Menu

CLEP

13 minutes ago, Mom21 said:

For those who have gone before us, what made yours decide to go the CLEP route? Which were attempted? Which were passed? What was scored? What prep was done for the test(s)? Please share your experiences.

Two of my kids did the English CLEP.  One signed up for Honors Comp at CC when the teacher was on maternity leave and got a dud, dropped the class took the CLEP instead.  That was a kid taking DE. 

The second actually went to and graduated from high school, but decided not to take AP English as even though she's quite good at English wanted to focus on AP Physics, Calc, and CompSci.  When she got to college and wanted to double major in CompSci/Math, I lamented a bit that she'd skipped AP English as it would be hard to fit those two majors in, and skipping Comp would have been useful (her English/writing was more than good enough to skip it).  Then I thought of the CLEP - no prep, one hour test, voila, two semesters of Freshman Comp gone, just like that, same as if she'd gotten a 5 on the AP.  Yay.

For English, no prep was needed for either kid - but they were both very strong in English already, which is why they didn't want to slog through freshman Comp classes.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 7

Middle gal is my CLEP taker. She wasn’t ready for college at end of high school and not sure what to do. That first year she took 9 CLEP exams and passed them all. Sociology, Humanities, English Lit, Biology, Pre-Calc, Psychology, US History to 1877, US History from 1877, and American Government. Prep work was combined with the stuff she used in our high school years (mfw), modern states (modernstates.org)brush up and prep courses (which in turn gave vouchers for the exam to be free and the test center fee reimbursed), some REA practice tests, and some practice tests from our library using Peterson brand practice test (through the Gale/Cengage references at public library). For English Lit and Humanities, she used the flashcards at InstantCert, Here’s a link to their website if you’re not familiar https://www.instantcert.com/articles/article-how-instantcert-can-help-you-pass-your-clep-exams

She had solid high school homeschool materials. Test prep fill in the gaps study. Took practice exams. Then real exam.

That gave her confidence to take 8 courses at community college to finish associate. And then she took some alternative credit provider courses to continue getting credits, and enrolled at Thomas Edison to finish out bachelors (currently in the final capstone course!) I never imagined we'd be one of "those" But yeah.

Oldest: passed CLEP college algebra after finishing Saxon Alg 2 and some prep work with DIVE cd option and similar practice tests from library. That was mostly for me to feel validated that she knew something. She was sick and tired of reading literature by end of her high school homeschool years so she took CLEP analyzing and interpreting literature. Again, practice exams from resources at library and solid high school stuff. Her university accepted it for Gen Ed literature requirement.

agreeing that it's helpful to know what the target college will accept.  In my oldest dd case it meant one of the exams was just for our high school purposes (college algebra) and the other was college credit.  Her university takes clep college algebra but in her field it was not going to mean anything in degree (engineering and math and comp sci).  For my middle, knowing which CLEP exams did what meant degree planning for a very non traditional path to degree.  There are a few places out there that require some essays with certain exams to grant credit.  So find the fine print for the university.  Also in my state, homeschoolers trying to be eligible for a specific state grant  can use CLEP exams as one way to show "honors and college credit" for that scholarship. 

Edited by cbollin
  • Like 9

We use Modern States as "review" in order to get the free vouchers, and my 3 current teens are using several CLEPs as "final exams" for several of their self-studied home school courses (our goal is outside validation, and this is the easiest avenue open to us). Their true motivation is the chicken sandwich I buy them on the way home from the cc. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Two of my kids did the English CLEP.  One signed up for Honors Comp at CC when the teacher was on maternity leave and got a dud, dropped the class took the CLEP instead.  That was a kid taking DE. 

The second actually went to and graduated from high school, but decided not to take AP English as even though she's quite good at English wanted to focus on AP Physics, Calc, and CompSci.  When she got to college and wanted to double major in CompSci/Math, I lamented a bit that she'd skipped AP English as it would be hard to fit those two majors in, and skipping Comp would have been useful (her English/writing was more than good enough to skip it).  Then I thought of the CLEP - no prep, one hour test, voila, two semesters of Freshman Comp gone, just like that, same as if she'd gotten a 5 on the AP.  Yay.

For English, no prep was needed for either kid - but they were both very strong in English already, which is why they didn't want to slog through freshman Comp classes.

Thank you for sharing! Did either take the ACT or SAT?

