Menu

Prayer request for missing puppy; sad update

MercyA

A few years ago in our co-op, there was a family which included a teenage daughter I'll call Judith. No one ever shared a diagnosis with me (and I don't know that one was ever sought) but I strongly suspect Judith has autism. In any case, Judith told me many times over the years about how much she wanted a dog.

Fast forward to last night, when I saw Judith at [an event] with her very own Bernese Mountain Dog puppy. She is likely in her early 20's and I felt so happy for her.

Today I saw her mother working at a store in town and mentioned how nice it was that Judith finally has a puppy. Her mom said with some annoyance, "Oh, she's lost the dog already." I asked what happened, and her mom said the dog ran off. I asked if the dog was kept outside. Mom said, no, the dog was in Judith's apartment with the doors locked, but when Judith woke up in the morning, the puppy had disappeared. What in the world. It sounds like theft. They did report it to the police.

Also, Mom shared with me that someone has been harassing Judith in her apartment complex--moving the decorations outside her door down into the stairwell and then running off and slamming a door shut elsewhere in the building. Possibly just kids but who knows?

Anyway...we have dog fighting rings around here and also plenty of just plain unscrupulous people. Please pray that the little puppy will be kept safe and returned to Judith. Thanks so much.

Edited by MercyA
  • Sad 17

just saw this, will pray! I do think that the dog is more valuable to be sold, than used in dog fighting. I'd be checking classifieds on craigslist - someone might be trying to sell the dog. Also, if there are any neighborhood facebook groups, postig the missing puppy on there may get good results. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

just saw this, will pray! I do think that the dog is more valuable to be sold, than used in dog fighting. I'd be checking classifieds on craigslist - someone might be trying to sell the dog. Also, if there are any neighborhood facebook groups, postig the missing puppy on there may get good results. 

Yeah. Bernese Mountain  dogs are not exactly a fighting breed. But they are expensive. 

16 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

The pup wouldn't be used for fighting, but as a bait dog to train the fighting dogs.

Yeah, but a cheap mutt puppy can be used for bait. A purbred Bernese Mountain Dog would be more profitable sold for cash. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Yes, I agree that the dog is very valuable to be sold. I checked craigslist last night and will check again now.

There are two local lost/found dog pages on Facebook and the situation has been shared there and I see it has been reshared many times, so many eyes looking out.

• Like 1

Just now, MercyA said:

Yes, I agree that the dog is very valuable to be sold. I checked craigslist last night and will check again now.

There are two local lost/found dog pages on Facebook and the situation has been shared there and I see it has been reshared many times, so many eyes looking out.

I'd also join/check if there is a state or local bernese mountain dog group on facebook where dogs are sold/breeders post. 

Still praying for her. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Same. How does a dog disappear through the locked door of an apartment? 

Depending on how she is, I wonder if “someone” offered to walk the dog and didn’t return. Unfortunately, it happens especially to the disabled and elderly. And they can be embarrassed it happened to them.  Or was mom involved in the disappearance.

On 6/19/2022 at 8:47 PM, itsheresomewhere said:

Depending on how she is, I wonder if “someone” offered to walk the dog and didn’t return. Unfortunately, it happens especially to the disabled and elderly. And they can be embarrassed it happened to them.  Or was mom involved in the disappearance.

I also do wonder if something like that happened. Especially because she had the dog at the [event] that night.

I would say that Judith's level of disability is moderate. She can engage in conversations and function in group classes. She worked at a store. But I know sometimes she would leave the house and just take off when she was younger. She had a very, very sheltered life and I would not be surprised if she trusts people too much.

I don't think Mom is involved. She is very different but I don't think she would do something with the dog and then lie about it. 

Dad bought Judith the dog. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Junie said:

Does the mother have a key to the apartment? Or anyone else?

So sad for Judith. 😞

I am so sad for her too. It's terrible. 😞 She needs a companion and I can only imagine how excited she was about her dog. And of course I am very worried about Puppy.

I don't know if anyone else has a key.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The actual disappearance seems like such a mystery. I mean, a puppy doesn't disappear out of a locked apartment. 

Could Judith have accidentally left the door open for a minute and the puppy ran out, and now she's too embarrassed to admit that she lost the dog? I only wonder about this because her mom seems so unsympathetic, and maybe Judith didn't want to admit what actually happened because she knew her mom would never let her live it down. 

Whatever happened, I hope she gets her puppy back, and that he is okay!!!

I definitely agree with @gardenmom5 about the microchip. I would be surprised if the pup isn't microchipped, and if someone found him and decided to keep him, they might bring him to the vet to get checked out. (It's a good idea to bring Lost Puppy flyers to local vets' offices, too, if that hasn't already been done.)

