Menu

Well-trained bodies - June

Laura Corin

Apparently, I spent too much time just sitting at my desk yesterday (lots of meetings), because when I came up for air after work I realized I still had nearly half of the day's steps to do. I made the goal with a 4.4K walk after dinner.

It's the start of a new seasonal walking challenge today. Since there are more days in this season, I bumped my goal to 600K. Started the day with the usual 4K, then did a 20-minute seated upper body video. I planned to follow that with some additional PT/stretching exercises for my legs, but ended up using the time to water plants and start laundry, instead. 

We'll see how the rest of the day goes. I've arranged to take a long. late "lunch" bread to drop my husband at the repair shop to collect his car, then drive across town to collect our t-shirts and bibs for the 5K we're walking on Saturday. Packet pickup is happening at a running supply shop, and I am in fairly desperate need of new walking shoes, so I hope to knock out that errand while I'm on site before scooting back home to finish off the workday. 

Spring Start Challenge: 554.5 of 550K
Summer Splash Challenge: 4.1 of 600K
Walking Streak: 30 days

• Like 6

Hello all,

We'll be on vacation until June 14th. So, until then it will just be lots of walking for exercise. Although we are trying to do one busier day and then a quieter day. The kids are doing fairly well, dd1 (had the accident) gets worn out easier than the rest of us and gets grumpy. But she is doing better with the slower pace in Scotland. Hoping London will be ok for her, although it us busier we have lots of time so we don't have to cram things in.

After Vaca I'll take a few days off to recovery and then get back to lifting. 

• Like 8

I broke my remaining steps into two walks last night, one before and one after some chores I needed to do around the house. The dog opted not to go with me for the first outing, which gave me the opportunity to chat with some birds along the way.

Also, got new walking shoes yesterday. They feel very different from the ones I have been wearing, so we'll see how long it takes to get used to them and whether I like them better.

Walked the usual 4K this morning and spent a good, long time on the patio doing strength and stretching stuff. I've noticed lately that I'm having trouble lifting the dumbbells I was using just a couple of months ago. Not sure what that's about, but I'm forging ahead with the usual routine and adapting as necessary. 

The usual plan for a walk or two later today to finish off the steps. (My husband has his gamer friends coming tonight, which should be a nice incentive to get out for a long walk. They're a perfectly pleasant crew, but it gets pretty loud when they are around.)

Summer Splash Challenge: 12.4 of 600K
Walking Streak: 31 days

IMG_20220601_192933967_HDR.jpg

• Like 7

@Jenny in Florida love the ?cranes?

I'm took the bus to work again today.  I find taking buses calming - there's nothing you can do to go faster, so you just have to let go and let be.

PJ sun salutations first thing; walking to the supermarket and back for veg at lunchtime.  I'll either cook, or do yoga and rowing after work.  Or maybe just sit down with a cup of tea.

Tomorrow is a bank holiday for the 'Jubbly' so I shan't be working

image.png.f107ff06696acbad185a4f6691720ea2.png

https://inews.co.uk/news/platinum-jubbly-royal-souvenirs-sold-off-after-misprint-1436335

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

@Jenny in Florida love the ?cranes?

I'm took the bus to work again today.  I find taking buses calming - there's nothing you can do to go faster, so you just have to let go and let be.

PJ sun salutations first thing; walking to the supermarket and back for veg at lunchtime.  I'll either cook, or do yoga and rowing after work.  Or maybe just sit down with a cup of tea.

Tomorrow is a bank holiday for the 'Jubbly' so I shan't be working

image.png.f107ff06696acbad185a4f6691720ea2.png

https://inews.co.uk/news/platinum-jubbly-royal-souvenirs-sold-off-after-misprint-1436335

I big-puffy-heart LOVE the JUBBLY!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I planned my 'jubbly' holiday to be yoga followed by an eight-mile walk then some work in the garden. The yoga went fine but two miles into the walk I was already knackered.  I managed the eight miles very slowly and am now sitting in the garden with a series of cups of tea. 

@Soror I hope the trip is going well.  I was going to mention that I only diagnosed the cause of my hip problem when I went on holiday and just walked for a few days, and my hip improved. I realised then  that something about my yoga - it was Pigeon - was straining my hip. I was wondering whether it was worth looking at your normal exercise to try to spot possible stresses.

