Menu

supermarket shelves and food prices June edition

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh wow, I hadn't heard of prescription drugs going up.  Wow.  That is horrible.

2 hours ago, QueenCat said:

I haven't seen them go up. We get a lot prescriptions in our house. My most expensive one went down recently. 

My prescriptions are all in the fully covered category so zero out of pocket. I didn’t look at the price paid by insurance on the printout my pharmacist gave so they might have gone up. Mine are in Premera’s Tier 1 & 2 category (https://www.premera.com/documents/027877_2021.pdf)

On 6/9/2022 at 6:46 AM, Melissa in Australia said:

Australia is curranty having a gas crisis  ( of their own making) which they are predicting will have huge implications on food processing. by gas I don't mean petrol , but natural gas that is used for things like heating,  to run factories etc

We are having a gas (petrol) crisis in the US that is purely of our own doing. We have had at least 5 refineries close since the pandemic began, so it does not matter how much oil we drill out of the ground—we simply don’t have the capability to refine product to meet our needs. The current administration now wants refiners to refine more, but existing refineries are already at capacity. The refineries that closed will take at least a year to restart. We are in this mess for awhile with no hope of it getting better. My husband worked for the last refinery that closed here in February. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, She Travels said:

We are having a gas (petrol) crisis in the US that is purely of our own doing. We have had at least 5 refineries close since the pandemic began, so it does not matter how much oil we drill out of the ground—we simply don’t have the capability to refine product to meet our needs. The current administration now wants refiners to refine more, but existing refineries are already at capacity. The refineries that closed will take at least a year to restart. We are in this mess for awhile with no hope of it getting better. My husband worked for the last refinery that closed here in February. 

There is also a shortage of workers on the production side.  A friend from church said that they currently have over 140 entry-level jobs that pay 75,000 - 100,000 and they cannot find anyone to take them. He said normally, they have way too many applicants, but now no one wants the jobs. 

53 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

There is also a shortage of workers on the production side.  A friend from church said that they currently have over 140 entry-level jobs that pay 75,000 - 100,000 and they cannot find anyone to take them. He said normally, they have way too many applicants, but now no one wants the jobs. 

entry level jobs for that salary??  That is nuts.  Can they be remote?  I would sign up in a second.

• Like 1

Every single morning for the last week the local radio has been running a segment about how easy it is to grow greens. 

Now other media sources are urging people to plant veggies. They are saying it will be quite a while before green veggies become affordable. 

The reccomend action I saw last night was for people in  units and flats to buy a bag if potting mix, poke holes with a fork in one side, flip over and cut small holes and poke leafy green plants in. They are calling it greens in 2 weeks. 

I am feeling so grim  about the situation that dh angd I are going to expand our veggie garden by half as much again. It already is the size if a tennis court, but we really feel we need to be growing excess to keep not only our  grown kids I. Food, but have enough to give. 

Edited by Melissa in Australia

25 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Every single morning for the last week the local radio has been running a segment about how easy it is to grow greens. 

I read on ABC Australia that your residential buildings are poorly insulated and that would mean higher heating costs in winter. I also read about growing greens that can be harvested in two weeks (https://amp.abc.net.au/article/101158336)

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/australias-cold-houses-could-be-making-us-sick/13933384
https://amp.abc.net.au/article/101113820

• Like 2

I was in two grocery stores today. Nothing missing from shelves that I saw, but I didn't go into the baby formula aisle. As for prices: I spent ~$150 and will have to buy more food by Tuesday. (To be fair, I did buy meat this time, about $19 for enough chicken wings for dinner for 3. And gf cookies for DS, almost $5.)

2 hours ago, TexasProud said:

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

entry level jobs for that salary??  That is nuts.  Can they be remote?  I would sign up in a second.

If you search Indeed, they come up easily, with hiring events all over the country. Oil field workers/machine operators type stuff. With a 3.6% unemployment rate, yeah, it’s going to be hard to find people who are physically capable and willing.

• Thanks 1

Today we went to a peach orchard and farm that has a lovely farm market. Dd was craving peaches, and north Alabama Early Amber cling peaches are now in season. The price was $16.00 for a half peck which was 16 peaches. Last year she bought the same peaches from the same farm for $9.00 a half peck. So close to double more.

