Menu

February Well-Trained Bodies

Laura Corin

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Had a productive day yesterday, even got in a workout I'd missed and got lots of cleaning done.

I did some sledding with the kids (just in the yard as we got some snow).

I took no melatonin last night and slept well. I awoke when dh got up at 3:30 but feel good. I went to bed at 8 and feel asleep pretty quickly. Maybe I don't need it anymore with the thyroid med increase or at least during this part of my cycle when sleep is always better. We'll see I'd love to not need help with sleep.

That's awesome! Quality sleep is a wonderful thing. 😃  I've also managed to ditch my sleep-aid of a hot bath in the middle of the night. It dries out the skin so much in the winter, though I do love my baths.

• Like 6

Day of rest yesterday, which is my usual but was also still necessary after recovering from my second vaccine shot. No fever or chills, but I was still fatigued. Feeling pretty good today. I did the treadmill, just slightly slower than my normal speed. And I have my annual mammogram after school. I was due in November but waited due to the Covid surge. I called on Friday to schedule thinking it would be fine after being vaccinated and I expected to be scheduled in late Feb or March, but they had lots of openings. They tried to schedule me for Saturday--glad I didn't take that one! I guess lots of people are skipping mammograms these days.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, wintermom said:

That's awesome! Quality sleep is a wonderful thing. 😃  I've also managed to ditch my sleep-aid of a hot bath in the middle of the night. It dries out the skin so much in the winter, though I do love my baths.

A bath in the middle of the night, lol!

18 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Day of rest yesterday, which is my usual but was also still necessary after recovering from my second vaccine shot. No fever or chills, but I was still fatigued. Feeling pretty good today. I did the treadmill, just slightly slower than my normal speed. And I have my annual mammogram after school. I was due in November but waited due to the Covid surge. I called on Friday to schedule thinking it would be fine after being vaccinated and I expected to be scheduled in late Feb or March, but they had lots of openings. They tried to schedule me for Saturday--glad I didn't take that one! I guess lots of people are skipping mammograms these days.

Rest up and feel better.

Felt great yesterday and had a good workout.

Sleep wasn't as good last night but was ok. Strength work today although I'm already sore.

We have ice here and are expecting more. We've hardly had snow for years and now we've had it twice already with ice now and more ice expected and maybe record breaking cold this weekend.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I walked in the squeaky snow at lunchtime and did gentle yoga at bedtime. The snow is due to fall all day today, so more snow tromping. I'm sending off my hiking boots to be resoled, as snow boots should be fine for a while.

Enjoy your snow!  

2 hours ago, Soror said:

A bath in the middle of the night, lol!

Rest up and feel better.

Felt great yesterday and had a good workout.

Sleep wasn't as good last night but was ok. Strength work today although I'm already sore.

We have ice here and are expecting more. We've hardly had snow for years and now we've had it twice already with ice now and more ice expected and maybe record breaking cold this weekend.

How does ice come in your region? Does it start with rain and freeze on the ground, or fall as sleet?  Snow is fun, but ice is much less fun for driving and walking. 

Just letting you know that I'm joining you with snow and ice. It's currently snowing here and the sky is completely overcast. I'm planning on heading out for a ski after lunch. 

• Like 3

It's been snowing most of the day, but we managed to spot a gap for a walk.  The dog came back with 'snow marshmallows' attached to her legs.  This is the view from my desk; we have snow coming down the chimney too.  It's probably only about 10 centimetres so far, but we usually only get that much about once a year at most.

I'll try to do some yoga later, maybe some Lesley Sansone too, as we did a shorter walk.

20210209_085415.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Enjoy your snow!  

How does ice come in your region? Does it start with rain and freeze on the ground, or fall as sleet?  Snow is fun, but ice is much less fun for driving and walking. 

Just letting you know that I'm joining you with snow and ice. It's currently snowing here and the sky is completely overcast. I'm planning on heading out for a ski after lunch. 

Freezing rain and sleet. The vehicles were encased in ice this morning. The roads are just patchy ice so far but we have a lot more forecasted to come. One of the Vaccine clinics scheduled for this week has already been cancelled. I'm hoping the one MIL is supposed to go to Friday stays open. 

• Like 3

Beautiful, @Laura Corin.

