Menu

Teen fashion question (shoes)

teachermom2834

My 14 yo dd likes to be cute and comfy but neither of us pay much attention to what is current or really care. We have never put any focus on outward appearances beyond what makes us feel good.  Yet, we do recognize a value in fitting in to some degree and not being total outliers - so that is the background. 

She is starting Catholic high school for 9th grade in the fall. The uniform is pretty set for us (yay!). It is standard Catholic school style. A plaid skort or khaki pants with a button down blouse or school polo when it is hot. The issue is the shoes. Some days athletic shoes are allowed and she will wear her black Converse that have been her standard shoe choice for years. But other days they have to wear dress shoes with the uniform and then “brown or black dress shoes” is what is required. 

I planned to figure out what the style was from pictures on social media but I never figured that out. We don’t know anyone to ask. We went to an open house and some of the girls were wearing Dansko clogs (with the closed back whatever that style is called) and that seemed like an odd choice for high schoolers so I guess you never know what styles will catch on. We are in the southeast, for regional reference. 

Dd is girly but not high fashion. She likes to do braids and fun things with her long hair and she will probably opt for the skort more than the pants option. She wears some light makeup sometimes. So she is feminine but casual if that makes sense- just to give an idea of what kind of style she normally likes. 

So- if you have a teen or are around teens what type of shoe would be worn with a plaid school uniform? I know what I would wear and I know what I wore 30 years ago…so no offense but I am specifically asking for opinions from people with current relevant experience 🙂

When my boys were starting a private religious high school with uniforms (plaid skirts for girls was an option, as well as pants), the principal said on the school tour that shoe styles varied, and most students seems to love comfort - like slide on plastic sandles.  They come in all kinds of colours and styles. My boys just wore runners. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Thanks 1

I think Docs or a knock off are a good choice. I can also see why Dansko clogs might be good for this, they are also really blocky but comfortable and good for walking.   

what i would do is let her wear something old, something of mine, or maybe something super cheap thrifted for a week or 2 and let her decide.  It would stink to get something as expensive as docs or dansko and have her not happy with the choice in short order.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, catz said:

I think Docs or a knock off are a good choice. I can also see why Dansko clogs might be good for this, they are also really blocky but comfortable and good for walking.   

what i would do is let her wear something old, something of mine, or maybe something super cheap thrifted for a week or 2 and let her decide.  It would stink to get something as expensive as docs or dansko and have her not happy with the choice in short order.  

Yes. I was definitely thinking of getting something cheap until she figures out what she really wants. We are doing the same thing with the uniform. Buying just the minimum until she decides what she really likes and wants to wear the most. 

I am also super skeptical how much the dress code is enforced. The published dress code and any pictures I see really don’t match up. So I don’t get the impression anyone there wants to play dress code police. So they might really get to wear athletic shoes almost all of the time. So we are trying to wait and see on alot of things. 

Thanks!

• Like 2

My girls like ankle boots for dressing up.

I vote for finding one pair of dressier shoes that she would be happy with, knowing that there will be a variety of styles worn by the girls in the school. I agree with finding something in a resale store inexpensively. Then, you will have the budget to get her something new if she wants something else later on. She may end up wanting casual shoes in addition to her black Converse. My girls are loving white leatherlike sneakers, and I think that is the current popular style.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just like what others have said, Doc Martens or other combat boots. White trainers but more the fashion kind than the running ones are popular, though for teens maybe chunky white ones are fine. Chunky black loafers so with thicker heels seem to be in right now. DD’s go-to shoes are either Docs or converse. She didn’t even have dress shoes until last weekend when she had to do to an event with more semi-formal attire. We tried heels, nope that didn’t work. But espadrilles were perfect for her, some height from the heel part but comfort because of the shape of the heel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The girls around me seem to be wearing solid while leather tennis shoes. I see lots of adidas, Nike, and puma.  I know there are higher end brands too, but they all look the same to me.  I know those aren’t dressy, but that’s what I see them wearing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My girls and their friends wear the 90s-throwback black loafers or Mary Janes with the chunky platform heel. Idk that I’d want to walk around school in that all day, though. Converse, boots (various types but also Docs), and slip-on Vans are popular in my kids’ friend group. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 8:38 AM, teachermom2834 said:

I am also super skeptical how much the dress code is enforced. The published dress code and any pictures I see really don’t match up. So I don’t get the impression anyone there wants to play dress code police. So they might really get to wear athletic shoes almost all of the time. So we are trying to wait and see on alot of things. 

Thanks!

As a previous private school teacher, very wise.  They should give grace for the first few weeks, especially for new students.

If something appeals to her - like if she likes the look of the Docs or the mary janes, then she should just go with it. There won't be one look and whatever she likes, someone else will too, or they won't but she'll be herself and that'll be a look too. If she's unsure and is more interested in fitting in, I'd urge her to get something super cheap and then plan on new shoes in mid-fall so she can have a better idea what her personal style will be.

• Like 1