Menu

Waking up to a pool of water….

sangtarah

In our brand-new, just-put-pictures up addition, we had a water leak this morning. Our stupid-butt contractor didn’t remove all the irrigation lines from underneath the slab. We think that is where the water came from - somehow the water traveled up. Anyway, the floors are ruined. They are luxury vinyl and all 760 sq ft of it has to come up so the concrete can be dried. So we now have to empty everything (5 rooms plus closets) and then put it all back together. Makes me want to scream and cry!! Why can’t people do their job correctly??!! And what is the point of luxury vinyl if they have to be chucked after getting wet??  Ugh! 😣

• Sad 26

3 hours ago, sangtarah said:

They are luxury vinyl and all 760 sq ft of it has to come up so the concrete can be dried. So we now have to empty everything (5 rooms plus closets) and then put it all back together. Makes me want to scream and cry!! Why can’t people do their job correctly??!! And what is the point of luxury vinyl if they have to be chucked after getting wet??  Ugh! 😣

I don't understand how this will ruin the vinyl. I do understand why it needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled. 

This sounds like something to hold the contractor accountable for. I would not want my insurance rates hiked from contractor stupidity.

I am so sorry! 

49 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I don't understand how this will ruin the vinyl. I do understand why it needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled. 

This sounds like something to hold the contractor accountable for. I would not want my insurance rates hiked from contractor stupidity.

I am so sorry! 

The mitigation company said the foam backing on the floors will not dry out completely (at least not here in humid Florida).  I’m wondering if we should choose different flooring. The rest of the house is tile. If the floors had been tile in the addition, we could have just mopped? 
The good news is the baseboards and drywall were dry. I don’t think the furniture was damaged badly enough to need replacing (I hope!! It was all new!) The bottoms of the cube shelves were fairly wet, so I hope the particleboard doesn’t disintegrate. 
😖

1 hour ago, sangtarah said:

The mitigation company said the foam backing on the floors will not dry out completely (at least not here in humid Florida).

I think we had a boardie that had flooding with this type of flooring, and it was usable. We've had water accidents where we had to take it up in the bathroom, and we had zero issues.

The local flooring store that we bought our LVP from had a chunk of flooring in a glass of water, and it had been there for years. It wasn't swollen, cracked, etc., and the foam was not flaking off or loosened. 

I would get a second opinion, and I might ask the manufacturer directly. 

• Like 1

We had a water heater leak in Nov and there was water in several rooms of our basement. We were able to pull it up and put some of it back down but the mitigation company threw most of it away without asking! Fortunately we found some in stock and only had to purchase a few boxes. You can pull it up and put it back down. Ours had foam on the back too and there's no reason it shouldn't dry out just fine- check your installation instructions. They should be putting some big fans and dehumidifiers in there that run for a couple days. If they get those fans asap, you may be able to salvage the furniture but you should have them check. Insurance should cover contents. 

But in Jan we had flooding from an entirely different cause and ended up with 5in of water throughout the entire basement! When they pulled all the floor up vs just a portion, it was obvious there was no way we could put that back down. You have too many planks with broken connections when they pull it up. We had one contractor say they wouldn't even bid on the job if that's what we wanted because it would be too much of a pain. The water had to sit for a day or 2 and we couldn't get the mitigation company out with the fans quickly in Jan b/c power was out all over and trees were down and nobody could get there so the damage was worse. The sooner they get the fans going the better. 

On 3/5/2022 at 11:52 PM, Paige said:

You have too many planks with broken connections when they pull it up. We had one contractor say they wouldn't even bid on the job if that's what we wanted because it would be too much of a pain

I believe it, but that’s too bad. What a waste! It makes me shudder. We pulled up LVP once because we did some remodeling—it was very little extra work to preserve the locks/edges. 

8 hours ago, kbutton said:

I believe it, but that’s too bad. What a waste! It makes me shudder. We pulled up LVP once because we did some remodeling—it was very little extra work to preserve the locks/edges. 

The problem with quite a bit of water is that it starts floating by itself and then as you step around you may break some connections that are suddenly vulnerable and no longer secure. Then the mitigation company comes in and they don't care at all. They just yank it up and pile it up. It's a pain for someone to put back. I really tried to save it this time and it was going to take me 40-60 hrs just to sort it! The planks themselves were super dirty from all the water. We had to take every piece and clean it, dry it, check the connections, and set it aside in the right area. We were seeing a loss of about 50% and it took me about 2 hrs with 3 people to do maybe 60 planks. The contractors also have to consider planks that had been cut to fit a specific spot but who knows where that spot is now? It's a pain. When you have less water and fewer planks to replace, it's more reasonable. 

2 hours ago, Paige said:

The problem with quite a bit of water is that it starts floating by itself and then as you step around you may break some connections that are suddenly vulnerable and no longer secure.

That makes sense. 

And none of that was shade to you, lol! I can see mitigation companies making kind of sweeping rules that don't take into account each individual case, like the OP's.