My family conspires against me getting any sleep. I think I got about 3 hours last night. First dh goes to bed at the same time as me (I will talk to him about going to bed later since he gets up later), but he falls asleep first and starts snoring. The cat comes in and gets under the covers and he wants the same spot I want--on the edge of the bed. I eventually go out to the living room to escape the snoring but youngest is not in bed yet--getting done with her bath, makes a little noise. Then I think I got an hour of sleep. Then disabled dd starts screaming at 1:00am. I resettle her but she does not quiet. I can't hear her from my room so I return to my bed. Husband is still snoring. Eventually I return to the sofa and I think I slept from 3:00ish to 5:30. Ugh. Going to be a long day. Only the dog is on my good list.

Did bodyweight circuit x2 and a short yoga.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Ali in OR said:

Beautiful, @Laura Corin.

My family conspires against me getting any sleep. I think I got about 3 hours last night. First dh goes to bed at the same time as me (I will talk to him about going to bed later since he gets up later), but he falls asleep first and starts snoring. The cat comes in and gets under the covers and he wants the same spot I want--on the edge of the bed. I eventually go out to the living room to escape the snoring but youngest is not in bed yet--getting done with her bath, makes a little noise. Then I think I got an hour of sleep. Then disabled dd starts screaming at 1:00am. I resettle her but she does not quiet. I can't hear her from my room so I return to my bed. Husband is still snoring. Eventually I return to the sofa and I think I slept from 3:00ish to 5:30. Ugh. Going to be a long day. Only the dog is on my good list.

Did bodyweight circuit x2 and a short yoga.

Oh dear.  Could you and your husband could take it in turns to be aware at night, and you could wear earplugs on the other days? My Spark Plugs ear plugs have made such a difference to my sleep.

• Like 2

This is just an obnoxious first world VENT.

My tendonitis is not gone.  I don't even think it's better.  I get down to about a 2/10 on pain, the PT has me go on a run, and I'm back to 6 for two days, then maybe 4 for a few days.  Repeat.  My next step is to go to the sports med clinic.  I've got an appointment with my GP on Friday to get the referral, fingers crossed they don't have a long wait.  

Running is my COPING MECHANISM!!!  I am NO LONGER COPING!!!  If I find my DH just standing in the extremely tiny 🤬 kitchen staring into space while I'm trying to cook one more 🤬 time, I am going to hit him with a frying pan.  We have about 3x6ft of floor space in there.  GET OUT!!!  

Vent over.  I would feel better if I could be doing something physical, and I am still walking everywhere (Europe, no car), but lifting weights is mostly out because I can't do anything let-related.  So pushups it is.  Sigh.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

My tendonitis is not gone.  I don't even think it's better.  I get down to about a 2/10 on pain, the PT has me go on a run, and I'm back to 6 for two days, then maybe 4 for a few days.  Repeat.  My next step is to go to the sports med clinic.  I've got an appointment with my GP on Friday to get the referral, fingers crossed they don't have a long wait.  

Running is my COPING MECHANISM!!!  I am NO LONGER COPING!!!  If I find my DH just standing in the extremely tiny 🤬 kitchen staring into space while I'm trying to cook one more 🤬 time, I am going to hit him with a frying pan.  We have about 3x6ft of floor space in there.  GET OUT!!!  

Vent over.  I would feel better if I could be doing something physical, and I am still walking everywhere (Europe, no car), but lifting weights is mostly out because I can't do anything let-related.  So pushups it is.  Sigh.  

which tendon is it? My pulled or torn ligaments in my finger are taking forever to heal too (3 months now), but it's just a finger so it doesn't impact so much.

3 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Sorry you're going through this. The healing process is frustrating. It sounds like you're really missing the intense work-outs that running offers rather then just getting outside to enjoy the sun, scenery, etc. Maybe your PT has some suggestions of modified intense work-outs you can do.

• Like 2

@Soror Ugg. Freezing rain is the worst. Hope things warm up for you soon.

@Ali in OR Hope you get some good sleep tonight.

@Laura Corin Great photo! Looks similar to my view out the window (minus the church). 

I went for a really nice skate ski this afternoon in the sunshine. Now I have to refocus and get writing my paper. I keep staring out the window and wish I was outside. 😉

• Like 3

Cardio Core Flow today (yep, the short one). I slept well--banished the cat and the dh from the room when I went to bed. I'm fine as long as I fall asleep first--I won't usually wake if dh is getting ready for bed in the attached bathroom or if he snores or if the cat jumps on my legs. Slept through the night and woke to my alarm (I'm usually already awake).

