Stray Kids shirt on today...

I really like Stray Kids and Felix's deep DEEP voice-- but Ateez has stolen my heart.  LOVE LOVE LOVE the B-side unit songs (with 1-3 members) they recently released-- especially Its You, Everything (awesome!!) and Youth... Love the A-side "Crazy Form"-- it has over 100 MILLION views in just a few weeks-- such a FUN nonsense song about dancing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

I actually have my Stray Kids shirt on today...

I really like Stray Kids and Felix's deep DEEP voice-- but Ateez has stolen my heart.  LOVE LOVE LOVE the B-side unit songs (with 1-3 members) they recently released-- especially Its You, Everything (awesome!!) and Youth... Love the A-side "Crazy Form"-- it has over 100 MILLION views in just a few weeks-- such a FUN nonsense song about dancing.

I know of Ateez, but I haven’t ventured into their stuff yet. I’m sure I’ll get there! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

I know of Ateez, but I haven’t ventured into their stuff yet. I’m sure I’ll get there! 

Ateez songs follow a storyline!   Like Stray Kids they dance/sing but Ateez is more of a K-pop musical theater.  There are many websites that will teach/review the storyline/lore.  Every new song has a tiny bit of a hint of what will come next! 

Here is link to Crazy Form 

and lead singer Jongho's Everything-- this is a mini-Kdrama --such an emotional ballad!

For more insight on these groups check out Kingdom: Legendary War context (SKZ wins but close with Ateez).  These 2 groups are FRIENDS.

Edited by Jann in TX
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

Just finished Doom at Your Service. I probably shouldn't have watched this show so close to My Demon because the first few episodes I found myself comparing the two. 🤣 Oh well...I ended up liking this one. I feel like some of the middle episodes were really slow and the writing was muddy/unclear sometimes, but I really liked the lead couple. Some of the moments where they were experiencing grief and loss were very emotional. I liked all of the side characters too. Not to compare too much, but the ending on this one (vs. My Demon) was better in the sense that it was less ambiguous, so I liked that. 

I haven’t watched my Demon mostly bc the same Ml is in Sweet Home, and I sometimes think it’s hard to make the character switches when the same leads are in multiple shows I’m currently watching.

But I was surprised how much I liked Doom at your service. 

12 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

Now I'm impatiently waiting for all of the episodes of Dr. Slump to be released!!

Dh and I are caught up and really liking it. But we love Minmin (park hyung sik) since his The Heirs days. 

1 hour ago, Jann in TX said:

Ateez songs follow a storyline!   Like Stray Kids they dance/sing but Ateez is more of a K-pop musical theater.  There are many websites that will teach/review the storyline/lore.  Every new song has a tiny bit of a hint of what will come next! 

Here is link to Crazy Form 

and lead singer Jongho's Everthing-- this is a mini-Kdrama --such an emotional ballad!

For more insight on these groups check out Kingdom: Legendary War context (SKZ wins but close with Ateez).  These 2 groups are FRIENDS.

I had no idea. I treat Kpop just like any other music.  All I care about is if I like the song. I don’t usually follow the actual singer/groups much. But that’s a fascinating unique aspect! I’m going to have to check that out. What are Ateez fans called?

• Like 1

Currently watching but coming up on the last episodes for most of them:

Love Song of Illusion (viki)

Doctor Slump (Netflix)

Marry My Husband (prime)

Queen of Divorce (Kocowa - I’m thrilled this the ML is finally getting a ML role.)

Flex X Cop (Hulu)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I had no idea. I treat Kpop just like any other music.  All I care about is if I like the song. I don’t usually follow the actual singer/groups much. But that’s a fascinating unique aspect! I’m going to have to check that out. What are Ateez fans called?

Ateez fans are called Atiny  means Ateez plus destiny

I just started 'Mary my Husband'-- first episode was intense and heartbreaking-- but it looks like it will be fun (lightens up after first episode). It is on PRIME-- HATE HATE their subtitles and what is up with the commercials!  I'm joining the class action...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

Ha, I don't really follow the music but the fandom is a riot. My YouTube feed has been giving me tons of Stray Kids background stuff lately and I'm loving it. 

