Menu

Your favorite cheer up movie

TexasProud

3 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Yeah, this was a huge parenting fail that my kids will not let me forget.  I remembered Ghostbusters fondly. Kept telling my teens they had to see this move. So one day we watched it.  Well, it wasn't that great and I fell asleep only to wake up to my daughter and middle child shrieking at the oral s-- scene." MOM...why in the world did you let us watch this movie... How did you think it was appropriate???"

So now, when I wax nostalgic over some 80's movie that was so good, they ask if it is as good as Ghostbusters...  LOL.  It is a big family joke here.

Exactly what happened here. DH and I had only seen it on TV as kids. Our second thought was finally understanding about the Key and Gatekeeper…. 

36 minutes ago, Arctic Bunny said:

Exactly what happened here. DH and I had only seen it on TV as kids. Our second thought was finally understanding about the Key and Gatekeeper…. 

This is every movie from the 80s that DH and I fondly remember. Apparently we watched them all edited for tv. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't Tell Mom The Babysitters Dead

Love many of the ones already mentioned - Ever After (love when she carries him out from the pirates), Dirty Dancing, Mamma Mia definitely.

I'm partial to dance and cheerleader movies because I saw ALL of them when oldest dd was young.  

Robin Hood Men in Tights if I want goofy silly humor.

True Lies (Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis)

The Proposal (Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds and Betty White)

I also have particular favorite episodes of shows like Supernatural, Buffy.  I'm rewatching Psych and Burn Notice, and been enjoying the new Leverage and really liked Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist (although parts of that were pretty depressing). 

Edited by Wheres Toto

7 hours ago, Arctic Bunny said:

Our second thought was finally understanding about the Key and Gatekeeper…. 

Oh my gosh... I am so naïve  Didn't understand till you said it. Never crossed my mind.  And honestly, that is the thing about the movies in the 80's. I think a TON went completely over my head. My parents were not religious and I went to public school, but  I was so, so innocent. Probably still am compared to a lot of people.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

Love many of the ones already mentioned - Ever After (love when she carries him out from the pirates)

True Lies (Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis)

The Proposal (Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds and Betty White)

Yes! I like the Proposal. Betty White just cracks me up.  I remember liking True Lies when it came out, but that was before children and sometimes what I thought was good then, hasn't been good when I have rewatched, so nice to get a vote for this one. May have to stream it. Ever After is good, too.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, whitestavern said:

Many of my favs have already been mentioned, but another one I love is Four Weddings and a Funeral.

Yes!  And Notting Hill is great everytime too! 

Logan Lucky has become a great pick-me-up.  Makes me laugh every time I watch it, and the characters are just so endearing.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Yes!  And Notting Hill is great everytime too! 

Logan Lucky has become a great pick-me-up.  Makes me laugh every time I watch it, and the characters are just so endearing.  

Never heard of Logan Lucky, but like some of the people in it. Will check it out. Thanks!

Yeah,  I didn't care for 4 Weddings and a Funeral. The language in it really bothered me. Tons of f words if I remember. ( But I know that doesn't bother other people.) I think I saw Notting Hill but found it forgettable. Don't really remember much about that one. 

17 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Yeah, I love Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks, but I found both Sleepless in Seattle and You've Got Mail really boring.  If I remember correctly, I fell asleep during You've Got Mail.

So now I have to ask, ( No judgement!!!) what is it about this movie that makes it a comfort one for you? Special memory?  

Well, we cannot be friends anymore!   😆 I'm kidding.  I don't know what it is about it.  It's very low-key, not loud and dramatic.  It's calming, I guess.  And I always cry at the end.  I rarely cry, but for whatever reason I always cry happy tears.    

I read something the other day that basically said we are comforted by movies (or shows) that we watch a lot, because we already know what's going to happen, there's no real suspense.    That resonated with me, because I ***ALWAYS***  turn on Frasier when I'm stressed.  I mean, always.   Anyway, that made so much sense for me!  I already know the jokes, the miscommunications between characters, the arguments, etc and I am not on the edge of my seat wanting to see what happens next.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

Well, we cannot be friends anymore!   😆 I'm kidding.  I don't know what it is about it.  It's very low-key, not loud and dramatic.  It's calming, I guess.  And I always cry at the end.  I rarely cry, but for whatever reason I always cry happy tears.    

I read something the other day that basically said we are comforted by movies (or shows) that we watch a lot, because we already know what's going to happen, there's no real suspense.    That resonated with me, because I ***ALWAYS***  turn on Frasier when I'm stressed.  I mean, always.   Anyway, that made so much sense for me!  I already know the jokes, the miscommunications between characters, the arguments, etc and I am not on the edge of my seat wanting to see what happens next.  

LOL.  I am glad you have a movie you like. Promise. No judgement here at all.

Yes, that is exactly right. But also why some movies I cannot watch for a 2nd time... I cannot stand the frustration of them making the wrong choices. ( For sad movies.)  My husband loves Saving Private Ryan, but I only watched it in the movie theater. We own it and he has watched it so many  times without me. That movie was depressing. It was well made, but I never need to see it ever again.  

• Like 1

If I need a pick-me-up kind of movie, I like to go with Ugly Duckling stories -- The Princess Diaries and Sabrina (with Julia Ormond) are two of my favorites.

Other favorite movies: Dave, Emma (with Gwyneth Paltrow), Pride and Prejudice (with Keira Knightley), It Could Happen to You, Mission Impossible.

• Like 1