2 hours ago, cbollin said:

Middle gal is my CLEP taker. She wasn’t ready for college at end of high school and not sure what to do. That first year she took 9 CLEP exams and passed them all. Sociology, Humanities, English Lit, Biology, Pre-Calc, Psychology, US History to 1877, US History from 1877, and American Government. Prep work was combined with the stuff she used in our high school years (mfw), modern states (modernstates.org)brush up and prep courses (which in turn gave vouchers for the exam to be free and the test center fee reimbursed), some REA practice tests, and some practice tests from our library using Peterson brand practice test (through the Gale/Cengage references at public library). For English Lit and Humanities, she used the flashcards at InstantCert, Here’s a link to their website if you’re not familiar https://www.instantcert.com/articles/article-how-instantcert-can-help-you-pass-your-clep-exams

She had solid high school homeschool materials. Test prep fill in the gaps study. Took practice exams. Then real exam.

That gave her confidence to take 8 courses at community college to finish associate. And then she took some alternative credit provider courses to continue getting credits, and enrolled at Thomas Edison to finish out bachelors (currently in the final capstone course!) I never imagined we'd be one of "those" But yeah.

Oldest: passed CLEP college algebra after finishing Saxon Alg 2 and some prep work with DIVE cd option and similar practice tests from library. That was mostly for me to feel validated that she knew something. She was sick and tired of reading literature by end of her high school homeschool years so she took CLEP analyzing and interpreting literature. Again, practice exams from resources at library and solid high school stuff. Her university accepted it for Gen Ed literature requirement.

agreeing that it's helpful to know what the target college will accept.  In my oldest dd case it meant one of the exams was just for our high school purposes (college algebra) and the other was college credit.  Her university takes clep college algebra but in her field it was not going to mean anything in degree (engineering and math and comp sci).  For my middle, knowing which CLEP exams did what meant degree planning for a very non traditional path to degree.  There are a few places out there that require some essays with certain exams to grant credit.  So find the fine print for the university.  Also in my state, homeschoolers trying to be eligible for a specific state grant  can use CLEP exams as one way to show "honors and college credit" for that scholarship. 

What did your middle gal complete in math (i.e., Algebra 2, Pre-Calc, Trig, Calc) during high school before attempting the Pre-Calc CLEP? Was the Modern States Precalculus course worth her time with that one, apart the free exam voucher? What did she think of it?

How did you present the CLEP College Algebra on your oldest's transcript? 

Did either take the ACT or SAT?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Those two both took both.  My youngest managed to weasel out of them by getting her Associate's and transferring...

So, am I understanding correctly that neither scored out of Freshman Comp (ENGL 101/102?) on the ACT or SAT, but were able to pass the "College Composition" CLEP with no problems? 

2 minutes ago, Mom21 said:

So, am I understanding correctly that neither scored out of Freshman Comp (ENGL 101/102?) on the ACT or SAT, but were able to pass the "College Composition" CLEP with no problems? 

Very few schools allow students place out of intro comp based on SAT scores. (At least not in our area).

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

We use Modern States as "review" in order to get the free vouchers, and my 3 current teens are using several CLEPs as "final exams" for several of their self-studied home school courses (our goal is outside validation, and this is the easiest avenue open to us). Their true motivation is the chicken sandwich I buy them on the way home from the cc. 

For us it’s Chipotle after the AMC...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Okay, I have to ask you, too... if any of yours have taken the ACT or SAT? Are the Modern States courses sufficient review and an accurate depiction of each test taken?

20 minutes ago, Mom21 said:

Our schools don't allow any placement out of Freshman Comp with SAT or ACT scores.  Heck, one of them had a 34 ACT.  Nope.

Some schools don't allow CLEP, or have different score values.  You have to check.

Our state flagship doesn't allow placement out of Freshman Comp even with a 5 on AP Lit (and certainly not ACT/SAT)!  But will allow a high CLEP score (higher than most places), or 5 on AP Language, which is offered in virtually no high school in our state (methinks there's a correlation there).  The high schools here pretty much all offer AP Lit only.

The kid who tested out for DE (starting 11th grade) could have used the score to skip both semesters of college comp at CC, but decided to take the second semester Honors as they still needed an English class on the transcript.  Ended up being a really good thing - the 4-year they went to for freshman year, that same score would have only gotten them out of one semester, but since they'd taken the second semester at CC, still good.  Then they transferred to the Flagship, where the score was now too low (they require a higher score on that one than any other test, and kid had taken it 3 years before at that point, so I think would easily have scored high enough on a retake).  But that school only requires one semester of Comp, so they allowed the 2nd CC semester to sub.  So, still good. 

