Menu

Ripped jeans after 45 years old?

crazyforlatin

3 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

TRUTH!! And catch the price tag on those suckers?!

• Like 1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Levi’s thankfully has plenty of jeans models to pick from. (ETA: I am short and wears boys jeans sometimes because they are short enough. Even the boys jeans taper slightly)

40 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

TRUTH!! And catch the price tag on those suckers?!

Levi’s Outlet store is very popular for that reason.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I would look so awful in those jeans. I think that was true like 30 years ago too when I last saw them 

I mean you could roll the cuffs though. 😏

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Ugh. I don't like those at all. I didn't personally like many of the ones posted in links as coming fashion.  

It has never made sense to me that fashion is all about trends and it doesn't matter if those trends are flattering.

I am probably going to look for some non-skinny jeans when I get jeans next for a change of pace. I like a boyfriend cut if it fits right. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, marbel said:

I also have the vein problem. Nothing is really bulging yet, but there are some major purple blotches. One on the back of my calf really annoys me even though I can't see it -  I recognize that as an above-middle-aged woman I am largely invisible in the world, but I still feel like that big mass of purple vein looks like a target for the eye. I've thought - frivolously - of getting a tattoo there to make it into something. LOL I would never spend the $$ on a tattoo!  Anyway, everything I wear goes below mid-calf (but not maxi) 

It's kind of silly really - we shouldn't hide ourselves due to the natural processes of aging. I've embraced my white hair (gave up dying my hair for Covid) - why can't I embrace my veins too?

Of course, I also remember way back when midi-length skirts came (back) in - 80's? - and how elegant I felt the first time I put one on. I still have a love of flowy longer skirts. Not maxis. Slightly below the knee to tea length. So there is that. 

I have had work done for my veins twice. The first time, I was only early twenties, so, for me, it’s not really a “sign of aging.” It’s a hereditary curse. I started getting spider veins at 15. 

I have been thinking about going back for some additional work this year. I would have to find a vein doctor who is willing to just work on select parts, though, which is harder to find. The last time I had a procedure done, the vein clinic had a method where they would start at my abdomen and move downward slowly. Well, that’s not going to happen. Nobody’s poking needles in my hips and girl parts for that purpose. Not to mention I would run out of both money and tolerance long before we ever got to a part of my body seen by others. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Quill said:

I have had work done for my veins twice. The first time, I was only early twenties, so, for me, it’s not really a “sign of aging.” It’s a hereditary curse. I started getting spider veins at 15. 

I started getting them in my teens too.  I assume I got them from my grandmother, who also had terrible varicose veins.  I'd love to have work done but can't justify the cost.  Mine got worse with each pregnancy as well.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

I started getting them in my teens too.  I assume I got them from my grandmother, who also had terrible varicose veins.  I'd love to have work done but can't justify the cost.  Mine got worse with each pregnancy as well.  

Another who started getting them from the teen years. One particularly large one stopped me from ever wearing shorts or skirts by the time I went to college at the ripe old age of 17. Every pregnancy made them worse and at times ache. Spider veins took a little longer to show up. 

Maybe since I don't wear make up, cut my own hair, and wear my clothes often for over a decade I should be allowed to say my vanity budget has extra savings and I should be able to get at least those biggest ones cared for?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, frogger said:

Another who started getting them from the teen years. One particularly large one stopped me from ever wearing shorts or skirts by the time I went to college at the ripe old age of 17. Every pregnancy made them worse and at times ache. Spider veins took a little longer to show up. 

Maybe since I don't wear make up, cut my own hair, and wear my clothes often for over a decade I should be allowed to say my vanity budget has extra savings and I should be able to get at least those biggest ones cared for?

We are very much alike - I was self-conscious of my legs at such a young age due to the veins.

And I only wear make-up (only drugstore type) a few times a year, never get my hair cut, and wear inexpensive clothes.  But I've had huge medical bills in the past few years and would feel guilty having the varicose veins done just for vanity.

But if you can do it, I think you should absolutely go for it! 

• Like 1

Just now, Kassia said:

We are very much alike - I was self-conscious of my legs at such a young age due to the veins.

And I only wear make-up (only drugstore type) a few times a year, never get my hair cut, and wear inexpensive clothes.  But I've had huge medical bills in the past few years and would feel guilty having the varicose veins done just for vanity.

But if you can do it, I think you should absolutely go for it! 

Well, first I need to help all the kids through college. 😂 

I also want my husband to be able to take a less stressful job. 

Maybe someday but you know what they say about someday. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2021 at 6:00 PM, crazyforlatin said:

I have a pair of jeans with holes on both knees (made that way), high waisted, soft and comfortable, but I’m not a spring chicken, and I have a teen daughter who could wear this but is “so over the ripped look.” 

I'm not the type to wear whatever makes me feel happy. I prefer to look modern but not give off wanna be teen look vibe. 

So would you wear ripped jeans? And how would you style it?

I think the conversation has veered from your original question, and I am late to the party, but I absolutely believe that you should wear what you like and you feel good in.   Yes, I would happily wear jeans with holes in the knees.  Personally I would wear them with a tee shirt and sneakers.   As for how it appears to others, well I can't control that, and I wouldn't worry about it.   So please get and wear your jeans proudly!

Edited by Ditto
  • Like 2