Menu

Well-trained bodies - June

Laura Corin

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Well done on the weight! I got a lower-mid-range indoor rowing machine for Christmas.  It doesn’t produce statistics but otherwise works fine. Husband uses it too - it's been a good purchase for us. It folds up vertically so I can wheel it into a corner if necessary.  I'm not too keen on gyms. 

I’ve seen 3 different versions (the design I mean) on Amazon. I didnt know there were so many. And none looked how I pictured them in my head lol 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Oh no!  The latest Star Wars thingy was filmed in our favourite walking glen.  The car park is small and we'll never get into it again. There's no space for buses either in the car park or in the village https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/business-environment/environment/3340782/star-wars-glen-tilt/

Today: yoga first thing.  Lunchtime we have someone coming around to assess our house to see if it's suitable for hosting one/more Ukrainian refugee(s), so I won't be able to walk.  Probably a walk after work.

That's exciting about the possibility of hosting Ukrainian refugee(s)!! That is fantastic! Hope the assessment goes well. 

Lucky you to live so close to such a gorgeous place! I hope it doesn't become over-run with tourists. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I’ve seen 3 different versions (the design I mean) on Amazon. I didnt know there were so many. And none looked how I pictured them in my head lol 

Mine is similar to  this one. I don't know if it's available where you are. It looks like they have improved the display. 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6214151?clickSR=slp:term:rowing machine:4:13:1

@wintermom we signed up to host just after the war started, but the refugees have been dealing with a lot of paperwork, so many are only now reaching the Scottish help hubs. We passed the housing inspection and now need to meet someone to give more details to make a good match. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Do you think the one where the side bars move more is better (target more muscles?)? But I think that one overheats after 20 min. Not sure if they all do. 

Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW1205 Rowing Machine Rower with 12 Level Adjustable Resistance, Digital Monitor and 220 LB Max Weight https://a.co/d/5PrkxGY

Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5639 Full Motion Rowing Machine Rower w/ 350 lb Weight Capacity and LCD Monitor https://a.co/d/inI8JEt

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Mine is similar to  this one. I don't know if it's available where you are. It looks like they have improved the display. 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6214151?clickSR=slp:term:rowing machine:4:13:1

Oh ok I see. I’m trying to figure out if more incline is better on knees. After I move I might be able to invest in one. I’d have to store in the corner of the living room probably. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

@wintermom we signed up to host just after the war started, but the refugees have been dealing with a lot of paperwork, so many are only now reaching the Scottish help hubs. We passed the housing inspection and now need to meet someone to give more details to make a good match. 

That's great news! Do you know if you will have a family or an individual yet? If you are allowed to, please keep us in the loop. And if there is anyway to provide further support, please let me know (maybe a PM for this). I should explore options in Canada to help. Thanks for inspiring me! 😃

• Like 4

I will have to catch up later but I'm back after two long drives and a lovely graduation. And it's the last week of school. Walked about 20 min with the dog this morning then it started raining and we took advantage of being at the point in our neighborhood loop where it's easy to cut back to the house. So a short walk.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

That's great news! Do you know if you will have a family or an individual yet? If you are allowed to, please keep us in the loop. And if there is anyway to provide further support, please let me know (maybe a PM for this). I should explore options in Canada to help. Thanks for inspiring me! 😃

Thanks. I'll need to respect privacy so won't be sharing many details. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

dd fell asleep before I could get her in the shower so I biked for a bit. I got 20 min in. She woke up and I got her bathed and to bed then did another 20. MyFitnessPal and my bike disagree on calories burned so I’ve been overriding MFP to match the lower estimate. 

I couldn’t remember my starting weight correctly apparently because I did a weigh in and I’ve lost 4lbs, supposedly. I know the weight can fluctuate depending on time of day etc but at least I know I’m making some sort of process. 

Do you all have gym memberships or home equipment for the rowing? 

I do not do rowing, but I do enjoy the recumbent bike or using an elliptical for running. I have a gym membership to use those machines and to get in some heavier weightlifting. At various points in the pandemic I have chosen to only work out at home with my smaller hand weights. Right now, I choose to go to the actual gym, and I work out wearing a mask.

