Menu

February Well-Trained Bodies

Laura Corin

22 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Laura Corin Great job on your mile pace! Enjoy your sunshine.

@Soror Awesome you and the dc got your vaccines. It probably won't be until Aug before I'll have an opportunity to get mine. We're slow and we don't have enough vaccines in Canada. 

It's sunny and looks gorgeous outside. I'm going to try to build in more daylight outdoor time into my days. Theoretically it should be possible, I just have to make it happen. I'll be walking with friends this afternoon, which will be really nice. 

We just got some because there were extras at a mass vaccine site so they opened it up to everyone so they wouldn't go to waste.

I feel fabulous. Slept well. Sleep has been markedly better since med change, some bad days but nothing like before and I've been off of melatonin for a couple of weeks now. Sleep makes such a huge difference. Food is fine, in a bit of a groove I daresay.

I switched to 80 Day Obsession last Thursday, jumped in on Day 4 after trying the prequel program and am continuing on with it. So far so good. I like that it is a lot of strength work, I thought it was more cardio so that is a nice surprise. I had some soreness last week but it hasn't been bad this week. I might go ahead and stick with it the full 80 days even after time change.

• Like 4

I ended up skiing with my friends while they walked. It was really nice. I'm walking with friends this afternoon. It's sunny outside again, which is always a bonus!

I drove downtown to pick up book from my university library (for my course), and I also popped by my future office for my new job. It's in a really beautiful old building in a very nice part of the city. It's not surrounded by high-rises. Who knows when I'll actually have to go into the office, though. I'm more than happy to work from home and avoid taking public transport. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Soror said:

I feel fabulous. Slept well. Sleep has been markedly better since med change, some bad days but nothing like before and I've been off of melatonin for a couple of weeks now. Sleep makes such a huge difference. Food is fine, in a bit of a groove I daresay.

I switched to 80 Day Obsession last Thursday, jumped in on Day 4 after trying the prequel program and am continuing on with it. So far so good. I like that it is a lot of strength work, I thought it was more cardio so that is a nice surprise. I had some soreness last week but it hasn't been bad this week. I might go ahead and stick with it the full 80 days even after time change.

Glad you are feeling so good. Have you done 80 day obsession before?

I slept poorly but had another good run, a lot faster again - no hills this time. I have put together a yoga routine that includes all the stretches for runners that the Garmin coach recommends, so I  did that at lunchtime.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Glad you are feeling so good. Have you done 80 day obsession before?

I slept poorly but had another good run, a lot faster again - no hills this time. I have put together a yoga routine that includes all the stretches for runners that the Garmin coach recommends, so I  did that at lunchtime.  

No, I haven't. It is much easier to run faster when it is flat ground, good job!

I was a bit enthusiastic yesterday and really pushed myself with going heavier with weights and felt it at the end. I've not pushed myself like that in forever, it felt good, although I need to back it up just a bit. 

Today is a cardio day, never my favorite but it is a shorter workout (35ish minutes as opposed to an hour). 

Started my period food was fine until yesterday afternoon and I ate a bunch of cereal. I skipped dinner after that as I wasn't hungry. Just one bad meal and not days of it. Back at it today.

• Like 3

It's snowing and -7 C at the moment, so I'm going to head out for a ski. The temps are going up to +6 C for tomorrow, so all this lovely snow may start to turn into mush. I'm debating whether I should wait for the sunshine, though. 😉

Sunshine never came, but it finally stopped snowing and I got a nice ski done in the woods. It's ds's 17th birthday today, and tomorrow is my 'baby' ds's 15th b-day. Where did the years go? 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

Did day 28 of 30 days of yoga this morning--just 2 more and I will have done them all.

I have come to the sad conclusion that I need to start tracking my food again. Didn't need to do that the whole end of 2020 as anxiety kept my appetite (and weight) down. But I gained 3 pounds over winter break and never really lost it. I was hoping just going off sweets during Lent would do the trick, but I'm obviously just taking in too many calories. Lots of stress eating I think. So I've entered today's food into My Fitness Pal and it's pretty close to hitting my fiber, protein, and saturated fat goals. And I think it's a lot less food than I've been eating. Sigh.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Did day 28 of 30 days of yoga this morning--just 2 more and I will have done them all.

