Menu

February Well-Trained Bodies

Laura Corin

10 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Thank you - I realised that I had good candidates for inner socks: the light mohair ones that I wear on their own in spring and summer.  I layered my Smartwools, which are looser, over the top.  My insulated boots are roomy enough to cope.  I just took a short walk, but my feet felt pretty good.

I had planned to run today, but it's really cold.  I'm working on an essay today instead, and I'll try to run tomorrow, when it's meant to be about 5 degrees C warmer.

Glad to hear it. It stinks to have cold feet.

Workout done here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Thank you - I realised that I had good candidates for inner socks: the light mohair ones that I wear on their own in spring and summer.  I layered my Smartwools, which are looser, over the top.  My insulated boots are roomy enough to cope.  I just took a short walk, but my feet felt pretty good.

I had planned to run today, but it's really cold.  I'm working on an essay today instead, and I'll try to run tomorrow, when it's meant to be about 5 degrees C warmer.

When it's really cold, I wear my son's wool army socks (from cadets) as they go up high on the shins. There are even 2 lengths; long and super long. They are pretty thick, so I can't wear them if they'd make the boots too squished.  And it had better be COLD when I break out these socks as they are extremely warm and I've sweated out in the legs. 😆

I think most women's socks are too short (for me). If you have small feet and shorter legs it's probably not an issue.  I have big feet and very long legs, so men's socks are better.

Thanks for sharing the lovely photos!! 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I went for a long walk last night in very cold conditions. I actually wore a balaclava. One dog I passed by was a little freaked out. 😂 

Now I'm heading for a skate ski in the woods. It's 0 F (-18C), so I'll be wearing the thick, wool army socks for sure. 😉 

It is 12F/-13C here, funny how 12 degree F is only a difference of 5 degree C. It is supposed to be cooling down more by Monday but then back up to a nice toasty 20-30F/-1/-6 from Wednesday on, although with more snow. The last several years we've not had much snow at all, maybe once that lasted a couple of days if that. Now we've already had 2 or 3 snows and another expected Sunday and Wednesday with temps much colder than usual.

I have a balaclavas for all of us too and snowbibs. Even if it isn't super cold I'll throw on the snowbibs because it is quicker than a bunch of layers but if it is really cold then it is layers and snowbibs balaclava, scarves, coats, gloves, and multiple socks.

Of course, really cold is relevant- I'm sure our really cold is not all that cold elsewhere. Temp is only part of it too, right now we have winds from the north, and no sun. Windchill puts us at -7/-22 right now.

• Like 3

Day 74/80 done, only one week of 80 Day obsession to go!  Earlier I took a nice long walk with the dogs, and even ran in the places it wasn't icy.  Will try to get some yoga in tonight, I haven't been getting it in lately.  

ETA: Did day 17 of Yoga with Adriene

Edited by FarmingMomma
  • Like 3

Lovely walk up the valley with my son.  It's a bit slushy but fine under foot.  Our dog ran in so many circles and is now crashed out by a radiator.  The rest of the day was essay writing, so I'll do some bedtime yoga. 

The temps are meant to be well above freezing this week, so I'm looking forward to running.

• Like 4

Took a walk yesterday with a friend, and we met 2 ladies cross-country skiing who stopped and chatted with us (they liked the dog). I tried downhill skiing years ago and was terrified by it, but - yesterday those ladies got me and my friend thinking! We're going to try to schedule a rent-try-on-take-lesson day soon-ish and maybe try to learn how to cross country?

Long walk today, too, though it was likely mostly offset by poor food choices at large-family lunch gathering. Sigh. 

Fresh day tomorrow. Good clear air in the lungs.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Took a walk yesterday with a friend, and we met 2 ladies cross-country skiing who stopped and chatted with us (they liked the dog). I tried downhill skiing years ago and was terrified by it, but - yesterday those ladies got me and my friend thinking! We're going to try to schedule a rent-try-on-take-lesson day soon-ish and maybe try to learn how to cross country?

Long walk today, too, though it was likely mostly offset by poor food choices at large-family lunch gathering. Sigh. 

You should definitely try cross-country skiing! I went downhill skiing as a teenager and it was horrible and terrifying :laugh: But since we've moved to Canada I've taken up cross-country skiing and I love it!