I've being trying to understand the whole concept of male idols flirting with each other and pretending to be in relationships for the fans (fanservice) while living in a very intolerant culture for actually being gay. It's strange and sad to me that some idols who are straight are encouraged to act this way because the fans love it, but actually openly dating women makes the fans mad (and is even forbidden under some contracts). It's also sad that idols who are gay can't openly date but sure can "pretend". I feel bad for them and find it all puzzling.

Maybe some of it has to do with fans being young and seeing the guys cuddle and flirt without the possibility (in the fan's mind) of things going further feels exciting but safe. There's this weird duality of hyper sexualization in the music and dancing by the idols but off stage they are encouraged to be more like cute, shy, naive, boys than men. I have watched fewer female groups but it seems similar, if not more so, with the women being very sexual in their clothing and dancing on stage and naive acting off. It feels exploitative to me. Own your sexuality or don't, but trying to have it both ways is the worst of both worlds. I can act very sexy for your gaze but I'm not allowed to actually enjoy sex because that's bad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, livetoread said:

Ha, I don't really follow the music but the fandom is a riot. My YouTube feed has been giving me tons of Stray Kids background stuff lately and I'm loving it. 

I've being trying to understand the whole concept of male idols flirting with each other and pretending to be in relationships for the fans (fanservice) while living in a very intolerant culture for actually being gay. ...

All of the above.

This happens to K-Drama idols as well-- at least until you are close to 40-- then it is OK if you get married...

Many K-Drama and K-Pop fans are delusional!   This is not just in Korea-- but world-wide.  Some of the idols have been physically attacked (or verbally attacked on social media)...

As far as K-pop goes-- these groups spend 90% or more of their time exclusively together and have for YEARS. They are FAMILY. 

• Like 2

fandom is indeed a riot from my spectator view. Lol

I've being trying to understand the whole concept of male idols flirting with each other and pretending to be in relationships for the fans (fanservice) while living in a very intolerant culture for actually being gay.

eh? I have not seen any idols acting gay. Like. Ever. Their view of friendship may come off as gay to westerners, but they are not actually flirting with each other. 

examples?  I actually find it refreshing that they can be close without the presumption of gayness/sex.

It's strange and sad to me that some idols who are straight are encouraged to act this way because the fans love it, but actually openly dating women makes the fans mad (and is even forbidden under some contracts).

Now that I completely agree with and I’m very happy to see more and more idols (and ever so slowly the companies they work for) actively discouraging that behavior and talk out against it. And more and more the loudest voices in their fandom are shouting against it too. 

It's also sad that idols who are gay can't openly date but sure can "pretend". I feel bad for them and find it all puzzling.

Again. I have not seen idols pretending to be gay. But I’m also not looking at or for BL anything either. 

Maybe some of it has to do with fans being young and seeing the guys cuddle and flirt without the possibility (in the fan's mind) of things going further feels exciting but safe.

Wait a sec.  I need examples. How westerners view flirting and sexuality is not the same across the globe. There are many cultures where men or women hold hands or hugging the same sex  is NOT presumptive as sexual.  It IS safe and doesn’t go anywhere because they are just close friends. 

There's this weird duality of hyper sexualization in the music and dancing by the idols but off stage they are encouraged to be more like cute, shy, naive, boys than men. I have watched fewer female groups but it seems similar, if not more so, with the women being very sexual in their clothing and dancing on stage and naive acting off. It feels exploitative to me.

Now this I agree with and totally see the same thing. I always feel bad for all the tape and glue those girls must have to keep everything so strategically in place.  But also, their view of modesty is just… not western. 

Own your sexuality or don't, but trying to have it both ways is the worst of both worlds. I can act very sexy for your gaze but I'm not allowed to actually enjoy sex because that's bad.

Hmm. Well I’m generally against objectification - so I get that. But also, how anyone is on a stage has absolutely nothing to with who they actually are as a person. But Branding matters irl.