• Like 5

So, one thing we've discovered about the Vespas is that my Fitbit thinks I'm walking/running when I'm riding. I need to figure out some way to override or counteract that, because it's throwing off my step counts. 

Yesterday, I did my best to remember exactly when we rode out to the grocery store and back and then make sure I did at least that many steps over and above when Fitbit said I had met my goal. But that's a pain to think about doing every time I just want to hop on the scooter to run an errand.

I waited as late into the evening as I could yesterday to try for at least slightly cooler temps for my second walk. It was still muggy, and I walked more or less directly into the shower when I got back.

Walked the usual 4K this morning. My left chest/shoulder are still pretty sore from whatever I did during/after the fall on Sunday. (I also keep finding more bruises on assorted body parts.) So I opted to substitute a gentle session of floor-based stuff for the more focused upper body exercises I normally do on Tuesdays. I basically did my usual mat routine, but switched to a much lighter weight or skipped the weight entirely for my left arm whenever it hurt. 

Again, depending on weather and motivation, I will either walk some more, do a walking indoors video or ride the stationary bike at some point after work.

Summer Splash Challenge: 110.4 of 600K
Walking Streak: 44 days

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

So, one thing we've discovered about the Vespas is that my Fitbit thinks I'm walking/running when I'm riding. I need to figure out some way to override or counteract that, because it's throwing off my step counts. 

Yesterday, I did my best to remember exactly when we rode out to the grocery store and back and then make sure I did at least that many steps over and above when Fitbit said I had met my goal. But that's a pain to think about doing every time I just want to hop on the scooter to run an errand.

I waited as late into the evening as I could yesterday to try for at least slightly cooler temps for my second walk. It was still muggy, and I walked more or less directly into the shower when I got back.

Walked the usual 4K this morning. My left chest/shoulder are still pretty sore from whatever I did during/after the fall on Sunday. (I also keep finding more bruises on assorted body parts.) So I opted to substitute a gentle session of floor-based stuff for the more focused upper body exercises I normally do on Tuesdays. I basically did my usual mat routine, but switched to a much lighter weight or skipped the weight entirely for my left arm whenever it hurt. 

Again, depending on weather and motivation, I will either walk some more, do a walking indoors video or ride the stationary bike at some point after work.

Summer Splash Challenge: 110.4 of 600K

Not sure if it would be a pain to turn it off when you go on the scooter? I would guess stuffing it in a purse or something would also count steps so I'm thinking turning it off is the only way? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wintermom said:

@Jenny in Florida This may be broadcasting my complete ignorance of Fitbit, but is it a watch-type device, and could you simply take it off and leave it at home on your Vesper rides? I'm assuming no, or you would have already thought of this. 😉 

I wondered that as well! But then I thought she wanted credit for the steps when she got off the vespa to run errands? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, heartlikealion said:

I wondered that as well! But then I thought she wanted credit for the steps when she got off the vespa to run errands? 

This reminds me of a couple of ladies I noticed in line at Costco busy swinging their arms while standing in line. I'm gathering it was to record "steps" while running errands. 😉  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, wintermom said:

@Jenny in Florida This may be broadcasting my complete ignorance of Fitbit, but is it a watch-type device, and could you simply take it off and leave it at home on your Vesper rides? I'm assuming no, or you would have already thought of this. 😉 

As @heartlikealion surmised, I don't want to leave the Fitbit at home, since I do want it to record (not just steps but things like heart rate) while I'm at the destination. 

There also isn't a quick and easy way to turn the Fitbit off. Apparently, it will not record steps while plugged in to charge, so one option is to keep a charger in the scooter's glove box and get in the habit of plugging in the Fitbit while riding. 

I just wish there were a feature I could tap to say "Hey, don't record right now." 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

We're finally home!!!!!!!!!

Made it about 10 pm local time (4 am London time- I'd been up since 2:45 London time). I got a couple of short naps on the plane but obviously not enough. I slept about 4 hours and am awake (3:30 am local time/9:30 london time). Hoping I can go back to sleep for a nap and get back on local schedule. My period is due so that always screws with my sleep too. 

