Menu

Well-trained bodies - June

Laura Corin

6 minutes ago, Soror said:

Felt better yesterday but not great. Still having pains this morning. Not sure what I'm going to do about exercise and frustrated. I've missed 2 days already I planned. 

I bought cranberry pills to take and am trying to follow more kidney friendly diet-- just grasping at straws here since I don't know what's going on. 

I have an appointment with PT on Thurs morning. Fingers crossed and all that.

Just a thought: many years ago I had continual UTI symptoms and it turned out to be a reaction to aspartame/Nutrasweet.  It might be worth thinking about sensitivities and maybe even do an elimination diet period to see if there might be an issue there.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Just a thought: many years ago I had continual UTI symptoms and it turned out to be a reaction to aspartame/Nutrasweet.  It might be worth thinking about sensitivities and maybe even do an elimination diet period to see if there might be an issue there.

I've thought about the diet aspect when looking at recommendations for kidney stones and hearing others say they had triggers. Sigh. I've done them a lot in the past and feel annoyed just thinking about it. Since chocolate was mentioned as a trigger and a possible problem with kidneys I'm trying not to eat it. You guys know my love of chocolate. So, that is step one. I'm also considering going back off dairy. I don't usually have fake sweetner at home except on rare occasion. I did have some on vaca. I'm watching my salt intake. I usually don't eat much processed foods but on vaca ate more than usual as a matter of convenience. I've got to make an actual meal plan today as without a plan I'm just going to be hungry and give up. 

--------------

Going to try and walk around the yard this morning. Traffic is already more than I'm comfortable with at 6:40. @BusyMom5 I counted the steps in my driveway ---50 lol but I can make a bit of a lap through the yard.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

@Soror I hope you can get some relief from PT or other avenues. 

It was a total rest day yesterday. Something like a flu bug or just bad allergies knocked me right out, so I did minimal office work and spent most of the day in bed. I'm hoping it settles down today. 

You've been going through a rough patch - I hope you get through it soon.

Today: half an hour of yoga first thing, then a brisk walk up a hill at lunchtime.  I had planned to row after work, but I've been pushing the yoga recently, so I think I should give my shoulder a rest.  I'll do a fast walking video instead.

I thought this was interesting; inevitably the position in the photo bears no relationship to the actual exercise described: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jun/20/balancing-on-one-leg-useful-health-test-later-life-research?fbclid=IwAR0hqUQ_9XiF6OdrtK1X-gW_F6dqr0eWaKu1wUBmxwo5ENab4xQNozhewOY

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

You've been going through a rough patch - I hope you get through it soon.

Today: half an hour of yoga first thing, then a brisk walk up a hill at lunchtime.  I had planned to row after work, but I've been pushing the yoga recently, so I think I should give my shoulder a rest.  I'll do a fast walking video instead.

I thought this was interesting; inevitably the position in the photo bears no relationship to the actual exercise described: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jun/20/balancing-on-one-leg-useful-health-test-later-life-research?fbclid=IwAR0hqUQ_9XiF6OdrtK1X-gW_F6dqr0eWaKu1wUBmxwo5ENab4xQNozhewOY

My ds 20 is also going through similar weird symptoms were attributing to allergies. We've both taken covid tests and they're negative. 

The article is quite interesting. You're correct that the yoga pose is definitely not what the average person would imagine 'standing on one foot' means. 😉  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

After consultation with my husband and Dr. Google, I decided to make an appointment at urgent care yesterday to get my foot checked. When we arrived, they told us up front that the x-ray person was already gone for the day and suggested we go to the ER, instead. I was not pleased, because I knew that would mean hours of our lives shot, but my husband felt strongly that he wanted me to have the x-rays.

Sure enough, 3.5 hours later, I was sent home with the assurance that there is nothing broken (yay) and advice to follow up with the orthopedist and stay off of it until the bruising heals. When asked what "stay off of it" means, we got a vague answer about it being okay to walk to and from the bathroom but not go to the mall. My husband asked for more specifics, telling the PA that I usually walk 15,000 steps a day and needed more guidance. She said I should aim for 1,000 steps until I follow up with the orthopedist. However, it looks to me like the swelling is already coming down, so unless something gets worse, I'm planning to just wait it out at this point. If it's true that it's just badly bruised, I could be healed by the time I could get in to see the ortho, anyway.