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

Very few schools allow students place out of intro comp based on SAT scores. (At least not in our area).

Do you happen to know if your state requires all public school students take a college entrance examination (i.e., SAT or ACT, or possibly ACCUPLACER) during high school?

38 minutes ago, Mom21 said:

What did your middle gal complete in math (i.e., Algebra 2, Pre-Calc, Trig, Calc) during high school before attempting the Pre-Calc CLEP? Was the Modern States Precalculus course worth her time with that one, apart the free exam voucher? What did she think of it?

How did you present the CLEP College Algebra on your oldest's transcript? 

Did either take the ACT or SAT?

giggling.. we got ice cream on the way home after clep exams.  And with the pre-calc one, I told her just before they handed her the score sheet, "remember, we get ice cream either way."  Then I saw the pass score (50 and higher was all she needed, she got 57) and I literally happy danced in the waiting room.  Middle gal still had deer in headlights look.  The test center people were laughing at me all in good fun.

anyway: Oldest and transcript.  oh,.  oops, I knew I never did something on that.  oh well.  I didn't actually put it on transcript at all. My cover school would have allowed "honors" but we still wouldn't have "clep" on the transcript just the same way we wouldn't have put "Saxon" on the transcript. CLEP exam was a means to determine stuff, not the name of course.   At this time oldest took it, the state scholarship did not allow clep.  That happened a year after she needed it. all good.  modern states did not exist when she was in high school to the best of my knowledge.

Yes, oldest daughter took ACT and went to traditional path of 4 year university. earned bachelors in electrical engineering, math, and computer science. For this forum her ACT score is "low", it was only a 30.  still placed in Calculus 1 for engineers as a freshman. wink  No, her college would not give credit for her English score either.  But the non flagship state university 1 mile way would have given her credit for freshman comp 1 with a 29 on ACT English.

Middle gal: math is not her strong thing like it is with her dad and older sister.  We did the sequence with MFW curriculum. 9th grade Saxon Alg 1, Jacobs Geometry in 10th. Saxon Alg 2 in 11th (then took ACT at end of 11th grade.  very average score. 24 composite and 24 in math if I recall correctly). 12th grade math was as much of Saxon Advanced book as she got done.  uhm.. I called it Pre Calc on transcript, It was almost a year after high school graduation when she took exam after taking her time with modernstates and practice exams (I think she prepared for 3 months for that clep exam compared to 1 month for others and she worked on one CLEP exam at a time. it's just her.  She liked modernstates stuff well enough. Yes it apparently was worth her time.   She's average learner who works hard.  She 's not math genius like her dad or older sister. It was work. She did problem sets and such.  If her community college had accepted College Algebra or College Math CLEP for credit that is what she would have done.  She practiced using the online calculator that College Board links to on their site for practice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cbollin said:

giggling.. we got ice cream on the way home after clep exams.  And with the pre-calc one, I told her just before they handed her the score sheet, "remember, we get ice cream either way."  Then I saw the pass score (50 and higher was all she needed, she got 57) and I literally happy danced in the waiting room.  Middle gal still had deer in headlights look.  The test center people were laughing at me all in good fun.

Love this!

anyway: Oldest and transcript.  oh,.  oops, I knew I never did something on that.  oh well.  I didn't actually put it on transcript at all. My cover school would have allowed "honors" but we still wouldn't have "clep" on the transcript just the same way we wouldn't have put "Saxon" on the transcript. CLEP exam was a means to determine stuff, not the name of course.   At this time oldest took it, the state scholarship did not allow clep.  That happened a year after she needed it. all good.  modern states did not exist when she was in high school to the best of my knowledge.

I wonder if placing it in a section of the transcript where test records/scores are listed would be a good idea?

Yes, oldest daughter took ACT and went to traditional path of 4 year university. earned bachelors in electrical engineering, math, and computer science. For this forum her ACT score is "low", it was only a 30.  still placed in Calculus 1 for engineers as a freshman. wink  No, her college would not give credit for her English score either.  But the non flagship state university 1 mile way would have given her credit for freshman comp 1 with a 29 on ACT English.