I don’t entirely disagree with you on any of this but also, Korea is not New York.  Or even Oklahoma. They are allowed their own culture standards.  Not that it matters. I kinda feel like I should enjoy all the Korean culture I possibly can while I can bc it’s dying out swiftly. 🥺

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

All of the above.

This happens to K-Drama idols as well-- at least until you are close to 40-- then it is OK if you get married...

Many K-Drama and K-Pop fans are delusional!   This is not just in Korea-- but world-wide.  Some of the idols have been physically attacked (or verbally attacked on social media)...

right. I’m glad to see that the insanity is being more and more put down and less tolerated. 

6 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

As far as K-pop goes-- these groups spend 90% or more of their time exclusively together and have for YEARS. They are FAMILY. 

Right. This is true for many actors too. They have often shared dorms/apartments too. Never minding that many of the actors actually started as music idols.  They aren’t pretending to be gay.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

eh? I have not seen any idols acting gay. Like. Ever. Their view of friendship may come off as gay to westerners, but they are not actually flirting with each other. 

examples?  I actually find it refreshing that they can be close without the presumption of gayness/sex.

Oh boy, are you ready, lol? I know what you mean about close friendships and I understand that male friendships in Korea can be physically closer than male friendships often are in the US, but I'm talking about something that goes way beyond that. 

Best example I can think of off the top of my head is WooSan which is the relationship between Wooyoung and San in Ateez. Nothing about that strikes me as straight. Either it's real or they are seriously playing up the gay vibe on purpose. As for flirting, Stray Kids flirt shamelessly with each other, especially Han with everyone and Changbin with almost everyone too. 

Really if you watch videos of Kpop groups like Stray Kids, BTS, and Ateez off stage, there are lots of examples.

I'm not saying that all idols act like that, but there is a clear element there that tries to pass itself off as "friendship" but really speaks to a deeper relationship that may or may not be real. There is no way men in Korea act like some of these guys do, even with the higher tolerance for touching and affection between men. Do I believe straight male friends in Korea sleep in the same bed at times, slap each other's butts, and hug? Sure. Do they cuddle in bed while being filmed? Rub each other's thighs? Get matching tattoos? Exchange rings? Seriously doubt it.

Now I'm the first to admit that I'm hardly a long time observer of Kpop, and what I see could very well be because of what is fed me, but I've done a little research and it seems to be a thing. Fans seem to like imagining them as couples for whatever reason, and the idols know it's a way to get attention from fans. Listen to the screams when there is interaction between favorite "couples" onstage or at fan meets, or when the choreo is something sexy between two guys. It's tapping into something beyond friendship whether real or not.

There was a very similar dynamic with One Direction when they were popular. Fans put them in relationships, and those members teased around that.

Edited by livetoread

56 minutes ago, livetoread said:

Fans seem to like imagining them as couples for whatever reason, and the idols know it's a way to get attention from fans. Listen to the screams when there is interaction between favorite "couples" onstage or at fan meets, or when the choreo is something sexy between two guys. It's tapping into something beyond friendship whether real or not.

This is definitely very much a thing. One of mine was deep into kpop fandom and so much of it online revolved around shipping band members with eachother, and fan art and fan fic very often delves into making these relationships very fleshed out in ways that were pretty explicit. The dynamic of the obsession with that was odd to me, but it was strongly a thing, and I agree it seemed like some bands would play into it on their tv shows. I didn’t get the idea it was likely genuine in most cases, but was done because the fans wanted to see it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, livetoread said:

Oh boy, are you ready, lol? I know what you mean about close friendships and I understand that male friendships in Korea can be physically closer than male friendships often are in the US, but I'm talking about something that goes way beyond that. 

Best example I can think of off the top of my head is WooSan which is the relationship between Wooyoung and San in Ateez. Nothing about that strikes me as straight.

hmm. I’m certainly not a heavy purveyor but it’s never phased me at all. 

Either it's real or they are seriously playing up the gay vibe on purpose. As for flirting, Stray Kids flirt shamelessly with each other, especially Han with everyone and Changbin with almost everyone too. 

Really if you watch videos of Kpop groups like Stray Kids, BTS, and Ateez off stage, there are lots of examples.

