Menu

Aussies - hope you’re staying safe

Ausmumof3

Thanks for thinking of us, @Ausmumof3

I'm in Brisbane, and yes, the city is going under. The peak is expected in a few hours, so we'll see the worst then. 

My house is safe. We're on a crest. Our yard is now a big pond, and our roof is leaking in several places, but we're completely okay.

My suburb is completely cut off. We'll essentially be an island for the coming days. I really hope we don't lose power.

The hope is that it isn't as bad as the 2011 floods. 

Thank goodness the rain eased overnight. It has been unrelenting.

As far as I know, I'm the only WTMer in Brisbane, but my thoughts are with everyone in the low-lying parts of our city. It's a real crisis out there. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 22

Hoping all goes smoothly with your dam release @Melissa in Australia

Our dams are at something like 180% capacity, which I don't understand. But I do know they are doing releases, so the next few days will be bad for flooding all along the Brisbane River. More water where there is just no more room for water.

Such is living in a flood plain.

An irony at the moment is that we are being told to conserve water, because our water treatment plants are struggling. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

The hope is that it isn't as bad as the 2011 floods. 

Yes, that's in my mind right now - the TV said this morning could be worse, hope they're wrong. It looks so scary - thinking of you.

I'm in the mountains so OK, but we'll be cut off if the river floods here again. We got landslides with it last year, so cut off both ways. It's supposed to rain though autumn to winter, so I assume we'll get flooding at some point. Not yet though. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

My suburb is completely cut off. We'll essentially be an island for the coming days. I really hope we don't lose power.

Hopefully you aren’t affected by the power outage 

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/power-outage-advice-for-brisbane-floods/100868502

“With flood waters still high, government-owned electricity company Energex warns that it could be days before power is restored in some areas.

"It's a safety issue. We can't get our crews in there until those floodwaters have subsided," Energex spokesperson Justin Coomber says.

"It's not like a storm event … we've got murky floodwaters covering up electricity assets and equipment that will have to be cleaned out.

… Mr Coomber says the Energex website is the best place to find information about outages.  
If you are unable to leave your house, contact the SES on 132 500.

If you don't have friends or family nearby, the Brisbane City Council has set up evacuation centres at Chandler and Chermside.  

It can help to have a battery-powered radio to keep up to date with emergency warnings should your phone or computer die.”

• Sad 2

Our dams went from 80% capacity to 180% capacity in two days.

The amount of rain is hard to comprehend. It was like a wall. Our Premier called it a rain bomb.

About 12,000 homes are under, last I heard, and way more without power. 8 flood deaths in Brisbane.

Parts of my suburb have lost power, but so far we still have power and clean drinking water. Feeling very grateful. 

We are expecting to be cut off for several days at least. 

Thinking of everyone who isn't as fortunate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

5 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

were you able to get your chooks to safety?

I remember once we had a big flood. I went to check on the chooks and they were almost  neck deep on their perches. they looked so scared poor things. we build a new chook pen afterwards on higher ground. 

Oh goodness, that would traumatise me as much as the chookies.

Our chookies are all fine. My husband had to dig channels around their coop, to redirect all the water. During the day they free range, but the yard is full of water, so they hang out near our back door looking bored, the poor things. I've given them a few more treats than usual ☺️

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I thought this was going to be a better year 😢

There's a Japanese encephalitis warning - La Nina has brought the mosquitoes. The warning extends southwards for QLD, NSW and VIC. 

Use insect repellent. Pretty sure many people will be currently unable to remove standing water! 

Kinda feel like crying, honestly. 

• Sad 7

7 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

Kinda feel like crying, honestly. 

Oh Melissa, I know. It's just one thing after another.

I hope you can find something in today that makes you smile. Thinking of you.

One thing that made me smile in the midst of all this are the images of the mice and frogs riding on a brown snake in flood waters. There was something about the 'we're in this together' that gave me a moment of smiles.

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

I think what's heartbreaking is knowing that these things (record floods, fires, cyclones) will become even more dangerous. These natural disasters, made unnatural by climate change, are here already and causing people and communities immense damage. I don't think this country has a survivable long term future, in many places including the cities, and it's so sad. I walk on one nation, Eora, that we already managed to damage; wasn't that enough damage?

• Sad 2

On 2/28/2022 at 1:04 PM, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Oh Melissa, I know. It's just one thing after another.