Planning a fairly lazy day-- do laundry, paperwork, take girls to horse club and grocery shop. Take a nap. Thinking I'll try some exercise on Thursday

So looking forward to regular meals. 

And I'm so looking forward to time away from people. Gahhhhh. TSA nearly put me over the top yesterday. I nearly cried a couple of times. And then older daughter was all mouthy and rolling her eyes and I snapped at her to cut it out. The kids have no clue what is like to be responsible for everything. So done with it all.

• Like 6

Tried to cheat a bit yesterday by heading out for some shopping. I parked at the back of the lot of each store and made a point of walking the perimeter before focusing in on what I went for, but I still had over 5,000 steps to do by the time I got home. So I grabbed the dog and headed out for a walk under some pretty threatening skies. The lightning started while we were still out and about, but fortunately the first rain drops didn't hit the ground until we were heading back into the house.

Walked 4.25K this morning. My chest/shoulder are feeling a little better, so I went ahead with one of the 20-minute upper body workout videos. I stuck with the level 1 version and used only the lighter weights, but I got through it without causing any additional discomfort.

More walking or something tonight.

Summer Splash Challenge: 118.2 of 600K

• Like 6

@Soror I hope you have a relaxing day.

Sun salutations first thing, then a walk at lunchtime.  I'm going home by bus, so a bit of incidental exercise there.  I might try Couch to Fitness week 1 day 1 for fun, after work.  I like that they give three versions for each exercise from the beginning.

https://couchtofitness.com/

• Like 6

@Soror Welcome home!! You all must be so exhausted and feeling the time time change. Sounds like you have a fantastic trip, though. Can't wait to hear more details.

My lower jaw pain is now done (I hope) but the rest of my head is killing me. It's not teeth, but higher up. So annoying. I'm tired of taking OTC pain relief - though it does help, thankfully. The timing of the oral surgery, and its required physical rest week, has really helped the recovery of the rest of my body after all the waterfall installation labour. That's amazing. Now if my head-aches could ease up a bunch things would be perfect. 😊

I'm playing doubles tennis this evening, and I'll also try to fit in a couple dog walks. Dd and I are planning on taking puppy to some agility practice today. The pup loves it and is a complete natural at it all. It's really fun to watch him go. 

• Like 6

Weights and core and recumbent bike today. My shoulder and neck still twingy but mostly fine, and I am so thankful! (Everything has been a mess since late October when I fell in a rainy parking lot.) Now it's down to my left elbow, which is better than it was but still not great.

I remember the first time I tried to work out in a mask was terribly overwhelming. These days it's not that big a deal.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

@wintermom I wonder if a sinus infection is causing the pain you feel higher up? Consider cleaning out with a NeilMed bottle? (Kinda like a Netipot but easier.)

Yes, there could definitely be some sinus pressure stemming from allergies. I also had some icky nausea, too. I'm not sure what that was all about. 

• Like 3

I had to pick up a prescription for my dog at the vet yesterday, so I took the opportunity for a late lunch break and walked. The dog . . . declined my invitation to accompany me. Logging some steps in the middle of the day made for a more leisurely evening walk, however.

Walked a little over the usual 4K this morning. I've been trying to stretch that morning walk just a bit, both to "train" for the upcoming series of 10K walks I plan in the next runDisney season and also just so that I don't end up with those daunting steps-to-do totals at the end of every day. It's tough when the weather is so warm, though, since walking more essentially requires me to be out of bed and outside earlier and I'm already struggling to get moving every day.

Also, I'm not tracking food or calories, because I have a tendency to get really unhealthy about that, but I am trying to be sort of generally mindful about what I'm eating and to lose these 30 pounds that I have put on in the last year or so. (Endocrinologist adjusted my medications, which seems to be helping.) Yesterday was a really rotten day for food -- I literally ate cookies for breakfast, lunch and a late-night snack I should have skipped altogether. So I took a little time in the kitchen this morning to prep some fruit and snacks that I can grab during the day. Of course, that ate into the time I had available for exercise before work and I had to settle for an abbreviated set of the usual floor-based stuff. 