To be honest I think most off stage anything anywhere is an example of things people just have no business watching much less making presumptions about.  And that’s not even getting into sexuality. 

I'm not saying that all idols act like that, but there is a clear element there that tries to pass itself off as "friendship" but really speaks to a deeper relationship that may or may not be real.

idk.  I think it’s friendship. I think it’s sad that the only deeper relationships they seem to be allowed is sexual. Can’t be deep close friendship.  I think that’s a sad statement about societal view of relationships. And it must be very difficult to constantly have to live knowing they are only seen in such a 1 dimensional sexual way.   

There is no way men in Korea act like some of these guys do, even with the higher tolerance for touching and affection between men.

In private? Idk. I don’t think most men do not display it publicly but most men also (I hope) don’t have cameras filming them while sleeping and everything else 24/7. 

Do I believe straight male friends in Korea sleep in the same bed at times, slap each other's butts, and hug? Sure. Do they cuddle in bed while being filmed? Rub each other's thighs? Get matching tattoos? Exchange rings? Seriously doubt it.

um. White men do that. Well I wouldn’t about know about the bed cuddles and thigh rubbing. (Like sleeping in puppy puddles or like um 🫣?) 

But the rest isn’t all that uncommon actually. Especially for younger men.

Now I'm the first to admit that I'm hardly a long time observer of Kpop, and what I see could very well be because of what is fed me, but I've done a little research and it seems to be a thing. Fans seem to like imagining them as couples for whatever reason, and the idols know it's a way to get attention from fans. Listen to the screams when there is interaction between favorite "couples" onstage or at fan meets, or when the choreo is something sexy between two guys. It's tapping into something beyond friendship whether real or not.

yeah now that I think is nasty. Like the fans are cheering their favorite chippendales or something. Eww. I don’t like that at all. For men or women performers.  I have noticed that.  

There was a very similar dynamic with One Direction when they were popular. Fans put them in relationships, and those members teased around that.

Again. I think it’s terribly sad that all relationships must be boiled down to sex.  Can’t be too close or it’s gotta be sexual. SMH. 

I’ll be paying more attention to see if now that you mention it, I notice it more.

I will say I am glad BTS is in the military. 1.5-2 years off 24/7 camera has got to be healthier for them, even if the only way they can get it is in the military duty.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

To be honest I think most off stage anything anywhere is an example of things people just have no business watching much less making presumptions about.  And that’s not even getting into sexuality. 

But where would Kpop be without it? It seems to me the industry very heavily encourages the development of parasocial relationships with fans. Idols have a heavy presence offstage with their live chats and fan meets and their postings. They themselves post so much about their lives and their interactions with each other for fans. They go on variety shows and play ridiculous games in ridiculous clothing and act out scenarios all to encourage that parasocial thing and stay popular. So much is expected from idols offstage but at the same time they have to act within a heavily controlled, tightly prescribed way that includes in some instances playing up the deep, close relationships for fans.

As for close, deep friendship versus a different vibe, all I can say is of course I can't know for sure, especially given cultural differences, but I have my opinions anyway, lol. To me it is obvious that some idols are pulling for a different vibe whether real or gaybaiting. If you don't watch very many offstage videos and especially avoid bl stuff, my guess is your feed just isn't showing you those interactions while mine is because I'm interested in the dynamic.

I mean seriously, given percentages, some of these guys are actually gay, and while I agree deep close friendships shouldn't be assumed to be gay, they shouldn't be assumed not to be as well. What bugs me is the teasing and purposeful suggestiveness they do to encourage fans to put them in those relationships in a society that actually doesn't tolerate it. 

I mean this is a dom/sub vibe, and I'm sure they know it: https://youtube.com/shorts/ov0uprqxypU?si=yHZ7UJ9OtRuMRWgk

17 minutes ago, livetoread said:

But where would Kpop be without it? It seems to me the industry very heavily encourages the development of parasocial relationships with fans. Idols have a heavy presence offstage with their live chats and fan meets and their postings. They themselves post so much about their lives and their interactions with each other for fans. They go on variety shows and play ridiculous games in ridiculous clothing and act out scenarios all to encourage that parasocial thing and stay popular. So much is expected from idols offstage but at the same time they have to act within a heavily controlled, tightly prescribed way that includes in some instances playing up the deep, close relationships for fans.

oh I agree and I’m not a fan of that aspect. 

