Menu

Updates 2023 (job hunt etc)

heartlikealion

I graduated today!! We built a little bench (so that’s my second one lol). I got to use 2 different kinds of miter saws. I want one! Carpentry is where my heart is so I dunno maybe I would still pursue it even though electrician work pays better. The 9 weeks class doesn’t meet til Sept and it requires face-to-face time Mon-Thursday so I dunno if I’ll get there. But I have time to sort things out. 

The local news appeared so I might find a clip online later lol 

9C603124-951F-4F14-B8BF-0978123A5443.jpeg

41404D3A-335E-4A3D-9CD8-AAB0863EB687.jpeg

60086B5E-6FF7-4722-B501-8365628E5701.jpeg

69D3B43E-E7AB-4669-8ABE-98D3EA08A3AA.jpeg

Edited by heartlikealion
Added pic of bench
  • Like 42
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, ladies!! You actually motivate me a lot. 🙂 My dad isn’t the most supportive about this journey. I found it amusing he was concerned about me lifting lumber like that was the deal breaker to fret over  (I’m sure there are greater obstacles). Going to the gym so I’ll build muscles, though 💪 haha. I went the other night. 

They told me to sign up for the CPR course (next weekend) even though I was wishy washy on childcare. The class has a lot of interest so may have to turn a few away. I am glad I discussed this openly so I got my application in on time. I do have a back up plan for dd but had hoped to set up a playdate or something since class is so long. I will most likely not be turned away because I have no marks against me (missing class, assignments).  

Your personal background/experience will determine job opportunities but since I don’t have that I probably would need the 9 week course and then another after that to become an apprentice. The 9 week course is a pre requisite for certain other ones. Funny thing — one of the women employees (not my instructors) has a spouse in a band with my friend and another friend’s wife. I still have connections here. I keep building my support network. I’ll talk to her or someone else and see if they can explain what I should do for my personal path. Loosely — I’m wondering if I should consider a PT job here when I move here. I dunno, like construction adjacent. I do hate the smell in Lowe’s & HD. Lol but never say never. I know it sounds backwards but I probably need the apartment first. 

Each county operates differently on household size/income requirements for affordable apartments. I got turned away from one close to the kids this week. I am moving up the waiting list at another (in my mind, anyway. She said she’s tossed some apps for discontinued ph. numbers etc) at one 25 min from the kids. They told me “be ready” when they call. I was able to fill out their form quickly because I had the 8.05 financial form from court to refer to lol. It asked about retirement, savings etc. I’ll get all my documents from my house this weekend when I go home. They need to see the kids’ birth certificates, for example if/when they call. 

• Like 10

57 minutes ago, freesia said:

I hope it’s not weird that I’m so incredibly proud of you!  Thanks for sharing your journey. I love the pictures! Are you qualified for anything now? Or do you need to do a nine weeks class yet?

Weeeeeell I got the 3 year forklift certificate (works on certain models) so possibly a warehouse job might hire me but I’d need practice driving. And the OSHA 10 which is important. 9 weeks class you do the OSHA 30. I joked that it’s short for something else (OH SH**). Everyone hates it lol 

• Like 15

Spoke to a local carpenter and he said you need skills/on the job training. Classes won’t do it (in his opinion). Then they essentially said go be a welder (not interested). 
Sigh. 

In my fantasy I own a side business where I make things like door hangers, holiday props for the yard (you know like a flat nativity scene or snowman or pumpkin made of wood you prop up in grass)… but the headache of starting up a business, separating business expenses etc makes my head spin. Maybe I can seek out someone that’s done it (not interested in Etsy) and get feedback. A miter saw and dremel are actually cheaper than I thought. But you kinda need a shop/house/garage… not an apartment. I need to do more research. 

Call me crazy but Crunch fitness just put their enrollment fee down to 5¢ so I signed up. They have better hours (open 24 hrs) than the YMCA (membership I have through my job and can use in addition to Crunch til it expires). I’m doing this for my mental health as much if not more than physical. 

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Perhaps you're looking for cabinet making, rather than carpentry?

