Menu

February Well-Trained Bodies

Laura Corin

47 minutes ago, Soror said:

You must have needed the sleep.

Hmph! Machines! At least you are moving. If I had one I'm sure I'd hear the same, I've never been very fast. Glad you are feeling better.

Mmm, I need to make some baked apples, that does sound delicious in this weather.

Ooh...baked apples! I haven't made them in forever. And a bonus is that my kids will love them and think they are a fabulous treat. Plus, they can do most of the work themselves. I think I will add them to our poetry breakfast this weekend. 

Thanks for the idea!

• Like 3

Super horrible week food / nutrition-wise for me (since Sunday), and finally this morning I pulled out my tools & journaled some strategies to get back to sanity / common sense health goals. Sigh. February. Today was Day 1 of "back on track."

Long walk today (benefits my SOUL first and body second). 

Have been researching how to get started cross-country skiing, and hitting dead ends b/c of covid. Ideally, I'd go to a place that rents different equipment, try on a few different ones for fit / comfort, and then buy my own, right? But I can't do that right now, so my options *seem to be either wait until next winter (but we're getting 10" more snow tonight! and I really want to try! even if the equipment isn't ideal!), OR just buy a set used that I think is close to the right size / style, and work from there? Secondhand gear shops are all sold out, and I'm only seeing occasional posts on my online "used' sites, so - perhaps skis, too, are a "victim" of everybody-is-outside-now-due-to-covid. I'll be patient, I guess. Do you skiers here have any advice? 

• Like 3

Day 78/80: total body core.  Almost done!

1 hour ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Have been researching how to get started cross-country skiing, and hitting dead ends b/c of covid. Ideally, I'd go to a place that rents different equipment, try on a few different ones for fit / comfort, and then buy my own, right? But I can't do that right now, so my options *seem to be either wait until next winter (but we're getting 10" more snow tonight! and I really want to try! even if the equipment isn't ideal!), OR just buy a set used that I think is close to the right size / style, and work from there? Secondhand gear shops are all sold out, and I'm only seeing occasional posts on my online "used' sites, so - perhaps skis, too, are a "victim" of everybody-is-outside-now-due-to-covid. I'll be patient, I guess. Do you skiers here have any advice? 

We looked up online what length of skis we needed for our height/weight, and then watched our local facebook group sale ads for skis in the right size range.  Same for the boots.  If you buy the boots separately, make sure they are the right ones for the type of bindings on the skis.  There are three types, the old 3 pin style, SNS, and NNN.  That's about the extent of my knowledge, as I'm a self-taught newbie :)  I'm sure @wintermom can give you better info!

Edited by FarmingMomma
  • Like 5

Yesterday I got in some walking outside, a bit of shoveling, and helped dh with the tractor.

Today I'll do strength work in the am and a walk sometime.

Still tweaking food. I can't stop eating, I've been trying to eat bigger meals so hopefully I could wait longer to eat again but that is not working as well as I like. At times I'll eat so much I feel icky and full but still want to eat anyway. Other times I make it just fine. Again 2 steps forward, 1 back. So, I'm going to try the opposite and plan to eat every 2-3 hrs with smaller servings- carb, fat, and protein each mini-meal. We'll see how it goes. I'm driving myself crazy. Seems it shouldn't be so hard but it has been all wonky and I can't get in the groove and stay there. I don't want to think about food that much.

1: small serving plain oatmeal + baked apple, cinnamon, nutbutter, greek yogurt

workout

2: protein shake w/ unsweet almond milk, protein powder, berries, and flax

3: corn tortilla +black beans; eggs, salsa- choc

4: chickpea pasta(high protein)+ veggies+ feta+  homemade vinaigrette

5; salmon; baked sweet pot w/ pecans; green beans

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

I would suspect that skiing equipment is in high demand due to covid and good skiing conditions. Plus it's already late in the season to get equipment. 

Do you have any friends you might be able to borrow equipment from to try out skiing? The problem with buying whatever you can get on-line is that the equipment could be really old and you may have a really bad experience simply because of poor equipment. I see people selling the old 3-pin bindings and low-cut boots from the 70s. You don't want those as there is no ankle support in the boots and the bindings are much less stable than newer styles. 

