Menu

Wonder Years remake...

WildflowerMom

4 hours ago, KSera said:

I didn't know it had started, but we don't have anything to watch these days, so we'll try it. What ages would you say?

Not an all ages show.  I didn't like it, which really disappointed me as I loved Wonder Years. We tried to watch the first one all as a family and within 2 mins they was constant talk about wet dreams and a few other things.  Oh.   Not a show for a few of my younger ones.

It is on ABC

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Not an all ages show.  I didn't like it, which really disappointed me as I loved Wonder Years. We tried to watch the first one all as a family and within 2 mins they was constant talk about wet dreams and a few other things.  Oh.   Not a show for a few of my younger ones.

It is on ABC

That’s pretty much like the original. If you go back 10-15 years, tv was a lot less sanitized. It’s a coming of age show and that’s part of coming of age for lots of kids.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

That’s pretty much like the original. If you go back 10-15 years, tv was a lot less sanitized. It’s a coming of age show and that’s part of coming of age for lots of kids.

Yeah it just wasn't right for all ages in our case as our youngest is in K.   So it was out for an all family show.

But that isn't the reason I didn't like it and stopped watching it.  I lost interest in it the first episode and couldn't get into it.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, mommyoffive said:

Yeah it just wasn't right for all ages in our case as our youngest is in K.   So it was out for an all family show.

But that isn't the reason I didn't like it and stopped watching it.  I lost interest in it the first episode and couldn't get into it.  

That’s been the primary critique. Some families cannot see themselves reflected in the experiences of other families.

• Like 1

Just now, Sneezyone said:

That’s been the primary critique. Some families cannot see themselves reflected in the experiences of other families.

I tend to do that with books and such.  If I get bored or don't like it a few pages in, I don't keep going.    I guess that wasn't my feeling.  I don't ever really think that, if my family isn't reflected in what I am watching or reading.  It just bored me, didn't find it fun or engaging to watch, and wasn't something that left me guessing.  Just not my show. 

• Like 1

I have not seen an episode of the new Wonder Years series yet. But very much looking forward to seeing it and am hearing great things.

We did watch Them this summer (black family moves into a hostile all white suburb of Los Angeles) and I thought it was one of the most artistic and well acted series I've seen in ages. And I grew up in LA during the period and it rang true in the depiction of race relations, even there were strong "horror genre" elements overlaid on the social drama. Too dark and too violent for many tastes, I'm sure. But a work of high art in my estimation.

Curious to see how the Wonder Years deals with similar times and similar themes.

Bill

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

We watched the first tonight and I felt pretty cringey about my ten year old watching for the same kind of reasons. I don’t like it for my preschooler for different reasons. We will keep watching though (well, not the little one).

But Dulé Hill! That was my big excitement about it. I had no idea he was in it. The West Wing was one of our binge series over the earlier pandemic, so it was super fun to see Charlie all grown up 😁.

3 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

We watched an episode from the original as well so they would have context  for what it’s a remake of, and I was cringing at all the d@mn and h@lls from the dad on that one. I didn’t realize that was so prevalent in kid shows made in that time period. I’m also weirded out by all the 12 year old kissing stuff, as are my kids, but it didn’t weird me out when I was that age watching it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

We watched the first tonight and I felt pretty cringey about my ten year old watching for the same kind of reasons. I don’t like it for my preschooler for different reasons. We will keep watching though (well, not the little one).

But Dulé Hill! That was my big excitement about it. I had no idea he was in it. The West Wing was one of our binge series over the earlier pandemic, so it was super fun to see Charlie all grown up 😁.

We watched an episode from the original as well so they would have context  for what it’s a remake of, and I was cringing at all the d@mn and h@lls from the dad on that one. I didn’t realize that was so prevalent in kid shows made in that time period. I’m also weirded out by all the 12 year old kissing stuff, as are my kids, but it didn’t weird me out when I was that age watching it. 

People are a lot more sensitive these days, lol. Try watching Goonies…alone!

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

It is funny because when  you have an big age range of kids it is hard to find a show/movie that you can all watch together and enjoy.  I was talking about that to another mom who has 5 kids over a big range of years.  

But I also realize that I make a fast judgment on if I will keep watching a show.  I have already ruled out a lot of the new shows that I thought I might be into within the first 10 mins or less. I don't give things a chance much I guess.