Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

On 12/31/2023 at 6:50 PM, mommyoffive said:

So funny that you brought up a personal filter, because I have thought of getting those several times.  However I was looking  at the much smaller ones you wear and could be used for airline travel.  I think they are worn around your neck.   

How long does the battery on the one you have last?  

From personal experience I'm not sure exactly how long our QT3 battery lasts because I don't always have the QT3 fully charged when I need it and frequently rely on my cell phone power bank when the battery runs out. The SmartAir link below says the battery lasts about 3 hours, though, and the Twitter thread they cite is what got me to consider buying the QT3 and extending the battery life with a power bank. 

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/students-using-qt3-portable-hepa-air-purifier-in-schools/

I'm not familiar with the filters worn around the neck, but I will say the cone of the air flow on the small personal Medify I tried is much smaller and feels much weaker. Comparison charts I saw at one point had data showing the QT3 was significantly more powerful. 

Although it's a little hassle to carry for me it makes up for that in effectiveness. 

Recently saw Air Canada may have banned personal filters on flights, but I don't have a source and really hope it's not true, or at least that other airlines don't attempt the same. 

• Like 1

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Acadie said:

I'm not familiar with the filters worn around the neck, but I will say the cone of the air flow on the small personal Medify I tried is much smaller and feels much weaker. Comparison charts I saw at one point had data showing the QT3 was significantly more powerful. 

Does the QT3 produce a wide enough cone you feel it would be practical for someone who might need to eat indoors? I would be curious to test the CO2 levels around a person’s head with the QT3 on the table in front of them and compare it to that of the room in general. I think I would need to see numbers like that before I would feel comfortable considering taking a mask off to eat indoors. Especially right now with current illness levels 😱.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KSera said:

These articles might help you feel reassured:

Vaccine Ingredients — DNA

Do DNA Fragments in COVID-19 mRNA Vaccines Cause Harm?

“Dr. Paul Offit explains why it’s virtually impossible for DNA fragments in COVID-19 mRNA vaccines to cause harms, such as cancers or autoimmune diseases.

Dr. Offit describes what would have to happen in order for DNA fragments to cause harm by explaining three protective mechanisms in our cells that DNA fragments from mRNA vaccines cannot overcome. First, the cytoplasm has immune mechanisms and enzymes that destroy foreign DNA. Second, the fragments would have to enter the nucleus, which requires a nuclear membrane access signal that these DNA fragments don't have. Third, even if they were able to enter the nucleus, the fragments would need to have an enzyme called integrase to become part of our DNA, which they also don’t have.

These facts should be reassuring to anyone concerned about a health risk caused by DNA fragments in vaccines.”

Adding to above post:

DNA fragments in vaccines is not a new thing.   Multiple vaccines have residual DNA from host cells, both human and animal.  Live attenuated vaccines that contain DNA viruses (Chickenpox, mpox and smallpox vaccines) will also, by definition, have quite a lot of viral DNA in them.

Philadelphia Children's Hospital has a nice info page on this, with some references.

Vaccine Safety: Myths and Misinformation

Our bodies deal with foreign DNA all the time.  Every time you eat or have any kind of viral infection.

It is true that some viruses are oncogenic, but this is in the context of infection.   I haven't seen any robust evidence to support vaccine oncogenesis from approved vaccines.  Quite the reverse, actually --  e.g. we vaccinate for HPV to prevent cancer, quite successfully.  

I am much more worried about covid infection as a cause of cancer than I am about covid vaccine.  I think it's plausible that covid vaccine may actually turn out to prevent cancer if covid turns out to be oncogenic in the long run.  We have no idea what this virus has in store for us in terms of long-term sequellae.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Malory said:

He's not the only one. Over the last few months, several labs and scientists have discovered similar contamination and are calling for a halt until it can be proven that integration into human DNA is not a thing.

Every bit of food you eat contains the DNA of that organism —  and some of the food we eat even contains the DNA of rodents and other humans. Our bodies contain more bacterial DNA than human DNA, including bacterial DNA circulating in the blood of healthy humans. Adenoviruses and other DNA viruses infect humans all the time — and those are actively replicating organisms, not barely detectable traces of DNA fragments. If the mere presence of fragments of foreign DNA in the human body resulted in integration with human DNA and changes to the human genome, we wouldn't exist.