The tough part with a set of skis is that you need the boots to fit your feet as well as the bindings; you need the skis the right length for your body and have bindings that are compatible with your boots; and you need poles that are a decent length for your body. It's almost impossible to buy a complete set used privately that will check all three boxes. 

I also noticed that boot sizes are often European, which makes it confusing to figure out proper fit without trying them on first. 

Good luck in your search! Hope you get lucky.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

@Soror I've been having problems regulating my intake. I'm hoping it's just the cold weather and it will resolve itself.

If you are missing your normal amount of exercise, you might be lacking some happy hormones that reduce your need for fullness.

Mine has been wonky since December when the tummy and nausea stuff started. So, I don't know if it is a matter of being in the habit of eating more frequently due to tummy issues, increase in meds, or residual tummy issues causing the increased appetite. Who knows. Trying to keep improving.

I'm sure there has been some affect on the appetite with my exercise not being as intense as that always suppresses my appetite a bit. I started back to regular exercise 5 weeks ago and other than one crappy week I've averaged 5-6 days a week. I'm slowly increasing intensity but don't plan to go back quite as intense as I was, I think it was a bit too much. It is so hard to find the right balance in everything, then something happens and throws it off.

• Like 3

Did 30 min on the treadmill this morning.

It's been a hard mental-health week. I think everyone's cup is full during this pandemic, and there's not a lot of bandwidth for one-more-thing. I learned yesterday that a young colleague's husband was just diagnosed with a rare aggressive move-to-Stanford-med-center kind of cancer. Within the last 2 months we've also had another teacher's 2 year old diagnosed with leukemia (rough treatment but good prognosis) and a student's aggressive bone cancer come roaring back after treatment ended. Then a neighbor complaining on FB about one of her kid's teachers--someone I work with. Dh is also working from like 8am to 11pm, having had lots of work dumped on him. It's just one of those lows where things are a little harder to take right now.

Cross country skiing sounds like a great mental health therapy right now. But we don't actually get snow here to do that!

• Sad 4

6 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

Hi, joining in. Treadmill w/12 incline at 2 mph for 35 minutes, burned 300 calories. Heart rate stayed high in fat burning zone, good sweating.

Welcome, great job with the walking, you had that incline up there!

My legs are sore today. I'll be doing some cardio and I may or may not get in a walk today. I need to clean house.

I actually followed my meal plan yesterday. A few times I wanted to eat but knowing that I had planned to eat again fairly soon helped me wait.

Going for day 2: 

1: high protein pumpkin pancakes (cottage cheese, eggs, rolled oats, pumpkin mixed together)

workout

2: plain steel cut oats w/ baked apples, cinnamon, almond butter and greek yogurt

3: turkey meatballs; roasted sweet potatoes, green beans; chocolate

4: chickpea pasta salad w/ veggies and feta

5: bbq venison; baked cabbage and carrots

• Like 4

Saturday morning yoga with the dog and cat. I don't think I was up later than usual, but it was already getting light when I started, so I opened the blinds. No glorious sun streaming in the windows, but light was nice. I filled in Day 7 of 30 days of yoga, theme word synchronize. I have 4 left that I haven't done, day 25 and then the last 3 which are all longer and will have to be Saturday mornings. I may try to do day 25 Tuesday if I can get going early enough.

Saturday chores today, a little school work, and hopefully some downtime.

• Like 5

We had a poetry breakfast today, with an easy menu of skillet cranberry coffee cake and baked apples. It's such a nice way to start a weekend day. I am hoping to get some cardio in today.

We also need to do (a lot of) cleaning. My mom wants to come visit now that she's vaccinated. Our last visitor was her, after DS5 was born 5 months ago. I confess that we didn't have the house in tip-top shape then. The last time we cleaned really, really well for visitors was pre-pandemic. 

So it's definitely time to get to some cleaning things I have been letting slide (like cleaning under kids beds). Also, my kids say they need new sizes in clothes/shoes, so I need to investigate that.

Also, when I opened our front door to shake out a rug, I thought, "When did it get so hot here?" It was 10°F.

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend!

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Our wonderful TX sun is shining brightly and all the snow is melting.

I want to say thank you to @Laura Corin, @wintermom, @Soror and @Ali in OR. I was a wimp in winter who would hide away inside and not go outside only exercise inside. Consequently we had no proper winter clothes, but thanks to this thread and the encouragement with pictures and asking why I do not like it and giving me practical suggestions for clothes, I did cave in and buy some proper winter clothes. Thanks to all of you, my little girl played to her hearts content in the snow and I had no issues with was she cold or not. She had proper winter clothes, not just hoodies. 