Your side hustle idea doesn't require qualifications, though. 

I was using carpenter as a broad term for it all. I don’t know if there’s a different term to specify. Yes, I’d be open to that. But it does sound like it’s hard to gauge if I’d be any better off financially (as I am now under the impression you’re not often gonna get medical benefits as a mere apprentice or such). 

• Like 3

How are your handywoman skills? Maybe a local handyman could find a woman on staff a selling point.. I don't know about where you are, but there's more of that sort of thing happening here these days, women feeling safer hiring another woman.

We live in different jurisdictions, so I'm only tossing out an idea. I don't know what's practical.

3 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

How are your handywoman skills? Maybe a local handyman could find a woman on staff a selling point.. I don't know about where you are, but there's more of that sort of thing happening here these days, women feeling safer hiring another woman.

We live in different jurisdictions, so I'm only tossing out an idea. I don't know what's practical.

Yes I’m open to ideas. I just googled cabinet maker etc and got other matches. I got a lead but they aren’t open on Saturdays or I’d call them. One part of the job listing says “seeking experienced…” but another part says “willing to train the right person.” I’ll follow up! 

• Like 4

I applied for the cabinet maker/finisher job posting. I didn’t have a complete profile on that job site so it took some steps. After I started to apply it revealed the estimated pay and says benefits included after 90 days. My job history looks completely irrelevant so I do think I’ll follow up next week. They are closed on weekends so that’s probably good for my sake regarding kid time. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I applied for the cabinet maker/finisher job posting. I didn’t have a complete profile on that job site so it took some steps. After I started to apply it revealed the estimated pay and says benefits included after 90 days. My job history looks completely irrelevant so I do think I’ll follow up next week. They are closed on weekends so that’s probably good for my sake regarding kid time. 

Have you updated your resume to include the class you just finished?

Have you added the people from that class--especially instructors and any administrators involved--to your LinkedIn?

The biggest value in programs like this lies in the network built.

I recently did a women's training program geared towards tech careers. It's called tech-moms; in-person classes are local to me but they have online cohorts as well. The biggest benefit of the program is the network it builds and the ongoing support. (If you might be interested let me know and I can send you more info).

• Like 7

1 hour ago, maize said:

Have you updated your resume to include the class you just finished?

Have you added the people from that class--especially instructors and any administrators involved--to your LinkedIn?

The biggest value in programs like this lies in the network built.

I recently did a women's training program geared towards tech careers. It's called tech-moms; in-person classes are local to me but they have online cohorts as well. The biggest benefit of the program is the network it builds and the ongoing support. (If you might be interested let me know and I can send you more info).

Yes & no. We began a new resume in class but I need to open the document and modify it. It lists the class already, but for the job app I just did the manual fill in the form thing and it asked for job history, not skills etc. But I’ll definitely fix my resume and talk to the company. I’m driving home today and will be back in a few days to get dd after school. 

• Like 4

Deposited tax refund. Went to tax place in correct franchise area to get it amended for free. They found an even bigger error than the one I was trying to address. So the IRS definitely would be coming after me. There was a typo and I shouldn't have received a refund at all. I owe over $1000. So I'm going to send all the money back and a little more. She will try to remove their tax filing fee since they made such a large error. Because most of my babysitting jobs came from outside of the nanny agency it was correct that I didn't use a 1090 form. That would only be used if I made more money -- then the agency would send me a 1090 form filled out (or partially filled out?). As for paying a self employment tax fee and some other fees, she said that's based on if you earned $400 or more. We went through expenses accrued from babysitting (mostly gas, but a little bit of cell phone use with clients and/or app). At the end of the day I still made a profit but I really hate self employment stuff. I hope to land 1-2 jobs where I get a W2 back at the end of 2024. 