Middle gal: math is not her strong thing like it is with her dad and older sister.  We did the sequence with MFW curriculum. 9th grade Saxon Alg 1, Jacobs Geometry in 10th. Saxon Alg 2 in 11th (then took ACT at end of 11th grade.  very average score. 24 composite and 24 in math if I recall correctly). 12th grade math was as much of Saxon Advanced book as she got done.  uhm.. I called it Pre Calc on transcript, It was almost a year after high school graduation when she took exam after taking her time with modernstates and practice exams (I think she prepared for 3 months for that clep exam compared to 1 month for others and she worked on one CLEP exam at a time. it's just her.  She liked modernstates stuff well enough. Yes it apparently was worth her time.   She's average learner who works hard.  She 's not math genius like her dad or older sister. It was work. She did problem sets and such.  If her community college had accepted College Algebra or College Math CLEP for credit that is what she would have done.  She practiced using the online calculator that College Board links to on their site for practice.

This is so encouraging to know! I really appreciate you sharing all of this!

How long between studying and scheduling/taking a CLEP?

1 hour ago, Mom21 said:

Do you happen to know if your state requires all public school students take a college entrance examination (i.e., SAT or ACT, or possibly ACCUPLACER) during high school?

This will absolutely vary by state/area, so my experience may mean nothing if the policies in your area are different 😉 ... BUT... in case it helps to see one scenario, in our area all high school students doing dual enrollment at the community college take ACCUPLACER as part of the registration process. To do dual enrollment here, a student does NOT have to have an SAT/ACT score. I have seen others on these boards mention that an SAT/ACT score is required in their area for high school students to do dual enrollment.

[As a side note: all college students and post-high school aged adults returning to school at the community college are required to take ACCUPLACER as part of the enrollment process.]

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mom21 said:

Varies widely depending on factors.

with her first clep exam (sociology), she spent 3 months getting ready. Sociology was a new subject for her. Then she was ready quickly (1 month ish) for US HIst 1 and then 2 was a few weeks later.  Pre-Calc she was looking around 3 months review and prep and getting confidence.  Most were 4-6 weeks in her case. By time she did Am. Govt, that was 3 weeks from start review and prep to take it.   Scheduling was done online for the test center. They had time slots of once a month if I recall. So we have projected dates to work with. Finished the modernstates review work, got voucher within 5 business days and scheduled right away based on the test center.   oh, she is slow to average in how fast she works in school. and she had no other classes at the time and no job (just some volunteer stuff a few hours a week)  So it was her full time stuff. I don't recall how many hours a day.

They got to know us in that test center. 9 exams in about 12 months time?  Her final one was the first week of her first class at the college with the center. 

note on scheduling: this will vary from place to place.  Some test centers will have more than one day a month.  And with covid issues, who knows what will be available in your area.  Even in our area, some centers had more openings than the community college. But we liked the location and parking and little things like that.  I know some people who have jammed through clep exams much faster and have stories out there about doing 2 exams a day.  That was not the reality or ability for my daughter.  Other people will study for 2 at a time.  again... my daughter is not wired like that.

in pre-covid days, CLEP exams were available year round.  AP only in May.  so that plays into scheduling as well.

Edited by cbollin
  • Like 2

Because most courses were not new material, the MS time length was reduced for us most of the courses. I did not keep detailed records of how long per day.  Our reason to use MS was the vouchers. The time they give includes person reading the e-textbook in the course. If all one does is watch the video and answer the simple questions about those it will not take that long.  They assume a slow and steady pace to get ready.  PS, I forgot this until this morning. The sociology course my dd took is not the current MS version. Back a few years ago when she did sociology, the modern states linked to the edX version of Arizona State University's "global" (now called Earned Admission**) soc class. It was still free to take it. But that's a big reason that first test took my dd so long. I had forgotten that.  We went through MS and they were in the process of changing the course that semester.

Also a popular form of test prep are the REA Clep guides. includes full length practice tests and some study material. They also pace for about 4 weeks of prep.

**ASU renamed it again. universal learner.

Edited by cbollin
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Mom21 said:

Okay, I have to ask you, too... if any of yours have taken the ACT or SAT? Are the Modern States courses sufficient review and an accurate depiction of each test taken?

Yes, mine have taken the PSAT and SAT (not ACT). The Modern States courses don't really relate to the SAT at all, but have been decent "reviews" for the subject they are targeting. Important distinction: Since we use the Modern States "course" as a review ONLY, the student is learning the core material in an actual (usually year-long, sometimes semester-long course). I'm not really sure if MS "course" by itself is adequate prep, because we've never done it that way; using only their materials would certainly be far less enjoyable to my kids and would likely be met with stiff resistance since "earning college credit" is NOT our goal. (I can see them blitzing through a class just to pick up the score at some point in the future, but we're not there yet.)

