Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

8 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Did she say to mask at least? Official word is 5 days isolation, (with first day as day 0), then 5 days masking around others. Sounds like a lot of people are not getting that second part clear. 

Also, about half of people will still test positive then!!! And if you do test positive on day 5, you should isolate until day 10. But of course, that just means people won't test, because if you don't know it, you don't have to do anything different. 

Nothing about masking. Just said I could rejoin them tomorrow. I’m going to retest tomorrow since it will be day six (and then I guess like every other day?). I just feel like I have a cold so not that bad. Thankfully, no one else feels sick and no one else tested positive on home tests yesterday. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

Nothing about masking. Just said I could rejoin them tomorrow. I’m going to retest tomorrow since it will be day six (and then I guess like every other day?). I just feel like I have a cold so not that bad. Thankfully, no one else feels sick and no one else tested positive on home tests yesterday. 

wow, might want to send them a message that CDC guidance is 5 days isolation, then 5 days MASKING around other people. Cause wow - if they are not saying that, that's a huge problem. My husband is still VERY positive on day 8!

Oh, and CDC also says that is based on symptoms getting better, and no fever for last 24 hours. If symptoms are staying the same, or getting worse, would need to stay in isolation. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 4

Ugh, So my most annoying symptom is an increased heart rate. Annoying, because it makes me feel anxious. Well, just now I had an alert from my apple watch that my heart rate was high while not moving - I was standing up using my laptop on the higher desk, and my heart rate was 123!! Now, I was shopping for toothbrushes which was sort of stressing me out (reasons) and there was a podcast on in the background about gun violence, also stressful, but still. 

I sat down on the bed, and did the ECG on the apple watch. It was inconclusive, which is never is. Did it 3 times, all inconclusive, finally did one and it was norma sinus rhythem. Felt weird again, did it again, and again inconclusive. 

REALLY hoping this is just from my body fighting infection, and not that Covid is effecting my heart directly. It really feels more like very low iron, but mine shouldn't be that low. I have a physical coming up the end of the month, and I know she will check it then. Blergh. 

had I been thinking straight I would have skipped my ADHD meds .. but too them out of habit. 

Heart rate is now 102. That's not uncommon. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Sad 8

21 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Ugh, So my most annoying symptom is an increased heart rate. Annoying, because it makes me feel anxious. Well, just now I had an alert from my apple watch that my heart rate was high while not moving - I was standing up using my laptop on the higher desk, and my heart rate was 123!! Now, I was shopping for toothbrushes which was sort of stressing me out (reasons) and there was a podcast on in the background about gun violence, also stressful, but still. 

I sat down on the bed, and did the ECG on the apple watch. It was inconclusive, which is never is. Did it 3 times, all inconclusive, finally did one and it was norma sinus rhythem. Felt weird again, did it again, and again inconclusive. 

REALLY hoping this is just from my body fighting infection, and not that Covid is effecting my heart directly. It really feels more like very low iron, but mine shouldn't be that low. I have a physical coming up the end of the month, and I know she will check it then. Blergh. 

had I been thinking straight I would have skipped my ADHD meds .. but too them out of habit. 

Heart rate is now 102. That's not uncommon. 

That’s unnerving, I’m sure. Hopefully it regulates as you start coming back out of this. Are you well hydrated? And definitely no fever?

3 minutes ago, SHP said:

Can you get a 24 monitor to make sure there isn't anything else happening or to at least document it? 

if it continues post infection stage I'll contact someone about this, yes. 

Right now, given that it is a known symptom of covid - increased heart rate, skipped beats, etc are all known to happen, not sure I could. I'd probably need to actually see a doctor, have them take a listen, etc and cant' do that now while infectious, lol. 

I just checked O2 sat with the watch, and it also is giving me "unsuccessful reading" so maybe my watch is just messed up. I got it to read once, got 94%. Yesterday I checked several times, just for fun, and it was 97-100 percent each time. I don't ahve any lung involvement that I can tell - no coughing, wheezing, etc. Only "normal" symptoms were some postnasal drip and one night of ear pressure/sinus pressure. No fever. 

I do think I may have been holding my breath without meaning to, due to stress/concentrating. I tend to hold my breathe or breathe very shallowly when stressed. 

I think I also have some mild POTS type stuff, always have, and this is aggravating it. I may also be a bit dehydrated, sitting around so much I don't FEEL thirsty, so drinking less. 

1 minute ago, KSera said:

That’s unnerving, I’m sure. Hopefully it regulates as you start coming back out of this. Are you well hydrated? And definitely no fever?

No fever, potentially not well hydrated. Will push some fluids the rest of the day! 

• Like 4

I did a 1 mile walk at home video yesterday, and wore a heart rate monitor the whole time. I had to be very careful to modify to keep my heartrate in the "green zone" and not get to high. (normally some red is fine, but given I'm fighting this off, wanted to keep it in the "green" zone). normally I would not have that issue. 