I did venture out with the dog this morning and made it just about a kilometer (slowly). Sad, but better than yesterday. I followed that with a short seated "deskercise" video and one of the usual 20-minute seated upper body routines. 

Obviously, all regular step goals are out the window for at least a few days, but I will try to get out for another (probably short, slow) walk this evening and maybe try for some more seated exercise of some sort.

Also, it was registration day for the runDisney Princess Marathon Weekend (February 2023), and I managed to snag a spot in the 10K before everything sold out. That's the last of the currently announced WDW events for next season. Waiting to see whether they do a "Springtime Surprise" weekend, too. In the meantime, I'm starting to look around at other walker-friendly races in the area to fill out my calendar. Goal is to have at least one event scheduled per month between September and March.

Summer Splash Challenge: 137.6 of 600K
Walking Streak: 50 days

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Felt pretty icky until later yesterday. Tired and stomach was hurting. How do you know if something is just stress or not? IDK DD got some message from this random girl about how horrible she was, she cheated on bf, she said no one likes you and people want me to beat you up. All kinds of shit. She ended up just ignoring her. I don't know what the hell is wrong with people. Dd was hot because of the lies. She says she doesn't care if people hate her. (I wish I had that attitude) 

I feel better this morning and am hoping for a good day. Going to try and exercise today and walk some in the yard this morning. I'd really like to get back into some kind of routine here although in another week I'm starting partial day school with the girls. I think that will actually help with some structure to my day and it is so hot in the middle of the day there isn't much we want to do then anyway.

I had a dairy free day but did have a smidge of chocolate (on a dairy free ice cream). I still didn't make my menu as I had to get groceries earlier than I planned and didn't have time. So, I bought some stuff and need to plan what to do with it now 🙂

Edited by Soror
  • Like 6

@Soror I'm sorry about the physical and emotional ick. I will say that I always founds life with my kids was better when we had a routine that required them to expend some mental energy for at least part of the day. Although we homeschooled full-time (sometimes with online classes as part of the package), we always switched to part-time "summer school." Even if it was fairly light and only a couple of hours in the morning, days went a lot better with a little structure and brain exercise every day.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

After consultation with my husband and Dr. Google, I decided to make an appointment at urgent care yesterday to get my foot checked. When we arrived, they told us up front that the x-ray person was already gone for the day and suggested we go to the ER, instead. I was not pleased, because I knew that would mean hours of our lives shot, but my husband felt strongly that he wanted me to have the x-rays.

Sure enough, 3.5 hours later, I was sent home with the assurance that there is nothing broken (yay) and advice to follow up with the orthopedist and stay off of it until the bruising heals. When asked what "stay off of it" means, we got a vague answer about it being okay to walk to and from the bathroom but not go to the mall. My husband asked for more specifics, telling the PA that I usually walk 15,000 steps a day and needed more guidance. She said I should aim for 1,000 steps until I follow up with the orthopedist. However, it looks to me like the swelling is already coming down, so unless something gets worse, I'm planning to just wait it out at this point. If it's true that it's just badly bruised, I could be healed by the time I could get in to see the ortho, anyway.

I did venture out with the dog this morning and made it just about a kilometer (slowly). Sad, but better than yesterday. I followed that with a short seated "deskercise" video and one of the usual 20-minute seated upper body routines. 

Obviously, all regular step goals are out the window for at least a few days, but I will try to get out for another (probably short, slow) walk this evening and maybe try for some more seated exercise of some sort.

Also, it was registration day for the runDisney Princess Marathon Weekend (February 2023), and I managed to snag a spot in the 10K before everything sold out. That's the last of the currently announced WDW events for next season. Waiting to see whether they do a "Springtime Surprise" weekend, too. In the meantime, I'm starting to look around at other walker-friendly races in the area to fill out my calendar. Goal is to have at least one event scheduled per month between September and March.