• Like 6

This week's check-in isn't much different from last week's. Although not quite as badly as last week, I'm still behind on both walking challenges. I'm having trouble scrounging up energy to focus on eating more healthfully in the face of scheduling stuff (house hunting, preparing to host our daughter for a few weeks, continuing physical therapy and other medical appointments, etc.). My weight hasn't budged. 

I did meet my daily step goal for two weeks in a row and, therefore, increase the minimum by another 1,000 per day.

• Like 4

Walk outside yesterday.

Plan to do a bit of sledding with the kids today and an am workout. Not sure what yet.

I hadn't weighed in 2 weeks and showed up 4 lbs today, eek. I've been eating too much I know, Working on it. I know I've been saying that, it has actually improved. 

b: pumpkin super hero muffins or pumpkin protein pancakes- i think

l: leftover chicken coconut curry soup w/ rice and veggies

d: marinara meat sauce w/ veggies; salad

s: vday chocolate for sure :); fruit and greek yogurt

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Definitely try skiing!! If you are renting and going to ski on groomed trails, I'd recommend asking for shorter skis. They are much easier to manoeuver and lighter. If you can get waxless skis (with skins, if you are super lucky) that's also easier than trying to wax and prep the skis yourself. 

• Like 3

The last time ds and I went skating, we also had a chance to play some rustic curling. Some generous soul had made 8 curling rocks for all to use (4 red handles and 4 blue handles). This has to be one of the most "Canadian" gestures I've experienced yet in this pandemic. All the indoor curling rinks are closed due to Covid, but that doesn't stop us making our own and playing outdoors, 😄

Screenshot_20210215-113914_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Hallo !

We have 1.5 inches of snow just about, but -14 degrees. I have winter clothes, but I am not going out. 

My little girl though, could live outside all day long. 

I am eating all the soup, drinking all the tea, making all the bread and eating it because I am cold. 😊

Not working out till the snow goes away. I shall have a side of warm bread with my whine than you !

@wintermom I like seeing your snow pictures, not living it !

Also that saying about no cold weather, only wrong clothes has not met me. 

So that is the whiny, grumbling, ranting update from me.

Have a good one and if you are a winter person, you are a rockstar to me! 

You could collect some snow in a pan and make some taffy cooled on the snow. It's yummy! We do this with maple syrup. There's nothing more delicious to eat than some fresh snow.  Sort of a take-off on the lemons/lemonade idea. 😉

• Like 2

Running today: the temperature has come up about 10 degrees C in the past three days and the snow has melted.  The beach was positively balmy.  Ran about 1.5 miles very slowly.  I'll do some yoga after I finish hoovering.

I forgot to say that a few days ago I saw one of my neighbours skating on a frozen flooded field.  She said she hadn't been able to do that in 25 years.

Stay warm @Dreamergal.  I know you chose to live there for the warmth...

• Like 4

I'm thinking our area of the country is the only part not frozen over right now. High 40's and rain is the forecast for the rest of February. I'm sure it's off and on rain, not constant, but the weather report still shows a rain cloud for every day except for this Wednesday.

Did 30 min on the treadmill this morning. No school for President's Day, but I've got enough little chores and things to keep me busy. We had too much to eat this weekend with both my birthday and Valentine's day (and too many brownies still in the freezer), but Lent begins Wednesday along with our annual sweets fast. That always helps to reset my system. But I'm going to allow the mochas to continue...just no cookies, brownies, cake, candy, ice cream, etc.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Texans version of lemons/lemonade is BBQ. So lots of grills being fired up. You are going to laugh at me now, but we have declared an emergency in our state. We do not have the infrastructure to handle the snow at all. 

We made snow ice cream. DH got up early yesterday to collect snow to have clean snow. 

DD made snow angels, more like concrete/grass angels because there is hardly any snow. But she did get her prayed for snow in her own backyard, not enough to make a snow rat let alone a snowman. But it is cold, she is bundled up and there is white stuff that fell from the heavens. 

Texas BBQ sounds delicious! Enjoy!

I wouldn't laugh at Texas declaring a state of emergency. Many Canadians did laugh when Toronto did this. They called in the Armed Forces for help. They will never live it down. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

We have less than 2 inches of snow though. 😂. In my neighborhood and it has stopped snowing since yesterday but still cold and to quote Elsa 'not a footprint to be seen'. Not dog or man as pets and people huddle inside. We walk in 100 degree weather.