• Like 8

I spent all my breaks and free time yesterday in the kitchen helping my husband get ready for his gamer buddies to gather here last night, meaning I was pretty short on steps by the time that after-work walk rolled around. I ended up walking just short of 5K to meet the daily goal. Fortunately, I made it home before the heavy rain hit.

Started this morning earlier than usual in order to be ready for a (virtual) doctor appointment, but managed a 4K walk and a 20-minute seated upper body video. 

The dog has a new prescription ready for pickup at the vet, so I may make her walk up there with me after my last meeting this afternoon (weather permitting). Then, of course, I'll walk again this evening -- or do something indoors if it's wet outside -- to finish off the day's steps.

Summer Splash Challenge: 21.1 of 600K
Walking Streak: 32 days

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 6

Yesterday was originally scheduled for gyrotonics, but the instructor has covid so that was a wash. I had huuuuuuuuge deadlines for work and ended up with very little sleep, which meant I never turned my attention to exercising either. C'est la vie. After this month I will be taking hiatus for a couple months from one big piece of my job, and I am looking forward to more free time.

Today I did a solid weights and core workout. I think I pushed a bit too much with the injured shoulder and arm--it has been feeling a bit better and there were motions that seemed to be working *fine* for the first time in a while, so I was glad to push the envelope a bit but am a little stiff and sore now.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I did my treadmill yesterday and I did Root to Rise yoga this morning. That's a good one--enough downward dogs to feel pretty active but I can do everything in it.

Prepping for crazy week this weekend. We have youngest finishing up and moving out of her dorm days before her sister graduates and also moves out. I'm still teaching both this week and next, so dh is handling the bulk of this, but I am taking 2 days off and will have long drives to CA and back. So I will have a busy weekend just planning out the rest of the school year. More rain here--rainy on weekends and nice during the week.

• Like 6

The dog absolutely did not want to go for that walk to the vet yesterday, but I did it (treating myself to an iced oat milk latte before starting back home). She did consent to join me for a short walk later in the evening to finish off the day's steps.

Started this morning with another short walk so she could stretch her legs. Then my husband and I went across town to participate in the CommUNITY Rainbow Run, which honors the victims of the Pulse shooting and raises funds for the permanent museum.

No additional exercise so far today. I may do some kind of make-up activity tomorrow.

I'll do the usual evening walk later to meet my step/mileage goal for the day.

Summer Splash Challenge: 26.6 of 600K
Walking Streak: 33 days

• Like 6

A quiet day today. Pj sun salutations and a 2 1/2 mile walk, plus some light gardening. I'm feeling less worn out than I did yesterday. 

Next week is busy. To celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary,  we are taking a two-day walking break,  staying over at a very nice restaurant-with-rooms. Then on Friday we will attend my uncle's funeral, after which my brother will come to stay and visit my mum. 

• Like 6

Getting back into routine here after our recent trip. 30 minutes rowing and a walk this morning and lots of weeding in the neglected garden in the afternoon.

@Soror Have a fantastic vacation! I hope the change in routine and scenery is healing for your daughter

@Jenny in Florida The cranes are gorgeous and so exotic! They just walk around your neighbourhood?

@Laura Corin Happy anniversary! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Driving down to London today. Long day of travel. Getting in lots of pretty walking/hiking. Wish we would have stayed in Scotland longer. It was gorgeous and we lucked out with great weather 

Dh thought when we planned more time in London would be better. To our surprise the kids have enjoyed the more rural areas more too. We should have fairly slow days in London.

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Soror said:

Driving down to London today. Long day of travel. Getting in lots of pretty walking/hiking. Wish we would have stayed in Scotland longer. It was gorgeous and we lucked out with great weather 

Dh thought when we planned more time in London would be better. To our surprise the kids have enjoyed the more rural areas more too. We should have fairly slow days in London.

Enjoy the trip!  I find Google maps to be pretty good for planning to avoid traffic snarls in real time - Jubilee weekend,  etc.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Enjoy the trip!  I find Google maps to be pretty good for planning to avoid traffic snarls in real time - Jubilee weekend,  etc.

Thanks! Not too bad so far, were about halfway to Stonehenge. We left out around 7.

• Like 2

Convinced the dog to go for a short walk (2.25K) last night to finish off the day's steps.

