Menu

Well-trained bodies - June

Laura Corin

Ds16 and I went for a bike ride yesterday afternoon, which ended up being a great lower-body work-out due to the wind. My arms appreciated the rest.

I'm playing a bit of tennis this evening, but otherwise not doing too much. There's lots of doubles tennis ahead for me this week.

I just weighed myself after avoiding the scale for a few months. I was preparing myself for a nasty shock, as my eating hasn't been great, but I was pleasantly surprised that it hadn't increased or decreased. I guess I'm successfully maintaining! 😊

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Soror said:

@Jenny in FloridaDo you know what kind of class the lady is teaching? If you can find contact I'd contact her and inform her of your limitations to see if you could fit in your class. She would probably be happy to give modifications. I have done that before with teachers, along with listening to my body and doing what I could and taking breaks as I needed too or substituting poses I knew would be better.

I've taken a couple of her virtual classes, and she has been really good about accommodating my usual set of limitations. She also stresses that her classes are for people of all abilities. I'll probably be fine, but I just wish I weren't dealing with the foot on top of the basic stuff.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

As predicted, I did nothing of consequence, movement-wise, after the morning routine yesterday. I did pace the house a bit while cooking dinner, but I suspect that didn't add up to more than a few hundred very slow steps.

This morning, I walked a little over 2k, then did a couple of the ChairOne videos and a level 1 20-minute upper body workout video.

In theory, I have the in-person yoga class tonight.

Summer Splash Challenge: 156.8 of 600K
Walking Streak: 57 days

• Like 4

My sleep wasn't great but I felt okay. My Fitbit told me today was good for exercise so I decided to believe it - I did a one-hour indoor walking workout with light weights added in. It was rainy and for once I didn't feel like trudging in the rain.

• Like 4

Yesterday I got in a nice walk at the walking track- very speedy with anger and hurt. So far I'm enjoying the new workout series. However, I def feel weaker after the  long vacation. I'm going pretty easy on weights for upper body and of course doing no weights for 90%+ of the lower body.

Today is lower body.+ walk

Today is my birthday. I think it is going to be a rather shitty one after my day yesterday. The restraining order wasn't even the worst part of my day. It's all terrible and impossible. Sometimes there is no solution. There is no answer. It just sucks and there is nothing you can do. 

I'm been trying to be df but broke down last night and after that decided I might as well make myself a regular cheesecake. Still trying to plan my birthday meal. I told the family it would be lots of veggies.

• Sad 3

Tennis last night was only 1 hour, and it was really fun! It's my once a week playing on a hard-court surface, so I'm happy it's only 1 hour long. Today I'm playing 1.5 hrs on clay court. I may bring my kayak along to the tennis club and paddle on the nearby river after tennis.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

Well, I made it to yoga last night. In keeping with my experience of this teacher via her YouTube videos and virtual classes, her sessions are very gentle, with lots of stretching. Last night's class was almost entirely on the mat, which was good since I didn't have to stand up/sit down over and over again. When I went into the room, I staked out a place near some tables and chairs so I had something to grab and pull on when I needed to stand. It was nice, and I'm glad I went. I registered for the next two-month session.

I did try to go out for another walk with the dog when I got home, but my foot was quite sore and I managed only about .5k. 

Walked just about 2k this morning and then did a good session of floor-based strength and stretching. (New Maintenance Phase episode dropped, which encouraged me to keep going so I could keep listening.) 

I broke down and went to the ortho to check on my foot/ankle. He affirmed that nothing is broken or catastrophically injured. He speculates that the trauma has, as he put it, made the arthritis I already have in some of my joints "angry." He also says I have probably strained a tendon in my ankle and gave me some exercises to help with that. Otherwise, he recommended continuing what I've been doing: being careful, elevating and icing to deal with pain, take ibuprofen as necessary. I can walk as much as I want, as long as I stop when/if I have pain.

So that is official good news.

Summer Splash Challenge: 159.5 of 600K
Walking Streak: 58 days

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 4

I underestimated how much having the kids here can affect my workout routine. Yesterday I never did anything. On my lunch break we went to a program at the local library. At the event I ate a snow cone and shared some nachos with ds. 

We were supposed to go bowling last night but dd was no longer interested and I was already pooped and ds was indifferent, so we didn't. That meant that I needed to cook a meal I wasn't planning to (I had thought we'd just eat hot dogs or something at the bowling alley or pick up food while we were out). I was tired and never got a nap and by the time I got dd to bed I just didn't have the energy to get back up and do a workout. We did watch part of the Pilates video I checked out at the library, but it involved the mat (my mat arrives today) and I'm not even sure if I want to do it. I've seen pilates online before and was highly interested but this video looked like a snooze fest. 

I'll give it a try before I return it and then seek out some YouTube videos I guess. 