I am not complaining! I know it is a gazillion times worse in many other countries. I am just so sad for folks who were already struggling to feed their families healthy foods.

At any rate, if she craves a veggie or fruit, I get it. We are storming her with nutrient dense foods, and her with all of the rest, we are seeing big improvements this week in her energy and brain fog. I am glad we can do this for her.

Melissa, my heart hurts when I see the prices you post. I hope all of our Aussies find a way through this mess. When a government tells citizens in apartments to grow food or shortens the work week so everyone can grow, it is so very bad out there. Many hugs to all.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

No, they are oil field jobs of some kind.  A lot safer than they were in the 1930's, but still hot, occasionally dangerous work. 

• Like 1

Lettuce was on the clearance racks here for $4 each. They were spotty and going mouldy - past salvaging. Clearly people aren’t going to pay $10 for an iceberg lettuce. It’s pretty disappointing to see the waste - supermarket should have not ordered or lowered the price before they were spoilt. Broccoli was $14.90kg. Cauli was up to $6.50 each. The other stuff was normal. There was heaps of more gourmet type foods on clearance - fancy yoghurt, cheese and dips etc. i bought some stuff that I can use or freeze. DH is also noticing sales on prestige/luxury items. I guess people don’t have cash left for that. 

I read about one factory shutting down but they don’t have a retail electricity contract. They have chose to buy wholesale and only run the factory when the electricity price is low enough. Because of the suspension of the spot market they don’t know what the price will be. They can’t run their software without the price and don’t want to risk running. At the maximum price recently they could run bankrupt in a couple of days. It seems that factories that run on a fixed price pay higher prices overall but don’t have that crazy risk of ridiculous prices, so they can still run. The spot price factory recently had workers come in on a Sunday because demand is lower so the price is lower.

I have been watching the data for our generation in SA. We don’t have coal fired. It’s predominantly wind and gas. We had a rain front come through the other day and the wind was pretty much 90pc of generation. Other days gas is higher. Solar is only about 10pc and not much is coming off the battery at all.

Minimum wage here just got raised by 5pc.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/16/1105488061/baby-formula-plant-abbott-closed-flooding
“Abbott has stopped production of its infant formula at its Sturgis, Mich., plant less than two weeks after restarting due to severe thunderstorms that caused flooding inside the plant. 

The company announced the pause in production in a statement on Wednesday,adding that it will re-sanitize the plant and production is likely to resume in a few weeks. 

The company said it has informed the Food and Drug Administration and will conduct comprehensive testing to ensure the facility is safe to resume production.

"This will likely delay production and distribution of new product for a few weeks," Abbott said.

The company had just announced the reopening of the plant on June 4 and planned on releasing the EleCare formula to consumers on June 20. But even with the latest pause in production, the company says it "has ample existing supply of EleCare" and other specialty formulas to last consumers until more is available.”

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Our local family farm’s u-pick strawberries are up this year, from $2.25/lb to $2.75lb. $2.15 to $2.60lb for over 20lbs. 

I wish I could pick there. My u-pick is $3.79 a lb this week, and they have a $20 per person minimum because I guess they are very popular this year and need to eliminate the folks that do it for fun with their kids and do not pick many.

Regular cream cheese was $6.49 today, just the regular brand not our local brand that I prefer to buy.

The low-ish sodium, regular brand pasta sauce was $4.49, I think I used to buy it for 1.99.

Having college kid back for the summer is going to break the bank (not really, for which I feel fortunate. But wow the sticker shock). 

Edited by MEmama

A lot of products I buy at Walmart have gone up - Stonefire Naan, Great Value pop (which used to be so cheap), Pizza Buddy Pizza Dough (also used to be so cheap), several brands of ice cream, Great Value cookies...  

Their eggs just dropped in price though.  

The price increases stress me out.  We're fortunate that we can afford it but I hate seeing the prices so high and I'm tempted to bulk buy everything nonperishable before prices increase even more.

Oh, forgot to add the Great Value microwave popcorn and the Great Value peanut butter powder - both have increased quite a bit.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Sad 1