The credit union was useless in helping me recently... I asked if I was being charged interest on my cc (after 12 months you are supposed to pay but they didn't show a breakdown). She compared my cc view to her own and hers looked different so she didn't think I was being charged any interest. That sounded too good to be true. I inquired on the phone and they said yes I was paying interest (normally I don't carry a balance but things got crazy recently) and she said how much the APR was which is way higher than when I signed up. I thought it was a fixed rate, but apparently not??? Then she said that I had points I could access if I activated my rewards... wait, what?? When I signed up for the card I didn't see anything about rewards and no one explained that. So she helped me set it up and the amount I have in points will almost pay off the cc balance but I might not pay off the full balance just yet in case I need some breathing room with the IRS payments and/or travel/moving. 

At the end of the day I've basically just broke even on everything. Job hunting for all sorts of jobs. 

Landlords want me out ASAP because their adult son will be moving in and is temporarily living in their home. 

I'm driving to dd tonight and packed all the stuff I need for apartment enrollment in case they have an opening. I also packed a nice set of clothes in case I have to go to an interview or drop off a resume anywhere. I got accepted in the CPR class which will meet on Saturday. 

Got a dental cleaning on Monday and then canceled my dental insurance (which offsets the new gym monthly fees. The gym is less than the dental). 

I know everything will be ok. Just annoyed I thought I had a refund and don't lol. 

• Like 6

On 4/29/2023 at 2:57 AM, Rosie_0801 said:

I think this is a fabulous idea. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I think this is a fabulous idea. 

I like it but I’d need training. I’m not what I’d describe as handy yet lol I mean I did hang my oversized curtain rods but it was a nightmare lol 

I applied for a job at a printing place because I dealt with that stuff at the newspaper (cmyk, dpi, oversized printer).

I went ahead and took a babysitting job tonight even though I’m over that self employment stuff. I’ll deal with it in 2024 lol. It is at a church nursery so recurring work if I want it. Complete chaos but we survived lol 

• Like 2

On 4/28/2023 at 6:26 PM, heartlikealion said:

Weeeeeell I got the 3 year forklift certificate (works on certain models) so possibly a warehouse job might hire me but I’d need practice driving. And the OSHA 10 which is important. 9 weeks class you do the OSHA 30. I joked that it’s short for something else (OH SH**). Everyone hates it lol 

I work in administrative construction and LOVE it

The forklift is one that I have occasionally wished I had -- so I could help with a delivery when the foremen, etc are not around. And I know our jobs are getting more and more insistent that we have OSHA-30 (And not just 10) out on the job sites.  There may even be a longer one our safety manager has to have.

Welders are in high demand. Don't know about carpentry-- I know my brother-in-law wanted to do that but could not really break into it. Despite the fact he has done it as a hobby for as long as I've known him (And even done cabinets as an independent project, etc) He's now a project manager/estimator at a company that does road projects. (He used to be a foreman and worked out on the roads themselves)

Edited to change construction to carpentry

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

Just now, vonfirmath said:

I work in administrative construction and LOVE it

The forklift is one that I have occasionally wished I had -- so I could help with a delivery when the foremen, etc are not around. And I know our jobs are getting more and more insistent that we have OSHA-30 (And not just 10) out on the job sites.  There may even be a longer one our safety manager has to have.

I’m working on a job app for a metal place that needs an administrative assistant. 
The OSHA-30 is part of the 9 weeks course but at this rate I won’t be able to take it (I may find a job before then). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, heartlikealion said:

I’m working on a job app for a metal place that needs an administrative assistant. 
The OSHA-30 is part of the 9 weeks course but at this rate I won’t be able to take it (I may find a job before then). 

I don't need any OSHA for my job.  It would make you more valuable as a prospect. But I know our company is working at getting the existing guys through the OSHA program for the skills they need as well.

We work with two unions -- plumbing and sheetmetal (I don't know the "Proper" name for the union).  Most of our guys start as apprentices and going to class at the same time they are working. (And some are even students until they actually start classes)

• Like 2

Ok this is just insane. That many people applied at the print shop? 

The job for an admin assistant at a metal place required snail mail. I updated my resume, had it printed on résumé paper at Office Depot and included a cover letter (mentioned my relevant skills, construction course/credentials, willingness to relocate to the area). I obliged with their request of salary history (which I put on separate paper and went back a set number of years). Got that put in the mail before last box pick up. Maybe they will receive it today. I’m hoping less competition because of the hoops you gave to jump through. 