Turns out a lot of Texans like me do not have winter clothes and often go out in shorts and hoodies. I may or may not be guilty of that. It is a combination of the blinding TX sun combined with the cold air that makes any sort of walking outside make me sweat. So I am always tying my hoodie at my waist before long as I am so hot. But we have proper winter clothes which let us go outside and stand in the cold and enjoy the scenery though we did not walk. 

I find hoodies too warm, too. It's nice a cozy for a while then suddenly I'm suffocating. 

Glad you have a wide variety of clothes so you and your family can enjoy the outdoors in all kinds of weather. You just never know what the weather will be like in North America. 😉 

• Like 2

Walk today. Rest day= stretch and foam rolling.

2 days following food plan.

1. pumpkin protein pancakes

2: steelcut oats w/ apples, greek yogurt, almond butter

3: salmon, roasted sweet potato, cabbage+ carrots, chocolate

4: fruit protein smoothie +popcorn

5: roast; potato; veg

• Like 3

Yesterday a took a three-mile walk and came home exhausted.  Mysterious.  It's been a tiring week, so maybe that's all. 

Anyway - took a day off studying today. It feels like the first day of spring,  but we may well get another cold spell. 11 degrees C and sunny. I did a quick yoga for runners, then ran on the beach. Another personal best mile time - still very slow, but satisfying to me.

Then an hour pruning apple trees with the long-handled pruners. I'm wondering if it was doing that, rather than fancy yoga, that caused my chest muscle strain before. It's certainly not easy. Only two more trees to do next week.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Yesterday a took a three-mile walk and came home exhausted.  Mysterious.  It's been a tiring week, so maybe that's all. 

Anyway - took a day off studying today. It feels like the first day of spring,  but we may well get another cold spell. 11 degrees C and sunny. I did a quick yoga for runners, then ran on the beach. Another personal best mile time - still very slow, but satisfying to me.

Then an hour pruning apple trees with the long-handled pruners. I'm wondering if it was doing that, rather than fancy yoga, that caused my chest muscle strain before. It's certainly not easy. Only two more trees to do next week.

I've been feeling really exhausted after my outdoor exercise, too. I don't know what's the cause. I'm going to take it easy today and cut back on the carbs that have gradually increased.

I'd guess the apple tree pruning could well be the reason behind your soreness. The pruning tool is probably quite heavy, and holding it up while clipping uses a ton of upper body muscles. 

Great job on your running PB!!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I've been feeling really exhausted after my outdoor exercise, too. I don't know what's the cause. I'm going to take it easy today and cut back on the carbs that have gradually increased.

I'd guess the apple tree pruning could well be the reason behind your soreness. The pruning tool is probably quite heavy, and holding it up while clipping uses a ton of upper body muscles. 

Great job on your running PB!!

My son offered to prune the last two trees, so we'll see if he complains  of chest soreness...

• Like 2

Keeping with  it.

I think I will be doing longer workouts until time changes in 3 weeks. Then I'll be working until 8 until 7 and switch to shorter workouts until we finish school, 6 weeks later. 

Keeping on with food and eating more frequently.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Soror said:

Keeping with  it.

I think I will be doing longer workouts until time changes in 3 weeks. Then I'll be working until 8 until 7 and switch to shorter workouts until we finish school, 6 weeks later. 

Keeping on with food and eating more frequently.

Great job keeping with it! Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the heads-up on the time change. I think at this point in time, any change is something positive to look forward to. 😉

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wintermom said:

It's overcast and lightly snowing. I don't feel like doing much of anything today. I may need an actual rest day and bounce back with more energy. I feel like I'm in a bit of a rut.

Probably a good idea.

I took a very gentle walk today and plan to do some stretchy yoga. That's it.

Glorious spring-like sunshine here.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

I did day 1 of 9 week control freak from Beachbody, and so far I like it!  Short but intense enough to get my heart rate up.

Tried to ski yesterday but it was warm and the snow was so soft that it didn't work, but I did get in a nice long walk with my son and the dogs and enjoyed the sunshine.  Also did some yoga, and I plan on getting some yoga and a walk in today as well.  There are also stretching videos included in 9WCF designed to do before bedtime, so I'll be doing those as well.  Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Probably a good idea.