She stayed home this morning, though, because I disrupted her schedule by sleeping a little later than usual and it was already warm by the time I was heading out. I walked 5K to earn the Run Across America badge for the Summer Splash Challenge. For some reason, I never can keep up the same pace for virtual races as I can manage for the in-person ones, but given the temperature and the fact that it was my second event in two days, I'm choosing not to worry about it.

I really should do some additional exercise to make up for skipping yesterday, but it's late in the morning and I have other things I want to accomplish today. So, probably won't.

I will, as usual, plan on at least one more walk later in the day to get to my daily step/mileage goal.

Summer Splash Challenge: 34.0 of 600K
Walking Streak: 34 days

• Like 6

@Soror I love hearing updates on your trip!

We got back from our vacation a week ago, but we picked up a bug towards the end of it, and everyone has been sick all week!  I tried getting 10K steps a day, but just gave up.  I'm back today, though!  Going to try to get back on track for a healthier lifestyle!

Goals for the week- 10K steps every day!  

Food- make better choices (I ate ice cream a few times this week)

Try a new recipie- suggestions?  

I haven't put a weight loss number as a goal, but I do need to loose some weight.  I was trying to focus on getting in more exercise and being more aware of my food first.  I did loose about 4lbs last month!  I would like to dip to 150lbs by July 1st.  Thats 4-5 more pounds.  I'm hoping with summer produce and pretty weather, it will be easier.   

• Like 7

2 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

@Soror I love hearing updates on your trip!

We got back from our vacation a week ago, but we picked up a bug towards the end of it, and everyone has been sick all week!  I tried getting 10K steps a day, but just gave up.  I'm back today, though!  Going to try to get back on track for a healthier lifestyle!

Goals for the week- 10K steps every day!  

Food- make better choices (I ate ice cream a few times this week)

Try a new recipie- suggestions?  

I haven't put a weight loss number as a goal, but I do need to loose some weight.  I was trying to focus on getting in more exercise and being more aware of my food first.  I did loose about 4lbs last month!  I would like to dip to 150lbs by July 1st.  Thats 4-5 more pounds.  I'm hoping with summer produce and pretty weather, it will be easier.   

What kind of thing do you like to eat?

Today I've been fairly active but nothing too vigorous - pj sun salutations and lots of light gardening. And I'll go for a walk in a second.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Oh no, @Soror there's a London Tube strike! I hope it isn't too disruptive. 

Me - our little dog was poorly first thing, so things didn't go to plan. I'll go out for a walk in a minute. 

Lol. Girl...... We've apparently used up all our good luck in Scotland getting that nice weather. The last 12 hours has been rough. Screwed up the address to our rental and didn't end up there until nearly midnight after leaving at 7. 8+ hrs of driving and 5+ of trains/subways. Then our house was not as advertised (or reviews said). Dirty, ants, in bad shape. We went ahead and crashed but working today on switching rentals. Now trying to make it to new rental but the strike is making it hard to get anywhere and we're lugging all all luggage.

I've lost count of how many connections we've made today. Finally on the bus to go to go to the park by our new rental and wait until we can check in. Cross your fingers.

Edited by Soror
  • Sad 5

@Laura Corin I hope your pup is feeling better soon.

I got some incidental steps yesterday doing some impromptu shopping and chores with our son. He got home from a few weeks away and a) wanted to come say hi on a day his girlfriend was working and he was bored and b) is very broke and figured he'd take us up on our standing invitation to get paid for doing stuff around the house that we can't/don't want to do. Then, I finished up with a short (2.2K) walk to log the remaining steps.

Started this morning with the usual 4K around the neighborhood. I ventured out onto the patio to do the day's strength and stretching, which may have been a mistake. It's quite humid and muggy today, and the exertion in that weather has left me feeling kind of draggy and queasy. I'm hoping breakfast and sitting in the air conditioning will resolve it.

Summer Splash Challenge: 40.3 of 600K
Walking Streak: 35 days

• Like 4

@Laura Corin I think a dessert,  summery treat recipie would be great!  We don't eat a lot of spicy, but do like Mexican dishes.  Just thinking something new!  I hope your puppy is okay.

@Soror I hope today goes much better!  Online rentals can be so hit or miss.   