Summer Splash Challenge: 137.6 of 600K
Walking Streak: 50 days

Oh @Jenny in Florida take it easy. Honestly I’m surprised they said 1000 is ok when they started saying just walk to the bathroom. Does it hurt when you walk? When I injured my foot I got an air cast + crutches then just used the air cast (boot) but it sounds like they didn’t recommend that. 

• Like 2

Still not a banner day for exercise yesterday. The only thing I managed after the abbreviated morning routine was another short (1K), slow walk with the dog after work. I had thought I might walk one more time, but I got distracted hanging out with the newly adopted cat and lost track of time.

I did run into a big group of some of our avian neighbors.

Today is starting off a little better. I walked a touch longer (1.3K) at a slightly increased pace. Then I came home and tried out a few Chair One Fitness videos. Think aerobics while seated. I did four songs, logged a little over 1,000 steps and definitely felt my heart rate go up. I may be hooked. So far, I've just done the freebies available on YouTube, but I may sign up for the free trial of their on-demand service.

Followed that with another abbreviated strength and stretching session on the mat. 

Summer Splash Challenge: 140.0 of 600K
Walking Streak: 51 days

IMG_20220621_180041678_HDR.jpg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Oh @Jenny in Florida take it easy. Honestly I’m surprised they said 1000 is ok when they started saying just walk to the bathroom. Does it hurt when you walk? When I injured my foot I got an air cast + crutches then just used the air cast (boot) but it sounds like they didn’t recommend that. 

They said very definitively that it's not broken, just bruised. 

I've been keeping it elevated most of the time when I'm in the house and sitting down. I find it sort of twinges when I first start walking, but I'm okay for short walks. It does start hurting more if I walk too long or try to go too fast, so I'm trying to be careful.

• Like 5

Yesterday I ran errands and because I had to stop at lawyer offices I dressed nicer. My feet were killing me later from the dress shoes but I did hop on my stationary bike later. I just did 30 min. I was wiped out. My phone steps finally refreshed into MFP app but then they didn’t count as many calories burned (Google said I burned more. However I guess that depends on stride, weight etc). 

I was way over my calories yesterday. I did my baking challenge (it’s a fundraiser on Facebook) and “had” to eat some of the food (quality control lol). Then I got a free popcorn with my movie ticket last night (fi ally saw Top Gun) and that was worth I dunno how many calories. Literally I don’t know so I picked another theatre listing in MFP and it rated it over 1000 calories 😬 I couldn’t find the exact calories when I googled. 

I ate a hotdog at Costco but got water from the fountain. I later stood in front of a vending machine after leaving Walmart. Luckily they were out of almost everything and then it hit me I still had my Costco cup and a jug of water I’d just bought. So I filled it up for the ride home. Water intake was probably 7 cups for the day. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I've been keeping it elevated most of the time when I'm in the house and sitting down. I find it sort of twinges when I first start walking, but I'm okay for short walks. It does start hurting more if I walk too long or try to go too fast, so I'm trying to be careful.

Mine wasn’t broken either. I guess it was considered sprained. But it had nasty bruising and hurt to put any weight on it. No real cast just the boot. 

• Like 3

@Soror Sorry you're feeling icky. Really sorry for the nasty people trying to hurt your dd. Hope you both have a better day today.

@Jenny in Florida You have a new cat? That's fun! How is it going?

I'm feeling the same weak and tired as the past few days. This doesn't seem like the after-affects of wisdom teeth surgery anymore. It's like a baby flu that doesn't ramp up completely, just sits at low burn for days and days. It's annoying.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

@wintermom Yep! I was concerned that our already-resident cat was getting lonely since our older cat died in December and had raised the possibility of adopting another to keep him company. We were pondering that question when I read that our local shelter is completely overwhelmed/overcrowded with surrendered pets. We figured that was a sign and went to the shelter that weekend. 

Our new feline friend came home last Friday and is still in quarantine waiting to be fully integrated with the other beasties. We plan to start doing more up-close-and-personal introductions this weekend.

