Menu

Well-trained bodies - June

Laura Corin

1 hour ago, BusyMom5 said:

I feel ya!  DH and I were discussing a treadmill yesterday.  I prefer a walk bc its my quiet time and peaceful.  I like having a few minutes to quiet my mind and just think.  I have been just walking my driveway over and over so I can hear the little one playing and check on her each lap.  Its about 800 steps, so I make a LOT of laps!  This may sound weird,  but are there any stores near TQD that you could walk in?  Maybe even Walmart?  An indoor walking track?  

Yes, I like the time outside. Walmart would not be calm and relaxing at all, lol. I avoid it when at all possible.There is an indoor walking track but it about 15 minutes there from TKD so it depends on the day whether or not that would be worth it. 

I think I'll see how the traffic is early. Maybe if I get out before 7 it will not be too busy. I also have work to do around the yard so that will be some steps and that will just be what I get done some days.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

When I used to walk outside I'd do it early in the morning (I had to be back by 7:20 am) or in the evening then get straight in the shower when I got home. I also used to mow the lawn as a form of exercise and tried to avoid the hottest part of the day but no matter when I did it, it was quite miserable lol. I just took water everywhere I went. I don't know if Jenny has somewhere where she can access a pool. I recently called the country club (it's near the home I'm moving to this summer) to inquire about a summer membership and they told me you have to pay for a year-long membership 😞 

Yes, I walk first thing in the morning, ideally leaving the house before 6:30 to get in my 45-60 minutes well before 8:00. When I can stand it, I try to do my other exercise out on the screened patio just to soak up a little more outdoor time before I have to settle at my desk for the day. Sometimes, though, I just have to retreat inside.

Then I wait until 7:00PM or later to go for the second walk and, yes, often walk straight from the front door to the shower when I get back.

We do have a community pool, but it's not super convenient to use it as often as I would like. It's about 20 minutes to walk there from the house, which isn't too bad, except that I do still need to walk the dog in the morning (and she can't go to the pool). So, that 40-minute round trip walk added to enough swimming time to make it worthwhile to go makes for a big chunk out of the day. It's not really a practical amount of time to do in the morning, and by the time after work rolls around, the weather is often not great for swimming.

We're hoping that having the Vespas will encourage us to get up there more often, since it's a perfect destination for a quick scooter trip.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Yes, I walk first thing in the morning, ideally leaving the house before 6:30 to get in my 45-60 minutes well before 8:00. When I can stand it, I try to do my other exercise out on the screened patio just to soak up a little more outdoor time before I have to settle at my desk for the day. Sometimes, though, I just have to retreat inside.

Then I wait until 7:00PM or later to go for the second walk and, yes, often walk straight from the front door to the shower when I get back.

We do have a community pool, but it's not super convenient to use it as often as I would like. It's about 20 minutes to walk there from the house, which isn't too bad, except that I do still need to walk the dog in the morning (and she can't go to the pool). So, that 40-minute round trip walk added to enough swimming time to make it worthwhile to go makes for a big chunk out of the day. It's not really a practical amount of time to do in the morning, and by the time after work rolls around, the weather is often not great for swimming.

We're hoping that having the Vespas will encourage us to get up there more often, since it's a perfect destination for a quick scooter trip.

Do you also have a car? Because I guess I'd maybe just walk the dog, bring the dog home, then get in the car to drive to the pool lol. The vespa would work too as long as it wasn't too slippery to sit on after a pool trip and you had enough storage for your towel or whatever. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BusyMom5 said:

I feel ya!  DH and I were discussing a treadmill yesterday.  I prefer a walk bc its my quiet time and peaceful.  I like having a few minutes to quiet my mind and just think.  I have been just walking my driveway over and over so I can hear the little one playing and check on her each lap.  Its about 800 steps, so I make a LOT of laps!  This may sound weird,  but are there any stores near TQD that you could walk in?  Maybe even Walmart?  An indoor walking track?  