12 hours ago, Mom21 said:

The Modern States review course has to be completed before they will issue a voucher, so we don't schedule the CLEP until the voucher arrives. (We are cheap.)

6 hours ago, Mom21 said:

With regards to Modern States courses, was their recommended length and effort applied (e.g., 4 weeks / 6 hours per week), or did you end up modifying the timing of the lessons?

We modified it, too, especially for the skill-type tests like pre-calc, calc, analyzing lit. The students had learned the concepts in regular class, so the MS course was just a brush-up / targeted review. 

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 3

My oldest did dual enrollment earning an AS while in high school. She chose to do a couple of CLEPs in order to not have to take the class at community college since she had taken it at home already. She started with one class at comm college as a freshman; she had to take the Accuplacer and jump through a few hoops since she was below the age of 16. 

I hadn't heard of ModernStates yet, so she didn't use that program for CLEP study. We got a study guide from the library, and she used high school materials for study here at home.  

US History to 1877 - we used FundaFunda's US History (only the first half or so) as a course here at home. She also took American Government. Political science has always been a hobby for her, so I simply provided a textbook and the guide from the library. She skimmed the textbook, took a couple of practice tests, and did the test within a week. She passed the two she attempted easily. 

Middle is a freshman now. She is not ready for dual enrollment. However, she is the type of kid who needs a goal in order to work for school, so she has chosen to get some credits. She is using the Credits Before College curriculum for Psychology now in hopes of taking the CLEP this year. I won the curriculum years ago, and I had completely forgotten I had it LOL. 

Middle is my kid who is fascinated with all things medical, so I have bought old nursing textbooks off of ebay for years that she reads for fun. I expect she has absorbed enough from the various ones to complete the Human Growth and Development CLEP as well. So that one is on the to be attempted list. 

• Like 3

It's really helpful to know what the student's college plans are.  Colleges vary greatly as to which CLEPs they accept, what score is necessary (50 is "passing," but many schools require a higher score), and which CLEPs will actually apply toward the requirements of a specific degree.

Dd24 did her bachelor's degree through Thomas Edison, taking almost every CLEP, as well as several DSSTs.  She graduated with her BA at age 18.

Ds21 is an engineering student at a university that doesn't accept CLEP at all.  He also didn't have any APs.  He'll graduate this spring and go directly into a PhD program.

Dd 19 is a music ed major.  I think she did 8 CLEPs her senior year in high school.  We tried really hard to match them up to her program requirements, and I think we did pretty well.  I believe all except one are counting toward degree requirements.  She also had AP Stats.  On a whim, I had her take AP English Language completely cold -- she didn't even do a practice test.  (I wanted her to, but she didn't get around to it....)  She actually passed the exam!  I wish AP registration was still in February...

Ds 17 has his college choices narrowed to 2 -- one takes CLEPs; the other doesn't.  Depending on his decision, he will either be studying and CLEPing this summer.  Or he won't.  He is at least taking the AP Calculus BC exam this spring.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, skctgbrlis said:

It's really helpful to know what the student's college plans are.  Colleges vary greatly as to which CLEPs they accept, what score is necessary (50 is "passing," but many schools require a higher score), and which CLEPs will actually apply toward the requirements of a specific degree.

Dd24 did her bachelor's degree through Thomas Edison, taking almost every CLEP, as well as several DSSTs.  She graduated with her BA at age 18.

love it and the rest of your paths with different children.

just adding commentary that is a rabbit trail. These days at TESU (Thomas Edison), policies have changed for that route that many homeschoolers have done.  Most all of the DSSTs that used to be Upper Level are no longer upper level recommended by ACE Credit so TESU gives them lower level. All students (as of Jan 1, 2021) have to take 30 regionally accredited credits in the degree plan (6 required at tesu - sos110 and the capstone, but the other 24 can be transferred in).   Still can be done. just not the same way.    It's nice to hear someone else on here who did the TESU route with their students using alternative credit options and credit by exam. I feel less lonely now.  that's why I added that info.  

love hearing the variety of ways CLEP works as part of homeschool stuff.

• Like 4

I have a question.  How do you know when the CLEP tests will be available?  I saw I can go on the college board site and "purchase" my exam, but I assume we have to take it somewhere. 