The fear-mongering over remnant DNA fragments in covid vaccines is on the same level as the nonsense about magnetism and 5G, and is being pushed by the same sources.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, wathe said:

I am much more worried about covid infection as a cause of cancer than I am about covid vaccine.  I think it's plausible that covid vaccine may actually turn out to prevent cancer if covid turns out to be oncogenic in the long run.  We have no idea what this virus has in store for us in terms of long-term sequellae.

You & me both.

I've really never been one to push the vaccine even tho I got vaxxed as soon as I could & have some boosters. If people don't want a vaccine, fine (too bad they could never be quiet about that). But I've always been astonished at the # of people who are spittle-flecked in their insistence that the Covid vaccine is so very, very dangerous while also completely ignoring (& completely dismissing) the fact that the Covid virus itself is *completely unknown* in terms of it's long term impacts. Side note: much more is known now of it's intermidiate risks, and, golly gee, C19 isn't very benign at all to a large # of people. And who knows what will be discovered over the coming years?

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Mom_to3 said:

Just saw articles claiming that hospitals in Italy and Spain are collapsing. We are entering year 5. Will we live like this forever (and who will even want to enter into a health care profession?)

Having traveled for the last month, including weeks in Italy and Spain....we saw almost no one masking anywhere.  We didn't get heckled like we did in the UK for wearing masks, but rarely did we ever see anyone in a mask, and when we did, it was usually a fellow tourist in an airport.  We heard loud hacking coughing everywhere we went and saw visibly ill people out and about throughout each of our days.

Interestingly, when we were in the Seattle airport, we were suddenly re-surrounded by people in masks, including airport staff, and there were people just outside passport control offering free covid testing as they are trying to catch developments in new strains. 

Priorities....almost all of us are capable of masking....

• Like 6

Also, if y'all could keep your fingers crossed for us....we were boosted in November and wore KF94s or N95s through all of our trip, but the row in front of us on our flight home from Paris this weekend had horrible hacking coughs. Dh and I both have medical procedures scheduled for this month that we need to not reschedule due to illness if at all possible. We'll take all well wishes we can that we stay well.  

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Sad 5

18 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Also, if y'all could keep your fingers crossed for us....we were boosted in November and wore KF94s or N95s through all of our trip, but the row in front of us on our flight home from Paris this weekend had horrible hacking coughs. Dh and I both have medical procedures scheduled for this month that we need to not reschedule due to illness if at all possible. We'll take all well wishes we can that we stay well.  

Wishing you well for sure! Hopefully the coughers were out of their most contagious stage and your masks stopped you from breathing their germs. Are you doing nasal sprays and throat gargles or any of that kind of thing to boost your odds? If your exposure was over the weekend and you're still well, that's a good sign. Most people seem to be having quite short incubation times right now.

Some long covid studies out today, both good and bad.

First, a study out in Nature finding that Muscle abnormalities worsen after post-exertional malaise in long COVID. A laymen's version of results reported in The Guardian  today: Long Covid causes changes in body that make exercise debilitating – study.

The bottom line is nothing people with long covid don't already know, but having it published like this and finding physiological evidence of what is causing what people already know they are experiencing is helpful and will hopefully lead toward treatments. In the short term, hopefully this prevents some health care practitioners from making people sicker by telling them to exercise more.

In more disappointing news, a new study showed that a 5 day course of Paxlovid did NOT reduce the incidence of long covid among vaccinated people who were not hospitalized for their infection. It didn't even reduce the incidence of severe long covid. They also found the rebound rate to be higher than previously reported. Study Finds Paxlovid Treatment Does Not Reduce Risk of Long COVID.

(The Paxlovid study was not investigating the question with regard to unvaccinated people, who are at higher risk of poor outcomes and have been shown in previous study to benefit from Paxlovid.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KSera said:

Wishing you well for sure! Hopefully the coughers were out of their most contagious stage and your masks stopped you from breathing their germs. Are you doing nasal sprays and throat gargles or any of that kind of thing to boost your odds? If your exposure was over the weekend and you're still well, that's a good sign. Most people seem to be having quite short incubation times right now.