Our wind turbines have frozen and we have rolling blackouts. We are fine in 100 degree weather with all the ACs running full tilt.  

It's very telling that the snow didn't melt right away. That shows you just how cold things are for you. I'm looking in my own and neighbour's backyard and there's not a lot of footprint to be seen in either. I shovel a little track for my poodle because he's a wimp, but otherwise it's not used by kids in months. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, wintermom said:

We're supposed to get up to 25cm/10in of snow today, which will be awesome for skiing! I'm going for a couple walks today to give my body a rest from skiing. It's only -8C, and no wind, so it should be pleasant.

Well, we probably got about that much here (last I measured we were 5-6 in and had several more hours of snowfall after that) but it is all powdery, no snowmen to be made or sledding to be had. 

16 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

We have less than 2 inches of snow though. 😂. In my neighborhood and it has stopped snowing since yesterday but still cold and to quote Elsa 'not a footprint to be seen'. Not dog or man as pets and people huddle inside. We walk in 100 degree weather.

Our wind turbines have frozen and we have rolling blackouts. We are fine in 100 degree weather with all the ACs running full tilt.  

I can't imagine, I read a headline that it is colder in TX than in Alaska right now, it's crazy.

Our power company has said people need to conserve energy. We turned down our heat again. There are blackouts north of our state but not where we are yet. Dh had to take a hair dryer to thaw our outside unit last week as the sleet froze it up. We've got sleet coming again Wed and Thurs. The snow plow hasn't even made it down our road, I'm sure they are staying busy.

No morning workout yesterday, everyone was home and I didn't get time to myself. I did walk outside, even up the big hill, which was very difficult in the deep snow. Even without snow it is difficult to climb but with it we had to stop every few feet and hang on some trees and kept sliding back down.

Planning some time outside and a workout this morning (hopefully before everyone awakes)

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Soror said:

Well, we probably got about that much here (last I measured we were 5-6 in and had several more hours of snowfall after that) but it is all powdery, no snowmen to be made or sledding to be had. 

Our snow is light and fluffy, too. I love it as it's easy to shovel. The wet heavy stuff that's good for making snowmen is not as fun to shovel. 😉

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Our snow is light and fluffy, too. I love it as it's easy to shovel. The wet heavy stuff that's good for making snowmen is not as fun to shovel. 😉

Well, that is true! I'll be going out in a bit to shovel here as the snow plow has came through and there is a big hump at the end of the driveway.

The sun is actually out here, I thought we were going to have yet ANOTHER cloudy day. It should be much nicer without the snow pelting us and the snow shining. I'm so excited for a sunny day, it has been ages.

It has been a week now without melatonin and I'm still sleeping AND it is the second half of my cycle when I'm much more likely to have trouble sleeping. My energy has def. improved and I restarted iron to help even more (I have to time it around the thyroid meds and got out of the habit again). I probably needed to up my meds ages ago but with the med change cutting it down it was enough to put me over the edge.

Workout done.  Core focused strength. I did A Little Obsessed on BB after @FarmingMomma 's continued talk of 80 Day Obsession. I liked the workout and the trainer. This is just a 5 day prequel to 80 day obsession. I wanted to see how I liked it, we'll see if I want to commit to the full deal after this week.

Eating is continuing to slowly improve. 

• Like 4

I had a nsv (no scale victory) today.  I dug out my llbean fleece lined jeans I've had for 25+ years and they were actually loose.  (They were very high waisted original mom jeans...lol) but when its cold I don't care if my jeans are dated.  They fit and are warm.🌨😁

• Like 5

14 hours ago, wintermom said:

I went snowshoeing and did some adventurous off-trail trekking in deep snow up to my knees. That'll raise the HR! It was pretty fun. I figure there's no sense walking where people have already made a trail. 😉 

I bet it did.

I'm stiff today from all the snow shoveling but my shoulder isn't hurting (so far), I'm hoping I didn't overdo it.

I had a pretty big breakfast and lunch but also did quite a lot of work outside.

Working out today, strength work I think.

b: pumpkin muffins and pancakes today w/ blueberries

l: leftover soup

d: chicken shwarma, sweet pot, and green beans

s:?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I bet it did.

I'm stiff today from all the snow shoveling but my shoulder isn't hurting (so far), I'm hoping I didn't overdo it.