My husband does most of his walking in the house . . . back and forth from the front entryway to the sliding patio doors. I find that kind of thing hard on my knees, because it requires me to turn more often than walking longer stretches outside, but it works for him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, heartlikealion said:

Do you also have a car? Because I guess I'd maybe just walk the dog, bring the dog home, then get in the car to drive to the pool lol. The vespa would work too as long as it wasn't too slippery to sit on after a pool trip and you had enough storage for your towel or whatever. 

We do have cars. This is probably just a me thing, but it feels silly or indulgent or something to take the car to the pool. (I know it's nonsensical. If I'm willing to drive one motorized vehicle, then why not another? No clue. It's just how my brain works.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

We do have cars. This is probably just a me thing, but it feels silly or indulgent or something to take the car to the pool. (I know it's nonsensical. If I'm willing to drive one motorized vehicle, then why not another? No clue. It's just how my brain works.)

I used to refuse to drive to the bus stop if I could avoid it because it seemed silly to me to do so. But other people did it. I can see it both ways. But since you already got one walk in (with the dog) I think I'd tell myself it's okay... plus I would probably be self conscious riding back from the pool on a bike (vs hidden inside a car) depending on what I was wearing/how damp I was. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

I marvel that people living in the south can get outdoors to exercise at all in the hot, humid conditions. You must become somewhat acclimatized to it, but even so - that's some muggy weather for the body to deal with!

Can you trade some 'steps' for 'strokes' and swim more often in the heat?

When I lived in Hong Kong, I used to walk just whenever I could. I walked, got soaked in sweat, and took one of my three cool showers a day. I didn't walk far or fast in summer though   - it just made me feel wobbly. It was there that I took adult swimming classes, so I swam for exercise in summer.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

When I lived in Hong Kong, I used to walk just whenever I could. I walked, got soaked in sweat, and took one of my three cool showers a day. I didn't walk far or fast in summer though   - it just made me feel wobbly. It was there that I took adult swimming classes, so I swam for exercise in summer.

3 showers? See, I'm worried about the water bill so I try to limit it to one ha. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

3 showers? See, I'm worried about the water bill so I try to limit it to one ha. 

I think the water wasn't metered. I didn't like air conditioning, so in the afternoon if we didn't go to the pool, the kids would sometimes play in a cool bath or paddling pool.

• Like 3

Today I did a 15 min exercise routine using my dvd set I bought like 6 months ago. I used modifications for some. I can’t do proper push ups right now and my floor hurts! I tried dd’s old nap mat but didn’t help much so I did some exercises against the wall or standing where they gave an alternative. 

Then I did the exercises my friend suggested (8 reps for each): 

1. sit up shoulder press

2. Banded row

3. quarter reverse lunge 

4. bicep curls (8lb weights) 

5. Triceps 

6. knee ups 

7. wall core reaches 

Then 40 min on my bike. I use the handles on the bike for my banded rows lol 

image.png.87d5bdf659e2e1175d492a8e3f3e99f6.png

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Ya, that would be a big chunk of time. That would work well if it was taking the kids swimming and you didn't work but already having a full time job you don't have near as much time. Before the kids got out of school I didn't like to leave for a walk until 7 after the left but they are off for the summer so I have more time to see them and they aren't likely awake so early anyway. 

16 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm not a great swimmer but find pools more tolerable than open bodies of water. The closest pools are nearly 30 minutes away by car so not a frequent thing but maybe some. The girls love swimming.

22 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

The walking sounds like a real issue. I wonder about a walking video from Youtube or something like that? Or trying something new, like Zumba or barre workouts? Gyrokinesis can be done on a stool and there are zillions of videos on Youtube. (It's part of the Gyrotonics "family"--but gyrotonics happens on a special, elaborate pulley system while gyrokinesis happens on a stool.)

I might very well end up doing some walking videos. I already do strength training and HIIT. Just looking to get some steps in.

22 hours ago, wintermom said:

Hope you sleep returns to normal very soon. 

That's super annoying about the limited local outdoor walking. Can you put on a layer of light clothing and risk the woods? At least it'll be cooler. Perhaps not everyday, but on the nice days when you just want to enjoy the outdoors?  Can you kayak for some outdoor time? 

I'd prefer not to kayak alone and dh has been so busy. Kayaking has been more his thing than mine. I'm not a big lover of water activities. 