I'm doing what I can, but a few of us feel really run down like we are on the edge of something. The 4 of us who can stay home are, and the two who must be out are masking. I haven't restarted my immunosuppressant because of the exposure so I'm flaring also--which feels a helluva a lot like early flu. 

• Sad 9

14 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I'm doing what I can, but a few of us feel really run down like we are on the edge of something. The 4 of us who can stay home are, and the two who must be out are masking. I haven't restarted my immunosuppressant because of the exposure so I'm flaring also--which feels a helluva a lot like early flu. 

Ugh, I’m sorry. Are you five days out from exposure yet? If you are, perhaps you could get a PCR test so that you can decide whether to restart your immunosuppressants. Although, if it’s flu not Covid, I suppose you wouldn’t want to start them either? There’s that home NAAT test available now to test for both Covid and flu. It’s pricey but might be worth it in this scenario.

6 hours ago, Acadie said:

So I got a personal air filter for overseas travel (Respiray I think?) and it felt too weak and useless, and just awkward to wear. The only use really was when we were waiting at the airport and it was incredibly hot, as a little fan! 

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

So I got a personal air filter for overseas travel (Respiray I think?) and it felt too weak and useless, and just awkward to wear. The only use really was when we were waiting at the airport and it was incredibly hot, as a little fan! 

I was reading more about personal air filters today, and it doesn’t sound worth it to me. I think the pee in the pool analogy works well here. If you have a small, low-powered water filter strapped to you in a pool filled with pee-water, it’s not going to make a clean bubble of water around you. My concern is that it could be even worse than nothing by actively drawing contaminated air in the room toward me. I think switching to an elastomeric would be a better move in very high risk scenarios (which is kind of everything in public currently).

Edited by KSera
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KSera said:

There’s that home NAAT test available now to test for both Covid and flu. It’s pricey but might be worth it in this scenario.

@prairiewindmomma  DS19 did the COVID-19 + Flu + RSV Test at university health service in October and the results were fast. They did charge him $400.

Labcorp has a home test kit for $129

https://www.ondemand.labcorp.com/at-home-test-kits/covid-19-flu-rsv-test-home-collection-kit

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, kbutton said:

It’s definitely really good news, but somehow hard to take comfort in for the long Covid sufferers in the fully vaccinated and boosted group. (Though the numbers make it all the more hugely annoying to constantly run into ignorant people spouting about how long Covid doesn’t exist and it’s really vaccine injury (they never have a reply about how it is that there are still so many who were infected in the first year of Covid, pre-vaccine,  that have had long Covid since 2020). I saw so many of those comments under the story about the muscle/mitochondrial damage Covid research out today.)

• Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@prairiewindmomma  DS19 did the COVID-19 + Flu + RSV Test at university health service in October and the results were fast. They did charge him $400.

https://www.ondemand.labcorp.com/at-home-test-kits/covid-19-flu-rsv-test-home-collection-kit

The Lucira test doesn’t test for RSV, but it’s $30.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I saw a post on Twitter saying you can buy a combined Covid, Flu A&B, and RSV lateral flow home test for about $4 in Germany. The cost of tests over here is still ridiculous after all this time.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, TCB said:

I saw a post on Twitter saying you can buy a combined Covid, Flu A&B, and RSV lateral flow home test for about $4 in Germany. The cost of tests over here is still ridiculous after all this time.

$4 would be a good price for college kids away from home and for people like my family and relatives who have seasonal allergies coinciding with flu/RSV season. The COVID-19/ RSV/ lnfluenza A&B Antigen test kits available in Australia for self test are about the cost of the off the shelf covid test kit here. I saw one of the AU govt approved ones selling for AUD 10.99 (about USD 7.38).

https://www.tga.gov.au/resources/covid-19-test-kits

• Like 1

Ladapo literally referred to covid vaccines as "the anti-Christ" on Steve Bannon's podcast yesterday:

"I think it probably does have some integration at some levels with the human genome because these vaccines are honestly, they’re the anti-Christ of all products. ... You know, it’s just complete disrespect to the human genome and the importance of protecting it and preserving it. And that is our connection to God."