@Jenny in Florida I hope you are feeling better.  We picked whatever this is up in Florida last week. I'm beginning to wonder if its Covid varient bc I'm still so tired and so is DH.  

I barely got my steps in yesterday bc I'm just so tired.  I think I'm even walking slow.  I'm trying to go without the anti-inflammatory for my back, since I've been on it a month.  Hope today goes better.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Lol. Girl...... We've apparently used up all our good luck in Scotland getting that nice weather. The last 12 hours has been rough. Screwed up the address to our rental and didn't end up there until nearly midnight after leaving at 7. 8+ hrs of driving and 5+ of trains/subways. Then our house was not as advertised (or reviews said). Dirty, ants, in bad shape. We went ahead and crashed but working today on switching rentals. Now trying to make it to new rental but the strike is making it hard to get anywhere and we're lugging all all luggage.

I've lost count of how many connections we've made today. Finally on the bus to go to go to the park by our new rental and wait until we can check in. Cross your fingers.

I'm so sorry.  We just sold our rental property in London, so I can't send you there. I hope that you manage to salvage something from your London experience.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

@Laura Corin I think a dessert,  summery treat recipie would be great!  We don't eat a lot of spicy, but do like Mexican dishes.  Just thinking something new!  I hope your puppy is okay.

@Soror I hope today goes much better!  Online rentals can be so hit or miss.   

@Jenny in Florida I hope you are feeling better.  We picked whatever this is up in Florida last week. I'm beginning to wonder if its Covid varient bc I'm still so tired and so is DH.  

I barely got my steps in yesterday bc I'm just so tired.  I think I'm even walking slow.  I'm trying to go without the anti-inflammatory for my back, since I've been on it a month.  Hope today goes better.

Ugh that sounds miserable. Do you guys have the free COVID tests they sent. I think I'd check at this point.

11 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm so sorry.  We just sold our rental property in London, so I can't send you there. I hope that you manage to salvage something from your London experience.

That would have been great! We finally made it to our new place around 4 after 3 hours on buses and subways. Our new place is fabulous. Clean and in good repair (looks recently remodeled)! Much better location. The customer service has been excellent. I sent a message asking if there were any knives at 8 (after cutting chicken with a pizza cutter). She brought us another set of cutlery, dishes, knife block, chocolates, bags and journals at 11pm (there is a cupboard outside of the apartment where she left it- I guess she made a run to Tesco?). This guy recently took over the rental so the kitchen is a little sparse (although serviceable and miles better than the last place). I won't be sending anymore messages though as they've already done so much. She literally told us to call her anytime day or night for anything whatsoever. So we are doing much better now and with the strike over hoping for much smoother sailing. I'm up in the night for some reason but plan on sleeping in so it is ok 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Soror said:

Ugh that sounds miserable. Do you guys have the free COVID tests they sent. I think I'd check at this point.

That would have been great! We finally made it to our new place around 4 after 3 hours on buses and subways. Our new place is fabulous. Clean and in good repair (looks recently remodeled)! Much better location. The customer service has been excellent. I sent a message asking if there were any knives at 8 (after cutting chicken with a pizza cutter). She brought us another set of cutlery, dishes, knife block, chocolates, bags and journals at 11pm (there is a cupboard outside of the apartment where she left it- I guess she made a run to Tesco?). This guy recently took over the rental so the kitchen is a little sparse (although serviceable and miles better than the last place). I won't be sending anymore messages though as they've already done so much. She literally told us to call her anytime day or night for anything whatsoever. So we are doing much better now and with the strike over hoping for much smoother sailing. I'm up in the night for some reason but plan on sleeping in so it is ok 

I'm so glad you made it to somewhere decent at last! Sleep tight! 

• Like 1

@BusyMom5 Thanks! The not-exactly-headache and general blech seemed to resolve once it finally rained and the humidity broke. 

@YaelAldrich That's a lot of miles for just a few days! No wonder you're tired.

Unfortunately, feeling crummy yesterday left me with a ton of steps still to log after work. So I dragged the dog out with me for about 4.5K around the neighborhood just after dinner. (Along the way, I encountered some wildlife I've never seen just perambulating along a sidewalk.)

Started this morning with a little more than the usual 4K and then did an easy--"level 1," according to the trainer--seated upper body workout. 