IMG_20220621_184120911.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

@wintermom Yep! I was concerned that our already-resident cat was getting lonely since our older cat died in December and had raised the possibility of adopting another to keep him com[any. We were pondering that question when I read that our local shelter is completely overwhelmed/overcrowded with surrendered pets. We figured that was a sign and went to the shelter that weekend. 

Our new feline friend came home last Friday and is still in quarantine waiting to be fully integrated with the other beasties. We plan to start doing more up-close-and-personal introductions this weekend.

IMG_20220621_184120911.jpg

What a cutie!! Love the markings!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got back on the exercise train this week. I was at my parents last week and ran once and walked every day. I'm back on the treadmill every day now that I don't have share it during morning workout time. My DH in Japan sent me a new workout he is doing. Oy va voy it is tough. Five minutes stretch/ warm up, 10 minutes cardio, 10 minutes pilates (kicks my butt, abs, send and legs), and five minutes cooldown. Everything hurts..... 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

The cat is beautiful 😻 

I’ve suspected for a while I have a magnesium deficiency but I’ve never liked the options for curbing it, really. I tried a spray and it stung. I could have tried diluting it but it hurt a lot and I was turned off. I’ve tried Natural Calm but not a huge fan. A random person online suggested a lotion and I’ve just ordered it. In the reviews they say if it stings it just means you’re deficient and it improves. Mo’ Maggie Magnesium Lotion - Highest Concentration of Genuine Zechstein Magnesium in a Lotion - Wholesome & Organic Opulent Oils & Shea Butter- 8 Fluid Ounces - by Mo' Natural, Packaging May Vary https://a.co/d/ddbPuMw

I deal with fatigue and migraines so maybe this will help. I’m so sick of fatigue affecting my productivity. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I played 2 hours of mixed doubles tennis. I wasn't feeling 100%, but I'm glad I got out to play. It was a lot of fun. After comparing symptoms with my tennis friends, I'm pretty sure all my aches and pains are allergy related. That means at some point they should all go away! I can't wait. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

I played 2 hours of mixed doubles tennis. I wasn't feeling 100%, but I'm glad I got out to play. It was a lot of fun. After comparing symptoms with my tennis friends, I'm pretty sure all my aches and pains are allergy related. That means at some point they should all go away! I can't wait. 

Fingers crossed it is allergies. I know mine have flared up off/on. I can always tell when it's allergies as I get crazy itchy eyes that I don't get with other illnesses. Mine were flaring this weekend after mowing which could have been part of my problem.

23 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Rest day today - just pj sun salutations and running errands on foot at lunchtime .

hope it was a lovely rest day.

19 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

The cat is beautiful 😻 

I’ve suspected for a while I have a magnesium deficiency but I’ve never liked the options for curbing it, really. I tried a spray and it stung. I could have tried diluting it but it hurt a lot and I was turned off. I’ve tried Natural Calm but not a huge fan. A random person online suggested a lotion and I’ve just ordered it. In the reviews they say if it stings it just means you’re deficient and it improves. Mo’ Maggie Magnesium Lotion - Highest Concentration of Genuine Zechstein Magnesium in a Lotion - Wholesome & Organic Opulent Oils & Shea Butter- 8 Fluid Ounces - by Mo' Natural, Packaging May Vary https://a.co/d/ddbPuMw

I deal with fatigue and migraines so maybe this will help. I’m so sick of fatigue affecting my productivity. 

Fwiw I take magnesium glycinate I get off Amazon. Usually mag helps with sleep so I take it at night. Have you had labs done? With fatigue I'd be looking into --B vitamin, D, and Iron. I take all 3 of those as mine tend to go low if I don't. Also, thyroid labs as it is a frequent problem for women.

20 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

Got back on the exercise train this week. I was at my parents last week and ran once and walked every day. I'm back on the treadmill every day now that I don't have share it during morning workout time. My DH in Japan sent me a new workout he is doing. Oy va voy it is tough. Five minutes stretch/ warm up, 10 minutes cardio, 10 minutes pilates (kicks my butt, abs, send and legs), and five minutes cooldown. Everything hurts..... 

New workouts are always tough. How often are you doing this workout?

20 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Cardio Boot Camp Boogie this morning.

@Soror and @wintermom I hope today is a little better and that you're both back to baseline soon!