More walking or whatever later.

Summer Splash Challenge: 127.3 of 600K
Walking Streak: 45 days

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'm not feeling well again today. Head-ache, nausea, lethargic and some brain fog. Did a rapid covid test and it was negative. Hopefully I will improve soon. I've only done a few steps while running a couple errands to buy some comfort food and drink. 

I hope you feel better soon. Do you think it could be a general body reaction to your dental treatment?  A signal that your body needs time to get over the shock?

I ended up doing yoga on the lawn after supper yesterday. It was rather wonderful. It started to rain near the end but that felt good too. It's rare that we get warm summer rain here.

Today - I'll try for yoga before work and a walk - and nap - at lunchtime.  I'm in the middle of low-sleep summer due to the short hours of darkness. 

• Like 6

45 min stationary bike. A girlfriend of mine made a list for me to try 3x a week for strength training. I haven't started it yet, though. I probably need to get some lighter weight dumbbells for some of them though she said I could use water bottles. She's trying to give me ideas on how to target certain areas without feeling like I have to buy another big piece of equipment. 

• Like 6

@wintermom sorry to hear you are not feeling well 😞 

6 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

45 min stationary bike. A girlfriend of mine made a list for me to try 3x a week for strength training. I haven't started it yet, though. I probably need to get some lighter weight dumbbells for some of them though she said I could use water bottles. She's trying to give me ideas on how to target certain areas without feeling like I have to buy another big piece of equipment. 

Here is a bodyweight only program you can do as well. No equipment required. Modifications listed for different exercises.

22 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I had to pick up a prescription for my dog at the vet yesterday, so I took the opportunity for a late lunch break and walked. The dog . . . declined my invitation to accompany me. Logging some steps in the middle of the day made for a more leisurely evening walk, however.

Walked a little over the usual 4K this morning. I've been trying to stretch that morning walk just a bit, both to "train" for the upcoming series of 10K walks I plan in the next runDisney season and also just so that I don't end up with those daunting steps-to-do totals at the end of every day. It's tough when the weather is so warm, though, since walking more essentially requires me to be out of bed and outside earlier and I'm already struggling to get moving every day.

Also, I'm not tracking food or calories, because I have a tendency to get really unhealthy about that, but I am trying to be sort of generally mindful about what I'm eating and to lose these 30 pounds that I have put on in the last year or so. (Endocrinologist adjusted my medications, which seems to be helping.) Yesterday was a really rotten day for food -- I literally ate cookies for breakfast, lunch and a late-night snack I should have skipped altogether. So I took a little time in the kitchen this morning to prep some fruit and snacks that I can grab during the day. Of course, that ate into the time I had available for exercise before work and I had to settle for an abbreviated set of the usual floor-based stuff. 

More walking or whatever later.

Summer Splash Challenge: 127.3 of 600K
Walking Streak: 45 days

Glad to hear you got a much needed adjusted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday was pretty much a wash. Started my period and sleep still not right. I was not feeling it physically or mentally. I slept better last night. Up in the night but not near as long. Considering if I want to try some exercise today or not. Still not very spunky. I did get a bit of work done this morning.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about walking. The forest is overgrown because summer so lots of ticks and chiggers. The road is busier than ever as there is a detour going through here all summer (no shoulders as it is a rural road). I don't really want to drive somewhere because of gas prices (and I'm tried of going so much). I could walk some when I take the girls in for TKD but that is nearly the hottest part of the day with over 100+/38 heat index. I think I'll aim for generally active around the house. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Soror said:

Yesterday was pretty much a wash. Started my period and sleep still not right. I was not feeling it physically or mentally. I slept better last night. Up in the night but not near as long. Considering if I want to try some exercise today or not. Still not very spunky. I did get a bit of work done this morning.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about walking. The forest is overgrown because summer so lots of ticks and chiggers. The road is busier than ever as there is a detour going through here all summer (no shoulders as it is a rural road). I don't really want to drive somewhere because of gas prices (and I'm tried of going so much). I could walk some when I take the girls in for TKD but that is nearly the hottest part of the day with over 100+/38 heat index. I think I'll aim for generally active around the house. 