I took a very gentle walk today and plan to do some stretchy yoga. That's it.

Glorious spring-like sunshine here.

We had sun yesterday and today as well, we are supposed to hit 62 today. I'm so excited. 

23 hours ago, wintermom said:

It's overcast and lightly snowing. I don't feel like doing much of anything today. I may need an actual rest day and bounce back with more energy. I feel like I'm in a bit of a rut.

Even wintermom needs a day of rest sometime!

19 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

I did day 1 of 9 week control freak from Beachbody, and so far I like it!  Short but intense enough to get my heart rate up.

Tried to ski yesterday but it was warm and the snow was so soft that it didn't work, but I did get in a nice long walk with my son and the dogs and enjoyed the sunshine.  Also did some yoga, and I plan on getting some yoga and a walk in today as well.  There are also stretching videos included in 9WCF designed to do before bedtime, so I'll be doing those as well.  Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Keep reviewing the workout program, I'll be interested to hear more about it.

Workout done yesterday along with working outside and a walk in the woods.

I will not be doing anymore walking until it dries out. It was a huge struggle making it through with all the mud and melting snow. I think all of the snow will be gone today except the drifts. I want to work in the yard but it is entirely to wet. I will be spending time outside enjoying the sun, even if it is just sitting on the deck. 

I woke in the night burning up, the house got up to 67 yesterday with it being sunny and I am used to sleeping in much cooler temps. I finally fell back asleep after kicking off most of the covers. In the summer 67 feels nice and cool but after getting used to 62 it is too hot.

Keeping with planned meals and portions.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

Yesterday was slow and sluggish in starting, but ended up being rather exciting.  I got an offer on a full-time research/evaluation job with the organization I interviewed with a few weeks ago!! I had pretty much assumed I didn't get it, and I was feeling a little down. Now I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to jump into a career in my field - and during a pandemic. It's been quite a journey to finally get to this point. ☺️

To celebrate, I went skating in the falling snow while my ds and his friend played hockey (which is allowed again!!). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Yesterday was slow and sluggish in starting, but ended up being rather exciting.  I got an offer on a full-time research/evaluation job with the organization I interviewed with a few weeks ago!! I had pretty much assumed I didn't get it, and I was feeling a little down. Now I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to jump into a career in my field - and during a pandemic. It's been quite a journey to finally get to this point. ☺️

To celebrate, I went skating in the falling snow while my ds and his friend played hockey (which is allowed again!!). 

Congratulations on the new job!

Workout done and Meal 1 and 2; plain steelcut oats; banana; pb& cocoa nibs; scrambled eggs turkey bacon, roasted potato, orange

Back to using Precision Nutrition's rec's for athletic performance as they have worked well for me, give me room for treats, and are easy to follow. I make a little list for the day with check boxes for fat, protein, carb, and veg.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

Guess I never checked in yesterday--I did 30 min on the treadmill and then sat at my desk all day.

Today I did my bodyweight circuit x2 then Day 25 of 30 days of yoga, theme word Love. So I've filled in all the ones I missed and just need to finish off the last 3.

We have a lovely morning here--enjoying the early light before we lose it at the time change.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Congratulations! It is wonderful to find a place back in the working world.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

Hooray!  Well done!

• Like 1

Thanks for the support, ladies! It's been a longish process (almost 3 years), starting with heading back to grad school for upgrading skills, lots of job applications, some part-time work, and lots of wondering whether this would ever go anywhere. I guess that's not too bad seeing as I've been out of the work force for almost 20 years. 😉

I went for a really nice evening walk with dd. All the skating rinks have turned into puddles as our temps went way up today. 

• Like 4

Good brisk walk up a hill through mud yesterday lunchtime. I decided not to run as it was gusting to 50mph, which didn't sound like fun. I am slowly moving back towards full yoga after injury - last night I did a short full-body practice.

Today I'm hoping to run a fast-for-me mile around the park, then wind down after my tutorial with some bedtime yoga. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Good brisk walk up a hill through mud yesterday lunchtime. I decided not to run as it was gusting to 50mph, which didn't sound like fun. I am slowly moving back towards full yoga after injury - last night I did a short full-body practice.