Thank you so much. I'm so glad to hear you've finished the school year. What's the update on care for your daughter?

22 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Your cat is beautiful. I thought you could only walk 1k step a day. Thank goodness it is at least not broken.

Where is @MEmama did I miss something in my haze of coming back from vaca????

• Like 3

Waiting to here what PT says as far as exercise. I've been having to modify lower body workouts for months now but don't seem to be making progress, hoping she has a better plan to get me back to 100%.

I did a dumbbell HIIT yesterday to finish off the series I'd been working on before I left. These are slower than regular HIITs and I took my time. My body doesn't have a lot of spunk and doesn't want to be pushed right now. Too much stress already. I think I'll go back to the previous series I worked on that was strictly focused on lifing without the HIIT and get my cardio through work around the house, whatever walking I can get in, and maybe some time in the pool.

Still not doing great on a schedule this week but with so many appointments and feeling blech I guess that is ok. 

Also working on getting food lined back out. Have kept dairy free 2 whole days now. 

Today--- short upper body before PT 

• Like 6

Confession: I'm not doing great about sticking to that 1,000 steps per day thing. Honestly, I would likely break that limit just by walking around the house doing chores and going from my desk to the bathroom and back. The bruising is still ugly, but the swelling is subsiding. So, I'm continuing to be careful, to elevate my foot whenever I'm sitting down, ice occasionally and go slowly when I'm walking, but I am walking a little more each day.

I coaxed the dog out for a very slow ramble (1.4K) last night, then did a couple more of those seated exercise videos while hanging out with the new cat. (We've been taking him into the guest room each day to start acclimating him to the rest of the house and give him a change of scene/more room to explore.) 

This morning, I walked allllmmooost 2 kilometers, did two chair exercise videos and then did one of the usual 20-minute seated upper body workouts. 

I'll probably do something similar tonight to what I did yesterday.

Summer Splash Challenge: 143.3 of 600K
Walking Streak: 52 days

• Like 5

@SororI'm so sorry for the continuing awfulness for your dd. It's not fair.

@Jenny in Florida What a wonderful new kitty!

I did gyrotonics on Tuesday. My instructor is emphasizing lower core strength, and it's hard! But definitely needed. I can do zillions of crunches and obliques, but those work muscles higher up near the rib cage. The lower core (pelvic region) is not nearly as strong. 

Yesterday I meant to get out and walk, but I let busy-ness and the weather (soooo hot and humid!) take over, so I didn't make it out. 😔 Plumbers just finished a massive multi-floor project, so there is a TON to do inside cleaning, and it feels useless because we have so much drywall repair to do now that everything will just get dusty again. Ah well...

Today I will have a dry needling treatment later. My plan is to nap after and then take a good walk to help me wake up.

• Like 5

@Soror yes they’ve run labs twice. I specified certain things and they had a standard panel they use for fatigue but I don’t recall magnesium being anywhere on the list. In the first test we discovered I was insufficient in vit D. I took more than they recommended because their recs were weak. When I returned my levels had moved into sufficient (not the greatest in that category but a huge improvement). Then I switched to a K+D combo and I take that now (lower dose). But I never addressed my magnesium issues outside of eating pumpkin seeds in my salads. Or maybe a little dark choc here and there. I’ll look into the product you mentioned.

I told the dr I’ve always required more sleep than average and consider myself a “long sleeper.” He said just try to get sleep where you can and you may want a test for sleep apnea. I can wake up feeling refreshed then need a nap later that morning. It’s so annoying. I did start using a device to keep the cat out at night more often and that has helped a lot. It puffs air if she tries to scratch at the bedroom door so she leaves me alone lol if it’s been a really long time she might meow the next morning but by then I’m usually ready to greet her 

• Like 3

I'm heading out for a walk with friends, then dh and I will attend ds18's graduation dinner. This is our first dc who graduates from building high school. Our oldest 2 dc were homeschooled and we didn't have a formal ceremony for them - which suited them just fine.

