Menu

Tipping at places like Subway/ ice cream parlor/ Chipotle

Terabith

I've noticed recently that a lot of places that I think of as fast casual, where you don't have wait staff bringing food/ drinks, are requesting tips when you pay by credit card.  In places I've been in the last six weeks or so, Subway, Chipotle, and the ice cream stand all had it.  I tend to give a 15% or 18% tip when asked at places like that, whereas at sit down restaurants, I always do at least 20%.  

But it got me thinking:  are the sandwich makers at Subway or the people who scoop ice cream paid regular minimum wage, or are they getting the pitiful $2?  Because if that's the case, I should be tipping at least 20% there, too.  

Anyone have any idea?  What is the right thing to do?

I've recently noticed this too.  Unless something has changed, they all get minimum wage or slightly above.  When I worked at a regional ice cream and burger place during college, all of the staff were paid at least $1 above minimum wage.  I don't like the shift to tip everyone all the time.  In the middle of 2020 when everyone was locked down, yes.  Now, not so much.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
I can't English.
  • Like 4

I find it annoying. Do you tip the grocery store check-out person? If I received absolutely stellar service or had a complicated order, or think the people are just the greatest ever then yeah, I might tip, but otherwise I do not. This practice leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  (FYI I tip extraordinarily well at restaurants - it isn’t that I am opposed to tipping.)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My day works at a (chain) ice cream place and they get tips somewhat regularly but make above minimum wage.  She finds the tips are usually either the "keep the change" type that net her a quarter or fifty cents on a given order, or they are given by people who had large, complicated orders and they are given in thanks for keeping track and dealing with all of it.  More like tipping your barista at the coffee shop for making your fancy latte.  It's definitely not an expectation by the employees to be tipped - more like a nice little "extra" if it happens. 

• Like 1

My kids all worked at a small locally owned ice cream store and were paid minimum wage.  When they became managers (opening and closing the store as well as training new employees) they made a few dollars more/hour.  When this place was 'cash only' they got A LOT in tips.  Some customers would buy an ice cream for $2.80, give them a $5, and tell them to keep the change.  They would easily bring home $50+ in tips for an 8 hour shift in the summer.   They no longer work there, but I've heard that since the store started taking credit cards, the employees don't make as much in tips.    

Personally, I tip at small, non-chain places, but not places like Chipotle or Subway.

• Like 1

I will preface this by saying I live in a state that everyone makes at least minimum wage and think that should be a federal law.

I refuse to tip at locations that I do everything except prepare the food. I refuse to make the tipping situation worse, by letting store owners think they can pay less wages and the employee can make it up in tips. Pay the employees a fair wage, make the food at a fair cost and I will frequent your business. 

BYW...I see tip jars on the counter with little signs on them like "tip here if you had great service today!" as begging. I know they are not intended that way. don't chastise me. But that is how they feel to me.

I hate the American tipping culture!!!! and will not encourage it at more businesses that it is already expected.

• Like 6