As for close, deep friendship versus a different vibe, all I can say is of course I can't know for sure, especially given cultural differences, but I have my opinions anyway, lol.

Opinions that can’t be based on any genuinely knowledge though. No matter what the fans think they are close to these people - they aren’t. 

To me it is obvious that some idols are pulling for a different vibe whether real or gaybaiting. If you don't watch very many offstage videos and especially avoid bl stuff, my guess is your feed just isn't showing you those interactions while mine is because I'm interested in the dynamic.

I’m sure some idols are. Same as some actors/idols anywhere looking to raise their popularity rates. 

I mean seriously, given percentages, some of these guys are actually gay, and while I agree deep close friendships shouldn't be assumed to be gay, they shouldn't be assumed not to be as well.

what do you mean by given percentages? The percentage of homosexuals is not a high percentage. It would make more statistical sense to presume they aren’t gay than that they are. Kind of like while some horses are zebras the vast majority are not.  Not denying their are in fact zebras, just that it doesn’t make sense to presume it everywhere all the time affection is shown.

For me it’s not even about presuming gay to not. It’s about presuming sexual relationship or not. Straight or otherwise. 

What bugs me is the teasing and purposeful suggestiveness they do to encourage fans to put them in those relationships in a society that actually doesn't tolerate it. 

I mean this is a dom/sub vibe, and I'm sure they know it: https://youtube.com/shorts/ov0uprqxypU?si=yHZ7UJ9OtRuMRWgk

What the hecken was that even about? It looked more like bullying to me than sexual.  I don’t know what they are saying and I have no context. It seemed like guy on left put his arm over guy on right to show him his phone? And then after getting shoved off he keeps his phone away? Idk what was going on. It was indeed weird. 

but not nearly as weird as the combox. What. The. Heck.  That was all kinds of messed up way more than anything in the video. 😳 

Hey -- why don't we go back to having this a K-Drama thread-- it has so many good recommendations I would hate to have to make a new one!

Someone else can start a K-Pop/idol/sexuality thread if you want... 

I've started watching "Marry My Husband"-- really liking it so far-- I would also note that this is probably NOT for teens...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

Hey -- why don't we go back to having this a K-Drama thread-- it has so many good recommendations I would hate to have to make a new one!

I've started watching "Marry My Husband"-- really liking it so far-- I would also note that this is probably NOT for teens...

Yes! Sorry! 😬

I started Alchemy of Souls yesterday. Looks like it’s going to be a looooonnnngggg journey, so if y’all don’t hear from me for a while you know what’s going on. 🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

No problem. I’m not really up arguing anything. It was just casual convo for me that can go elsewhere. 🙂

Oh yeah. Um. None of the latest viewing for me is for anyone who wants to avoid suicide or blood scenes. 

I just finished Marry My His and last night. It ended well enough. I liked Perfect Marriage Revenge better, but I was surprised to enjoy both that are so similar but so different too. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Captivating the King (Netflix)I personally loved this one-- similar premise as The Kings Affection-- but even though I love Rowoon-- this one is better!  Ending was rushed (typical) but satisfying.   It stars Jo Jung-suk (my favorite from Hospital Playlist).

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 11:22 AM, Vintage81 said:

I started Alchemy of Souls yesterday. Looks like it’s going to be a looooonnnngggg journey, so if y’all don’t hear from me for a while you know what’s going on. 🤣

I did it…I finished Alchemy of Souls! At times it was a bit tedious, but I’m so glad I watched this show because I really loved it!!

I loved the setting and the story of the mages, the fight scenes were all superb, and all of the characters were fantastic. Shout out to Gwigu the dog and the turtle…loved them!! The couples were also all very cute. 