Work has been extremely demanding recently, which means I have a lot fewer opportunities to get up and away from my desk during the day. I'm facing another one of those more-than-I-really-want-to-do-in-the-evening walks tonight unless I can find a way to break it up.

Summer Splash Challenge: 48.7 of 600K
Walking Streak: 36 days

IMG_20220606_072524530.jpg

IMG_20220606_072543875.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Ummmmmm @Jenny in Florida do I want to know what kind of bug that is?!? 😳

Have had some super busy days here and routines are changing. I’ve been rowing most days and went for a 3 mile walk this morning, and I’ll do some yoga before making dinner. I need to make sure I’m prioritising myself despite the needs and demands of others. 

• Like 6

Just now, YaelAldrich said:

Okay, I get that in Florida you'll see alligators any and everywhere. But lobsters on sidewalks? Were they asking for directions to the nearest restaurant? 

It's tough to tell without something for scale, but I think it was actually a crawfish (AKA crayfish, craydids, crawdaddies, crawdads, freshwater lobsters, mountain lobsters, rock lobsters, mudbugs, baybugs or--apparently--yabbies). We have a number of small lakes in our neighborhood.

I've never before seen one of these critters just strolling about, though. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Okay, I get that in Florida you'll see alligators any and everywhere. But lobsters on sidewalks? Were they asking for directions to the nearest restaurant? 

Exactly what I was thinking! (you know you’re a New Englander when…lol)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We are over on the west coast of Scotland,  which Slartbartfast designed with lovely crinkly edges https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/8433776-well-the-earth-mark-two-in-fact-said-slartibartfast-cheerfully

Went for a two-hour walk along a sea loch and through some woods. Amazing weather. The last picture is the view from our bedroom window.

20220607_150004.jpg

20220607_155147.jpg

20220607_214737.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I took a walk today on the lane next to our house. Unfortunately I couldn't enjoy it.

I had typed all this out because I'm so used to chatting with you folks in this thread, and realized I should make it another thread.

Our next door neighbor is obsessed with his meticulous lawn. He runs motors of various sorts over it for hours and hours every week--as in, 3-4 times each week, he will spend 3-5 hours continuously mowing, weed whacking, and blowing. I actually moved my office into the basement several years ago so I wouldn't hear it, though now my office is upstairs again so that dh's pandemic office could be in the basement. More recently, we have both had to work upstairs since January due to basement rehab project and now due to a huge plumbing repair.

Yesterday the neighbor actually weed whacked ON MY PROPERTY. He has also repeatedly over the last few years purposely blown mulch OFF the flower bed that borders the lane. PURPOSELY. Dh went over to tell him not to alter any part of our property and he proudly proclaimed he would keep doing whatever he feels necessary to keep the lane "clear."

For the record, while our gardens are not as meticulous as the neighbor's, dh does keep up with the yard. Dh spends hours mowing and weed whacking. Part of what neighbor trimmed is an area we are specifically trying to re-forest (and he knows it as we have explained it to him), and part of what neighbor trimmed is an area dh had trimmed a few days earlier. We do not need or want our weird neighbor on our property messing with things. I hate this.

So we have the most gorgeous, forested lane next to our house that has just a few houses on it. We have always loved walking on the lane. We bought this house almost a decade ago because of the big, forested yard and because of the beautiful lane. And now I just feel bitter and upset because this horrible neighbor destroys our peace constantly with his motors and with his shenanigans.

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

Hi ladies, I'm popping back in to say a quick hello and that I'm feeling quite a bit better emotionally. I had my 4 wisdom teeth extracted by a brilliant dental surgeon, and I'm feeling good today. Yesterday was rough, but it's all a memory now. I have to keep my physical activity very light for the next 5 - 7 days, so I'll only be walking and doing light yard work.

@Laura Corin Lovely photos! Enjoy your rambling in the gorgeous scenery. I love that beck in the forest. I should have gone for that look rather than all the heavy rocks. 😅

@Harriet Vane Sorry about your annoying neighbour. Hope that you can outlast his annoyingness and find a way to live in peace. It sounds like you have an amazing property to enjoy! I back onto a noisy highway, so I can't complain about the constant noise. Though our neighbour's 3 barky dogs have added unwelcome sounds at times. I've tried to find places and times when it's relaxing and create some areas of peace and beauty. Sometimes it's in my own yard, and often it's a walk or car ride away. There is always going to be something to spoil the view or quiet.