Dd’s friend will be at her dad’s all weekend (mom had conflict) so I picked the girls up Thursday after school and we hung out. Took them to brand new cookie shop, they went to Office Depot with me, we ate dinner together and went on a walk together. 

I have a side gig job to apply for but it also has hoops so I haven't finished. I need to find or take some photos. They need some cosplay characters for events. Last time I applied for similar the lady totally flaked after saying she was going to schedule a zoom (I followed up with her a couple times). Hope this place is more organized. 

I got a text saying someone needs a dog sitter but I didn’t think Rover gave out your phone number? So I gotta log into the app and see if this is even legit. Last Rover request I got the user was banned shortly after. Scammer 🙄

EC43B08E-148B-4E21-AE49-495B47F75D4D.jpeg

I'm way behind but noticed you mentioned an interest in cabinetry.

We have 2 big cabinet shops within 30 minutes of where I live (and a ton of custom shops). One of those does custom work too but the other just does premade. You can get an entry job at either of them without any experience. My friend's son started there right out of high school. It is like any other factory lots of monotonous work. For those that are building custom cabinets, it is a lot of precision work. My brother built houses for years and he always joked with my husband (when he was trying to get something so precise- dh works in mechanical stuff where they measure to the thousandth of an inch and can be too picky sometimes) "We're not building cabinets." So, I think if you have cabinet makers around there you could probably get an entry-level job doing some job and then try to learn more and move up.

I also love the idea of you building your skills as a handywoman and advertising as that. People hire out for all sorts of things these days. FB has a great Handywomen group with ladies that can do amazing things. Maybe focus on learning a particular thing- like hanging those curtain rods.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Soror said:

I'm way behind but noticed you mentioned an interest in cabinetry.

We have 2 big cabinet shops within 30 minutes of where I live (and a ton of custom shops). One of those does custom work too but the other just does premade. You can get an entry job at either of them without any experience. My friend's son started there right out of high school. It is like any other factory lots of monotonous work. For those that are building custom cabinets, it is a lot of precision work. My brother built houses for years and he always joked with my husband (when he was trying to get something so precise- dh works in mechanical stuff where they measure to the thousandth of an inch and can be too picky sometimes) "We're not building cabinets." So, I think if you have cabinet makers around there you could probably get an entry-level job doing some job and then try to learn more and move up.

I also love the idea of you building your skills as a handywoman and advertising as that. People hire out for all sorts of things these days. FB has a great Handywomen group with ladies that can do amazing things. Maybe focus on learning a particular thing- like hanging those curtain rods.

I don’t know if she’d want me to out her but a boardie contributed to my project/skill budget. I purchased a couple items the other day and need to hunt down another (out of stock in store closest to me). 

My landlord literally texted me yesterday asking if I was out of town and could she show the place to her son. There’s a lot of pressure for me to hurry up and land a job/move. But I hesitate on some jobs because my current one has paid health ins and I don’t want to shoot myself in the foot by accepting something that pays less hourly or the same with no benefits or benefits I pay for, leaving me in worse financial shape monthly. 

I’m applying for a lawyer office job today. Pay not disclosed. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 7

On 4/28/2023 at 11:21 PM, heartlikealion said:

In my fantasy I own a side business where I make things like door hangers, holiday props for the yard (you know like a flat nativity scene or snowman or pumpkin made of wood you prop up in grass)… but the headache of starting up a business, separating business expenses etc makes my head spin. Maybe I can seek out someone that’s done it (not interested in Etsy) and get feedback. A miter saw and dremel are actually cheaper than I thought. But you kinda need a shop/house/garage… not an apartment. I need to do more research. 