OH! am typing this standing where I was before, when the alert to high heart rate happend. Y'all, I'm locking my knees - I know when I was a kid I was told NOT to do that as you can pass out, etc. Maybe that's the issue (plus just higher heart rate due to infection)

yup, sensation of warmth and everything. https://u.osu.edu/buckmdblog/2015/04/23/oh-my-that-soldier-just-fainted/#:~:text=Locking the knees can indeed,is to bend your knees.

Edited by ktgrok
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Her reporting on the child hepatitis is incomplete and frustrating. She’s been taken to task for it on Twitter over the past several days. I do have some concern what it will be like for my youngest who has been sick only once in over two years (from an outing that we thought would be a Covid safe option because it was 99% outdoors). It could be a tough winter coming up, illness wise. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I sat down on the bed, and did the ECG on the apple watch. It was inconclusive, which is never is. Did it 3 times, all inconclusive, finally did one and it was norma sinus rhythm. Felt weird again, did it again, and again inconclusive. 

I have to take my ECG similar to how the nurses take my blood pressure. Else I get inconclusive.

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I just checked O2 sat with the watch, and it also is giving me "unsuccessful reading" so maybe my watch is just messed up. I got it to read once, got 94%. Yesterday I checked several times, just for fun, and it was 97-100 percent each time.

My apple watch 7 typically registers a lower O2 sat than my oximeter. My watch gives a 82-100% range for my readings. My oximeter gives a 93-100% range.

Ok, still wouldn't read my blood oxygen. Made DH try it, and it worked for him. Put it back on me, and now it works, lol. 98%. Maybe he intimidated it, lol. 

Either way, I saved the inconclusive ECG, and the watch will also save all my heart rate info, etc, if I need it for a doctor in the future. Going to lay down and try to calm myself, then will figure out lunch for DH and I. 

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Do you sit a certain way? I was on the bed, sitting cross legged. 

Sitting on a chair or bench with my arm resting on a flat surface (table or piano).  
If I am sitting on my bed, I would stretch my legs out and rest my arm on a firm pillow. 
I did try just now with my legs crossed while sitting on my piano bench and it was okay.

5 hours ago, KSera said:

Her reporting on the child hepatitis is incomplete and frustrating. She’s been taken to task for it on Twitter over the past several days. I do have some concern what it will be like for my youngest who has been sick only once in over two years (from an outing that we thought would be a Covid safe option because it was 99% outdoors). It could be a tough winter coming up, illness wise. 

Yes, that article didn't bring up at all what I'm concerned about - that people who have Covid are more susceptible to viruses than they were before, that their immunity is stuffed. This is what I'm seeing anecdotally, that those locally who had Covid are now getting quite sick with other things, random stuff like nosebleeds that won't stop, chronic tonsillitis, and just picking up cold after cold. 

It can't just be lockdown in most of Australia as for many people lockdown was short (sorry Victorians, not you guys). We certainly had colds during 2020 and 2021. And I've heard that's the same for parts of the USA, too?

I do agree that there seems to be a lot of stuff going around right now. For us, it's winter, it's the school term, there's always something circulating. 

5 hours ago, bookbard said:

Yes, that article didn't bring up at all what I'm concerned about - that people who have Covid are more susceptible to viruses than they were before, that their immunity is stuffed. This is what I'm seeing anecdotally, that those locally who had Covid are now getting quite sick with other things, random stuff like nosebleeds that won't stop, chronic tonsillitis, and just picking up cold after cold. 

It can't just be lockdown in most of Australia as for many people lockdown was short (sorry Victorians, not you guys). We certainly had colds during 2020 and 2021. And I've heard that's the same for parts of the USA, too?

I do agree that there seems to be a lot of stuff going around right now. For us, it's winter, it's the school term, there's always something circulating. 

Right. I keep thinking of measles and the way it wipes out prior immunity to things. This feels potentially like something along those lines. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

78451af4-fd2b-4941-b348-6b3456f92b63

Curious if anyone is living in an orange area on the new map, and if so, if everyone is being told to mask the way the new CDC guidelines said would be the case for high risk areas. I think a couple places in California are requiring now, but mostly it seems the risk classifications have been ignored ever since they were used to turn the country “green” so they could tell everyone they don’t need masks. I see Florida is almost solid “high risk” but I know they won’t have any mask requirements there. 

11 minutes ago, KSera said:

Curious if anyone is living in an orange area on the new map, and if so, if everyone is being told to mask the way the new CDC guidelines said would be the case for high risk areas. I think a couple places in California are requiring now, but mostly it seems the risk classifications have been ignored ever since they were used to turn the country “green” so they could tell everyone they don’t need masks. I see Florida is almost solid “high risk” but I know they won’t have any mask requirements there. 

We were orange/red for the past couple of months; nothing stronger than a 'recommendation' about masks.  

