Menu

dishes for a get together

DawnM

My mom's side of the family have a Christmas get together every December.   It is 90 min. away.   I am supposed to take food.....nothing specified but I would like to take a main dish, a dessert, and a side.

I need easy, quick, and can travel easily.  I would like to make something, but if I have to, I will just buy.....

And......GO!

Cole slaw type salads, fruit salads, and marinated bean salads all are easy and travel well without needing to be reheated.  

For a main dish I would do ham, meat and cheese platter, or something like a platter of chicken salad sandwiches that could be kept cold

• Thanks 1

Not a specific item but, for transport, I’ve always had success with wrapping a crock pot in a towel and putting it in a cardboard box stuffed with at least a towel on bottom and a towel on top.  Then closed. Still piping hot as much as 2 hours later when left in an un heated car. (That’s the max I’ve needed.) 90 minutes in a heated car seems like no problem to me.

Items that are less dependent on temperature (hot pretzels in my most recent experience) have done fine in regular foil pans wrapped the same way.

It’s how we use our beach towels in the off season, lol.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What about a hearty salad, maybe with grains, as the main dish so you won't have to worry about temperature?  Something like:

https://food52.com/recipes/74872-deb-perelman-s-winter-slaw-with-farro

https://www.marthastewart.com/1159999/wilted-brussels-sprouts-salad-warm-apple-cider-dressing (This has a warm dressing but it's also good at room temperature)

I also second the idea of ham and slaw as the side dish.

Dessert - tis the season for cookies! Or pick up a pie?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Is this a seated meal?  Finger foods?  Will you have a way to heat things there?  Refrigerate? What is the timing? Arriving and then eating soon, or does it need to last longer?

buffet/pot luck style meal

It is hard to heat things there.   There is a tiny microwave but my pan won't fit in there.   And there is not a fridge available.

Arrive and eat very soon after.....most of the food ends up being more room temp/warm, so it doesn't need to be piping hot, but I would like it a bit warm.   We CAN plug in a crock pot unless there are too many of them.

My go-to OK-at-room-temp potluck dishes are a side of salmon w/dill sauce, tray of grilled or roasted vegetable, brownie.

My go-to OK-at-room temp vegetarian is pesto pasta with chunks of sundried tomato and mozzarella.

My go-to vegan is felafel w/tahini and pita, but that needs to be warmed up on arrival.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Not a specific item but, for transport, I’ve always had success with wrapping a crock pot in a towel and putting it in a cardboard box stuffed with at least a towel on bottom and a towel on top.  Then closed. Still piping hot as much as 2 hours later when left in an un heated car. (That’s the max I’ve needed.) 90 minutes in a heated car seems like no problem to me.

Items that are less dependent on temperature (hot pretzels in my most recent experience) have done fine in regular foil pans wrapped the same way.

It’s how we use our beach towels in the off season, lol.

Ok, I am going to try this.   

I am going to make a potato/ham cream casserole and cook it from 6-10am on high and then wrap it like you suggested.   

I think for dessert I am going to make buckeye bars.   I should make a few batches so we have extra here and I have a bunch to take to my holiday event at school next week.

Thanks guys.   I was actually considering just picking something up on the way, but this will save me $$ and this family is very Southern and all bring homemade, and NOT too many vegetables unless it is butter (lima) beans, which I don't care for.

• Like 2

Corn Pie is a family favorite here - and it is yummy at room temperature too, so if no room to warm it up quick in the over, that's fine. This side dish is now requested at every family get together, and I've had at least a dozen people ask me for the recipe over the years. (edit - should fit right in at a southern family gathering!!!)

Corn Pie (side dish, not dessert!)

1 can corn (drained)

1 can creamed corn

1 stick butter - softened

1 container sour cream (8 oz)

1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix (Now that we are gluten free I use half a package of Klutz gluten free cornbread mix and that works too)

2 graham cracker pie crusts (gluten free ones work as well)

Mix all ingredients other than the crusts and pour into the crusts. Bake at 350 for about 45-55 minutes, until set and just starting to turn golden brown. 

Serve warm or at room temperature. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Corn Pie is a family favorite here - and it is yummy at room temperature too, so if no room to warm it up quick in the over, that's fine. This side dish is now requested at every family get together, and I've had at least a dozen people ask me for the recipe over the years. (edit - should fit right in at a southern family gathering!!!)

1 can corn (drained)

1 can creamed corn

1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix (Now that we are gluten free I use half a package of Klutz gluten free cornbread mix and that works too)

Mix all ingredients other than the crusts and pour into the crusts. Bake at 350 for about 45-55 minutes, until set and just starting to turn golden brown. 

Yes!! Super easy and yummy. Only we’ve never put it in pie crusts—just a greased casserole dish.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DawnM said:

I think for dessert I am going to make buckeye bars.   I should make a few batches so we have extra here and I have a bunch to take to my holiday event at school next week.

Would you mind sharing your recipe for buckeye bars? I've found a few online but would rather use one that is tried and true. 😊

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

1 can corn (drained)

1 can creamed corn

Oh wow, that sounds super easy.   

20 hours ago, popmom said:

Yes!! Super easy and yummy. Only we’ve never put it in pie crusts—just a greased casserole dish.

Yeah, the pie crusts elevate it....well..I mean, maybe "elevate" isn't the right word, lol. But they make it even more yummy/bad for you! 

17 hours ago, DawnM said:

Oh wow, that sounds super easy.   

It is RIDICULOUSLY easy. Like, less than 5 minutes easy. Hardest part is remembering to leave the butter out to soften! And it transports well, so is a go to for potlucks. 

• Like 1

I like pies with meringue crusts for things like this.  You can make the crust two days in advance, and the filling is always chilled so you can chill it in a canning jar and then add right before serving.  I like Angel Pie, the lemon version.  

For a side, my go to is you blanch trimmed, clean green beans so that they are bright green but still crisp, and then marinade in a Dijon mustard vinaigrette with chopped shallots in the mix.  I have one of those Tupperware marinades that you can just flip to mix, and I make this a day or two in advance and flip it in my fridge every time I think of it.  It’s good at room temp or cold, so it’s great for a buffet.

For a main dish, I’m not sure.  I like making chili, and those envelope seasoning packets are easy and surprisingly good, but to me it’s not a very festive dish.