Menu

Dentist recommending physical therapy for my neck but I have no symptoms?

Tenaj

My dentist, whom I've been going to for years (probably at least 15) has suddenly become a dentist/TMJ/Sleep Disorder Center instead of just a dentist. Six months ago I had a regular cleaning with his new dental hygienist and it was the most awful cleaning I have ever had.  She was rough and condescending.  My whole mouth hurt for hours after she was done and this was after having had a dental cleaning six months before that where I was told by a different Hygienist at the same practice that I had just come in to brag because there was nothing to clean. 

Anyway, during that cleaning I was told that I have been grinding my teeth for years (but my dh never hears it) and that I probably have sleep apnea (no evidence of that at all, no snoring, no extra tiredness) and that also, I need to bleach my teeth (this was all the hygienist).  I explained that I have some tooth sensitivity and that's why I don't bleach but she pooh-poohed that idea.  Anyway, then the dentist comes in and without warning grabs my neck and wrenches it one way then the other and then informs me that I am tense (yeah - because your new hygienist is obnoxious and you just grabbed my neck).  He then said I probably needed a sleep study and physical therapy to get rid of my headaches . . . which I told him I don't have.  I ignored all the advice but did buy a over the counter mouth guard and decided to find a different dentist.

Fast forward to today.  In a weak moment yesterday I agreed to fill a cancelled appointment they had for a cleaning.  Different hygienist and she was fine.  All is well, dentist comes in, grabs my neck again and wrenches it again and informs me that I need physical therapy because I must have headaches because my range of motion is so small and I am so tense and he can tell this.  He writes up a referral for this therapy and despite my reservations, I accept it.

Has anyone else had this experience?  Is this a new thing for dentists?  Have you had this type of physical therapy?  I'll admit that my neck does seem "stiff" at times but I just figured it was normal ageing stuff but I don't have headaches at all - I mean, maybe once or twice a year when ill.  They've already called to schedule and I'm just really torn about this.  If it's something that will head off a future problem, I'm willing, but if its just this dentist drumming up business for himself and this therapist, I'm not really ok with it.

While I was in the chair, the obnoxious hygienist was in the next room and I heard the end of one appointment and the beginning of another appointment and in both of them she was telling the patients that they need to wear a mouth guard at night for grinding and bleach their teeth.  That makes me think this is just their new  push on all their patients.  And since he's become an "expert" in TMJ that's also his new routine?  

I just want a dentist to take care of my teeth . . leave my neck alone!!!!

Please share any experiences you've had specifically with this type of neck therapy.  Thanks!

If you *do* have TMJ, you definitely don’t need somebody grabbing you and wrenching your neck.  

If your neck is stiff, the first thing I would try is find the physical therapists online called “Bob and Brad” and see if they have exercises for stiff necks/shoulders.  Try them out and see if you have any improvement or not.  If you don’t see any improvement, you could consider seeing someone irl for help.  But not your current dentist - he sounds terrible.

Anne

• Like 2

1. Get a new dentist. He shouldn't be manhandling you like that.

2. Losing range of motion with age isn't normal. If you're feeling tight, take up the stretches (which are all over youtube). Then consider getting help--but I wouldn't go to where he referred you because it sounds like he's selling services and may be getting a kickback for referrals.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If you've gone to this dentist for years and know him pretty well, just tell hiim to stop touching your neck without asking. He's probably very used to moving in and going on with business in the mouth, and may not even realize that he's crossing a boundry you aren't comfortable with. 

Personally, if this happened to me, I'd be providing feedback that I don't appreciate the pushing (up selling) of products I'm not asking for, and that I don't want anything other than a dental exam. If I didn't feel I could do that then I'd probably ask to have my dental records forwarded to a new dentist that I'd picked out.

• Like 1

That sounds awful! 
My dd has TMJ and was very much aware of her symptoms (locked jaw, popping in jaw, pain, etc). She did have physical therapy and benefited from it.  It seems strange that you’ve got no symptoms whatsoever, and they’re still pushing this on you. 

I hate confrontation so I’d probably just leave that practice. 

• Like 1

Ugh, that is completely obnoxious.  If you feel fine, you are likely fine IMO.  I would get a new dentist.  Sounds like they are into their marketing.  I had a dentist that pushed TMJ and custom mouthguards at a couple cleanings years ago, switched dentists and haven't heard anything about it since.  I bet they are "partnering" with some providers.  

I will say that I read an article earlier in covid that dentists said jaw pain and tooth breakages were up during early covid.  Definitely due to unusual stress.  I had a crown come out and have to be reset!  So I actually don't think it's unsual for us to occassionally have jaw pain or neck pain in periods of high stress.  And carrying yourself into a dental appointment with some anxiety and tension is not exotic.  And sure, some people will benefit from treatment if they have ongoing issues with that.  I actually woke up with a sore neck today but I walked aobut 6 miles yesterday which is long for me and slept like a rock.  I think I just slept in a funny position.  Feeling some soreness a few times a year in someone with occassional over use, stress, illness, etc seems normal to me for sure.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Tenaj said:

Has anyone else had this experience?

Not this exact experience, but when our dentist for decades retired, a new one took over the practice.  With the old dentist and hygienists, I was always getting complimented on my teeth and gums.  With the new crew, the hygienist will actually stab my gums with a pokey thing and then tell me that they are bleeding profusely.  Well, duh!  

We need to find a new dentist.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Grabbing your neck like that is assault. It’s not normal. I go to a chiropractor and he would never ever do something like that. Get another dentist. 

Exactly!

I would find a new dentist, and I would let this one know that his hygienist is out of line. I finally quit a dentist over inconsistent stuff plus pushy hygienists--by the time they got one that was nice, the damage was done, and I was out of trust. I don't know if they ran off the good ones or what, but they had a rash of horrible ones that were condescending, mocking, judgy, and mean. I never had anything other than normal nervousness going to the dentist, but that changed with the horrible treatment. 

I do think that getting someone to look at your neck is a decent option if you have less range of motion, and I think trying some exercises online is a good place to start.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses.  My dh and I are going to start the hunt for a new dentist.  He is due for a checkup so he's going to be our first guinea pig 🙂.  I'm going to ignore the referral and try some exercises in my own.  I feel so relieved.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...