Menu

How hard is it to sell books on ebay?

Night Elf

I am looking at a curriculum called Build Your Own Library. There are some wonderful book suggestions but my library doesn't have much. I didn't realize just how skimpy my library system was until I started looking up books from Bookshark and Build Your Own Library. So I might end up buying quite a few books. The problem is we really don't have space to store them. Unless they are super great, I probably won't read them more than once so there's another reason not to keep them. 

The problem with selling on ebay is I'd be selling books at $2 - $4 probably and then add on shipping. Well, to be perfectly honest, by the time I buy envelopes and drive to the post office and mail the books, I don't feel I'd be making anything. It would be different if I were to use Bookshark,, a curriculum known to homeschoolers. I can list the books as a Core lot and see if they'll sell that way, rather than individually.

What have you done? I'd be using Grade 9 of Build Your Own Library, so the books are high school and adult level. I can see keeping some of them but I'd really be buying a great deal. Like one core has 25 History, read aloud and readers and my library has less than 10. That's pitiful. I could just read the books available to me and just pull from each core as I finish the previous level but so many of these books that I can't get free look so good. 

I'm currently using Biblioplan's high school Ancients text and books I can get for free from my library. Once again, there are so many I can't get. I'm just filling in with other books that aren't related to the time period. Yes, I have a lot of time on my hands (empty nester without a job) and I love to read. 

I would talk to the library about the books I can't get. A lot of libraries partner with other libraries so perhaps they can get those books for you. They may have an ebook program and there might be more books available there (my local library advertised something like it during the height of COVID but I never used it). Lastly if they get enough "demand" for a book they may start stocking the book.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also, I (frequently) request that my library buy specific books. So, for those that aren't available through ILL, I'd do that. It certainly doesn't mean they will purchase them, but it's worth a shot. At our library, we can make such requests in person/writing or by emailing the head librarian.

I agree with the the ILL system. Also, I would look into e-reader books through Hoopla, Libby and/or Overdrive. 

IME, books sell for pennies if they sell at all. I have resolved that selling books is hardly ever a useful endeavor except in a few specific situations; i.e., selling whole sets or selling college texts on Amazon Used Books *if* the college is still using that version. 

• Like 2

We use BYL. We’re in our 7th year — 2 kids, one graduating who started in Grade 5, one started in Grade 1 and doing Grade 5 now, so I’ve done all the grade levels. We have coop groups and friends who use it, too, so it’s not unknown to homeschoolers. I’m confused about that part of your post. It’s a great curriculum.

We use the library and ILL, but buy used and/or kindle versions when it’s less expensive.

I have no experience with selling books, we have always donated ours, but what about selling them in lots, by grade level or subject?

I would buy the books secondhand whenever possible if I couldn’t check them out from the library or read them free one way or another. It’sa lot easier to give away a book that I bought for $4 than one I paid full price for. And then I just count it as an entertainment expense. Reading a book lasts a lot longer than a movie, but costs only a little more than renting a movie, definitely less than seeing one in the theater. 

i haven’t sold books on eBay in years. I really only found it a good way to get rid of homeschooling textbooks that had a good demand. Novels and nonfiction that weren’t textbooks were usually not worth the trouble.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spryte said:

We use BYL. We’re in our 7th year — 2 kids, one graduating who started in Grade 5, one started in Grade 1 and doing Grade 5 now, so I’ve done all the grade levels. We have coop groups and friends who use it, too, so it’s not unknown to homeschoolers. I’m confused about that part of your post. It’s a great curriculum.

We use the library and ILL, but buy used and/or kindle versions when it’s less expensive.

I have no experience with selling books, we have always donated ours, but what about selling them in lots, by grade level or subject?

Oh I said that because I homeschooled from 2001 - 2015 and have been on many boards and groups, both IRL and virtual and have never heard of it before. I figured it's either new since I stopped homeschooling or I just never ran across it. I spent thousands of dollars buying every curriculum I heard of because I was a nut. And in all of my selling my unwanted curriculum, I never sold individual books. I want to read these books and I'll probably have to buy some but maybe it won't be so bad since I'm going to use the ILL more often, although 3 of the 6 books I looked up in the ILL section of my library weren't there either. So who knows how much this will save me. 