My weigh in wasn't good, I need to get back on track. I desperately need to grocery shop but we didn't go out yesterday. I told the kids we must go today.

A woman I know said she does walk with a bat, but not because of people - because of big dogs. I notice a lot of people walk with a giant stick. I don't think the dogs are at the track, though. 

I pulled up all my old dr tests and none of them show calcium or magnesium (a nurse friend said I should be taking calcium to pair with the Vit D, I dunno). I did find my B12 results and they are low side so I think it's good I'm taking it now. 

• Like 3

@heartlikealion - Your mat looks quite similar to the one I use on the patio. Mine is this brand, but it's a bright lavender: https://www.target.com/p/pure-fitness-extra-thick-high-density-exercise-38-yoga-mat-charcoal-12mm/-/A-15064427#lnk=sametab

I find it very comfortable, even on the concrete slab outside. 

I hope you enjoy yours!

• Like 3

@Soror Happy birthday! I hope things look up. And if you’re lazy like me the box cheese cake kit is easy & yummy!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/15103545

You can even bypass their crust kit and purchase the premade graham cracker crust. 

@Jenny in Florida very similar. I was trying to avoid pvc but they look the same so who knows if mine also contains pvc despite the Amazon description. BalanceFrom GoCloud All-Purpose... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8WJWD5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

• Like 3

I did a little of the Pilates video. I couldn’t do all the moves but if the goal of sticking my legs out at about 20 degrees was to engage my core I guess I still did that. My legs want to bend, I’m not that flexible. Did some weight training & 45 min on bike. 

I do have an online stretching course somewhere but I haven’t gone through it. It stormed tonight so still didn’t grocery shop ugh. Made pancakes and eggs so not the healthiest dinner! But one day at a time I guess. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I do have an online stretching course somewhere but I haven’t gone through it. It stormed tonight so still didn’t grocery shop ugh. Made pancakes and eggs so not the healthiest dinner! But one day at a time I guess. 

I don't know whether this would help with quick dinners, but I find that frozen veg makes it easier for me to produce quick healthy meals without shopping all the time. Frozen veg is also usually cheaper and should have high vitamin preservation because it is frozen quickly. It works well thrown into stews and curries, but I also like it just steamed and served with olive oil and salt.

It will depend on space, but I usually keep spinach,  peas, broad beans, sliced bell pepper,  cauliflower and broccoli.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I don't know whether this would help with quick dinners, but I find that frozen veg makes it easier for me to produce quick healthy meals without shopping all the time. Frozen veg is also usually cheaper and should have high vitamin preservation because it is frozen quickly. It works well thrown into stews and curries, but I also like it just steamed and served with olive oil and salt.

It will depend on space, but I usually keep spinach,  peas, broad beans, sliced bell pepper,  cauliflower and broccoli.

I buy frozen veggies all the time but used up all I had Tuesday night and thought we were grocery shopping Tues. I could have run down the road to DG for veggies but I didn’t feel like it/didn’t have any meat to pair with it, really. Lunch we had fish sticks but not many were left. I ate tuna salad earlier today and just didn’t feel like having it again. The kids don’t eat tuna salad, though. I don’t eat meat every meal but a go-to for me is baked chicken + veggies + side. I didn’t know what to serve tonight and it was nasty out so I finished up our eggs and pancake mix. I almost bought chicken Sun after church but the local store doesn’t sell the chicken I buy (I like the free range no antibiotics boneless skinless breasts or thighs. Nearest place I think is Walmart 30+ min away). 

I typically keep fresh carrots (I had cut and boiled some and left some uncooked on Tuesday night and ds finished what I’d cooked at lunch. I need to peel and cut more) and one or 2 other fresh items like cucumber or broccoli for my salads. Dd won’t eat cucumber and has snubbed carrots for a while now. 

I buy mostly sweet peas and broccoli for frozen food. I don’t know what broad beans is. I’ll Google it. I like cauliflower but the kids aren’t big fans. I wish I was a more adventurous eater. There are so many common foods I just don’t like (peppers, onion, tomatoes, avocado, coconut). 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I buy frozen veggies all the time but used up all I had Tuesday night and thought we were grocery shopping Tues. I could have run down the road to DG for veggies but I didn’t feel like it/didn’t have any meat to pair with it, really. Lunch we had fish sticks but not many were left. I ate tuna salad earlier today and just didn’t feel like having it again. The kids don’t eat tuna salad, though. I don’t eat meat every meal but a go-to for me is baked chicken + veggies + side. I didn’t know what to serve tonight and it was nasty out so I finished up our eggs and pancake mix. I almost bought chicken Sun after church but the local store doesn’t sell the chicken I buy (I like the free range no antibiotics boneless skinless breasts or thighs. Nearest place I think is Walmart 30+ min away). 