I hope you can find something in today that makes you smile. Thinking of you.

One thing that made me smile in the midst of all this are the images of the mice and frogs riding on a brown snake in flood waters. There was something about the 'we're in this together' that gave me a moment of smiles.

I saw that this morning on one of my herp groups. The person who took the video says he relocated the whole bunch, including the Eastern Brown (quite venomous, for those who don't know Aussie snakes), to a safer location.  I think my favorite was that not only were the mice and frogs clinging to a snake that would normally eat them, one of the frogs had a beetle riding on it's back. It looked like an illustration from a children's book. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

The low is predicted to dump on Sydney today.

Was a little alarmed that our local SES is handing out sandbags - we're not on the flood plain. 

Please take care, Melissa.

And @bookbard, are you in NSW?

Please take the warnings seriously.

We had a year's worth of rain in two days. There's no way to respond once it's started, because it's immediate flash flooding. Even if you're not on the flood plain, all that water needs to flow somewhere.

Unless you absolutely know you can't possibly flood, I'd suggest you get your precious belongings and important papers etc up high. Secure anything that might float away. Plan how you'll manage your pets. 

If you think you might flood, leave now. Go stay with someone on higher ground and wait it out.

You've heard all the authorities saying all this, of course. 

I'm really hoping that the weather system runs out of steam before it gets to you.

Thinking of you. Keep safe.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Yes, but up a mountain. So can't be affected by the flood (the river is half an hour away), but once it floods, we'll be cut off for a bit. Which is fine, I don't mind a few days off from driving kids around. 

Looking like poor Mogo on the Sth Coast might be hit again - after bushfire and terrible flooding last year. I really feel for them. Cannot believe the sheer numbers of houses inundated, it's in the tens of thousands, just enormous. 

• Sad 7

36 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Please take care, Melissa.

Please take the warnings seriously.

We had a year's worth of rain in two days. There's no way to respond once it's started, because it's immediate flash flooding. Even if you're not on the flood plain, all that water needs to flow somewhere.

Unless you absolutely know you can't possibly flood, I'd suggest you get your precious belongings and important papers etc up high. Secure anything that might float away. Plan how you'll manage your pets. 

If you think you might flood, leave now. Go stay with someone on higher ground and wait it out.

You've heard all the authorities saying all this, of course. 

I'm really hoping that the weather system runs out of steam before it gets to you.

Thinking of you. Keep safe.

I'm at work so the house will have to manage on it's own. A bit worried about ds and I both getting home when the storm is meant to hit, but I'm sure we'll be ok.

More worried about the roof holding up, tbh. Pretty sure we are above the flood line, even though we are three blocks from the river. Can't see a flood warning for the river either.  

Will keep an eye on BOM during the day. 

• Sad 3

Life-threatening' and dangerous flash flooding possible in NSW

Severe weather warnings have been issued for heavy rainfall and damaging winds extending from "the south coast of the Mid North Coast all the way towards the south coast of New South Wales".

"That does include the communities of Newcastle, Sydney metropolitan area, Wollongong, inland towards the Blue Mountains and also the communities as we move down into the south coast of New South Wales," says Mr Narramore.

"We could see widespread 50- 100mm in this part of the world, with isolated totals in excess of 200m.

"These totals will likely, particularly around the 200- millimetre mark, lead to life-threatening and dangerous flash flooding."

@Melissa Louise

@bookbard

Geography is not my strong point but hope you’re all staying safe and dry today

• Like 2

Both kids' schools are closed thank goodness (or 'minimal supervision' as they seem to say nowadays). There's gastro as well as covid popping up in school now so hopefully a couple of days closed will break the cycle. We couldn't have got there anyway, but I think it's safer for everyone, the roads aren't good with weeks of rain, they're all potholes. 

Floodwaters rising much faster than last year, it was a lot more disorganised, they told people to evacuate and didn't have any evacuation centres. People were posting online "I've been told to evacuate, what does that mean? What do I do?" which was very sad. The developers build these houses in a flood zone and let these people fend for themselves once the rains come. 

• Sad 6

14 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

Flood warning for local river but it seems to be somewhat upstream. The rain is wild - glad we all got home before it started. 

Keep an eye on it, as in the next week or so, the floods from upstream will (possibly) work their way downstream.  Still praying for you all. Floods are so horrible. 

• Like 2

Are other Aussies keeping up with what's happening in the Northern Rivers post flood?