ETA: it looks like I can get this by signing up for an account, but do I want to create an account in my child's name, or mine?

Edited by cintinative

28 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I have a question.  How do you know when the CLEP tests will be available?  I saw I can go on the college board site and "purchase" my exam, but I assume we have to take it somewhere. 

ETA: it looks like I can get this by signing up for an account, but do I want to create an account in my child's name, or mine?

create account in name of person taking the exam.

how does one know when exam is available?  That is determined by individual test centers and you'll have to check with a center near you. try this locator tool on College board site if you haven't seen that https://clep.collegeboard.org/test-center-search

Open on that will mean all test takers (versus a restricted or "limited" site such as a military base). It does not mean "open for business" as related to covid stuff. 

I know with my middle she was ready to take a 10th clep exam in march of 2020, but the center had to close for in person stuff the day before. oh well.  got refund for test center fee and found another way to earn 6 credits at tesu.

Edited by cbollin
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cintinative said:

You should look around first and find out what local testing sites they are and when/how often they offer them.

The local CC only offers CLEP testing once/month.  There's another CC 45 min away that offers them (or at least pre-Covid, they did) weekly.  So we drove there.  With more advance planning, the once/month would also have worked, lol!

I'd make the account in the kid's name for sure.  If you submit the test scores, they will come right from the College Board, and I'm assuming the Colleges would frown on a test in mom's name.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

You should look around first and find out what local testing sites they are and when/how often they offer them.

I am able to access the possible test sites, but the information about how often they offer them is not on the CB site. Where do you typically find this?

@Matryoshka I am also wondering where the latest learning foreign languages thread is 😃

Edited by cintinative

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

I am able to access the possible test sites, but the information about how often they offer them is not on the CB site. Where do you typically find this?

@Matryoshka I am also wondering where the latest learning foreign languages thread is 😃

I live on a state border, and for both states in question, I had to call the different testing sites and ask. (I actually had more luck e-mailing & "chatting" them on the testing center website.) I have 4-5 realistic local options, and each has different hours / policies.

• Thanks 1

I am able to access the possible test sites, but the information about how often they offer them is not on the CB site. Where do you typically find this?😃

How often a specific test site offers can be found at the test center site, or call directly.  

how does one know when exam is available?  When is determined by individual test centers and you'll have to check with a center near you. 

The link to locator tool was given to help find the center. (where).  my apologies for not being more clear.

Edited by cbollin

I think what I had to do was visit the website of the testing place to see if the info was there, and if it wasn't, actually call them.  

I don't think anyone started one for January?  You should start a February one! 😁

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cintinative said:

I called to set up my appointment with the testing center. The first place had actually stopped administering them completely. They must have notified the CB after my call because they are no longer listed as a site. The second place I called has them available all the time but only allows two people to take them at any one time due to COVID. I'm registered for Thursday (assuming we don't get another snowmageddon).

• Like 2

back this morning and realized something.  Modern States course plus practice exams was enough for psychology clep. Middle gal did not have a psych course in high school.  And it did give her the prep needed for other courses in psych in her college degree path. (creative development had some cross over stuff, industrial/organization psych, stress management, psych of sports and exercise... ) .  I have no way to say if MS is enough for all courses. But that one worked out well.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mom21 said:

Is there some sort of catch that I’m missing with the Modern States free CLEP vouchers, or am I being overly skeptical?

You have to finish every.thing. in the course. There is some language on the webpage somewhere about it being while funding is available, but they must be well-sponsored, because I've never seen a "check back later" notice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MamaSprout said:

You have to finish every.thing. in the course. There is some language on the webpage somewhere about it being while funding is available, but they must be well-sponsored, because I've never seen a "check back later" notice.

Well, yes and no. The videos CAN be put on mute double-speed and just run / advanced, and the questions CAN be answered from material the students have learned in their regular home school classes. Or so I hear. 😉

I can verify that MS *does provide the vouchers 100% free *AND they will reimburse a test center sitting fee, as well (takes a few weeks after the test).

Editing again: I also "tested" the whole process by signing up for and taking a CLEP myself - Analyzing Literature. It was an interesting process, and made me 100% comfortable leading my students into it as well.