We've come down a bit from the last wave but are still clocking a steady 12 deaths every day (total) and 20-25 new hospitalizations a day (per 100k, not total), that's just for my state. That's now that we're back to green on that map.  No worries. 

23 hours ago, Joker2 said:

I have an isolation buddy now as Ds tested positive today. ☹️ So far, the other three here are feeling fine.

And now Dh is positive. Uggghhh!

Youngest and Ds’ fiancé tested negative today but do now have sore throats. I think by tomorrow they’ll probably be positive too.

And we live in a high rise in Chicago and still have to take the dog out so can’t completely avoid people. I think since today is day six for me, I will take dog out from now on and just double mask. I haven’t had fever at all and my symptoms aren’t any worse so hopefully that will be fine.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

My sister tested positive on Monday after being sick for 3 days (no after hours care except ER where she lives.) She has out of town guests and one of them had symptoms Monday night, so probably caught it. Haven't heard about any more symptoms from people in her house. 

She was told she could go back to work (Wal-Mart) today with a mask.

• Sad 4

I just realized the little bit of taste and smell I had recovered after losing them due to the flu  ten years ago is completely gone again. I’m interested to see if/when it comes back if I have to go through what I did before or of it will be different. 

• Sad 8

4 hours ago, KSera said:

I am pretty sure dh's work brought make a mask mandate when the county went high.  He was one of the only ones wearing a mask.

Moutain bike team-nothing

Nature school- when we ended for the year nobody had to wear a mask outdoor or on the grounds anymore.  But you did have to have one for inside.

Ballet school in our home state- Everyone masked.  They never dropped masks because they were waiting to get to certain threshold and it never happened.  There were a lot of people getting covid in April/May.

Ballet intensive that my kids are at in another state.  No mask mandate and then 3 days in and covid outbreaks happened masks for everyone.  They are on a college campus so eating and living with each other.  Everyone had to provide vaccine or negative test 72 hours before.

Next Ballet intensive they are going to in a totally different state,  you have get a negative PCR test 72 hours before it starts and a negative PCR test every week.  That totally stresses me out, but nothing I can do about it.

They were not going to be requiring masks, but just yesterday moved to mask recommended.  

Edited by mommyoffive

So DD22 got covid (for the first time) while working at a camp. Thankfully, she was able to isolate there (with a friend who also tested positive) so we were not exposed. I dropped off some things she needed (no contact) and the camp delivered meals, etc. to the door. The room has a balcony overlooking a lake and they have wifi so pretty cushy overall.

She lost taste and smell on day 4. At least that's when she noticed. She has always had a diminished sense of smell so she thinks she could have lost it a day or two earlier without noticing. She felt the worst on day 3, but better on day 4, then worse again on day 5 (but not as bad as day 3). On day 8 (yesterday), she woke up with a worsened cough and chest tightness. She has had pneumonia twice in the past so that concerned us. She went in to the doctor (they had her come in with a mask even though she was still on day 8 ) and her chest was clear, but they gave her an albuterol inhaler to help with the tightness. Hopefully, that is helping but I don't know for sure because she is out of contact again. The camp staff turn their phones off for the week when they are with campers. However, there are lots of people watching out for her and her quarantine buddy is one of the camp nurses 🙂

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

6 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Finding a vaccine apt for kids under 5

Find Vaccines for Kids Under 5 (United States) - Google Drive

4dd0aa29-c0b9-477c-a3d2-d65c9c7286a9

It’s been ridiculous trying to find a shot for a little one. 2 1/2 years in and many other vaccine rollouts already complete and they could not have planned ahead better for this one? I found an appointment for next week, but I’m not going to count on anything until the shot has actually been given. (I’ve made and canceled three other appointments this week where the system allowed me to schedule but when I called ahead to check, the place said they didn’t actually have the vaccine in hand yet and they didn’t know why the system allowed me to schedule). 

Edited by KSera
Typos
  • Sad 8

8 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

This study seems to strongly counterindicate the idea that if you keep getting covid it'll get milder/be easier to fight off. It seems to have found the opposite...

https://news.yahoo.com/keep-getting-covid-time-increases-163904572.html

😢. Never a good news. 
I feel like a broken record. We need better vaccines. I really hope we don’t stop investing in research and development of a pan coronavirus vaccine. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

😢. Never a good news. 
I feel like a broken record. We need better vaccines. I really hope we don’t stop investing in research and development of a pan coronavirus vaccine. 

I agree. I’m hopeful that at least the bivalent option(s) this fall will be ready to go and help a lot. 

• Like 1

Ugh… was hoping my heart rate was back to normal but it’s giving me trouble today. Had to quit a yoga session because it hit 141 just barely doing anything,  was 130s just stretching my arms overhead. 

I knew I was feeling off but ugh. I have a doctors appointment in a few weeks and if still having issues will ask for referral to cardiologist. 

• Sad 13