Here's my 'little bit of peace' I've been constructing in my backyard. It's been a labour of love, but I'm not a fan of the plumbing and water leaking side of this project. It's still got leaks I'm trying to address, so I can't run the waterfall for very long. I'm still hopeful to fix it up without spending $$$ on the foam insulation. 😁

20220605_175156.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@wintermom Your waterfall is wonderful!!! I've been following your progress with interest. You've shared so many nature photos here, I didn't realize you were right up against a highway. We are originally from Chicago, and we lived for many years in a dense, urban neighborhood. We were right down the block from both a hospital and a bus stop, and the el stop was four blocks away. We had constant traffic and especially bus noise, as well as the el train sounds and ambulances. There was also a constant hum of people talking and children playing as the block always had people out in the yards or walking through. We weren't crazy about the noise, but that's just life in the city (though we didn't like it one bit when it was still noisy at 1am or later, like if others were out on their lawn partying). I was actually pretty good at distancing myself from the hum of the city. My current neighbor's constant motors affect me differently--the unrelenting growl of those machines for that many hours in a row really drives me crazy. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

41 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

@wintermom Your waterfall is wonderful!!! I've been following your progress with interest. You've shared so many nature photos here, I didn't realize you were right up against a highway. We are originally from Chicago, and we lived for many years in a dense, urban neighborhood. We were right down the block from both a hospital and a bus stop, and the el stop was four blocks away. We had constant traffic and especially bus noise, as well as the el train sounds and ambulances. There was also a constant hum of people talking and children playing as the block always had people out in the yards or walking through. We weren't crazy about the noise, but that's just life in the city (though we didn't like it one bit when it was still noisy at 1am or later, like if others were out on their lawn partying). I was actually pretty good at distancing myself from the hum of the city. My current neighbor's constant motors affect me differently--the unrelenting growl of those machines for that many hours in a row really drives me crazy. 

I understand completely! I'd be so disappointed to believe I was getting away from the hustle and bustle of city life, only to encounter 'country' noise being annoying in a different and worse way. We had a bunch of chain saw action after our huge storm a couple weeks ago. Blended in with the gas powered generators going 24/7 added to the 'new noise.'

How long have you been living in your current place? Maybe time will help and you'll eventually not notice the growl of machines. I've heard that people living beside a train get so used to it that they miss it when they move. When we lost our power a couple weeks ago, I couldn't sleep well because the indoor humming had been masking the outdoor traffic humming. Can you do some form of white noise to mask the outdoor growl so you don't lose your mind? 😨

• Like 2

Welcome back @wintermom. I hope your teeth heal well. Your water project is amazing.

I woke much too early and went for a walk from the cabin where we were staying. The walk was good and brisk, to outpace the midges. We planned a longer walk this afternoon,  but it was pouring with rain and we were tired, so we just drove on home. I'm going to do some yoga in a minute.

Now, I'm sitting watching the dog, who is having a break from wearing the cone of shame after her vet visit on Monday. She's doing well on antibiotics. 

Tomorrow I'll be going to the office by bus, so lots of walking. Friday might be a complete rest day, as in the afternoon we are going to my uncle's funeral. He had a good long life and died quickly, so I look forward to celebrating what a lovely man he was.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

I understand completely! I'd be so disappointed to believe I was getting away from the hustle and bustle of city life, only to encounter 'country' noise being annoying in a different and worse way. We had a bunch of chain saw action after our huge storm a couple weeks ago. Blended in with the gas powered generators going 24/7 added to the 'new noise.'

How long have you been living in your current place? Maybe time will help and you'll eventually not notice the growl of machines. I've heard that people living beside a train get so used to it that they miss it when they move. When we lost our power a couple weeks ago, I couldn't sleep well because the indoor humming had been masking the outdoor traffic humming. Can you do some form of white noise to mask the outdoor growl so you don't lose your mind? 😨

It has been almost ten years and I'm not used to it yet. For many years my solution was to retreat into the basement to work in my office down there. It was also easier in the years that kids were home, because I was always running out to drop them off or pick them up or take them to soccer or fencing or what have you. Now I'm mostly home.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1