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Mom21 said:

Is there some sort of catch that I’m missing with the Modern States free CLEP vouchers, or am I being overly skeptical?

adding with the others.  It's too good to be true, yet it really is. When middle gal did it, there was no catch and every.thing. meant watch the videos and answer the multiple choice questions. and I think it was some threshold to get a certain percentage of them right for the overall course.  If I recall, there was some wording that mention reading the text as part of everything, but not really.  If you're concerned on that, open the text, scroll.  But it's all in the multiple choice questions with video.  use the video tools and on screen transcripts to help.

I was skeptical at first too.  When middle gal started, there was funding for the first 10,000 vouchers.  Then, some chatter as it got closer to that number that more funding came around.  Well, I forget which exam it was, but my middle daughter had voucher number 10,001.  I gulped, but it went through and we got the code, and so did the ones that came after.  I don't know when the funding will expire.  (eta: the voucher number is internal with MS  and is not the same as the code one enters at registration. that will make more sense when one does the process)

There's even links on College Board CLEP site to modern states if that makes it feel more official.  https://clep.collegeboard.org/pdf/modern-states-flyer.pdf

The only catch right now is whether or not a test center is open near you. Some are closed or very limited due to pandemic restrictions.  and it varies. apparently the community college near me is closed, but the state university is open (masks required).

Edited by cbollin

Re: Modern States

You don't have to watch the videos if you already know the answers to the multiple choice questions at the end of each section. Fyi. And I don't think my kids looked at the e-text although they actually watched the videos. (I didn't.)

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Mom21 said:

Does anyone want to share a list of easiest to hardest CLEPs taken?

I would recommend that it might be more profitable to first find out exactly which CLEP exams are accepted for credit towards the degree program by the future college your student will attend. Once you have THAT list, then people could help you whittle down the list with what is "easier".

And note -- what's "easier" for one student, is "harder" for another, depending on each individual student's strong/weak subjects. 😉 

Please don't quote.

I took the American Government CLEP on Thursday. 100 questions (90 count toward your score; they don't tell you which 10 are not graded) in 90 minutes. I took just over 60 minutes & got a scaled 70 (on a 20-80 scale). I thought it was fairly difficult.

My prep:

I taught my kids American Government last semester. I tested through Modern States program without reading the online text or watching the videos. I also watched 6 "10 minute or less" AP government YouTube review videos that, in retrospect, I thought were helpful. I did not finish going through some Quizlet decks that would have likely also been helpful. I will be recommending those as prep for my two girls who will be taking the same CLEP within the next month. (Per my signed agreement with the CB, I am not disclosing any content, just verifying which prep materials would likely increase scores.)

Testing Experience:

The test center people at a decent sized state university were very uptight about what I wore--making me remove a piece of religious jewelry before going in to test (after having me take my watch off, show them my ankles wrists, and turn all my pickets inside out). Honestly, I was surprised I didn't have to remove my hair scrunch and take off my flannel shirt (that I was wearing over another shirt).

The test center people also thought I did "very well" so they must be used to lower scores on that exam.

Please don't quote.

• Like 4

Yes, a CLEP  score of 70-80 is really really really good.  Many people think of that as getting an A in the course on most exams with that score.

regarding experiences of easiest to hardest, there is a list out there that seems to reflect majority of experiences. Here http://www.free-clep-prep.com/clep-difficulty-list.html

That person's list goes back many years. Some of prep materials on that site may or may not be current if exams changed... blah blah blah.. But person made a rough idea of easy to hard and put levels on them (1-5 with 1 being easy).  With that said, my middle daughter got a score in the 60s on Amer Govt (a Level 4 hard), and a high 50s (57? 58?) on another Level 4 hard (Pre Calc).

At the community college and ultimately at Thomas Edison, she needed score of 50 and higher on all of the exams she took in order to receive credit toward degree.   They give CR for credit.  But did not give a letter grade.  This is similar to my personal experience in the 1980s with my university not giving letter grade for AP scores.

However: College Board has a list of "grade of B level equivalent scores" on its site that some college might use or might not. ACE (American Council on Education) recommends college credit at 50 and up (in other words if person got a C in the class).  There are even reports out there of some colleges granting credit for a handful of exams with 47 and up.  That's rare but I mention it to show the point that colleges can do what they want with it.  But it still is general advice with yeah for 50 and up.

Here is the link to the "grade of B level equivalent scores" https://clep.collegeboard.org/develop-your-clep-program/create-a-clep-policy/ace-credit-recommendations/b-level-score-recommendations

This is another list out there from an unofficial source with other cut offs.