A lot of anger - communities appear to have been left to manage the destruction on their own. 

I think we are about to see the first wave of displaced people within our borders due to climate change. Most of Lismore is uninsurable, calls to rebuild the town on higher ground, lots of blame for people living in a flood plain. Where are they going to go? Brisbane? It floods too. 

Hope you are doing ok, @chocolate-chip chooky

• Sad 5

Oh yes, it's shocking. Especially compared to the immediate support given to people affected by the bushfires in 2009. No surprise though, there's still people living in caravans post 2020 bushfires who haven't been helped at all. It's not just Lismore, there's so many towns out there affected. Closer to home very little of the damage from the floods last year was fixed, so now it's twice as bad. And it's the same roads that flood every time, get a bit of a repair, and flood again. It's crazy that they can't commit to building proper flood-proofed raised evac routes. There was someone who called an ambulance over here and was told not to call again unless the person stopped breathing! Keep in mind there's a lot of people sick with covid . . .

Lismore and other towns on flood plains do need to be moved, things are going to get worse, not better. But the govt needs to put the funding into building social housing, so many people buy or rent on flood plains because it's cheap. 

• Sad 5

I have to be honest I had lost touch - had an insanely busy weekends preserving food etc. was only when someone on the radio mentioned people were still waiting on rooves in some places that I realised how bad things are.

some friends that moved to NSW a year or so ago have gone up to try and help out.

Thankfully, no. There was flash flooding locally and we got a midnight SMS to let us know. The river is flowing so fast, and spilled over onto parkland and streets during the night - not sure how it looks this morning. 

Our problem with the rain is that the house is falling apart with it. I don't know how people are coping in flood areas, if this much damage is happening here. I've got literal fungi growing out the ceiling. Wood falling off. We can't keep the house dry, even with ventilating day and night.

I really hope the rain stops soon. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

262 schools closer today. On the one hand, bad, 'cos floods. On the other hand, a break from spreading Covid. 

Yes. Covid numbers have absolutely soared in NSW today. Mixture of no masks and flooded people evacuating together, I guess. So hopefully closed schools will help a bit. 

Our house is ok, but the roads are just falling apart with all this constant rain. It's really dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

9 minutes ago, bookbard said:

Yes. Covid numbers have absolutely soared in NSW today. Mixture of no masks and flooded people evacuating together, I guess. So hopefully closed schools will help a bit. 

Our house is ok, but the roads are just falling apart with all this constant rain. It's really dangerous.

I’m sorry.

Feels like every time we have a good year and mild bushfire free summer down here, you have terrible flooding 😞 

• Like 1

@Melissa Louise Thank you for checking in on me. All is fine here.

I've been scrubbing mold off our water-damaged ceilings, but really, we've been very very lucky. We didn't even lose power, and we were only cut off for a few days. 

I hope you're going okay. I hope your ceilings hold up, and I hope the rain stops soon. 

• Like 8

Wow, have you seen the images from Dee Why? Water just pouring through the streets! The flooding feels so widespread. My sister's been helping with the cleanup at Lismore. People have mentioned cyclone tracey as a comparison, in terms of widespread devastation and homelessness.

Apparently all 3 main roads into Sydney have now been flooded shut. Crazy!

Edited by bookbard
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

Federal Court just ruled that the Environment Minister has no duty of care to protect young people from the climate crisis. 

Saw that, doesn't make much sense to me. 

School was finally reopened today after the roads were cleared - 2 weeks off. I wonder what's happening with the schoolkids at Lismore, Northern Rivers? Between covid, floods and bushfire my kids haven't had an unbroken school year since 2018. If they had a duty of care to kids, maybe they'd put two and two together and realise how many kids are already majorly affected by this climate crisis. 

• Like 3

On 3/15/2022 at 1:38 PM, bookbard said:

Saw that, doesn't make much sense to me. 

School was finally reopened today after the roads were cleared - 2 weeks off. I wonder what's happening with the schoolkids at Lismore, Northern Rivers? Between covid, floods and bushfire my kids haven't had an unbroken school year since 2018. If they had a duty of care to kids, maybe they'd put two and two together and realise how many kids are already majorly affected by this climate crisis. 

A lot of NR kids are living in tents and cars ATM. I think they are mostly attending neighbouring schools where possible. 

Millions of bees are dead after the floods washed away thousands of hives. 

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...