22 hours ago, wintermom said:

Thankfully, I'm feeling much better this morning after a relaxing evening yesterday trying to shake off the nausea and other weird feelings.

I'm playing doubles tennis for 2 hours tonight, plus doing some gardening this morning. A friend is gifting me with some perrenials that are in over-abundance in her garden. 

Glad to hear that. How is today after the tennis?

21 hours ago, wintermom said:

I marvel that people living in the south can get outdoors to exercise at all in the hot, humid conditions. You must become somewhat acclimatized to it, but even so - that's some muggy weather for the body to deal with!

Can you trade some 'steps' for 'strokes' and swim more often in the heat?

I'm not very acclimatized coming back from vaca and much cooler temps!

• Like 4

I did get in a strength workout yesterday-- 45 minutes. I modified a lot since it was my first workout after vaca and still adjusting sleep and on my period. I'm sore today. I'll just be doing yard work, after 3 weeks I'm very behind.I did get some mowing done yesterday. Probably will have a fair amount of time just chilling with dh, he's having a lot of tooth pain.

• Like 5

Oh, and I begrudgingly set up a physical with the NP at the clinic so I can get a referral for a mammogram. I'm going to get a PT referral while there. My hip is still causing me issues. It's been a few months now. I had 3 weeks off of exercising but it isn't just exercise that bothers it. It flared up again with the day of travel and the sitting and I can still feel it isn't right in certain exercises. I'd like to be able to work on fixing whatever it is so I can get back to doing things normal. I'm hoping for prescribed exercises. I don't want to have to go in all the time.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Soror said:

Oh, and I begrudgingly set up a physical with the NP at the clinic so I can get a referral for a mammogram. I'm going to get a PT referral while there. My hip is still causing me issues. It's been a few months now. I had 3 weeks off of exercising but it isn't just exercise that bothers it. It flared up again with the day of travel and the sitting and I can still feel it isn't right in certain exercises. I'd like to be able to work on fixing whatever it is so I can get back to doing things normal. I'm hoping for prescribed exercises. I don't want to have to go in all the time.

Coincidentally I received my automatic mammogram appointment letter yesterday, set for three weeks hence. We are on holiday then but I was able to change it for five days later. It's a mobile unit that is parked by a leisure centre near my work.

I hope you get answers on your hip.

Today - slow start but yoga is now done and I'm setting out for a walk.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I can believe taking lots of cool showers. I'd be right there,  too! That's very interesting your comment about walking slowly. It's an observation I've made while playing tennis with Asian women. They often walk intentionally very slowly to pick up the ball, as if conserving energy. I've wondered if it's related to heat and has become a habit,  as it's definitely NOT hot and humid most of the time here. 😄

• Like 4

I did a Nourishing Yoga this morning, and I missed last weekend so it felt good to just do some yoga. This one wasn't particularly active but it had some nice moves for my arm/shoulder.

And now for a summer off! We're still in the 60's with occasional rain through the weekend, but next week is looking good for finally getting some nice weather (70's and sun). I don't want to load up this weekend too much as I recover from a very busy two weeks with all the driving and ending school. I hope to make my summer project list. I need to think up some fitness goals--I have a little more time for that over the summer. Rehabilitating my shoulder will be on there. Also on the weekend list is getting a flat of strawberries--they are amazing here the first couple weeks of June.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Ali in OR said:

I did a Nourishing Yoga this morning, and I missed last weekend so it felt good to just do some yoga. This one wasn't particularly active but it had some nice moves for my arm/shoulder.

And now for a summer off! We're still in the 60's with occasional rain through the weekend, but next week is looking good for finally getting some nice weather (70's and sun). I don't want to load up this weekend too much as I recover from a very busy two weeks with all the driving and ending school. I hope to make my summer project list. I need to think up some fitness goals--I have a little more time for that over the summer. Rehabilitating my shoulder will be on there. Also on the weekend list is getting a flat of strawberries--they are amazing here the first couple weeks of June.