At first I wasn’t sure about the female lead change going into season 2, but I didn’t mind it. I’m probably one of the few people who enjoyed season 2 slightly more than season 1, for several reasons. One being that I think the couple in season 2 had better chemistry with each other. While I think the season 1 couple felt bonded to each other, I didn’t get as much of a romantic vibe from them. Also, I really liked the more angry, kick-ass version Jang Uk in season 2. 

Someday I’ll give this one a rewatch because I know it’s something I can enjoy over and over again. ☺️

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I finished watching Divorce Attorney Shin. This one was okay, nothing spectacular. Maybe I had a "k-drama hangover" from Alchemy of Souls, but I was kind of bored with this show at times. It did have a good story about friendship. There was really no romance (a very small bit with some side characters). I did like the character of the second attorney in the office...he was funny.  

On 2/19/2024 at 9:17 AM, Vintage81 said:

Now I'm impatiently waiting for all of the episodes of Dr. Slump to be released!!

I finally started this last night. Only 3 episodes in, but already loving it. Love these two main lead actors together!

I finished Dr. Slump! Really cute couple, loved the family and side characters. I feel like the first half of the show was stronger than the second half (the medical accident storyline got kind of weird), but overall I enjoyed this show. It had a nice, happy ending. I really loved the mom in this one! She wasn't perfect, but she really cared about her kids and had a lovely bond with them. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 9:38 AM, Vintage81 said:

I finished Dr. Slump! Really cute couple, loved the family and side characters. I feel like the first half of the show was stronger than the second half (the medical accident storyline got kind of weird), but overall I enjoyed this show. It had a nice, happy ending. I really loved the mom in this one! She wasn't perfect, but she really cared about her kids and had a lovely bond with them. 

She tended to take that kind of mom role. And I too love her characters for it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Tale of the Nine-Tailed last night.

I think I was in some sort of emotional state or something because I cried. Not just a tear, but tears! Thank goodness my DH didn't walk in on me and start asking questions because if I had to start explaining to him about nine-tailed foxes and serpents, he'd have probably thought I was nuts! Ha! 🤣

I really liked all of the folklore and fantastical elements of this show. I also enjoyed each of the characters and their stories. I have mixed feelings about the couple...loved the actors, but as a couple they were kind of meh. The star of the show, for me, was Kim Beom, who played the brother. He was great! I don't know how to describe the ending. In some ways it was happy, but it was also sad. I understand it was because everything went full circle, so I guess I'm okay with it, but it still made me cry.

ETA…I saw there was a second season which is them going back in time (or something). It’s on Amazon Prime, which I have, so I think I’ll check it out. 

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 1

I finished Dr Slump-- it was cute-- loved the leads could tell they had fun as they have been friends forever IRL.

I'm de-stressing so I'm re-watching one of my all-time favorite series "Dr Romantic"...  it is a medical drama with great cast--about a once-famous Dr who is now at a rural hospital.  He is 'romancing' (ENCOURAGING) the younger Drs to become the best they can be as they overcome past hurts...  I finished season 1-- cant wait to start season 2 this weekend (a few years between seasons 1 and 2 but season 3 follows immediately after season 2.

I know it is on a few platforms-- I used/will use Viki for season 1 and season 2-- forgot who has season 3...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

I finished Dr Slump-- it was cute-- loved the leads could tell they had fun as they have been friends forever IRL.

I'm de-stressing so I'm re-watching one of my all-time favorite series "Dr Romantic"...  it is a medical drama with great cast--about a once-famous Dr who is now at a rural hospital.  He is 'romancing' (ENCOURAGING) the younger Drs to become the best they can be as they overcome past hurts...  I finished season 1-- cant wait to start season 2 this weekend (a few years between seasons 1 and 2 but season 3 follows immediately after season 2.

I know it is on a few platforms-- I used/will use Viki for season 1 and season 2-- forgot who has season 3...