The recent metanalysis linked upthread found that 3 or more vaccine doses reduce the risk of long covid by 69-73%, and a new study from the Netherlands indicated that the XBB booster was 70-73% effective against hospitalization and ICU admissions in people over 60 — and yet the person in charge of public health policy for the state with the highest percentage of seniors wants to deny them access to the one thing proven to significantly reduce both hospitalizations and long covid, based on a nonsensical mashup of pseudoscience and religion.

There's also a new metanalysis out of France indicating an 11% increased risk of death from treating covid with hydroxychloroquine, and they estimate that HCQ may have caused an additional 12,000 deaths in the US alone.

Pierre Kory and Paul Marik, of the "Frontline Covid Critical Care Alliance," who testified to Congress that ivermectin was a "miracle drug" and falsely claimed that the "protocol" they developed was vastly more effective than standard treatments, have now been stripped of their board certification. Their paper was retracted after the hospital where they did the trial released the actual data, showing that patients on their protocol had significantly worse outcomes than those getting standard care. Yet the FLCCC is still promoting and prescribing an ivermectin-based protocol for covid — and now they're pushing it for flu and RSV as well. 

These idiots are literally killing people with misinformation. It's infuriating.

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

A quote from the article:

Other meds. Lastly, there are many other medications that have possible interactions with Paxlovid. Some are related to heart disease, including blood thinners and blood pressure medications. For these, it also seems highly unlikely that skipping them for 5-10 days would be as dangerous as passing on Paxlovid among the truly high-risk population that benefits from it. The same analysis as above would also apply to those medications; the upshot is that the short-term risk of a fatal heart attack is just not that high, even among fairly recent heart attack survivors (that is, more than a few months out).”

I’m a bit distressed reading the fine print on his blood thinner comments. Not all blood thinner patients are on them to avoid heart attacks!!! Many have a blood clotting disorder and a history of repeated blood clots. Some are on initial anticoagulant therapy, meaning they clotted recently! And if someone has autoimmune clotting (antiphospholipid syndrome/APS), they are at much higher risk of a catastrophic presentation of their disorder, which causes systemic clots and has a high fatality rate. Illness of any kind is a risk factor for this presentation.

Blood thinners are not just for heart attack risk. 

I usually love his information, but it’s like he had a total brain fart about who ELSE takes anticoagulants (and there may be other categories). 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

This is a great one for sharing with people confused/concerned/misled by the Florida Surgeon General remarks. It still floors me that someone who has so little understanding of how medical things work is in a position to issue medical guidelines for an entire state. It's horrible.

58 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

These idiots are literally killing people with misinformation. It's infuriating.

💯 The number of people they are responsible for the deaths of is staggering. And people still defend them and their misinformation. It's mind boggling.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I’m a bit distressed reading the fine print on his blood thinner comments.

I felt that way on the blood pressure medication part. Some people can stop their blood pressure medication cold turkey for 5 days and it's not a risk.  But some bp medications are not safe to stop cold turkey (like for people on high doses of beta blockers). And some people have such high bp without medication that it actually really could be an immediate stroke risk and not safe.

I agree completely on the statin thing, and that's what I've usually heard people say is the reason their doctor didn't want to prescribe paxlovid, but I think it would have been a better post if he had stuck to the statins.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Other meds. Lastly, there are many other medications that have possible interactions with Paxlovid. Some are related to heart disease, including blood thinners and blood pressure medications. For these, it also seems highly unlikely that skipping them for 5-10 days would be as dangerous as passing on Paxlovid among the truly high-risk population that benefits from it. The same analysis as above would also apply to those medications; the upshot is that the short-term risk of a fatal heart attack is just not that high, even among fairly recent heart attack survivors (that is, more than a few months out).”

I’m a bit distressed reading the fine print on his blood thinner comments. Not all blood thinner patients are on them to avoid heart attacks!!! Many have a blood clotting disorder and a history of repeated blood clots. Some are on initial anticoagulant therapy, meaning they clotted recently! And if someone has autoimmune clotting (antiphospholipid syndrome/APS), they are at much higher risk of a catastrophic presentation of their disorder, which causes systemic clots and has a high fatality rate. Illness of any kind is a risk factor for this presentation.

I usually love his information, but it’s like he had a total brain fart about who ELSE takes anticoagulants (and there may be other categories). 