Edited by Catwoman
typo!
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Catwoman said:

The actual disappearance seems like such a mystery. I mean, a puppy doesn't disappear out of a locked apartment. 

Could Judith have accidentally left the door open for a minute and the puppy ran out, and now she's too embarrassed to admit that she lost the dog? I only wonder about this because her mom seems so unsympathetic, and maybe Judith didn't want to admit what actually happened because she knew her mom would never let her live it down. 

Whatever happened, I hope she gets her puppy back, and that he is okay!!!

I definitely agree with @gardenmom5 about the microchip. I would be surprised if the pup isn't microchipped, and if someone found him and decided to keep him, they might bring him to the vet to get checked out. (It's a good idea to bring Lost Puppy flyers to local vets' offices, too, if that hasn't already been done.)

Not just the vets nearby - but further away as well.

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry, all, not to have better news, but the puppy is still missing.

Our town has a group of very dedicated animal lovers who keep a sharp eye out for missing pets. I feel certain that if the puppy were just lost somehow, he would have been spotted and returned days ago. The group also reports deceased animals on the road, so I doubt anything like that happened. Someone would have seen him.

I feel sure he was stolen. 😞 Praying he will be returned to his rightful owner through some sleuthing. I hope he was microchipped. I will ask Judith's mom next time I see her. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Sad 5

Wonderful news!!! I just talked to my mom and she talked to Judith's mother yesterday. The police know where the puppy is! There was someone from a neighboring state in our town for a wedding when the puppy went missing. That person has been confirmed to have the dog and has not sold him.

A police officer from our local state police force took a special interest in the case and told the family he would get the dog back. Somehow he found out where the dog was. He is working with the other state's police force to retrieve the dog.

Praise the Lord!!! I am so happy about this. 🙂 🙂 🙂 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

• MercyA changed the title to Prayer request for missing puppy; GREAT UPDATE!!!
13 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Wonderful news!!! I just talked to my mom and she talked to Judith's mother yesterday. The police know where the puppy is! There was someone from a neighboring state in our town for a wedding when the puppy went missing. That person has been confirmed to have the dog and has not sold him.

A police officer from our local state police force took a special interest in the case and told the family he would get the dog back. Somehow he found out where the dog was. He is working with the other state's police force to retrieve the dog.

Praise the Lord!!! I am so happy about this. 🙂 🙂 🙂 

The nerve of that wedding guest! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm dying to know the whole story, y'all.

The lengths I will go to to satisfy the Hive's (and my own) curiosity include: stopping by the store where Judith's mom works to ask her for the details (twice; the store was closed early both times!); driving by Judith's mom's house like a stalker, hoping to see her outside; and slowing down while driving by Judith's apartment complex, hoping to see HER outside. 🙂 

When I find out more, I'll fill you in! I'm really hoping the next time I see Judith, she'll be walking her puppy again! 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7

• MercyA changed the title to Prayer request for missing puppy; sad update

I am so sorry to be bringing such a sad update to this story. I know several of you were especially concerned, including @Catwoman and others. I wasn't able to find out more information easily, because Judith's mother was in another state for some time visiting a new grandchild.

My mother talked to Judith's mother recently. They were never able to recover the puppy. The police were either wrong about where the puppy was or when they finally got to the property there was no puppy there. I'm not quite clear on which it was. 

I hope that someone would only steal such a valuable dog to resell him or her to another home, and I hope that home is a good one for the puppy's sake. 

Judith of course was heartbroken, but in happier news, she has a new puppy, a Chihuahua. Her mom said she really enjoys carrying the Chihuahua around with her and she loves her Chi very much. 

Thank you all for your prayers and concern. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Sad 8

Thank you for the update -- I wish it would have been happier news, but since the missing puppy was such an expensive breed, I would be willing to bet that he was sold to someone as a pet and not used for nefarious purposes. At least that's what I hope happened!

I'm glad Judith has a new puppy, and I hope she is able to keep this one safe. I'm sure she will be extra-careful!

• Like 1

I just got home from running errands, and after not seeing Judith's mom for a couple months, I saw her tonight.

She said they know with certainty who took the puppy. He has blocked all his friends from contacting him (via Facebook and phone? I'm not quite sure) and has left his previous residence. Judith's family has filed an order with the state police saying they want to press charges if and when he turns up. She said they don't know what he did with the puppy. 😞 Still hoping puppy was sold.

Judith has friends still watching on Facebook Marketplace and other places for Bernese Mountain Dog puppies for sale, but all the pics they've sent her so far have not been him.

• Sad 1