My brother does this as a hobby/side hustle. He has a large garage with all his tools, though. He makes things like wooden wall art, decorative bookshelves, etc, and sells it on FB marketplace. He also takes orders. But he certainly doesn’t make enough to quit his 9-5. It’s more of a way to monetize hiding in his garage, lol. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

My brother does this as a hobby/side hustle. He has a large garage with all his tools, though. He makes things like wooden wall art, decorative bookshelves, etc, and sells it on FB marketplace. He also takes orders. But he certainly doesn’t make enough to quit his 9-5. It’s more of a way to monetize hiding in his garage, lol. 

Exactly. This would be a side thing. But with apartment living would be very challenging to use any tools. 

• Like 1

My CPR/first aid/AED class wrapped up earlier than expected. Nevermind the mask… they are mandatory in that room and we discussed the breaths and discussed shield/masks for administering breaths (might buy one on Amazon to keep handy). But the chest compressions are the main point and you can omit the breaths if you choose to (breaths more critical with children). I might delete photo later. 
We had infant dummies to practice on, too. There’s also a child setting on the large dummy (slightly less deep compressions will make a click noise). 

Dd shared that stepmom sometimes works weekends and one day she didn’t want to stay home with big brother (guess xh was also at work. I know he works certain weekend days) so she went to work with her. I’m trying really hard to get a job that doesn’t require weekends. Some well-meaning people have suggested I just tell employer I’m not available every weekend but I think it’s too messy. My weekends aren’t even completely predictable. This month I get 3 in a row because of Mother’s Day weekend. 

One of my girlfriends knew the name of the manager at the metal place so when I sent an email (had already sent the requested snail mail) I addressed him by name. I hope I hear back from them. 

My best friend (lives in TX) is in the area visiting family. Dd and I are going to meet up with her and some kid relatives Sunday. It rained all day today so we might need another idea than park lol I don’t want to do Children’s museum as it’s kinda expensive for all (I hate paying as an adult). 

20F4EFDA-CBD6-4F56-A7CA-820DC21552BA.jpeg

• Like 2

I don’t know what to apply for. There’s a job helping make doors — in the town the kids live in. Hourly is only $12 but it does offer benefits including retirement. I currently do not have retirement at my FT job. I don’t know if it would be foolish to apply and then try to supplement income with magazine job as magazine job may not always exist. 

another pro - job ends before dd gets out of school so I wouldn’t pay for any after school (no matter what Fridays would be an obstacle with most jobs). 

What says the Hive? 

Edited by heartlikealion

8 minutes ago, katilac said:

$12 an hour is pretty rough. 

Any possibility of advancement, even in the long term? 

Since I also saw the job posting on the private Facebook group for the construction students I reached out to the staff (the one that helps with resume) to ask if she knew of any such thing. I’m hoping she will respond Monday. The job for admin assistant at metal place pays way better but I seem to get burned everytime I get my hopes up on those. 

• Like 1

The cabinet store doesn't have an official salary listed, but the job site has an estimate that is well above the $12/hr door maker. I already called and followed up with the cabinet place but the job site says they have not viewed my application. I don't know if I need to give it more time or like just show up next week maybe... at least drive by the place. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

The cabinet store doesn't have an official salary listed, but the job site has an estimate that is well above the $12/hr door maker. I already called and followed up with the cabinet place but the job site says they have not viewed my application. I don't know if I need to give it more time or like just show up next week maybe... at least drive by the place. 

It’s a good idea to follow up with any job application weekly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

It’s a good idea to follow up with any job application weekly.

I’ll be in town til Mother's day so I can give it a little time. 
——-

the nanny agency doesn’t think they need me the next available day I have. So I guess I can’t count on working in the nursery.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dori said:

I follow the rule "don't keep people around you against their will" all my life. I'm used to many people leaving my life, but new ones coming. It has always been so

I’m not sure I follow? 
I’m trying to get my own place so I don’t have to stay at my dad’s. It’s very stressful. My aunt literally typed a letter to me yesterday and stuck it in my room on a cork board telling me about the importance of not leaving the car door open as it will drain the battery. The car door was left ajar maybe 2 min while I ran back in the house to grab something. My family thinks I have no common sense, apparently. 