I have the same quibble about the argument around hydroxychloroquine, which I take for autoimmune reasons. Having RA quadruples my cardiac risk—while hcq can mess with your qt, my cardiac risk is lower on hcq than off it.

• Like 3

We all seem to be on the mend today…and my muscle aches and joint pain are clearly from flaring as the joint swelling and redness and mobility issues are all fully present. Dh has his procedure this afternoon. 

I’m going to keep up with my preventative stuff, but I plan to restart my immunosuppressant at day 8 after being home since that should put me out of the window for influenza and close to it for the current strain of covid.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, KSera said:

I felt that way on the blood pressure medication part. Some people can stop their blood pressure medication cold turkey for 5 days and it's not a risk.  But some bp medications are not safe to stop cold turkey (like for people on high doses of beta blockers). And some people have such high bp without medication that it actually really could be an immediate stroke risk and not safe.

I agree completely on the statin thing, and that's what I've usually heard people say is the reason their doctor didn't want to prescribe paxlovid, but I think it would have been a better post if he had stuck to the statins.

Yeah, people take beta blockers for aneurysms and all kinds of stuff. Also applicable to my relatives, lol!

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

I agree that the paragraphs you've quoted are really bad advice.

Stopping a statin is usually no big deal, but some other meds can't be safely stopped.  And others might be OK to stop individually, one at a time, but stopping a combination of them all at once may turn out to cause harm.   Especially since the evidence for paxlovid is so poor to start with --- the only population with RTC data that showed benefit pretty much no longer exists (unvaccinated and high-risk and no previous covid exposure)

Stopping meds with known benefit in order to take a med with unknown/unproven benefit seems unwise. 

I do think it's worth making a distinction between meds taken for long-term prevention (statins for CAD to prevent future MI, thinners for a-fib to prevent future stroke, ace-inhibiter for  long-term renal protection diabetics) and meds for treatment of active conditions (thinners for existing clots, anti-convulsants for active seizure disorders etc, antihypertensives for severe essential hypertension).   I wouldn't be so worried about holding the former, but would be much more concerned about holding the latter, even though in some cases they might be the exact same medication, the very same meds can be used for different indications.  The indication matters, I think.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Interesting read! Note: "After Omicron, the likelihood of seeing another new hyper-mutated this soon (in <24 months) was deemed low, about 15-20% by a panel of 10 experts. Now that it has occurred and resulted in a substantial wave of infections, our expectation to see another Omicron-like event should be raised."  It is very unfortunate that the world is not taking this as a warning sign to put all efforts (and $$) into an Operation Warp Speed #2. I see so many warning signs that those in power are (seemingly willfully) ignoring.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

50 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Dh ended up sick after all. We had hoped it was post anesthesia issues, but he’s got a respiratory something that tested negative for covid (at least initially).

Oh darn. I’m sorry. I hope it resolves quickly and that it doesn’t turn out to be Covid. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2024 at 9:31 PM, mommyoffive said:

I emailed this link along with CDC wastewater data for my state to dd17’s school. We have more historical wastewater data than most states, and our wastewater levels are actually higher now than the original Omicron wave, when the school had a mask requirement.

Also included info on risks of reinfection and LC in young people. Head of school replied to thank me for bringing it to their attention, said the links were helpful and that they would meet to discuss. Not sure if anything will come of it but I’m hoping they send a message on the surge, refresher on health policy and recommend masking. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Acadie said:

I emailed this link along with CDC wastewater data for my state to dd17’s school. We have more historical wastewater data than most states, and our wastewater levels are actually higher now than the original Omicron wave, when the school had a mask requirement.

Also included info on risks of reinfection and LC in young people. Head of school replied to thank me for bringing it to their attention, said the links were helpful and that they would meet to discuss. Not sure if anything will come of it but I’m hoping they send a message on the surge, refresher on health policy and recommend masking. 

That is awesome that you did that and they were receptive and at least are going to discuss it.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Acadie said:

We have more historical wastewater data than most states, and our wastewater levels are actually higher now than the original Omicron wave, when the school had a mask requirement.

Interesting. Apparently the current levels of Covid in the community in NSW are at one of its highest as well. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-09/nsw-sydney-covid-variant-virus-pandemic-hospitalisations/103298610

• Sad 1