Steve Gloer, the person in charge at InstantCert (which has subscription service for CLEP prep), has an article about CLEP pass rates. That might give some insight into "easy to hard" but has some limitations to.  here  https://www.instantcert.com/articles/article-CLEP-Exam-Pass-Rates

If you use the REA practice exams, they have a score list that gives you an idea if you are going to pass.  Same with Peterson's. You'll know if you're working it right and ready.  Or at least that was middle gal's experience.  And she is not a hot shot super genius first born homeschool academic queen. ACT of 24 reflects accurately on average ability but college ready.

Hope some of that helps.  I know it was a lot to read.

14 hours ago, Mom21 said:

I've modified my original question, looking for the experience of others, not advice on what we should do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mom21 said:

Does anyone want to share their list of easiest to hardest CLEPs taken?

PS: yes, test centers will make sure you don't take in stuff you can't use.  Middle gal didn't have to remove jewelry.  But did have to store purse and ID in test center provider locker.

Also, I'm looking for the list that's out there that mentions more about overlap and suggested order on a handful of exams. For example, if student takes US History 1 and 2, then they tend to feel even more prepared for the Am Govt exam as there is some overlap.  One still needs to do prep work on the Gov't exam. I'm just saying the other two exams are the pre-prep for it.  And I can't remember the time test suggested order with Humanities and Literature ones...  I'd have to go back and find which order middle gal did those in.  But that was a case of more overlap.  And she benefited from the InstantCert flashcards as part of prep for both of those.   If I find that list somewhere, I'll be back with it. Can't remember if it was on dualcreditathome's workshop, or over on cook-derosa's blog homeschoolingforcollegecredit. or where.. where did I learn that?

edit to add: can't really find the info about all of that other than this: Literature CLEPs, most people take Analysis and Interpreting before Amer or Eng because it's more of reading comprehension than specific stuff. My middle gal had reasons for not doing that and it was all about what community college accepted. long story.  US History can help as part of prep work for Govt'. math is sequential by name of course.  Natural Science -- should have some biology and chemistry done before clep.  In several homeschool circles, it is common to do US History 1 or Analysis/Inter Lit as one of the first clep exams.

Edited by cbollin
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

@RootAnn I didn't want to quote you :-).

My boys are currently taking a year long Honors US Government and Politics course.  The plan is for them to take the CLEP when the class is complete.  So far, I've purchased the $10 CB guide with sample questions and want them to go through Khan Academy's US Government and Civics as review.  I'm also planning to get a prep book with sample tests.

This will be their first CLEP test.  They did take the Biology Subject Test in August so they do have some testing experience.  With Subject Tests no longer an option, I'd like them to get a few CLEPS under their belts for support for their transcript rather than for college credit.

Any advice or other reviews we should be focusing on?

Thanks so much!

• Like 2

Thanks for not quoting! @mlktwins

There are some Quizlet decks with sample questions. Some are longer than others... Terminology is important. (This site has a definitions section that would likely be good for that.) I thought the YouTube videos 10 Minutes or Less were good. There are 6 of them. Useful for a "final review." There are a couple of YouTube videos that cover important Supreme Court cases. (Here's one that is usually recommended.) Pick one to have them watch. There seems to be a few court cases either asked about directly or where it helps to know something about it to answer the question.

If they get a feel for the type of questions & how they are asked, I think that helps. There is another CB pdf floating around on the internet from 15-16. Not sure if it is the same as the current one you purchased. I'm not sure you need a to buy another review book as there are some good free review things on the web. The Quizlet decks are honestly pretty good review if you can get them to go through one or two.

Have them watch their time during the test; it will be on the computer monitor during the whole test. I didn't use all my time but I expect my kids will. They're testing in a few weeks.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

They're testing in a few weeks.

That so much @RootAnn!  I am keeping track of this great information!

I did just call 2 local CC's in my area (one of them is one of the largest in the country).  Neither are offering the CLEP at this time because of COVID  Hopefully they open up for testing in the summer when my boys would be ready to take it.

Good luck to your kiddos!!!!!

• Like 1

Yes,  CB said both of these locations were open.  They aren't open for anyone and all their classes are currently on-line.  I also asked about DE for the summer or next year and all the math/English placements tests are currently cancelled for DE.  I need to do some more research and figure out what they might accept in place of those.  Mine don't have the SAT or ACT under their belt yet.  

A couple of our public schools say they have limited space, but our county is just starting back to hybrid this week and I don't think it's a good week to call.  I will definitely check more locations in the next month or so.

• Sad 1