2 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

BYL has Facebook groups where you can buy/sell books that are specific to the curriculum. 

This is what I'm looking for. I wanted to join a group for people who talk about it but I haven't found one. I found her facebook page with people following but not an actual group to join. I'll keep looking.

3 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

Oh I said that because I homeschooled from 2001 - 2015 and have been on many boards and groups, both IRL and virtual and have never heard of it before. I figured it's either new since I stopped homeschooling or I just never ran across it. I spent thousands of dollars buying every curriculum I heard of because I was a nut. And in all of my selling my unwanted curriculum, I never sold individual books. I want to read these books and I'll probably have to buy some but maybe it won't be so bad since I'm going to use the ILL more often, although 3 of the 6 books I looked up in the ILL section of my library weren't there either. So who knows how much this will save me. 

I’ve really enjoyed BYL, and I hope you do as well. We’re in our seventh year (grade 12), and I’ve definitely enjoyed the books along with DS.

It’s funny how we all find different things! I found it here on WTM, probably on the elementary age board.

4 hours ago, Emba said:

I would buy the books secondhand whenever possible if I couldn’t check them out from the library or read them free one way or another. It’sa lot easier to give away a book that I bought for $4 than one I paid full price for. And then I just count it as an entertainment expense. Reading a book lasts a lot longer than a movie, but costs only a little more than renting a movie, definitely less than seeing one in the theater. 

i haven’t sold books on eBay in years. I really only found it a good way to get rid of homeschooling textbooks that had a good demand. Novels and nonfiction that weren’t textbooks were usually not worth the trouble.

The problem I have with buying used is I rarely save much. Buying used means I pay for postage so the final price is usually close to the new price on amazon. Or the option that saves me the most is an 'acceptable' book which states pages are usually creased or crumpled, book shows wear, some highlighting or writing is in the book, etc. So I'm really taking a chance. If I'm saving over $10, I'm willing to give it a shot but if it's less than that, I'd rather buy new. I don't like beat up books. They're ugly.

2 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I’ve really enjoyed BYL, and I hope you do as well. We’re in our seventh year (grade 12), and I’ve definitely enjoyed the books along with DS.

It’s funny how we all find different things! I found it here on WTM, probably on the elementary age board.

I bought Level/Grade 7 because the books looked good but I had a difficult time deciding between 7, 8 and 9. I'm taking a break from Biblioplan. As much as I love their program, I just don't want anymore Bible information for a while. I do my own Bible study on top of using a Christian curriculum and frankly it's too much. I need a break. So that means taking a break from their literature suggestions as well. So I wanted a lit based book list. I decided BYL looked better than Bookshark for me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Night Elf said:

This is what I'm looking for. I wanted to join a group for people who talk about it but I haven't found one. I found her facebook page with people following but not an actual group to join. I'll keep looking.

Hopefully these links work…

Here’s the BYL Families group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1423657587900276

BYL group for levels 5-8:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/527800914024500

BYL Book swap for buying/selling:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/263164593807189

I believe there’s a high school group but I’m not a member of that one. If you search the BYL family group you may find a link, or you can ask. 

Hope this helps! 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

Hopefully these links work…

Here’s the BYL Families group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1423657587900276

BYL group for levels 5-8:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/527800914024500

BYL Book swap for buying/selling:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/263164593807189

I believe there’s a high school group but I’m not a member of that one. If you search the BYL family group you may find a link, or you can ask. 

Hope this helps! 

Thank you!

• Like 1

Do you have an e-reader?  Maybe see if the books are available in a eformat. That way, when you buy them, you can keep them.  Or get them from the digital libray options available.  You check many ebooks out for free from the library, via Overdrive or the other common library one that I can remember right now. Or you can buy books form online stores like Amazon or other digital stores. Kobo has its own and I know there are others too. 