Yum. I have 2 lbs of strawberries in my fridge I need to wash and cut (some are for a recipe). I hope most are ok. I should have tended to them sooner.  They go bad so fast and I should move to glass storage. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Are you all trying to maintain or lose weight? (or gain muscle etc)

Overwhelmingly - for me - maintain fitness and strength. Part of that is weight maintenance within around a 2 kilo band, but staying fit and strong - to the extent possible - for the next few decades is the main aim.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Maintain both weight and muscle without getting injured - the last part for sure. 😊  A lot of my physical activity is focused on keeping my body in good enough shape to do the activities I enjoy. I love tennis and kayaking, so I walk, stretch and carry groceries in my arms to keep in condition to enjoy tennis. That's what the name of the game is when you get old. 🤣

• Like 4

5 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Yes, all that.

I want to be healthy.

I need to be strong because of a chronic condition (EDS)--my connective tissue is weak, stretchy, and dysfunctional, so I need strong muscles to help hold my joints steady. My non-negotiable focus is weight-lifting and core strength, though I also value building coordination through continuous movement exercising and I value aerobic exercise.

I am far too heavy and want badly to lose weight. However, my metabolism was wrecked after a severe illness with sepsis several years ago. Since that time, I have made HUGE changes to my diet and I work out waaaaaaaaaaaaayy more than I have since high school, but my shape remains the same and I cannot seem to lose past a certain point. I figure it's best to keep trying both so I do not gain more and also so that I will be healthy.

• Like 4

@Harriet Vane that sounds incredibly frustrating! Yes, keep trying. I know it’s not the same but until recently I felt so much pessimism about exercising and changing eating habits because my fitness pal always told me to lose weight I had to eat 1200 cal a day and I’d still only lose less than a lb a week. Now MFP is telling me to eat 1360 calories a day but a few days ago it had a bigger number… I am so confused. But I just look at what I eat and exercise and don’t completely go for their numbers. I’ve lost faster recently but probably because I’ve been more picky about what I eat. I’ve been trying to find more guilt-free snacks like the Skinny pop mini cakes (rice cakes). I couldn’t find them in Walmart but saw them in a Dollar General Market. 

A few weeks ago I was the biggest I've ever been. I don’t feel good in most of my clothes, the extra weight is probably making plantar fasciitis more likely to flare up, and my dr office wants me to come in for a 6 month checkup instead of just annual because of concerns of my blood pressure or something. So I am just trying to push myself to get to a better place then maintain. I eat a lot of romaine lettuce these days (6pk from Sam’s club). I think I’ll try a protein shake for breakfast soon. Oh and it’s just so hot I would like to feel comfortable wearing tank tops again eventually. 

• Like 2

My main goal is general health and avoiding injuries and other bad things. I've accepted that I'm not going to return to the weight range of my early forties. I am often trying to lose 2 pounds but I've actually been about where I think I can reasonably be since Lent (I give up sugar/sweets for Lent every year and that sort of resets things). But I think I'll have to watch it now that I'm out of school and food is more available.

• Like 5

@heartlikealion it took me a while to work out that MFP changes its settings through the day if you have exercise records set to feed in from Fitbit or similar. I was looking at protein, and it never seemed satisfied! Then I realised that it kept asking for more protein, I think, as a proportion of calories used, whereas I compare to grammes per kilo of healthy body weight.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032623851-Why-do-my-daily-nutrient-values-and-my-calorie-goal-change-when-I-log-exercise-

• Like 1

19 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

(1)mobility, flexibility-- aging as well as I can

(2) building/maintaining strength, endurance- we lose muscle as we age if you are not working on building it then it is slipping away. Cardiovascular fitness is good for our heart and lungs.

(3) leaning out a bit-- but not necessarily losing weight as I'd like to add on muscle-- it is a very slow, slow slog to add muscle- would be nice to be able to see the fruit of that work.

• Like 5

Lots of pain this am and as it hurts to breath deeply and various other things I will not be doing the HIIT I planned to do. I woke up too early (4) and am feeling tired. Trying to find motivation to take a little walk. I need to push mow this morning but am not feeling I will be up to that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

New week- hoping everyone has a better week than last week!  This week I had my DH make up a light weight circuit for me.  I did it Thursday and Saturday- I can feel it!  I'm trying to strengthen my back using some of the exercises from PT last year.  It's all really light,  but my back is still sore.  I did good on walking.  My diet wasn't the best- ate out a few times, a big family thing one day, it was a busy week and I couldn't focus on eating well every day- some were good, others were bad.  

