Menu

Supplements for immune boosting

chocolate-chip chooky

I'm sorry. I'm sure this has been discussed multiple times over, but I can't find the relevant threads.

I want to get my family on some supplements for immune boosting, and with the view to upping if we have a Covid exposure.

We all already take 1000iu D3 daily, plus a general multivitamin.

I'm thinking to add Vit C and Zinc.

Any thoughts on suitable doses? And any thoughts on other supplements worth stocking up on, either as a general immune booster, or as a Covid response?

Thank you 🌻

8 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Elderberry syrup. We buy this formula, which also contains echinacea. Too pricey to take every day, but taken at the first signs of a virus, it has worked very well for us in the past. 

I've heard of elderberry, but never used it. We have a brand here called Sambucol, which is based on black elderberry, I believe. I'll look into it.

I take 5000 IU of D3 w/100 mcg of the MK7 form of K2, 1000 mg of vitamin C w/quercetin, and a really good multi that includes 25 mg of zinc (plus I eat a lot of nuts and seeds, like hemp and pumpkin, which are really high in zinc).

At the first sign of a cold I jump on the Sambucol, zinc lozenges, and NAC, and that usually nips it in the bud. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is Elderberry ok to take for Covid now?  I know in the start it was thought to maybe not be a good thing.

Also what are you having your kids take? 

I haven’t heard anything against it since the very beginning. I would think we would have if it were still considered a problem. I gave it to dh, but limited it to three days. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is Elderberry ok to take for Covid now?  I know in the start it was thought to maybe not be a good thing.

My impression is that it's fine to take elderberry in the very beginning, but not a good idea to take it if the infection has already really taken hold and symptoms are becoming more serious. The logic is that you want to boost your body's first line of defense, but once it gets established you don't want to risk adding fuel to the fire of a cytokine storm.

• Like 1