I typically keep fresh carrots (I had cut and boiled some and left some uncooked on Tuesday night and ds finished what I’d cooked at lunch. I need to peel and cut more) and one or 2 other fresh items like cucumber or broccoli for my salads. Dd won’t eat cucumber and has snubbed carrots for a while now. 

I buy mostly sweet peas and broccoli for frozen food. I don’t know what broad beans is. I’ll Google it. I like cauliflower but the kids aren’t big fans. I wish I was a more adventurous eater. There are so many common foods I just don’t like (peppers, onion, tomatoes, avocado, coconut). 

Broad beans are an aquired taste - I wouldn't rush out and buy them if you haven't tasted them already.  I buy the baby ones which are relatively sweet, but the older ones can be mushy.  I've never been able to work out from Google if they are identical to fava beans or just related.

• Like 4

I didn't quite break 10,000 steps yesterday, but two grocery trips and a short (1k) evening walk got me more steps than I have had any day since the motorcycle incident. 

The attached photo is a view from my evening walk.

This morning, I walked a little over 2.5k and did a new-to-me 20-minute seated upper body video. It was tagged as "tabata," which I had to look up, but apparently means quicker, faster intervals of both activity and rest. It was definitely a workout for wimpy little me.

My husband has his gaming buddies here tonight, so I will have a good motivation to either go out for a longer ramble (depending on weather) or lock myself in my office and start on the foot stretching exercises the ortho gave me. Some of them are things I already do at least semi-regularly, but there are moves that are new to me. I'm kind of into the idea of listening to my audiobook and working through a few.

Summer Splash Challenge: 163.2 of 600K
Walking Streak: 59 days

IMG_20220629_195548455.jpg

• Like 4

Well, at my conference I started to feel like maybe I was getting a cold. Wore my N95, was still able to do everything just fine. Came home and tested last night and got a quick positive on the home Covid test. Hope it doesn't get any worse and I hope no one else in the house gets it. I do think I got it before the conference, not at the conference. I don't think I'll do any real exercise this week--maybe some yoga. I will mostly stay in the master bedroom/bathroom, but I do have to take care of dd too (fully masked). I felt much worse after vaccine shots when I slept fitfully on the sofa all day. This feels like a cold like we all used to just work through.

• Sad 5

11 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Well, at my conference I started to feel like maybe I was getting a cold. Wore my N95, was still able to do everything just fine. Came home and tested last night and got a quick positive on the home Covid test. Hope it doesn't get any worse and I hope no one else in the house gets it. I do think I got it before the conference, not at the conference. I don't think I'll do any real exercise this week--maybe some yoga. I will mostly stay in the master bedroom/bathroom, but I do have to take care of dd too (fully masked). I felt much worse after vaccine shots when I slept fitfully on the sofa all day. This feels like a cold like we all used to just work through.

Oh no!  Please take it very easy - trying to do too much seems to be the biggest risk for long Covid.

• Like 4

@Jenny in Florida Love the photo! Both the giant bird and the palm trees. Just gorgeous. Is it some kind of large heron?

@Ali in OR So sorry about being positive for Covid. Hope you have a really mild case and feel better really soon. Take care!

I'm going to go for a kayak paddle this afternoon, and maybe even a bike ride if I find time. Tomorrow is a holiday as it's Canada Day. 

• Like 4

My steps, which weren't many, did register as exercise today on MFP but the number of calories burned was minuscule. 

we ate out today (I had a gift card). Since I didn’t eat a real breakfast (ate some carrot sticks) and I exercised tonight I did manage to still make a calorific deficit if the estimates are close. 60 min on the bike/516 calories. I did some of my modified push ups and the calf stretching. 

ETA: we did make it to the grocery store. I bought fruit, veggies, meat and lettuce. I was rushed and didn’t bring my coupons to get more Ezekiel bread. Another time. I tried the BP machine but it didn’t work right. Or I screwed it up because I forgot to put palm up. The machine was in a terrible position in the store with your arm having to hang low to have the cuff “one inch above your elbow.” So you kinda slouch, there’s a shelving unit in the way… it was goofy. I’ll try again elsewhere. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 5

My birthday sucked as expected. I laid around nearly all day (did a bw lower body workout). I just laid around feeling depressed. 

Yesterday wasn't quite as bad emotionally. It was a rest day. I went for a walk in the afternoon. My back had the same small twinge it has had but when I went walking it started really hurting and got worse and worse. This was just laps. By the end of the night it hurt to move and driving home was hard because turning is rough. I took a muscle relaxer but I can't tell it did anything but make me tired. Before I had some pain rolling over but it would subside now I can only sleep on my back it spasms if I try to sleep on my side. Even laying on my back I get random little spasms. It is so weird. 