Had my mammogram Monday at 4:00 and got an email yesterday saying the results were in my electronic chart, which made me nervous. But the results were fine, so I conclude no one is getting mammograms these days. It's always taken a week for results, and of course usually I have to schedule an appointment 4-6 weeks later (this was 3 days later, and 2 of those were weekend days). Now that I'm vaccinated I've scheduled a bunch of appointments. I was actually hoping to do a couple of weeks from now when I know the vaccine has fully kicked in, but it's done now. I double-masked for the first time, but there was no one there when I went in (the registration line which covers the lab too was about 5 parties long when I came out, so I just got lucky). Anyway, next up is dentist today.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Not obnoxious.  That's really hard.

I've had to cycle through exercise to avoid exacerbating problems.  I have an arthritic knee and two years ago I had to stop running.  I moved to Nordic walking, which got my heart rate up without jarring my knee.    After a lot of strengthening exercises (yoga) I am now trying to get back into running, but this time changing my gait (as recommended by my physio) to a forefoot strike.  It felt very strange at first, but it's becoming more natural now.

Would poles help your walking to feel more like exercise?

---------------

Walk in the snow with Husband - very pretty scenery.  I have my tutorial this evening, so will try to wind down with some bedtime yoga afterwards.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Not obnoxious.  That's really hard.

I've had to cycle through exercise to avoid exacerbating problems.  I have an arthritic knee and two years ago I had to stop running.  I moved to Nordic walking, which got my heart rate up without jarring my knee.    After a lot of strengthening exercises (yoga) I am now trying to get back into running, but this time changing my gait (as recommended by my physio) to a forefoot strike.  It felt very strange at first, but it's becoming more natural now.

Would poles help your walking to feel more like exercise?

---------------

Walk in the snow with Husband - very pretty scenery.  I have my tutorial this evening, so will try to wind down with some bedtime yoga afterwards.

I need to read up on poles because I actually thought of you and your nordic walking and I need to get more informed on it.

I am thinking of spending my pandemic relief check (yep, they mailed me one abroad, LOL) on a running clinic that has this crazy machine that videos you running and then does a whole gait analysis thing.  The physio thinks that I probably have some small form issues that are fine at 5k 3x a week, but not at 10k 6x a week...

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I need to read up on poles because I actually thought of you and your nordic walking and I need to get more informed on it.

I am thinking of spending my pandemic relief check (yep, they mailed me one abroad, LOL) on a running clinic that has this crazy machine that videos you running and then does a whole gait analysis thing.  The physio thinks that I probably have some small form issues that are fine at 5k 3x a week, but not at 10k 6x a week...

Gait analysis sounds good.  Husband got a cheque too. 

It's worth looking at some videos online to get the action right - for fitness you want to push forward with NW poles, not just stabilise yourself with hiking poles.

• Like 3

Walked with DH yesterday - thought we could do a few laps at a local mall since it's snowing AGAIN, but they close at 7pm these days, apparently. So we walked a few laps, and then I finished the 10000 steps at home in the dark with New Dog. IF is also going well this week - now to stay the course. 

Tallied up my long-term weight loss month-by-month today at lunch, and found that very encouraging. It's a wobbly progress, two steps forward & 1 step back, but the overall direction is right, so I will keep at it. -20 lbs in 6 months, and have 12 left to my goal.

@Laura - I'm also considering getting some poles - do you have any beginner ones you'd recommend? (Do they need to be different for different seasons?)

@Ali - I had a mammogram, too, and they did the same thing. And then a month later mailed me a paper that stated "no findings." 

@Soror - sounds like forward progress. Fingers crossed that it continues. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

@Laura - I'm also considering getting some poles - do you have any beginner ones you'd recommend? (Do they need to be different for different seasons?)

I have Lekis,  but they aren't the cheapest.  Make sure you get Nordic Walking poles, as you need that kind of hand harness. They should come with spikes on the bottom with optional angled rubber 'paws' that fit over the spikes for hard surfaces. They are year-round, so far as I know. 

• Like 3

Still haven’t gotten into a steady routine, but I have cut down my 24 minute elliptical mile to about 19.  It’s something. Someday I’ll get back to my in shape range. *Someday.

Huge drama to finally getting my adjustable weights (replacement of the entire set due to one missing “pin”) but I did play around a little bit with some upper body work today.  I don’t really recommend them for the barbell attachment feature unless you’re very narrow. I don’t like the limited hand position at all. I am quite broad shouldered. As dumbbells, they’re fine, but I’d much prefer a regular set.

