Menu

2021 Year in Review - Day 13

Granny_Weatherwax

Can't think of anything big.  I can think of a number of small moments where I realized the rotation of the earth doesn't depend on me doing everything independently and perfectly.  Of course, I already knew this, but it can be hard to remember it in the midst of a struggle.

I can also think of a number of small moments when my kids turned a corner in a positive way.  But not what you'd call a "breakthrough," I don't think.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The prompts for this review are to be interpreted by each individual. There are no right or wrong interpretations.

That being said, I interpret it as an aha moment. You may have learned something that explained a great personal mystery or experienced something that enlightened you. Something may have happened that caused you to reflect and say "OMG, that's why/what/how."

DH got laid off...again - but it's so much LESS scary when it doesn't happen @ the beginning of lockdown! It's been 2-1/2 months and he's employed again....sooo much better than the 10 months of unemployment in 2020!! And I got to see, all over again, how consistent and comitted he was to job hunting and putting his best foot forward. This time his daughters got to hear his interviews (all by phone) and be impressed with him too.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

The prompts for this review are to be interpreted by each individual. There are no right or wrong interpretations.

That being said, I interpret it as an aha moment. You may have learned something that explained a great personal mystery or experienced something that enlightened you. Something may have happened that caused you to reflect and say "OMG, that's why/what/how."

Thank you. By that definition. Nothing.

I realized that when dh is being very negative and difficult, there is usually anxiety at the heart of it. I don’t know why it took me twenty-seven years to get it, but I’m glad I realize it now. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I realized that you can't rely on people to care about you and have your back, except for your immediate family.
That all the "sisterhood" and "community" babblings are empty words and that folks aren't willing to expend time and effort on their so-called "friends" when it isn't fun or convenient. That the only reliable things are the woods and the river. And, if you're lucky, your family (I know that isn't the case for everyone).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, Quill said:

I realized that when dh is being very negative and difficult, there is usually anxiety at the heart of it. I don’t know why it took me twenty-seven years to get it, but I’m glad I realize it now. 

I'm not an anxious person myself, so it also took me a very long time to recognize and deal with in my family members.  I still find it very hard to actively listen and not immediately go into problem solving mode.  That seems to be my default setting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Hannah said:

I'm not an anxious person myself, so it also took me a very long time to recognize and deal with in my family members.  I still find it very hard to actively listen and not immediately go into problem solving mode.  That seems to be my default setting.

Yeeeessss. It was preparing for our daughter’s wedding that finally (finally!) made me realize it. He was complaining about certain decisions that would be preferable to practically everybody. At some points I thought, “Oh. I get it; his baby girl is getting married and it’s outside of his control, so he’s picking on stupid things that *are* within his control.” 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Quill said:

Yeeeessss. It was preparing for our daughter’s wedding that finally (finally!) made me realize it. He was complaining about certain decisions that would be preferable to practically everybody. At some points I thought, “Oh. I get it; his baby girl is getting married and it’s outside of his control, so he’s picking on stupid things that *are* within his control.” 

Is he open to you calling this out?  We've obviously had a lot of 'my brain works differently to yours' conversations in the last year since my dd's autism diagnosis, and a few more of 'Dd is more like you than you'd like to think LOL!'

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Hannah said:

Is he open to you calling this out?  We've obviously had a lot of 'my brain works differently to yours' conversations in the last year since my dd's autism diagnosis, and a few more of 'Dd is more like you than you'd like to think LOL!'

Well, I did point it out to him. I don’t think he loved hearing it, but it may have made him internally say, “That’s true.” 

I do think it’s tricky, as a parent, to witness your kids doing something (negative) the way you do. I have had to face that several times in the past several years with various kids. I find myself sometimes annoyed with one child who would stayed holed up in the bedroom 100% of the time if there were no obligations to the contrary, but then I remember that is *exactly* what I was like at the same age. I just needed a large amount of time to decompress from the necessary things like school. There was no bandwidth left for school football games or talent shows. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lovinmyboys said:

My breakthrough came from reading the book 4000 Weeks. The average human lifespan is short and I am going to miss out on almost all possible human experiences. Living until 80 gives me approx 4000 weekends.

Isn't it a fabulous book? Oliver Burkeman has a newsletter he sends out too which is worth subscribing to. 

• Like 1