My dad is in Europe visiting my sister and the a/c has been broken a week already. He is aware but apparently no a/c is not urgent. Open car door, urgent lol it’s bearable but a little warm. We have windows open and fans on. A/c guy said we need whole new unit. 

As you know, I'm on waiting lists for affordable housing apartments. Money is tight right now and I pay less than those, but I also probably spend more on gas currently. 

One real estate group has homes that I thought were income restricted, but they say they are not. Perhaps they were at one point, because I remember living in one... either that or they were just very affordable? Anyway, I'm this close to just moving into one of those. I did all the math and I could swing it on my current salary (it would be tight). The goal would be to get a second job or higher paying job in near future. These homes do have backyards which means in theory I would have a place for woodworking. You don't mow your own yard so I don't need to account for lawn service. I need to see what utilities, if any, are included in rent. And if any pet fees apply. I could not find that info on website. I know you should not spend more than 30% of your income on rent. On my current salary, this place would be 31% and I wouldn't risk being kicked out if my salary fluctuated. Whereas, if I live in income-restricted housing, I might risk that. 

I used online maps to calculate distance to kids, some of the jobs I applied to, and the new gym. One place was less than 10 min from job sites, under half hour to kids, and 13 min to gym. That place offers 2 & 3 bedroom units. I had to outrule the ones that don't offer 2 as that's all I can afford right now. 

I need to find out sec deposit etc. Unfortunately because I have to pay the IRS back, I no longer have that. Did you know it's a huge pain to set up the IRS payments online? If you do the profile it can take a while. I had to live video chat with someone to show my DL on camera (probably because it has an address that doesn't match my current one). 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I’m not sure I follow? 
I’m trying to get my own place so I don’t have to stay at my dad’s. It’s very stressful. My aunt literally typed a letter to me yesterday and stuck it in my room on a cork board telling me about the importance of not leaving the car door open as it will drain the battery. The car door was left ajar maybe 2 min while I ran back in the house to grab something. My family thinks I have no common sense, apparently. 

My dad is in Europe visiting my sister and the a/c has been broken a week already. He is aware but apparently no a/c is not urgent. Open car door, urgent lol it’s bearable but a little warm. We have windows open and fans on. A/c guy said we need whole new unit. 

Ugh. I just replaced my heater/AC unit in -- October? It was painful.  (partially because it was on last legs and I did not want to end up having to go without AC this summer when it failed in the midst of heat!)  

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

As you know, I'm on waiting lists for affordable housing apartments. Money is tight right now and I pay less than those, but I also probably spend more on gas currently. 

One real estate group has homes that I thought were income restricted, but they say they are not. Perhaps they were at one point, because I remember living in one... either that or they were just very affordable? Anyway, I'm this close to just moving into one of those. I did all the math and I could swing it on my current salary (it would be tight). The goal would be to get a second job or higher paying job in near future. These homes do have backyards which means in theory I would have a place for woodworking. You don't mow your own yard so I don't need to account for lawn service. I need to see what utilities, if any, are included in rent. And if any pet fees apply. I could not find that info on website. I know you should not spend more than 30% of your income on rent. On my current salary, this place would be 31% and I wouldn't risk being kicked out if my salary fluctuated. Whereas, if I live in income-restricted housing, I might risk that. 

This seems like a BIG bonus to these homes since you are trying to better yourself.

• Like 1

Got some answers at the place that doesn't have income restrictions. Currently, out of their 4 subdivisions that have 2 bedroom units, no 2 BD units are available. Maybe if I get a decent paying job soon enough I could afford their 3BD. It's $200 more a month. Which would still be well under 30% of my income if I got the job at the metal company. 

Deposit varies based on rent (but originally he gave me a flat fee for 2BD... maybe they do vary a little between subdivisions). 

No cash discount (I asked lol)

Pet fee $250 (that's pretty standard here. Some places are more or charge you monthly). 

I own a washer/dryer, but I'm not sure if they will fit in the units (online it said compact... mine are large). But they said you are welcome to bring your own and if you don't, you pay $50/mo for theirs. So I am thinking I would want to get their W/D area dimensions. 