I’m in a stressed and depressed mode. My brain knows how much better it does with regular exercise, but it’s rough getting my body to cooperate enough to reset.  Not giving up!

• Like 6

Managed to get back to the beach today to run.  I couldn't get the Garmin app to let me rejoin the training programme because of the big gap and because of its being the wrong day of the week.  So I just ran very slowly for twenty minutes.  it felt good and the weather was stunning: blue skies and no wind.

I'll do some gentle yoga later.

Weight a long way up - I've been eating whilst exercise has been difficult, which is not a good plan.

• Like 4

I'm currently laying in bed at 7:20 am. It is the first time I've been able to do that since October. I'm been working mornings 7 days a week since Oct and only took off Christmas- which of course is not a day to sleep in. Today is Chinese New Year and all my classes cancelled AND the older two had school cancelled for the ice. I woke up at 5:35 and was shocked. My alarm is at 4:30 and I'm often up before then. 

I'll be getting up shortly for some tea and a workout. I'm going to swap in a Body Combat/Kickboxing class as after doing two of the Body Attack classes I've determined that I don't care for them and life is too short. They are just old school aerobics, too much jumping.

WEather is bad here. Highway department has a travel advisory because of all the ice with more still expected, north winds are blowing hard, and temps are continuing to drop. I don't know when the ice will melt.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Is there any running form that will work for 10km x 6 days/wk for months at a time? There is very little time for recovery in this kind of schedule. Have you considered varying the distances and types of runs you do throughout the week? 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

I'm walking with friends this afternoon, which will be really nice. It's sunny and I need to tear myself away from the computer and get my body moving more.

My left shoulder was a little painful from skate skiing poling action, so the rest between skiing sessions is helping a lot. I love the muscles that build up with using poles, especially if you're also pushing the body forward as you go. It's especially nice in that there is no overhead motions that can aggravate the shoulders. 

• Like 2

Did a walking workout with some intervals in it this morning. Would love to do a little more today but I think my day is packed, even after school. Yesterday the dentist found a tiny hole in a front tooth--he thinks he can just do a little filing (I don't know the dental terminology here) and not fill it like a cavity and he could have done it yesterday if his assistant was there, but I'll go back in next week. So it just made me glad I got in for the regular cleaning as it's easy to take care of now and hopefully won't become a full-blown cavity.

At one point we had a forecast for snow for the next 4 days but then the low pressure thing went a different direction and it's much warmer than they originally thought. But I think we still have good storms coming--just rain here in the valley instead of snow while pretty much the whole rest of the country prepares for the icy cold stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

Is there any running form that will work for 10km x 6 days/wk for months at a time? There is very little time for recovery in this kind of schedule. Have you considered varying the distances and types of runs you do throughout the week? 

Yes.  🙂  I was being al little hyperbolic.  That is what I was doing when I injured myself.  I realized after the fact that it's probably fine to peak at that distance for a week, but then I need to go back down.  My actual weeks at that mileage had days ranging between 8 and 12 km, with an occasional fast 5k.  I kept running on a sore leg for way too long, simply because I've never been injured and I could still run, so I assumed I was fine and that I'd toughen up.  Sigh.  I forget sometimes that I'm approaching 40 and need to be a little gentler on my body.  

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Yes.  🙂  I was being al little hyperbolic.  That is what I was doing when I injured myself.  I realized after the fact that it's probably fine to peak at that distance for a week, but then I need to go back down.  My actual weeks at that mileage had days ranging between 8 and 12 km, with an occasional fast 5k.  I kept running on a sore leg for way too long, simply because I've never been injured and I could still run, so I assumed I was fine and that I'd toughen up.  Sigh.  I forget sometimes that I'm approaching 40 and need to be a little gentler on my body.  

On a positive note from someone who's been injured lots over the years, if you've never been injured, I'd like to tell you that you will get back to running. This is just a temporary thing. There's no reason to panic and think you won't be able to achieve some amazing goals even if you are approaching 40.  This experience will be a great learning opportunity for you so that in future you'll be able to identify better when to back-off and when you can keep pushing; when to rest and when to modify the activity. 😃

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've been having some knee pain the last couple days.  I made it through day 71/80, leg day, yesterday, but today I decided I'd better take it easy on myself.  So instead of day 72, total body core, I did 21 day fix pilates instead.  Still got a good workout (especially my core), but didn't further irritate my knee.