I think it’s either Hulu or Prime that had season 3

15 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

I think I was in some sort of emotional state or something because I cried. Not just a tear, but tears! Thank goodness my DH didn't walk in on me and start asking questions because if I had to start explaining to him about nine-tailed foxes and serpents, he'd have probably thought I was nuts! Ha! 🤣

I really liked all of the folklore and fantastical elements of this show. I also enjoyed each of the characters and their stories. I have mixed feelings about the couple...loved the actors, but as a couple they were kind of meh. The star of the show, for me, was Kim Bum, who played the brother. He was great! I don't know how to describe the ending. In some ways it was happy, but it was also sad. I understand it was because everything went full circle, so I guess I'm okay with it, but it still made me cry.

ETA…I saw there was a second season which is them going back in time (or something). It’s on Amazon Prime, which I have, so I think I’ll check it out. 

Dh and I both loved this series and enjoyed season 2. Kim Beum is one of my favorite actors and he did his first ever cameo in a romcom last week for Wedding Impossible - he was the best thing about the entire show which I otherwise wouldn’t recommend. 

I’m currently watching Queen of Tears on Netflix. Bring  your box of tissues and hang on for the emotional roller coaster.  Excellent show so far. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

Dh and I both loved this series and enjoyed season 2. Kim Beum is one of my favorite actors and he did his first ever cameo in a romcom last week for Wedding Impossible - he was the best thing about the entire show which I otherwise wouldn’t recommend. 

I can't watch Wedding Impossible since it's on Hulu, but I did read about his cameo, so that's exciting. Kind of a bummer the show sounds like a stinker, but at least the cameo part was good! 

9 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I’m currently watching Queen of Tears on Netflix. Bring  your box of tissues and hang on for the emotional roller coaster.  Excellent show so far. 

I've been waiting to start this show until all of the episodes (or almost all of the episodes) are out. It's Okay to Not Be Okay is one of my all-time favorites, so I'm really looking forward to Kim Soo-hyun in this one. 

26 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

I can't watch Wedding Impossible since it's on Hulu, but I did read about his cameo, so that's exciting. Kind of a bummer the show sounds like a stinker, but at least the cameo part was good! 

I'm watching Wedding Impossible on Viki...

50 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

I'm watching Wedding Impossible on Viki...

I did finally setup a Viki account!!! At this point, though, I just have a free version. I haven't decided if I want the standard or plus pass yet. 

4 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

I did finally setup a Viki account!!! At this point, though, I just have a free version. I haven't decided if I want the standard or plus pass yet. 

I have the Plus-- I tend to watch from Viki the most then Netflix.

Viki is very easy to download and view offline...

• Like 1

Dh and I enjoyed Dr Slump.

I stopped watching FlexCop after episode 10 iirc. Idk why. Bored? Fun fact. The ML in FlexCop is married with kid(s?) to the FL in Dr Slump irl. 

Queen of Divorce was fun.

Now I’m watching Queen of Tears. And. Dadgum. It is. Today the 9th episode dropped and it’s the first one I didn’t need tissues for.  So far it’s a fabulous show.  You’ll cry and laugh and cry again.  And it hasn’t had a slow moment yet. I’m watching the Taiwanese version of Fated to Love You to recover from watching the Queen of Tears episodes. FTLY is one of my fav kdramas and I’ve watched the Japanese and the Chinese versions.

QoT is having a LOT of stunning cameos and Easter eggs from other dramas, namely Crash Landing on You.

These two are the only things I’ve had a chance to watch lately.  

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2024 at 7:05 AM, Vintage81 said:

I finished Tale of the Nine-Taled: 1938 and I loved it! I actually thought it was better than the first season. I really liked the new female lead actress played by Kim So-Yeon. (I'm sorry to Jo Bo-Ah, but I did not miss her at all.) I really enjoyed the chaotic relationship between the three mountain gods. Of course, the complicated relationship between the fox brothers was entertaining and my favorite younger fox brother was again great! Plus he got the romance story this time...with a mermaid!! 🥰 I thought the time period of 1938 was an interesting choice too. I did get a little teary-eyed during the last episode, but not nearly as bad as season one. I don't typically wish for more seasons of a show, but I definitely feel like this one needs another. Time travel stories are really hard to resolve and there are still a lot of open ended questions here so I hope there's more to come. 

Edited by Vintage81