There are so many good e-ink ereaders now. My older daughter really prefers paper books for the tactile part of reading, but she reads soooo much more on her ereader than she ever thought she would. She had the Kindle Voyage (no longer made) and now has a Kobo Libra and absolutely loves it. The Kobo has a speaker/earbud interface, so she can read for a while and then switch to audiobook, and back again, without losing her place. This is great for when she is getting ready for work, or cooking dinner.  The newer ereaders also have great variable lighting for when you want it (some older ones just had preset options) and so many different fonts to choose from (she loves the dyslexia font). She can scale the text to her own sweet spot and the newer eraders also have intuitive screen orientation, so you can go back and forth between landscape and portrait. Hers is waterproof too, so she read in the tub and not worry about a few splashes! 

If you haven't tried one before, or in a while even, I would recommend you give one a try. Amazon has a great return policy if you don't like it. 

6 hours ago, Tap said:

Do you have an e-reader?  Maybe see if the books are available in a eformat. That way, when you buy them, you can keep them.  Or get them from the digital libray options available.  You check many ebooks out for free from the library, via Overdrive or the other common library one that I can remember right now. Or you can buy books form online stores like Amazon or other digital stores. Kobo has its own and I know there are others too. 

I love my Kindle! I haven't gone a single day without it since I got my first one,  which was the 2nd generation I think. I don't know how many years I've owned it, but I'm on my 4th one.  I now much prefer reading books on Kindle. I don't have to worry about finding a place for them in the house, which is a huge plus. Sometimes, I get lucky and the Kindle book is a little cheaper than a paper book, but even if the Kindle book is more expensive, I will pay the extra money. I do utilize my library system, but they rarely have what I'm looking for. They're great for browsing and finding something totally new, but if I'm looking for a specific title, not so much.

The exception are large books with lots of pictures, like the National Geographic Animal Encyclopedia or the DK Geography Encyclopedia. I think both of those have Kindle versions but I prefer them in print. Must nicer to thumb through.

6 hours ago, Night Elf said:

I love my Kindle! I haven't gone a single day without it since I got my first one,  which was the 2nd generation I think. I don't know how many years I've owned it, but I'm on my 4th one.  I now much prefer reading books on Kindle. I don't have to worry about finding a place for them in the house, which is a huge plus. Sometimes, I get lucky and the Kindle book is a little cheaper than a paper book, but even if the Kindle book is more expensive, I will pay the extra money. I do utilize my library system, but they rarely have what I'm looking for. They're great for browsing and finding something totally new, but if I'm looking for a specific title, not so much.

The exception are large books with lots of pictures, like the National Geographic Animal Encyclopedia or the DK Geography Encyclopedia. I think both of those have Kindle versions but I prefer them in print. Must nicer to thumb through.

Do you know if your library has a reciprocal agreement with other library systems? I used to be able to use the next state over library system  and one in a large city about 2 hrs away. Those greatly expanded the digital options way back when I was homeschooling. An audible subscription also opens up a lot of book options. 

Scribd is another source of digital books.  They have a really wide selection and usually have a free trial period.  You subscribe, and then have access to their library.  I don't know if it is compatible with kindle, but you can download an app on your phone, and probably, a tablet.  

Look at the library systems next to you. For 35$ you can get a card to DeKalb, which has a robust collection of print and e-books. I was just looking up Walton County's fees for you since they are part of the PINES system serving the rest of the state, and it looks like you can get a PINES card free if you live in Georgia. I'm applying now to see how it goes!

If you have any interest in audiobooks (I personally do not, I’m a reader), DS has listened to quite a few of the high school  level BYL books on Audible. We always seem to have an extra credit or two. So that might be another option for you.

4 hours ago, Tap said:

Do you know if your library has a reciprocal agreement with other library systems? I used to be able to use the next state over library system  and one in a large city about 2 hrs away. Those greatly expanded the digital options way back when I was homeschooling. An audible subscription also opens up a lot of book options. 

I will ask if they do. Their website doesn't say. I also tried to find out how long we get to return books. I think it's 2 weeks. Most of the books in my new curriculum are longer than 2 weeks. I'll be relying on the books being at the library when I need them, and also on being able to renew them until I'm finished with them. As I thought about that, I was reminded of why I purchased the books when using Sonlight many years ago. I didn't want to rely on my library. 