Today I'm hoping to run a fast-for-me mile around the park, then wind down after my tutorial with some bedtime yoga. 

That's some wind!

Workout today and something outside.

• Like 2

@Laura Corin That is some wind! Hope you have a good run today. That's great you can get back to yoga.

@FarmingMomma Congratulations on finishing your 80 day obsession! Hope the new work-out program is good. 

I'll be in virtual meetings and a workshop most of the day. Hopefully I can get out for a walk during daylight hours, but if not I'll walk this evening. 

• Like 4

Crazy day both inside and out! I was in meetings and on the computer all day, though I was watching the snow action through the window. It was snowing non-stop for hours and hours. By the time I went outside (8 pm) the accumulation on the ground was only a few inches. The snow was so wet and compact that it wasn't deep - it was very heavy to shovel, though! 

My only physical activity was a 1 hr walk and shoveling super heavy snow. 

• Like 4

Really good run yesterday.  Another personal best mile - a laughable 'under 14 minutes'.  It felt great and there seem to be no ill effects this morning.  My Garmin-version Couch to 5K has me alternating 1 mile and 1.5 mile runs for several weeks.  I suspect that at some point it will suddenly say, 'Okay, run three miles now.'  I don't know though: you can't see the whole programme in one go.  I have six more weeks out of thirteen.

Today: we have breezy sunshine, so I'll wrap up and take a gentle walk.  I'll try for longer yoga after work.

Have great days, everyone!

• Like 6

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

Crazy day both inside and out! I was in meetings and on the computer all day, though I was watching the snow action through the window. It was snowing non-stop for hours and hours. By the time I went outside (8 pm) the accumulation on the ground was only a few inches. The snow was so wet and compact that it wasn't deep - it was very heavy to shovel, though! 

My only physical activity was a 1 hr walk and shoveling super heavy snow. 

I bet that was heavy shoveling. 

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Really good run yesterday.  Another personal best mile - a laughable 'under 14 minutes'.  It felt great and there seem to be no ill effects this morning.  My Garmin-version Couch to 5K has me alternating 1 mile and 1.5 mile runs for several weeks.  I suspect that at some point it will suddenly say, 'Okay, run three miles now.'  I don't know though: you can't see the whole programme in one go.  I have six more weeks out of thirteen.

Today: we have breezy sunshine, so I'll wrap up and take a gentle walk.  I'll try for longer yoga after work.

Have great days, everyone!

Congrats on the PB!

I think I'm doing legs today. 

I didn't sleep well. The house was even hotter and I had so much excitement and stress yesterday I think that effected me too. I was on the phone half the day with insurance and medical providers and then the excitement of going to get a vaccine (an event an hour away had extra doses and opened it to everyone). Going there I didn't know if we would get it or not, so we were trying to hurry but the road was super curvy. Then the excitement that we (my son and I) did get it. My arm is very slightly sore but I no other affects so far. 

The girls and I played on the trampoline and on my silks, my upperbody is feeling that today, glad it is leg day. I wanted to take a walk but we had to stay close to the house waiting on phone calls. We spent nearly the whole day outside.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Soror said:

Then the excitement that we (my son and I) did get it. My arm is very slightly sore but I no other affects so far. 

Congrats on the vaccine!  That really is exciting.

Every Wednesday after my Eng Lit class I have to do some bedtime yoga then take a long shower otherwise I'm too hyped up to sleep.  Talking a mile a minute and with a fizzing brain.

• Like 3

@Laura Corin Great job on your mile pace! Enjoy your sunshine.

@Soror Awesome you and the dc got your vaccines. It probably won't be until Aug before I'll have an opportunity to get mine. We're slow and we don't have enough vaccines in Canada. 

It's sunny and looks gorgeous outside. I'm going to try to build in more daylight outdoor time into my days. Theoretically it should be possible, I just have to make it happen. I'll be walking with friends this afternoon, which will be really nice. 

• Like 3

@Soror Congrats on the vaccine!

Did the dumbbell workout this morning--I need to do this one more. It's a bit longer, so I can't do it when I'm running late, but it's a good one and not too boring--I don't "clock watch" during it, even though it's longer than most of the ones I do regularly. I did use my lighter weights again (3's and 8's instead of 5's and 10's), and I think that was enough. I'll see if I can make this my regular Thursday workout again and work back up in weight.

• Like 3