New Goals for the Week

1.  Hit 10K steps every day

2.  Light workout 3x

3.  Watch my food!  This will be the hardest one.

As for why I'm here, I would like to loose 10-15lbs, but my goal is to build strength and regularly exercise.  I have a bad place in my back that keeps going out and causes me a lot of pain and I'm unable to do things with my kids.  

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

@heartlikealion it took me a while to work out that MFP changes its settings through the day if you have exercise records set to feed in from Fitbit or similar. I was looking at protein, and it never seemed satisfied! Then I realised that it kept asking for more protein, I think, as a proportion of calories used, whereas I compare to grammes per kilo of healthy body weight.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032623851-Why-do-my-daily-nutrient-values-and-my-calorie-goal-change-when-I-log-exercise-

I can tell when it adds calories from exercise but under totals it says goal and my goal wasn’t even one I’d set lol It just made its own goal for me. So looking back I probably thought I’d stayed on goal when I was actually allotted quite a few more calories than intended. I prefer if I don’t break even and have a few unused each day but breaking even is ok too I guess. But for a bit the goal was like 15XX calories/day which I think would make me gain. 

The protein thing sounds annoying. I opted in to let it it count my iPhone steps but I never see that reflected anywhere in MFP. 

Food is difficult. Sometimes I will eat food just not to waste it. Like something bought for the kids. They go to dad’s and I either freeze, toss, or eat it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Soror said:

Lots of pain this am and as it hurts to breath deeply and various other things I will not be doing the HIIT I planned to do. I woke up too early (4) and am feeling tired. Trying to find motivation to take a little walk. I need to push mow this morning but am not feeling I will be up to that.

Oh no! What caused the pain when breathing? That sounds really uncomfortable. Hope you feel better really soon.

• Like 3

I went for a short kayak paddle with the puppy. He's getting a little large to be in the kayak and move around as much as he does. I can still keep balance fine and paddle enough to keep going forward, but he clearly isn't as comfortable on the water as I'd hoped. He also jumped ship near the dock and swam to the shore. He may not be a paddling buddy for me much longer. 

I took him to a park after paddling and let him run off-leash with a couple similar sized dogs, and he had a great time. He's actually napping now. Finally figured out how to tire out my border collie puppy. 😅

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2022 at 12:41 PM, heartlikealion said:

Mostly, for me, I'm trying to build/maintain strength and functionality. I have a variety of health issues that either have or threaten to have a really serious negative impact on my mobility and comfort. I am determined to stave off the inevitable downhill slide for as long as possible, so I am diligent about doing the weight-bearing and stretching stuff.

I have also -- possibly at least in part because of some of those some health issues? -- gained a significant amount of weight in the last couple of years. I am working with my endocrinologist to adjust my medications and try to lose some of that. 

• Like 6

Not a good couple of days, exercise-wise.

My husband and I took a three-day class to earn our motorcycle endorsements so we can legally ride the Vespas, which ate both my time and my energy.

Full disclosure: I didn't pass/complete the class. The second day, which we spent mostly on the motorcycles, so wiped me out that I simply didn't have the energy to control the bike today. Not to mention, I dropped the bike two and a half times yesterday, once having it land on my ankle/foot. I don't think anything is broken or seriously injured, but the foot is badly swollen and sore enough that I am limping and unable to use the foot well enough to shift the bike. 

So, I am ending the weekend sore, bruised, exhausted, with a heat blister on one thigh from having my leg too close to the engine/exhaust (Harley-Davidson bikes are not built for short people), behind in my walking challenge and without my regular exercise or the license endorsement I was trying to earn.

Summer Splash Challenge: 135.8 of 600K
Walking Streak: 48 days

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Not a good couple of days, exercise-wise.

My husband and I took a three-day class to earn our motorcycle endorsements so we can legally ride the Vespas, which ate both my time and my energy.

