Menu

Toddler Footwear

barnwife

One would think that by the fifth kid, I would know what to put on a kid's feet. But I don't. So please help. Our toddler doesn't like shoes or snow boots. If we put anything hard-soled on his feet, he screams. Actually, he starts yelling as soon as he realizes you are putting them on him. Sneakers and snow boots are completely unacceptable to him. But, given that we live in a place with winter, it's sort of unavoidable. 

So if you have any toddler snow boot recs, I'll take them. We currently have lands end, ll bean, and various cheap brands. All all unacceptable in DS's eyes. Also, recs for any toddler shoes that are soft-soled that he won't be able to get off would be great. Our other kids have worn Skidders shoes at this point. He tolerates them (they don't make him yell), but he does just sit down at the first opportunity and take them off. If I put different shoes on him, he either a) just sits there and refuses to move or b) screams bloody murder until the offending shoewear is removed. 

This is likely a sensory issue more than an age issue. I'd work on the sensory aspect. Try massaging his legs and feet before putting shoes on, jumping on a trampoline, putting a heavy blanket/rice bag on his feet, and doing some of those other things so that he can better tolerate shoes.  The fact that he will wear soft-soled tells me it's not the concept of shoes that's the problem.

For my sensory kids, they pretty much lived in StrideRites. I feel very strongly that toddler feet need proper shoe support---so wide toe box, support through the arch, etc. as their feet are developing. I'm totally fine with barefoot at home, but I hold to the safety line when going outside of wearing proper shoes.

Bobux and Robeez both make soft sole shoes. There are moccasins as well.

• Like 1

Have you looked at Pedipeds?  That's what mine graduated to when Robeez were insufficient.

Another option - until I was 4 or so I wore moccasins in different styles.  My feet were too small for 'walking shoes' and that was the only alternative that offered protection back then.  A thick leather sole worked well for my toddler feet.

• Like 1

Try the cheap lands end slippers.  They're fuzzy and only slightly stiffer than socks, and have a thin rubber sole. They aren't waterproof, but we let our sensory kid wear them if we're not planning on getting out of the car. IE: for curbside pickup. They're warm enough to walk to the garage.  I have a winter emergency bag with actual boots if it was a survival situation. Don't pay full price, they have 40-60% off sales at least weekly.

• Like 1

We really liked the kamik single velcro strap snow boots.  Super easy on off, open wide, and if you're suiting up a kid for outdoors, they'd be hard for them to get off.  One of my kids was ALWAYS taking footwear off.  They are expensive

https://www.rei.com/product/135812/kamik-snowbug-3-snow-boots-toddlers

My kids wore robeez style shoes for a LONG time, we live in the upper midwest and needed the snow boots sometimes.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 1

both of these places have soft-sole winter boots.  I bought ds some from Canada when he was 2 and I cannot remember the name, but they were great!   We had to waterproof them and they were only good for about 30 minutes of snow play, but they worked!

Soft star shoes   https://www.softstarshoes.com/kids-shoes/child-sizes.html

Roolee   https://roolee.com/products/roan-leather-chelsea-soft-sole-boot

I also want to mention pediped because their soles are very flexible!

• Like 1

Great toddler shoes that are very flexible are Elefantin brand.  They are European and very expensive, but I used to find them at Ross regularly for 3/4 off.  They are leather.

DD didn’t cry when she wore hardsoled shoes, but she fell constantly.  She really needed flexible soles to be able to walk correctly.  Rubber rain boots were flexible enough for her.  I don’t have a recc for snow boots as we don’t deal with that here and didn’t take her to the snow from 9 months (babe in arms) until about age 6-7 by which time she was wearing fully normal boots.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

My sensitive DS17 used to live in Robeez booties in cream color. He is particular not only with texture but also with color. He could kick them off though when seated in stroller or car seat. 
https://www.amazon.com/Robeez-Classic-Bootie-Infant-Toddler/dp/B000GK15TO?th=1&psc=1

The first time we went to a ski resort was when he was three. We took him to REI and Sports Basement to pick out his snow boots. 

• Like 1

We've tried Robeez and pedipeds. While he doesn't yell in them, he just takes them off. Really, our problem is twofold. One: He just doesn't like shoes. Two: He can take off the shoes that he tolerates. 

I will be looking at elefanten shoes.

ETA: I think what I really need are high top, soft soled, lace-up shoes. Is that too much to ask for?

Edited by barnwife

4 hours ago, barnwife said:

ETA: I think what I really need are high top, soft soled, lace-up shoes. Is that too much to ask for?

Do you though? Devil's advocate here, he'll learn to take those off too; they are just harder to put on after he takes them off. Speaking as a mom who has a little girl who only wears shoes because I don't let her go outside or on the ground if she doesn't have them on.