• Like 6

Yesterday I didn't do anything, but it's ok because I'll just workout Saturday. Today I did 62 min/521 cal. on the stationary bike. I watched TV part of the time then switched to YouTube bike scenery and started listing to the audio recording from my therapy class. Then I did some strength training. Yesterday they turned the water off TWICE (it was fixed briefly in the afternoon, then the pipe was damaged again and shut off around 5pm) so I barely had water yesterday and that was part of the reason I dragged about exercising (no ability to shower til later). It's fixed again. And I had a headache last night so I just called it a night and I'm glad. I feel so much better today. 

My weigh in today was normal (same or a few ounces off from last recorded check in) so I guess I didn't completely butcher my progress. I think I only got like 5 cups of water yesterday. Trying to do better today. 

• Like 5

@Jenny in Florida you do need to try to stay off the foot at least a week or so.  Glad nothing was broken- but give yourself a break!  

@Soror The kids are awful!  I cannot imagine speaking to anyone that way- glad DD handled it okay- I miss days without cell phones and texts!   I hope all this hardship build her into a resilient young lady.  

I've been doing really well this week- I think I've got my steps in every day, but my FitBit had a fit, and it took me half a day to get it reset,  so my times are all off.  I have been trying to get 4-5K steps on a morning walk, then finish whatever is left after dinner.  Its been soooo hot!  This morning a neighbor messaged and invited us over to pick blueberries- HOT!!!  But I've got lots of fresh berries to put up now.  I rewarded myself with a little ice cream 🍦 🍨  I figure I've burned plenty of calories today!  I'm about 8K steps, and still have a bunch of housecleaning to do.  Tomorrow I'm giving myself the day off- I'll try to walk in the morning,  the rest of the day is pool snd fun stuff, so I'm not even wearing the FitBit.  

• Like 7

@BusyMom5 I laughed at Fitbit had a fit. That sucks, though! 

@Jenny is it the challenge that is pushing you? I do think you should try to stay in the 1000k recommendation or thereabouts? I don’t wear my phone on me in the house all day so I have no idea how many steps I get from walking to the laundry room etc. I’m just concerned you are putting too much weight into the challenge goals but it may just be that you’re stir crazy and I can get that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

@Jenny is it the challenge that is pushing you? I do think you should try to stay in the 1000k recommendation or thereabouts? I don’t wear my phone on me in the house all day so I have no idea how many steps I get from walking to the laundry room etc. I’m just concerned you are putting too much weight into the challenge goals but it may just be that you’re stir crazy and I can get that. 

Definitely more that I just get really antsy sitting still. I do wear a Fitbit, so I know how many steps I clock every day, but mostly I just feel awful (both physically and emotionally) if I don't move at least some minimal amount. 

I'm not trying to "keep up" with the walking challenge for the moment. I set an ambitious goal for this season, so I'm comfortable knocking it back down a bit if it turns out that's necessary. 

At this point, though, I know the foot is not broken, and neither the ER staff nor the radiology report diagnosed anything more serious than some bruising and swelling. I'm taking it easy, walking maybe one-third the distance I normally do in a day, going slowly and slowing/stopping if I have any noticeable discomfort, substituting non weight-bearing exercise for some of the steps I would normally take, elevating the foot when I'm at my desk, icing in the evenings, etc. The swelling and bruising are continuing to fade, and I have no signs or symptoms suggesting anything more sinister is developing.

Remember that the 1000 steps recommendation was made by a PA in the ER, not a specialist. I suspect that was intended as a "first do no harm" stopgap until I spoke to the ortho. However, since I already know it's not broken or seriously injured -- and also that, if my experience with seeing the ortho for my knee a few months ago is any indication, the ortho is likely to tell me to keep doing what I want as long as I'm careful and nothing hurts -- I'm comfortable continuing as I have been and seeing where I am in a few more days.

I do appreciate the concern, though. 😊

• Like 6

2 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Does anyone know why MFP isn’t taking off any calories for steps? Maybe it’s because my steps are never high. This was one day running errands and carrying my phone but 0 calories reflected. I manually put in cal for biking. 

image.png.fb39972ac38c356443b32fe0bf516c0d.png

I think it's because MFP already takes into account a certain amount of steps based on your Fitbit activity setting? In order not to double count activity, I believe MFP allows for calories to support that level of activity, then discounts the first steps until you reach that level.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Another light day: walk at lunchtime, then off to see my mum after work.  I may fit in some yoga after supper, but I'm focusing on getting to bed early, as the morning light is waking me.