Full disclosure: I didn't pass/complete the class. The second day, which we spent mostly on the motorcycles, so wiped me out that I simply didn't have the energy to control the bike today. Not to mention, I dropped the bike two and a half times yesterday, once having it land on my ankle/foot. I don't think anything is broken or seriously injured, but the foot is badly swollen and sore enough that I am limping and unable to use the foot well enough to shift the bike. 

So, I am ending the weekend sore, bruised, exhausted, with a heat blister on one thigh from having my leg too close to the engine/exhaust (Harley-Davidson bikes are not built for short people), behind in my walking challenge and without my regular exercise or the license endorsement I was trying to earn.

Summer Splash Challenge: 135.8 of 600K
Walking Streak: 48 days

Yikes! That sounds painful.

Don't beat yourself up. It's impossible to always be perfectly disciplined on any regime, whether exercise or work or food. You got a different type of exercise/exertion on the Vespa, enough so that you were exhausted. That counts. It's okay to roll with those rhythms. I hope your foot heals quickly.

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Jenny in Florida You weren't allowed to ride your Vespas in the course, or had to also ride a motorcycle? That's got to be rough riding a different bike than you are fitted for and used to. So sorry to hear that you got injured. Hope you recover soon. Can you complete the last day of the course on its own to gain certification another day? 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wintermom said:

@Jenny in Florida You weren't allowed to ride your Vespas in the course, or had to also ride a motorcycle? That's got to be rough riding a different bike than you are fitted for and used to. So sorry to hear that you got injured. Hope you recover soon. Can you complete the last day of the course on its own to gain certification another day? 

Well, stupid me thought it would be "fun" to learn to ride a Harley. I was very much looking forward to the moment I revealed this to my son and showed him the picture his mom on the big bike.

Basically, we have to take a comparable course in order to earn the endorsement, and there are a number of places in town that offer programs. There are some that specialize in scooters, but see my misguided thinking above about this being the "fun" option.

Yes, I can go back and do just the day I missed another time. I have already completed two and a half of the four requirements -- the three-hour online basic safety course, two of the required three days of in-person training and the written exam. I just need the last couple of hours of practical training and the on-bike evaluation. I could go back as soon as next weekend, but it would mean cancelling plans with a friend.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Well, stupid me thought it would be "fun" to learn to ride a Harley. I was very much looking forward to the moment I revealed this to my son and showed him the picture his mom on the big bike.

Basically, we have to take a comparable course in order to earn the endorsement, and there are a number of places in town that offer programs. There are some that specialize in scooters, but see my misguided thinking above about this being the "fun" option.

Yes, I can go back and do just the day I missed another time. I have already completed two and a half of the four requirements -- the three-hour online basic safety course, two of the required three days of in-person training and the written exam. I just need the last couple of hours of practical training and the on-bike evaluation. I could go back as soon as next weekend, but it would mean cancelling plans with a friend.

I've stood next to my brother's Harley. They are huge and heavy. 

• Like 5

@Jenny in Florida oh man that sounds painful. I hope you elevated and iced your foot/ankle. 

Did they provide a motorcycle?? 

Re: medications. No one will admit it but I do think my antidepressants greatly contributed to my weight gain the past several years. The pharmacist said less depression just means your appetite may have returned (I never really lost it lol). I’m in a Facebook medication group and and there are people that had had some of the same side effects (fatigue, weight gain). I’m currently on 20mg but I’ve been on higher. I don’t really want to stay on it but I think it’s wise to do so with all these transitions then later look into weaning, if possible. I’m tired every day. I work from home and usually take naps. But I hate that I need naps. The dr has offered to do a sleep study (possible sleep apnea) but it’s like $800 even using an at home kit. 

• Like 4

30 minutes on the treadmill this morning.

First week of summer here, but actually I have a couple of days of work and then a conference next week, so perhaps July will feel more like real summer. And maybe it will finally be warm and not raining by then! Today is a holiday for Juneteenth, then tomorrow is my last contract day (I'll clean up files at school) and Wednesday is an extra paid day to work on writing some math placement tests at school.