• Like 6

On 2/9/2021 at 8:18 AM, Laura Corin said:

It's been snowing most of the day, but we managed to spot a gap for a walk.  The dog came back with 'snow marshmallows' attached to her legs.  This is the view from my desk; we have snow coming down the chimney too.  It's probably only about 10 centimetres so far, but we usually only get that much about once a year at most.

I'll try to do some yoga later, maybe some Lesley Sansone too, as we did a shorter walk.

20210209_085415.jpg

Beautiful picture.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FarmingMomma said:

I've been having some knee pain the last couple days.  I made it through day 71/80, leg day, yesterday, but today I decided I'd better take it easy on myself.  So instead of day 72, total body core, I did 21 day fix pilates instead.  Still got a good workout (especially my core), but didn't further irritate my knee.

I like that Pilates workout also.  hope your knee feels better soon so you can finish the last week of 80 day.

• Like 4

Just checking in for accountability.  Working through Chalean extreme lean calendar this week.  I did try MBF advanced for leg day not but did not like the workout format for me.  But hey I gave it a try

Edited by lynn
  • Like 7

24 minutes ago, lynn said:

Just checking in for accountability.  Working through Chalean extreme lean calendar this week.  I did try MBF advanced for leg day not but did not like the workout format for me.  But hey I gave it a try

Would you mind telling me about Chalean extreme? I love her Turbofire workouts, but I have quite a few strength videos so I dont really need it...

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Half hour on the treadmill this morning. My birthday is today; got the ice cream cake in the freezer which I will eat with no guilt. Well, I won't eat all of it--made sure it's one dd likes too. Dh is probably only good for 1 piece, so I'll need her help!

Happy Birthday!

Dancing workout done this morning.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Half hour on the treadmill this morning. My birthday is today; got the ice cream cake in the freezer which I will eat with no guilt. Well, I won't eat all of it--made sure it's one dd likes too. Dh is probably only good for 1 piece, so I'll need her help!

Happy Birthday! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hillcottagemom said:

Would you mind telling me about Chalean extreme? I love her Turbofire workouts, but I have quite a few strength videos so I dont really need it...

IT is more weight lifting focus.  Ive been doing beach body, body beast and needed a change of pace so i do the chalean extreme lean calendar which rotates the three phases of her program.   Each workout includes upper and lower.  It also has good hiit, abs, and stretching videos.  She explains moves very well and encourages to lift heavy.   I recommend it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Happy birthday, @Ali in OR

Long cold family hike (#4) today (fleece-lined leggings for the win!) - makes 4 days of 10,000 steps and achieves my mini-challenge! (I like tiny little goals because I can actually hit them! Haha!) 

Chicken noodle soup for supper - recently, I have discovered the herb "savory", and have been using it my soup along with the sage & thyme. Perfect day for it.

• Like 5

Good snowy walk yesterday - hard work through the snow up the hill. Easy yoga later. 

@wintermom @FarmingMomma other snow people - what socks do you wear for going outdoors in winter? I have a history of chilblains, and my current snow wear isn't working. I wear medium weight smartwools and Oboz snow boots. Should I get thicker Smartwools or sock liners? Or both? Other ideas? Thanks 

20210212_131824.jpg

20210212_131405.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 4

Fwiw I've been wearing 2 pairs of socks in our colder weather. There are probably socks warm enough to make it with one pair but mine don't fit the bill and we don't often have weather this cold so I just double up. They are both some soft wool blends. One is close fitting the other looser, worn with lined boots. 

Planning core workout this morning. I'll be finishing my month with Les Mills and considering doing 3 months of Beachbody. IDK. I was just thinking how much I would like to do some group exercise but of course that isn't going to be happening right now.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Soror said:

Fwiw I've been wearing 2 pairs of socks in our colder weather. There are probably socks warm enough to make it with one pair but mine don't fit the bill and we don't often have weather this cold so I just double up. They are both some soft wool blends. One is close fitting the other looser, worn with lined boots. 

Planning core workout this morning. I'll be finishing my month with Les Mills and considering doing 3 months of Beachbody. IDK. I was just thinking how much I would like to do some group exercise but of course that isn't going to be happening right now.

Thank you - I realised that I had good candidates for inner socks: the light mohair ones that I wear on their own in spring and summer.  I layered my Smartwools, which are looser, over the top.  My insulated boots are roomy enough to cope.  I just took a short walk, but my feet felt pretty good.

I had planned to run today, but it's really cold.  I'm working on an essay today instead, and I'll try to run tomorrow, when it's meant to be about 5 degrees C warmer.

• Like 2