The walking sounds like a real issue. I wonder about a walking video from Youtube or something like that? Or trying something new, like Zumba or barre workouts? Gyrokinesis can be done on a stool and there are zillions of videos on Youtube. (It's part of the Gyrotonics "family"--but gyrotonics happens on a special, elaborate pulley system while gyrokinesis happens on a stool.)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Soror said:

Hope you sleep returns to normal very soon. 

That's super annoying about the limited local outdoor walking. Can you put on a layer of light clothing and risk the woods? At least it'll be cooler. Perhaps not everyday, but on the nice days when you just want to enjoy the outdoors?  Can you kayak for some outdoor time? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I hope you feel better soon. Do you think it could be a general body reaction to your dental treatment?  A signal that your body needs time to get over the shock?

It could be. My eating was certainly different for a week. The bonus to resting for a week is that my upper-body pain from digging out the waterfall is gone. The joy of getting older, when one body part feels better just in time for a different body part to start hurting. 🤪

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Thankfully, I'm feeling much better this morning after a relaxing evening yesterday trying to shake off the nausea and other weird feelings.

I'm playing doubles tennis for 2 hours tonight, plus doing some gardening this morning. A friend is gifting me with some perrenials that are in over-abundance in her garden. 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

It's tough when the weather is so warm, though, since walking more essentially requires me to be out of bed and outside earlier and I'm already struggling to get moving every day.

I marvel that people living in the south can get outdoors to exercise at all in the hot, humid conditions. You must become somewhat acclimatized to it, but even so - that's some muggy weather for the body to deal with!

Can you trade some 'steps' for 'strokes' and swim more often in the heat?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

When I first started strength training, I used cans of beans as my weights. Worked great.

• Like 4

I felt just kind of ansty yesterday starting in the late afternoon. I couldn't concentrate on work and officially called it quits about 30 minutes earlier than I really should have. It was still too hot outside to go for a walk, so I ended up organizing my closet and then riding the stationary bike for about 30 minutes. By the time I was done, I needed only about 3,000 steps to meet the daily goal and the weather had started to give. Took a somewhat reluctant dog outside for a couple of kilometers around the neighborhood.

Walked just barely 4K this morning and then did a 20-minute seated upper body workout. 

Really not sure how I will log my remaining steps for the day. My husband and I have the first meeting of a three-day class to earn our motorcycle license endorsements starting right after work. I'll figure out something, I guess.

Summer Splash Challenge: 133.6 of 600K
Walking Streak: 46 days

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

I marvel that people living in the south can get outdoors to exercise at all in the hot, humid conditions. You must become somewhat acclimatized to it, but even so - that's some muggy weather for the body to deal with!

Can you trade some 'steps' for 'strokes' and swim more often in the heat?

When I used to walk outside I'd do it early in the morning (I had to be back by 7:20 am) or in the evening then get straight in the shower when I got home. I also used to mow the lawn as a form of exercise and tried to avoid the hottest part of the day but no matter when I did it, it was quite miserable lol. I just took water everywhere I went. I don't know if Jenny has somewhere where she can access a pool. I recently called the country club (it's near the home I'm moving to this summer) to inquire about a summer membership and they told me you have to pay for a year-long membership 😞 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jenny in Florida said:

When I first started strength training, I used cans of beans as my weights. Worked great.

I tried that in the past and I felt like they were too light. Maybe I was using the wrong food though haha. Or not lifting them high enough. I own 8 lb weights and read that you can use the higher weights less for muscle building and the lower weights with more reps for endurance. So I think I will still be able to use the 8lbs in moderation. For above the head stuff, I do think the canned food might be good. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Soror said:

I feel ya!  DH and I were discussing a treadmill yesterday.  I prefer a walk bc its my quiet time and peaceful.  I like having a few minutes to quiet my mind and just think.  I have been just walking my driveway over and over so I can hear the little one playing and check on her each lap.  Its about 800 steps, so I make a LOT of laps!  This may sound weird,  but are there any stores near TQD that you could walk in?  Maybe even Walmart?  An indoor walking track?  

• Like 6