• Sad 5

21 minutes ago, Soror said:

My birthday sucked as expected. I laid around nearly all day (did a bw lower body workout). I just laid around feeling depressed. 

Yesterday wasn't quite as bad emotionally. It was a rest day. I went for a walk in the afternoon. My back had the same small twinge it has had but when I went walking it started really hurting and got worse and worse. This was just laps. By the end of the night it hurt to move and driving home was hard because turning is rough. I took a muscle relaxer but I can't tell it did anything but make me tired. Before I had some pain rolling over but it would subside now I can only sleep on my back it spasms if I try to sleep on my side. Even laying on my back I get random little spasms. It is so weird. 

So sorry for the disappointing birthday and back pain. I hope the pain resolves soon. Sometimes those 'low times' we feel seem worse because the stress related adrenalin is not present. I'll often seek out some endorphins through chocolate then. 😉 

I hope you can find some positive peaceful time with the stressors fewer and further apart. 

• Like 3

My paddling buddy and I were out on the little river last evening, followed by a walk in the dog hiking area. It was really nice and relaxing (at least for me). My puppy is learning to relax more and more in the kayak.I'm intentionally doing something actually fun for puppy right after paddling, so I'll always take him for a walk after a paddle. Hopefully he'll remember the walk more than the paddle. 😉 

20220630_183804.jpg

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

I have been too busy all week to even check in- I did get steps in I think every day- even the day I was swimming most of the day.  My eating has been not as good.  I just can't stay motivated when I'm crazy busy- I've had 2 pizza and pool parties in the last week.  We had a very brief not burning hot week,  I have enjoyed my walks.  The HOT is back and the next week looks sweltering.  I didn't hit my 150lb goal for July, but I'm at 153-154.  Hopefully July will be the month I hit 150!!!  

@Soror I hope you can have a relaxing weekend.  Sorry I didn't message you this week and missed your birthday!  Happy Belated Birthday 🎂  

@Jenny in Florida I hope your foot is doing better and you csn get back to your usual exercises soon. 

@heartlikealion Life with kids is hard!  I have 6, and feeding them and getting them all to their activities is a full time job.  Enjoy your time with yours.  I don't meal plan, necessarily,  but I do buy in meals so that I always have a few ideas to choose from.  I may not know what night I'm fixing which, but I do have a few quick meals znd a few full meals ready.  

@wintermom The Kayak looks fun and relaxing!  

Its July 1st.... what happened to June?  It blew by so fast!

• Like 4

Starting my Day 5 of Covid. There is no exercise to post. I did some laundry (just the washing--today is folding and putting away), did some minimal hands-on care for dd, cleaned the kitchen, took some naps, finished reading The Beekeeper of Aleppo, and started watching Derry Girls. I try not to venture out into the rest of the house when people are home (but no one brings me food so I do mask up and head out a bit). Still feels like a cold to me, but the excuse to sleep is good since the school year had me majorly sleep-deprived.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

I have been too busy all week to even check in- I did get steps in I think every day- even the day I was swimming most of the day.  My eating has been not as good.  I just can't stay motivated when I'm crazy busy- I've had 2 pizza and pool parties in the last week.  We had a very brief not burning hot week,  I have enjoyed my walks.  The HOT is back and the next week looks sweltering.  I didn't hit my 150lb goal for July, but I'm at 153-154.  Hopefully July will be the month I hit 150!!!  

@Soror I hope you can have a relaxing weekend.  Sorry I didn't message you this week and missed your birthday!  Happy Belated Birthday 🎂  

@Jenny in Florida I hope your foot is doing better and you csn get back to your usual exercises soon. 

@heartlikealion Life with kids is hard!  I have 6, and feeding them and getting them all to their activities is a full time job.  Enjoy your time with yours.  I don't meal plan, necessarily,  but I do buy in meals so that I always have a few ideas to choose from.  I may not know what night I'm fixing which, but I do have a few quick meals znd a few full meals ready.  

@wintermom The Kayak looks fun and relaxing!  

Its July 1st.... what happened to June?  It blew by so fast!

I'm living paycheck to paycheck so I was letting the groceries get thin because of money. I get paid twice a month "around the 5th" and "around the 20th." I got paid on June 22nd. It was a Friday and I had no real reason to drive to the city that day so I held out due to the cost of gas. We were supposed to go to the city Tuesday (combining grocery shopping, bank, etc. and discount Tues night bowling) but we ended up not going. Then Wed. it stormed. Yesterday we went out but I didn't get everything on my list done and it ate into my work day so I will probably do some catch up stuff. I try to avoid doing errands with the kids as dd complains. It's just how things ended up this time, though. When I got to the store they didn't even have the trays of the chicken, but they had a bag of chicken breasts I sometimes get so I got the last one. I can't stand it when I drive that far for groceries and there's barely anything on the shelf. 

• Like 1