My lower back is sore from shoveling. The pile of snow that the plow leaves is so heavy and dense to move. Glad your shoulder is alright, and hope your shoveling days are over. 😉

Did a walking workout this morning. It's Ash Wednesday--first day of Lent. My family had a tradition of giving up something for Lent when I was growing up--not a religious requirement, but it's a season of thinking about sacrifice so it still feels appropriate to me. I typically go off sweets for Lent and my youngest has joined me the last couple of years. Now you know that Sundays are not part of the 40 days of Lent, so technically it can be a cheat day, but I try not to do that much. After a few weeks my desire for sugar goes away; it's a nice yearly reset for my body.

• Like 4

Day 77/80: Leg day.  Almost done!

I gave up Facebook and Instagram for Lent, and will probably post a lot less on here as well.  I may just do a weekly check-in for now.

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'm going skiing this afternoon while the dc have soccer. They are so excited because their homeschool soccer and hockey activities are starting up again. They've been on pause since before Christmas due to the lockdown. 

Last time I tried skiing the snow was so dry and powdery that it did not go well.  We're supposed to get more snow later this week, so hopefully that will improve our skiing conditions! So glad your kids get to have activities.  We don't have any homeschool activities in our area. That's one of the few things I miss from living in Nebraska, we had a homeschool co-op, homeschool teen sports nights, soccer, and a very active and vibrant 4-H community.  The only activity my kids have since we've moved to Canada is 4-H, and we have to drive nearly 3 hours one way to go to the 4-H activities.  Since Covid started BC 4-H has cancelled pretty much every activity :sad: 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, FarmingMomma said:

Day 77/80: Leg day.  Almost done!

I gave up Facebook and Instagram for Lent, and will probably post a lot less on here as well.  I may just do a weekly check-in for now.

Last time I tried skiing the snow was so dry and powdery that it did not go well.  We're supposed to get more snow later this week, so hopefully that will improve our skiing conditions! So glad your kids get to have activities.  We don't have any homeschool activities in our area. That's one of the few things I miss from living in Nebraska, we had a homeschool co-op, homeschool teen sports nights, soccer, and a very active and vibrant 4-H community.  The only activity my kids have since we've moved to Canada is 4-H, and we have to drive nearly 3 hours one way to go to the 4-H activities.  Since Covid started BC 4-H has cancelled pretty much every activity :sad: 

Great job with your 80 day obsession! The time sure flies. Hope you've enjoyed it the second time through.

I like the powdery snow for skate skiing as you get a nice glide, but for classic it can be a challenge to get the 'push' conditions just right.  Sorry you don't have more homeschool activities in your area. Would you say that it's probably a difference between urban and rural, as BC is pretty generous to homeschoolers otherwise. We get no funding and little support in Ontario, and it's really hit or miss with university and college application processes for homeschoolers.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Sorry you don't have more homeschool activities in your area. Would you say that it's probably a difference between urban and rural, as BC is pretty generous to homeschoolers otherwise. We get no funding and little support in Ontario, and it's really hit or miss with university and college application processes for homeschoolers.

Yes, I've heard there are plenty of activities in the more urban areas.  Where we lived in Nebraska was very rural but there were quite a few homeschoolers.  There don't seem to be very many in our valley here, and they are mostly little kids, mine are 18 and 14.

• Like 2

I am popping in with an update and a question. I am usually getting 4 or 5 official exercise sessions in a week. I'd love to make that 6, but it just doesn't seem to happen during this phase of my life. And I need to make peace with that. My diastatis recti has definitely improved. There is still a slight gap (a little under one finger), and it doesn't go through as many layers of muscle. So I am happy with improvement there. 

I am also working on tricep strength. While I can feel improvement there, I can't see it yet. But hopefully someday...

Now I'm hoping some of you have ideas for preventing leg cramps. On the nights of days I don't exercise, I have been waking up with leg cramps a couple times a night. In and of itself, that's no fun. Add in that I'm already up once or twice a night with baby and it's worse. Now throw in insomnia of the type that makes it really hard to get back to sleep, and I am desperate. 

I drink a lot of water. I stretch before bed. I wear supportive shoes, I take magnesium. What else can I try? I know some say to avoid heavy or tucked in bedding, but the thought of giving up my weighted blanket makes me want to cry. 