I never listen to books being read aloud like they do in audible. I'd get antsy sitting here not doing anything but listening. I do have my coloring but I'm afraid I'd get distracted and miss most of the reading and will be replaying a lot. I don't spend a lot of time in my car, probably less than 2 hours a week, so I can't depend on that time to listen.

3 hours ago, Xahm said:

Look at the library systems next to you. For 35$ you can get a card to DeKalb, which has a robust collection of print and e-books. I was just looking up Walton County's fees for you since they are part of the PINES system serving the rest of the state, and it looks like you can get a PINES card free if you live in Georgia. I'm applying now to see how it goes!

My library system is not a part of PINES. I don't know why it's not state wide, but it's not. The closest county to me is Cherokee which is where we lived before moving to Forsyth. I had problems with them when I was homeschooling the kids when they were little. I remember having great difficulty getting books I needed. We still used the library but it was when we'd go browse and just pick out what looked good. 

39 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

I will ask if they do. Their website doesn't say. I also tried to find out how long we get to return books. I think it's 2 weeks. Most of the books in my new curriculum are longer than 2 weeks. I'll be relying on the books being at the library when I need them, and also on being able to renew them until I'm finished with them. As I thought about that, I was reminded of why I purchased the books when using Sonlight many years ago. I didn't want to rely on my library. 

I never listen to books being read aloud like they do in audible. I'd get antsy sitting here not doing anything but listening. I do have my coloring but I'm afraid I'd get distracted and miss most of the reading and will be replaying a lot. I don't spend a lot of time in my car, probably less than 2 hours a week, so I can't depend on that time to listen.

I bought most of the books for curriculum readers for the same reason. I figured most people start in the fall, so everyone needs the same books at the same time. 

36 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

My library system is not a part of PINES. I don't know why it's not state wide, but it's not. The closest county to me is Cherokee which is where we lived before moving to Forsyth. I had problems with them when I was homeschooling the kids when they were little. I remember having great difficulty getting books I needed. We still used the library but it was when we'd go browse and just pick out what looked good. 

Ours isn't part of Pines either, but I just got access to their electronic resources for free with my GA driver's license, and it looks like if I showed up at a physical location I could get a physical card, though I probably won't do that.

22 minutes ago, Tap said:

I bought most of the books for curriculum readers for the same reason. I figured most people start in the fall, so everyone needs the same books at the same time. 

Oh that's so true. The longer I sit here and think about this, the more I want to buy the books and just resell them as a lot on the curriculum buy/sell/swap when I'm finished with them. I guess I should give the library a fair chance though. At least I shouldn't be competing with too many homeschoolers at this time of year. I hope.

This is just an idea that I'm using for myself - maybe you might find it helpful. I'm especially interested in reviewing 20th century world history given the current situation in Ukraine. I really like the Sonlight core 300 booklist but am also in the process of whittling down my book collection because we're moving soon. I was able to find almost all of the Sonlight books on Scribd, to read on my iPad. It's $9.99/month but a) no books to return to the library/have to get rid of at some point in the future and b) some of them are also audiobooks so I can listen while I walk or run or even when cleaning or doing dishes. 

Another plus -- if I'm just not getting into a book, there's no guilt in quitting it and moving onto something I might like better since Scribd's pricing is monthly rather than per book. 

Edited by Insertcreativenamehere

1 hour ago, Insertcreativenamehere said:

This is just an idea that I'm using for myself - maybe you might find it helpful. I'm especially interested in reviewing 20th century world history given the current situation in Ukraine. I really like the Sonlight core 300 booklist but am also in the process of whittling down my book collection because we're moving soon. I was able to find almost all of the Sonlight books on Scribd, to read on my iPad. It's $9.99/month but a) no books to return to the library/have to get rid of at some point in the future and b) some of them are also audiobooks so I can listen while I walk or run or even when cleaning or doing dishes. 

Another plus -- if I'm just not getting into a book, there's no guilt in quitting it and moving onto something I might like better since Scribd's pricing is monthly rather than per book. 

Thanks, I'll look into that.