Menu

Covid round 2

JustEm

As many of you know, at the beginning of the month my entire family got covid and my brother's family across the street did too. Well I've just been informed that two of my brother's household tested positive again and have full blown symptoms again.

We have been fully interacting with them again since Friday so all I can do is cross my fingers and hope we don't get it. 

• Sad 38

Just now, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I want to believe that we aren’t having Covid relapses and that we can’t just catch it every couple weeks—but this scenario is minicking what’s coming into the ER right now.

My brother's house had been symptom free since Jan 6th. If just one kid had symptoms I'd assume they were cycling symptoms like we have been. But now 3 have symptoms and at least one tested positive again. 

This is the pits

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Delta, if Delta was still in the area at that time, doesn't seem to provide Omicron immunity. My understanding is that Omicron, though, does provide immunity from Delta (which is pretty useless now, but maybe will result in immunity to the coming drift in the virus).

I'm sorry. I hope you guys avoid infection. We had heavy exposure this past week, and seem to have avoided it. I don't think it's our boosters. I just think they must not have been transmitting heavily and we got lucky. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, sbgrace said:

Delta, if Delta was still in the area at that time, doesn't seem to provide Omicron immunity. My understanding is that Omicron, though, does provide immunity from Delta (which is pretty useless now, but maybe will result in immunity to the coming drift in the virus).

I'm sorry. I hope you guys avoid infection. We had heavy exposure this past week, and seem to have avoided it. I don't think it's our boosters. I just think they must not have been transmitting heavily and we got lucky. 

This is happening in our area. We were not out of the Delta surge at all before omicron hit, so people who got Delta than also got omicron. We have very low vax rates here so a ton of people got Delta. Then bam, got omicron. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, sbgrace said:

Yeah Delta is still around. That is what we figured happened. Just annoying

• Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

This is happening in our area. We were not out of the Delta surge at all before omicron hit, so people who got Delta than also got omicron. We have very low vax rates here so a ton of people got Delta. Then bam, got omicron. 

I suspect that is what is happening here too.  At first the doctors kept saying it was just recirculating or the patient hadn’t really ever gotten over Covid; but a lot of people here test for work and other reasons, and many had negative Covid tests in between positive ones, and no symptoms those weeks.

I am really hoping this last bout gives people some immunity for a while.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Same, I think similar situation in much of the upper midwest.  Delta was still peaking here as omicron came on the scene.  

I'm so sorry hj!  I hope your family can avoid it!  😢

• Thanks 1

That is horrible luck! Here's hoping it is an easier go around. Way to keep a positive attitude.

I wish it was easier to know what variant you have had. It just went through my house. It is spreading like crazy so I'm hoping it is Omicron.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, yuck! I am so sorry for those of you that are sick back to back or have had this multiple times! 

I really wish we had better variant tracking. Not only does it seem like Delta is happening in some places, news articles are bashing doctors for giving out MABs that are "outdated" due to Omicron...well, if Delta is still in an area, we aren't tracking it, and there isn't enough of the kind that works for Omicron...seems like that's bad information to arm the general public with.

As of a week or so ago, I know there were still doing Regeneron here, and it was still helping. 

If we assume Omicron, then we are also not able to take a proper risk assessment. For instance, we have been hoping to see friends that have recently recovered, assuming Omicron, but I am rethinking this. One family did have some Delta this summer (the unvaccinated got it, the vaccinated did not), but they were basically all sick in the last couple of weeks with Covid--was it Delta? Was it Omicron? 

Ugh!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Oh, yuck! I am so sorry for those of you that are sick back to back or have had this multiple times! 

I really wish we had better variant tracking. Not only does it seem like Delta is happening in some places, news articles are bashing doctors for giving out MABs that are "outdated" due to Omicron...well, if Delta is still in an area, we aren't tracking it, and there isn't enough of the kind that works for Omicron...seems like that's bad information to arm the general public with.

As of a week or so ago, I know there were still doing Regeneron here, and it was still helping. 

If we assume Omicron, then we are also not able to take a proper risk assessment. For instance, we have been hoping to see friends that have recently recovered, assuming Omicron, but I am rethinking this. One family did have some Delta this summer (the unvaccinated got it, the vaccinated did not), but they were basically all sick in the last couple of weeks with Covid--was it Delta? Was it Omicron? 

Ugh!

My sil (the one in the sick household) and I were just talking yesterday about how happy we were that we could invite a mutual close friend over who is immunocompromised now that both households have had it. But obviously we can't do that anymore for a bit

• Sad 7

10 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh wow, that is horrible.  I am sorry.  They are the family with the young twin babies too?  Yeah it sounds like it is/was 2 different strains.  I hope they are on the mend soon. 

Yes, same family. Thankfully it isn't the twins who are sick yet. But they were sick the first time around

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Ugh!

I agree. Michigan is sequencing so few samples. So when Omicron hit Tennessee county, it completely overran the hospitals who were already overrun with Delta. A month later the news from the state health department was, Genesee County has its first case of omicron". The response from healthcare workers was an eye roll, and something along this sentiment, "No sh#t, sherlock!" I can only imagine the amount of regeneron wasted assuming it was still delta until it was obvious that it was omicron, and HCW's came to that conclusion long before the state health department did. This nation has been 20 pts down since February 2020, and has never gotten in the ballpark of catching up. Sigh.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I agree. Michigan is sequencing so few samples. So when Omicron hit Tennessee county, it completely overran the hospitals who were already overrun with Delta. A month later the news from the state health department was, Genesee County has its first case of omicron". The response from healthcare workers was an eye roll, and something along this sentiment, "No sh#t, sherlock!" I can only imagine the amount of regeneron wasted assuming it was still delta until it was obvious that it was omicron, and HCW's came to that conclusion long before the state health department did. This nation has been 20 pts down since February 2020, and has never gotten in the ballpark of catching up. Sigh.

I am curious if there is a correlation between restrictions and which strain. I assumed we'd end up with a Delta wave over the holidays here because people don't care and ramp up their activities at Christmas, and we have no mask mandate (legislature killed it). Locally, most people are "over it," and plenty of people had waning immunity to Delta because many got it earlier in the year. 

In cautious areas with more masking, it makes sense that Omicron would overtake Delta faster if they weren't experiencing as big of a Delta wave.

I could be missing something key to this though. 

Also, in SWO, we're still climbing in cases while the rest of Ohio has peaked...makes me think serial Delta THEN Omicron.

I'm so sorry. That is not fun at all. My whole family got Covid just after Christmas. I'm still feeling some of the symptoms, which is annoying. I had assumed or hoped that I'd be pretty safe from reinfection for several months. I have no idea which variant I had. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best. 

Hope you recover really soon! 

• Like 3