I can tell you are not 100% from your posts. It is hard when you aren't getting enough sleep.

6 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Dumbbell workout this morning.

@Soror The place we were hoping would work out for dd fell through. Back to square one. We tour another place this afternoon.

I'm sorry, how was the place yesterday?

4 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

@Soror yes they’ve run labs twice. I specified certain things and they had a standard panel they use for fatigue but I don’t recall magnesium being anywhere on the list. In the first test we discovered I was insufficient in vit D. I took more than they recommended because their recs were weak. When I returned my levels had moved into sufficient (not the greatest in that category but a huge improvement). Then I switched to a K+D combo and I take that now (lower dose). But I never addressed my magnesium issues outside of eating pumpkin seeds in my salads. Or maybe a little dark choc here and there. I’ll look into the product you mentioned.

I told the dr I’ve always required more sleep than average and consider myself a “long sleeper.” He said just try to get sleep where you can and you may want a test for sleep apnea. I can wake up feeling refreshed then need a nap later that morning. It’s so annoying. I did start using a device to keep the cat out at night more often and that has helped a lot. It puffs air if she tries to scratch at the bedroom door so she leaves me alone lol if it’s been a really long time she might meow the next morning but by then I’m usually ready to greet her 

I'd be curious if they ran a full thyroid panel and what your levels were. Seems quite often they only check TSH and even then often use outdated ranges. Sounds like testing for apnea could be a good idea too.

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'm heading out for a walk with friends, then dh and I will attend ds18's graduation dinner. This is our first dc who graduates from building high school. Our oldest 2 dc were homeschooled and we didn't have a formal ceremony for them - which suited them just fine.

Congratulations to your ds, ya!!!!

56 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

@Jenny in Florida you do need to try to stay off the foot at least a week or so.  Glad nothing was broken- but give yourself a break!  

@Soror The kids are awful!  I cannot imagine speaking to anyone that way- glad DD handled it okay- I miss days without cell phones and texts!   I hope all this hardship build her into a resilient young lady.  

I've been doing really well this week- I think I've got my steps in every day, but my FitBit had a fit, and it took me half a day to get it reset,  so my times are all off.  I have been trying to get 4-5K steps on a morning walk, then finish whatever is left after dinner.  Its been soooo hot!  This morning a neighbor messaged and invited us over to pick blueberries- HOT!!!  But I've got lots of fresh berries to put up now.  I rewarded myself with a little ice cream 🍦 🍨  I figure I've burned plenty of calories today!  I'm about 8K steps, and still have a bunch of housecleaning to do.  Tomorrow I'm giving myself the day off- I'll try to walk in the morning,  the rest of the day is pool snd fun stuff, so I'm not even wearing the FitBit.  

Free blueberries nice, I bet you did burn tons of calories in that heat.

• Like 3

So, I don't know that PT was that helpful. Reserving judgement until the next visit MOnday. She thinks my back problem is this little bitty muscle deep in there and maybe caused from my hip being off? She did some work on my back and did the estim on it. My hip wasn't hurting at the time so not much help there. I just have 1 exercise  for each for at home and she told me to take it easy. I tried to explain to her that I've tried the take it easy and it has not worked and the hip exercise she gave me is very similar to one I already did. Seems I need to do a lower body workout the day before the next time so I can give better feedback. 

You guys will be so proud. I went to the walking track and noticed people playing a game below. I got up the nerve to talk to them and sure enough they are the pickleball club (I've never seen it played before but was guessing). I started following the group a few months ago but then there was the wreck and vaca and I was busy and nervous. They were very friendly and even have supplies so you just show up.  I might be able to catch them some when the girls have tkd.

And I signed up for a membership to the indoor pool. I'm going to try and take the girls once a week. I'm going to attempt to swim if the lanes are open and I have enough nerve. 

lower body strength today (keeping to a shorter workout)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I think it's because MFP already takes into account a certain amount of steps based on your Fitbit activity setting? In order not to double count activity, I believe MFP allows for calories to support that level of activity, then discounts the first steps until you reach that level.