If you have any tips or tricks, please share.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, barnwife said:

I am popping in with an update and a question. I am usually getting 4 or 5 official exercise sessions in a week. I'd love to make that 6, but it just doesn't seem to happen during this phase of my life. And I need to make peace with that. My diastatis recti has definitely improved. There is still a slight gap (a little under one finger), and it doesn't go through as many layers of muscle. So I am happy with improvement there. 

I am also working on tricep strength. While I can feel improvement there, I can't see it yet. But hopefully someday...

Now I'm hoping some of you have ideas for preventing leg cramps. On the nights of days I don't exercise, I have been waking up with leg cramps a couple times a night. In and of itself, that's no fun. Add in that I'm already up once or twice a night with baby and it's worse. Now throw in insomnia of the type that makes it really hard to get back to sleep, and I am desperate. 

I drink a lot of water. I stretch before bed. I wear supportive shoes, I take magnesium. What else can I try? I know some say to avoid heavy or tucked in bedding, but the thought of giving up my weighted blanket makes me want to cry. 

If you have any tips or tricks, please share.

I use to have bad leg cramps and my sister, who was training to be a physical therapy assistant at the time, told me to eat a banana and drink a glass of milk before bed.  Sounds hokey, but it worked for me.  Something about the magnesium and potassium in the banana working with the calcium in the milk.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, FarmingMomma said:

I use to have bad leg cramps and my sister, who was training to be a physical therapy assistant at the time, told me to eat a banana and drink a glass of milk before bed.  Sounds hokey, but it worked for me.  Something about the magnesium and potassium in the banana working with the calcium in the milk.

I guess I am off to research foods that are high in potassium. Bananas are firmly on my list of foods that shall not pass my lips. My mom couldn't even get me to eat them as a baby. If she mixed them into something, I'd spit the banana pieces out. If it was something like banana bread...out it'd come. And I still can't stand the smell. (My FOO claims they don't smell. They. Are. Wrong (imo anyway).Bananas have a very strong, very unappetizing smell.) But, there's got to be other foods I can substitute, right?

• Like 3

My Garmin is patronising me!  The last two runs, Garmin has said, 'Room to Grow'.  Because I had a gap in my 5K training due to injury and weather, I've been running really slowly.  Garmin is not impressed.  I have a shorter run scheduled for tomorrow (just one mile) to I'll pick up speed a bit.

Today: walk and yoga.  My chest/armpit strain seems to have resolved, so I'm going to try my first downward dog today.

• Like 4

I did a kickboxing workout this morning. And last night I made homemade applesauce for the first time in like 20 years and it was so good! Just 3 lbs of granny smiths and fujis, 1 cup water, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Cooked for 20 minutes then ran it through the potato ricer we got dd for Christmas. It was so warm and yummy--definitely need to repeat that.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

I did a kickboxing workout this morning. And last night I made homemade applesauce for the first time in like 20 years and it was so good! Just 3 lbs of granny smiths and fujis, 1 cup water, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Cooked for 20 minutes then ran it through the potato ricer we got dd for Christmas. It was so warm and yummy--definitely need to repeat that.

I have half a drawer full of bags of stewed apple in the freezer from last autumn. I have it for breakfast with porridge and yoghurt.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

I was so tired last night that I went to bed before 8pm and slept 12 hours. It was weird. Probably a combination of physical and mental fatigue. I'm going for a walk in the woods with a friend this afternoon. I may throw on snowshoes if the conditions are the same as yesterday. 

You must have needed the sleep.

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

My Garmin is patronising me!  The last two runs, Garmin has said, 'Room to Grow'.  Because I had a gap in my 5K training due to injury and weather, I've been running really slowly.  Garmin is not impressed.  I have a shorter run scheduled for tomorrow (just one mile) to I'll pick up speed a bit.

Today: walk and yoga.  My chest/armpit strain seems to have resolved, so I'm going to try my first downward dog today.

Hmph! Machines! At least you are moving. If I had one I'm sure I'd hear the same, I've never been very fast. Glad you are feeling better.

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

Mmm, I need to make some baked apples, that does sound delicious in this weather.

Strength work done. 

Woke up super early today (like a bit before 3), I might have spoke too soon about hormones not affecting my sleep this cycle, or it was for some other random reason. I guess we'll see in the days leading up to my period. 

Ate some junk food yesterday. Focusing on smaller more frequent meals today trying to curb junky snacking. I'll be glad to get back in a groove with my food, it has been 2 steps forward and 1 step back since the stomach issues and thyroid med increase.

• Like 4