Working on writing my summer projects list--today is clean the desk at home and it might be safe to get the patio cushions down from the attic and set up the patio. No rain in the forecast this week but it is overcast at the moment.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, wintermom said:

I've stood next to my brother's Harley. They are huge and heavy. 

Yes.  My nephew has a Triumph and it's good that he's well over 6' and works physically for a living as well as lifting weights.  My mum carried on riding her Honda 125 until she was 85, but that's a pretty light bike.  I hope you get another chance @Jenny in Florida

Today: busy, so took a brisk walk first thing.  Hoping for yoga on the lawn this evening.

• Like 6

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone.

Given that the Vespas are already purchased and sitting in our garage, I will finish that endorsement one way or another. The big question now is whether I will brave returning to the Harley class or start over with a place that specializes in training on scooters. 

Pros to returning to Harley Davidson: It won't cost me anything extra. I can return as often as necessary to get through it. One of the instructors told me yesterday that they had one person come back five times before passing the evaluation. I would have to do only the riding/evaluation part of the second day. Plus, I could accomplish my original mission of being able to claim I have learned to ride a Harley and (bonus) have a fun way to annoy my son.

Cons: Given my record, I would say there's a better-than-good chance I will injure myself again. And the whole experience was unpleasant enough that I really don't want to go back.

Pros to starting over with a scooter-riding specialist: It would be more manageable and more applicable to what I will actually be riding. I am less likely to hurt myself as seriously as I might with the larger, less manageable bike. It would be a fresh start.

Cons: Although the three-hour online basic safety course is good for 30 days or so, I would likely have to do the rest of the course over from the start. And I would have to pay full price for it.

I'm leaning towards just going back to Harley. My husband, despite officially passing the evaluation, didn't feel great about his performance and was told that he could return for a refresher if he wished, so we could go together on a day when they have space for both of us. I just have to work up the energy to call and schedule it.

Meanwhile, I'm nursing the hurt foot, sore chest/shoulder and bruised legs. I managed to force my foot into a tennis shoe and take the dog outside this morning, but we made it only about three quarters of a kilometer because I was both in discomfort and moving very slowly. It hurt, but I did maneuver myself down onto the mat and spend some time stretching. I had to cut out anything that involved putting weight or strain on my feet and use my lightest weights for my arms, but I did what I could.

Hoping I can get in at least a few more steps later today.

Summer Splash Challenge: 136.5 of 600K
Walking Streak: 49 days

• Like 4

Who provides the motorcycle? Is there a way to get a smaller one? Maybe it’s the size that’s the problem 

how much to start over with the scooter class? You don’t have to say but if it’s really significant then I can see why you’d hesitate. 

if you can’t get a smaller bike I’d say maybe just go scooter class — injuring yourself is a big deal; bragging rights not worth it 

• Like 2

@Jenny in Florida I can see a lot more potential value to taking the full course designed specifically for Vespa drivers. They are a much different vehicle than a Harley, both in terms of size and power - and this has enormous safety consequences for you when you are out on the roads after your certification. You will probably learn tactics and strategies specific to driving your Vespa that are very different than a larger motorcycle. The turning, visibility, balance, etc. are all different between these vehicles. 

If you have plans to drive a Harley in the future, then that's one thing, but it sounds like you will be sticking to the Vespa you've already purchased. So learn fully and completely how best to stay safe on this vehicle. I'd do the whole course over aimed specifically at what you plan to drive in the future.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 min on stationary bike. Some strength training. I’m trying to find my PT exercise packet. I did one of them (Superman back exercise) but can’t remember them all. Did some sit ups (I don’t know what to call them but you put your lower legs on the couch and rest of body on floor). Didn’t do so well on water last couple days. 

I’ve been using Sat/Sun as rest days but I wonder if I should spread them out so they aren’t consecutive 🤔

• Like 6

Felt better yesterday but not great. Still having pains this morning. Not sure what I'm going to do about exercise and frustrated. I've missed 2 days already I planned. 

I bought cranberry pills to take and am trying to follow more kidney friendly diet-- just grasping at straws here since I don't know what's going on. 

I have an appointment with PT on Thurs morning. Fingers crossed and all that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3