I applied at a booking agency for gig work as a costume character lol. I don't know if anything will come of it... 

• Like 4

I will follow up again this coming week with the admin. assist. job at metal place. 

After sore feet again this week, I am not going to pursue a tradesman job… but I do want to pursue woodworking as a hobby and see if I can sell things at some point (as a side hustle). I know that self employment is not ideal but I don’t want to give up, either. The tax place explained to me about filing similar things together… so the dog sitting & babysitting got lumped together. I would think making sewn items and other crafts/wooden things would be paired together. I’ll brainstorm small items I could make. Long term big picture pipe dream would be selling catios lol (enclosure for cats to safely enjoy outdoors). But the cost of wood/screening etc I know would possibly make it not profitable. However, supply and demand! Cat mamas might be willing to pay. Another idea — custom-made cat bowls that are long & wide so cats don’t bend their whiskers (that’s why they don’t like eating the remaining food at bottom!) 

Good news - the last babysitting gig I did was through a nanny app that took out taxes already so I don’t have to deal with that! 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I will follow up again this coming week with the admin. assist. job at metal place. 

After sore feet again this week, I am not going to pursue a tradesman job… but I do want to pursue woodworking as a hobby and see if I can sell things at some point (as a side hustle). I know that self employment is not ideal but I don’t want to give up, either. The tax place explained to me about filing similar things together… so the dog sitting & babysitting got lumped together. I would think making sewn items and other crafts/wooden things would be paired together. I’ll brainstorm small items I could make. Long term big picture pipe dream would be selling catios lol (enclosure for cats to safely enjoy outdoors). But the cost of wood/screening etc I know would possibly make it not profitable. However, supply and demand! Cat mamas might be willing to pay. Another idea — custom-made cat bowls that are long & wide so cats don’t bend their whiskers (that’s why they don’t like eating the remaining food at bottom!) 

Good news - the last babysitting gig I did was through a nanny app that took out taxes already so I don’t have to deal with that! 

As for making and selling things….my SIL and her husband make and sell MANY chicken coops.  They are currently 5 months out on orders.  So the demand is there .  

• Like 4

I never finished the job application for a school librarian. It appeared I met the requirements for that particular one but I assume they pay peanuts. The only reason I’d consider it is having the same (or similar) days off as the kids. It’s in a neighboring school district. But I bet the pay is quite low and if need to work 2 jobs. Sigh. 

Just now, thatfirstsip said:

School librarian may be a very decently paid job, depending on district.

It’s a less affluent school district than the ones my kids attend. Maybe I should just finish the application though (2nd job potentially would be part time work at my magazine). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

It’s a less affluent school district than the ones my kids attend. Maybe I should just finish the application though (2nd job potentially would be part time work at my magazine). 

I have a friend who made a career as a school librarian. I don’t know her pay, but she was single for twenty years and always lived comfortably. There’s really no way to know what the pay is, and it does no harm to apply, so it seems wise to complete the application.

• Like 5

Yes, finish the application. School District employment usually comes with decent health and retirement benefits, and if you get the job but the salary is too low you don't have to take it.

Edited by maize
  • Like 6

I have a friend who made a career as a school librarian and we’re in a HCOL area. Even if the initial pay seems low, government employment tends to have good benefits, stability, and a clear path to advancement. In your shoes I’d be going for the stable job with health insurance and playing the long game. I’d fill in with part time or gig work on any evenings or weekends that I didn’t have the kids. A stable 9-5 could be really important down the road if you ever want to renegotiate the custody situation. It’s also easier to get a higher paying office job if you already HAVE steady employment. Stability is a really good look to the court system especially if it looks like your ex and his significant other are both working and the kids are watching each other. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Indeed salary estimate on the library job was 20-26k. I cannot put a roof over my head on that (I make more than that now and my rent will go up when I move) and doing side/gig work is very hard with my availability. Most employers will not cater to my sporadic weekend availability. It’s not even consistent. Holidays, spring break, summer etc throw it off. 

I probably need to land a job like the admin asst one. It’s Mon-Fri and pays more than I currently make.