I have come to the sad conclusion that I need to start tracking my food again. Didn't need to do that the whole end of 2020 as anxiety kept my appetite (and weight) down. But I gained 3 pounds over winter break and never really lost it. I was hoping just going off sweets during Lent would do the trick, but I'm obviously just taking in too many calories. Lots of stress eating I think. So I've entered today's food into My Fitness Pal and it's pretty close to hitting my fiber, protein, and saturated fat goals. And I think it's a lot less food than I've been eating. Sigh.

I put on a few pounds too and have been watching macros and portions. My scale is not working now so I'm not sure if I've made any movement yet but I'm keeping on.

15 min kickboxing/15 min stretching today Day 14 80DO

• Like 2

Confession time: I've been kind of avoiding this thread for a couple of weeks, because I didn't feel like I could muster enough positive energy to not be a downer. But I figured I'd do an end-of-month check-in, at least.

I've completely fallen off the wagon in terms of logging food. It's just more than I seem to be able to do consistently at the moment. Instead, I'm trying to focus on drinking lots of water, choosing/eating fruits and vegetables first at each meal and not eating when I'm not hungry. I'm having mixed success with all three of those strategies, but it's what I can manage right now.

I've also had to pare down my goals for daily exercise. Juggling full-time work with a never-ending series of medical appointments and house hunting and just dealing with my current emotional dip leaves only so much time and energy for exercise. I have managed at least five miles of intentional walking (not counting steps logged just doing chores or whatever) and logging at least my 12,500 daily minimum steps almost every day. (I think I missed one day a couple of weeks ago when I was feeling particularly blah.) I have also done my at-home PT exercises five days a week (on the days I don't have in-person appointments) again all but one day. 

That's it, though. No stationary biking. No additional cardio. No arm work beyond the PT stuff. 

Good news:

• This morning, I logged the last 1.5 miles I needed to complete one of the two walking challenges, leaving me with a manageable number to walk for the other challenge over the next two weeks.
  • I'm not counting on it sticking, but my scale says I have lost a little over two pounds in the last three weeks.
  • Like 2

Closing out the month with a healthy eating & exercise day, but Feb was a +1 on the scale overall. That's discouraging to me, but I'm gathering my "oomph" to re-organize for March. Have lost 20 lbs so far, and have 14 left until goal. One by one, I will keep losing them. DH taps maple trees each year as our first sign of spring, and - all the taps are in! Daylight is slowly returning!

Friend coming over tonight who will help me meal plan over decaf coffee while the teens connect; treasuring the little things. 

New dog proving to be an excellent walking companion; that's the takeaway from Feb for sure.

• Like 2

Rest day here, but I finished the first week of 9 week control freak yesterday.  So far so good.  They're much shorter workouts than 80 day obsession, but they are intense so hopefully I keep making progress.  The shorter workouts are good, though, because we should start calving within the next week or so and I won't have time for super long workouts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FarmingMomma said:

Rest day here, but I finished the first week of 9 week control freak yesterday.  So far so good.  They're much shorter workouts than 80 day obsession, but they are intense so hopefully I keep making progress.  The shorter workouts are good, though, because we should start calving within the next week or so and I won't have time for super long workouts.

Are these paid video subscriptions? That you do in your own house? (I'm curious & looking to possibly expand workout options. Obtained cross country ski boots but no actual skis yet, haha.)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Are these paid video subscriptions? That you do in your own house? (I'm curious & looking to possibly expand workout options. Obtained cross country ski boots but no actual skis yet, haha.)

Yes, it's a yearly subscription that we do at home.  I think it's around $80-$100 a year, I don't remember exactly.  It's worth it for us because we live out on a ranch, so we'd never drive into town to go to a gym.  Also, there's a ton of variety, and they're always adding new programs, so I don't get bored. We get a lot of use out of it because I use it and both my kids (18 and 14) also use it.

Glad you found some boots, good luck with skis! I think my ski season is coming to an end, our snow has been awfully soft, and once we start calving skiing will be the last thing on my mind :laugh: