Menu

Thanks!

Drama Llama

I am so sorry! I don't have much to offer. I have an extended family member who went in for residential treatment, originally thought to be temporary, but ended up being permanent. What I know is that my relative is treated very well, staff is highly trained and cares. She feels safer, better able to function. The outside world is just beyond her ability to handle. She also had limited visitation at the start, but now has fairly liberal visitation. The immediate family does receive a lot of advice from staff on how best to interact. The facility is not scary, actually quite nice, but I also do not think they keep anyone who is violent.

I don't know much else. She is several states away, and we are not on the visitors list.

In her situation, residential has been positive or that is at least what her husband and children have reported.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Do they let the children visit?  I'm hoping we can keep working on repairing those relationships.

Her children visit, but both of her children are adults. I don't think they were minors when she was placed there, however I am not certain.

Not direct experience, but I looked into them for a relative at one point. My sense was they were mostly for addictions or dual diagnosis, and the ones for mental health varied in length from about 2 -4 weeks. I didn't get as far as looking into our insurance, but I know several didn't take it and a 30 day stay was about 40k. I wasn't sure about the advantage of residential over partial hospitalization (which is covered by our insurance for sure - residential maybe) for her particular situation, and then the crisis resolved enough for me to drop the research.

One of my adult children did a brief time in an inpatient program, then a longer time in partial hospitalization.  In our case it did end up well, but it was scary and awful at first, and also in our case it wasn't as warranted as they all said (I believe we would have had just as positive, or maybe more so, an outcome if we'd done just the partial hospitalization program, honestly, but that was due to our specifics). 

In general terms -- read through reviews about the places if you have options, to get a feel for the kinds of cases they mostly have. Check with your insurance about what will be covered (ours was covered only after meeting the deductible). Go and talk to the place. Ask about visitations, routines, etc. Ask about what communication will be like -- with an adult, we found they were not great at communicating with us.  At all. Even though he'd signed  all of the "yes, you can talk to them" stuff. 

We were not dealing with suicidal thoughts, or addiction, and he was not under the current care of a doctor at the time he went in -- I think if you have a current doctor treating him, who is able to recommend a place/facility, and the facility will talk to the doctor, that will help a lot. Most of the problems/negatives in our case were due to them not talking to us/his past doctors to get any real history or feedback.  

• Like 1

Just now, Baseballandhockey said:

Where he is now there are no cell phones or devices with cameras allowed.  

Wow, even during a visit? I was thinking you could visit with your phone and call the child? Is there an area he could go to use a phone?

I'm sorry you're dealing with more. I hope this program helps.

The experience I had was as hired help for the family in crisis. The minor children were allowed to visit but it was close to that person being released to an outpatient program and I don’t believe that the kids were allowed initially. So in this case visitation was decided on a case by case basis depending on the person’s ability to cope and interact. (Now the first thing the parent tried to do at that visit was to give me her children so it still wasn’t the most stable interaction for young children.  Fortunately these preschoolers were too young to really catch on.). 

1 hour ago, Baseballandhockey said:

My phone doesn’t come in the hospital, because devices with WiFi or cameras aren’t allowed.  

He can use a landline that they have, but the time is limited.  

This was also the case at the facility where my son was; we had to leave our phones in a locker in the lobby, they were not allowed in the visitation area. Our younger boys were allowed, but by "younger" I mean that our youngest was 14 at the time. 

His facility also only allowed 2 visitors per resident/patient at a time, so if the boys did want to come in and visit (they actually chose not to after the first time we took them), one of us had to leave, walk them back, trade off, etc. (we did not want one of them there w/o us, nor to have our son alone w/o visitors, and then the visitation time was brief so we just never did the visits with the other kids). 

When MIL was in a residential treatment setting, the kids were not allowed to visit her; some could have their child visit, if their doctor suggested it, based on treatment needs/goals/etc for that person, but only their offspring, not grandchildren as in MIL's case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My understanding is that there are stark differences between inpatient programs (hospitals) and RTCs.  Inpatient hospitals are almost all absolutely no phones/ computers/ devices allowed.  They are locked units.  And rules about visitors are stringent, and probably even more so because of covid.  

I do not have direct experience with adult RTCs, though I have a friend who worked in a couple for children and adolescents.  RTCs are not locked units, and they do generally allow electronics.  But I have no idea about visitors.  

• Thanks 1

I know a few people who have gone to an RTC—but everyone I know has done a first responder/military specific program.  None of those I am familiar with allowed electronics/Zoom and I am pretty sure that at least for the first several weeks either no visits or no visits by children and then it was treatment plan specific.  At my lowest I did look into the places my acquaintances have been to, but not seeing or talking to my children was a deal breaker.

I don’t really have any knowledge of RTCs for civilians, and maybe there might be a difference?

• Thanks 2