I don’t use a Fitbit. 

15 minutes ago, Soror said:

So, I don't know that PT was that helpful. Reserving judgement until the next visit MOnday. She thinks my back problem is this little bitty muscle deep in there and maybe caused from my hip being off? She did some work on my back and did the estim on it. My hip wasn't hurting at the time so not much help there. I just have 1 exercise  for each for at home and she told me to take it easy. I tried to explain to her that I've tried the take it easy and it has not worked and the hip exercise she gave me is very similar to one I already did. Seems I need to do a lower body workout the day before the next time so I can give better feedback. 

You guys will be so proud. I went to the walking track and noticed people playing a game below. I got up the nerve to talk to them and sure enough they are the pickleball club (I've never seen it played before but was guessing). I started following the group a few months ago but then there was the wreck and vaca and I was busy and nervous. They were very friendly and even have supplies so you just show up.  I might be able to catch them some when the girls have tkd.

And I signed up for a membership to the indoor pool. I'm going to try and take the girls once a week. I'm going to attempt to swim if the lanes are open and I have enough nerve. 

lower body strength today (keeping to a shorter workout)

That’s frustrating about the PT visit. 
Yes, try pickleball. My dad plays several days a week with a group. I played just twice while visiting him. I have that on my list to meet up with some players one day here (closest group to my house) but it’s super inconvenient (they meet 45 min away from my house and there’s just one evening for all levels/beginners and they practice at a place that charges a fee). 
There are different quality paddles. My dad owns a couple. The group told me I could borrow one if I show up. 
Yay for a pool. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Soror said:

I'd be curious if they ran a full thyroid panel and what your levels were. Seems quite often they only check TSH and even then often use outdated ranges. Sounds like testing for apnea could be a good idea too.

I pulled up my results from the app. For THS it was 1.37. They also tested B12 that visit. It was 346. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, heartlikealion said:

I pulled up my results from the app. For THS it was 1.37. They also tested B12 that visit. It was 346. 

TSH is good but sounds like they didn't do a full panel. They should have tested for Free T3 and Free T4 at a minimum to check thyroid function. 

On the B12-- not sure the range but I know on my labs that would be on the lower range. Lots of people are low and it can have a big affect on your energy. I take a B complex every day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Soror said:

TSH is good but sounds like they didn't do a full panel. They should have tested for Free T3 and Free T4 at a minimum to check thyroid function. 

On the B12-- not sure the range but I know on my labs that would be on the lower range. Lots of people are low and it can have a big affect on your energy. I take a B complex every day.

I urged them to test anything that could be causing fatigue and said thyroid, vit D, etc and they rattled off a list of what they do. It sounded longer than what I see in my patient portal. I’ll look into upping B12. It says my next check up (due to the high blood pressure) is early Aug. I want to try to find a free blood pressure test like inside Sam’s or somewhere (I can’t remember who has them). I’m sure it’s improving because of the exercise.

• Like 1

Just ordered these but they aren’t expected til end of July. NATURELO Vegan B12 with Organic Spirulina - Vegan Supplement for Energy, Metabolism and Stress - High Potency 1000 mcg B12 (Methylcobalamin) - Non GMO, Gluten Free - 90 Mini Capsules https://a.co/d/6s61USp

For a while I was taking B12 gummies and I still have some but I prefer not to take gummies as I think they’re bad for teeth. 

• Like 2

Pickleball is often the 'evil' cousin taking over tennis courts amongst my tennis community. It's annoying when there are pickleball lines painted on a tennis court, which makes indentifying when fast moving balls are in or out. What's worse is when the pickleball takes over a tennis club and removes the tennis nets to put in shorter ones, closer together.  I've played pickleball a couple of times and I don't like the paddles, balls, and especially the scoring system. The whole game is like playing ping pong on a giant tabletop. 

Having slammed pickleball, I will say that it's great to see people outdoors and in being active and enjoying themselves. Just don't mess with my tennis! 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1